Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Norburn in pole to earn a contract

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Norburn in pole to earn a contract Empty
PostSubject: Norburn in pole to earn a contract   Norburn in pole to earn a contract EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 10:55 am

John Sheridan likes the look of Plymouth Argyle trialist Oliver Norburn

Hope he is given a chance to prove his worth against stiffer competition before JS offers him Hourihane's old squad number or not.
It would stink of panic buying if he is signed based on performances against non league teams to me. Lets see how he copes against the odds then decide. cheers 

Capriotti will play tomorrow but wont be signed. The search for more random unknowns to fill Andres Gurrieri position too.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Norburn in pole to earn a contract   Norburn in pole to earn a contract EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 11:09 am

Angry wrote:

Hope he is given a chance to prove his worth against stiffer competition before JS offers him Hourihane's old squad number or not.
It would stink of panic buying if he is signed based on performances against non league teams to me. Lets see how he copes against the odds then decide. cheers 

Capriotti will play tomorrow but wont be signed. The search for more random unknowns to fill Andres Gurrieri position too.

Sheridan said that he always liked Norburn at Bristol Rovers,so if he was signed it wouldn't just be on the basis of pre season friendlies.From what i can gather,there may have been some off field problems which led to his departure from Bristol Rovers-their fans seemed to think that he was a very talented player and for the most part were sorry to see him go.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Norburn in pole to earn a contract   Norburn in pole to earn a contract EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 11:27 am

Greenskin wrote:
Angry wrote:

Sheridan said that he always liked Norburn at Bristol Rovers,so if he was signed it wouldn't just be on the basis of pre season friendlies.From what i can gather,there may have been some off field problems which led to his departure from Bristol Rovers-their fans seemed to think that he was a very talented player and for the most part were sorry to see him go.

I've read criticism of Norburn that he is lazy, over ambitious (trying Pirlo passes and losing possession), doesn't track runs and is physically weak in the tackle.

Basically Bristol Rovers fans wanted a bit more fight out of him to win midfield battles - But Rovers fans will readily admit the lad has talent and can play. His youth development at Chelsea and Leicester City is testament to that.

He is only 21 which is a very young age (unless your name is Luke Young, by which you should be 6 foot 2 and have scored 25 goals), and his physical development alongside maturing mentally may see him progress rapidly under Sheridan just as Hourihane did.

It seems like a good signing, but I was expecting for a higher calibre replacement for Hourihane really so it seems a bit underwhelming. Sheridan must have been looking for nearly a month though, so you can't blame him for not trying to find better.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Norburn in pole to earn a contract   Norburn in pole to earn a contract EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 1:44 pm

ejh wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
Angry wrote:

I've read criticism of Norburn that he is lazy, over ambitious (trying Pirlo passes and losing possession), doesn't track runs and is physically weak in the tackle.

Basically Bristol Rovers fans wanted a bit more fight out of him to win midfield battles - But Rovers fans will readily admit the lad has talent and can play. His youth development at Chelsea and Leicester City is testament to that.

He is only 21 which is a very young age (unless your name is Luke Young, by which you should be 6 foot 2 and have scored 25 goals), and his physical development alongside maturing mentally may see him progress rapidly under Sheridan just as Hourihane did.

It seems like a good signing, but I was expecting for a higher calibre replacement for Hourihane really so it seems a bit underwhelming. Sheridan must have been looking for nearly a month though, so you can't blame him for not trying to find better.

Which is why he needs to play against a stronger team before being offered a 6month - 2 year contract see if all they say he is.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Norburn in pole to earn a contract   Norburn in pole to earn a contract EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 2:47 pm

ejh wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
Angry wrote:

He's gone, he showed promise in his early stages but he was pap in his final season, hence why he was released.

Get over it.
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

PostSubject: Re: Norburn in pole to earn a contract   Norburn in pole to earn a contract EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 5:20 pm

If Norburn signs who's shocked? its a typical Brent/Argyle recruit, cheap and desperate, should fit in with the cheap and desperate sailsbury keeper, its Coming together nicely Sleep
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: Norburn in pole to earn a contract   Norburn in pole to earn a contract EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 6:05 pm

Angry wrote:

Capriotti will play tomorrow but wont be signed.

So what is the point in playing him?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Norburn in pole to earn a contract   Norburn in pole to earn a contract EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 7:50 pm

Rickler wrote:
Angry wrote:

Capriotti will play tomorrow but wont be signed.

So what is the point in playing him?

Probably js playing fair with the lad for coming all this way for nothing i guess.
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: Norburn in pole to earn a contract   Norburn in pole to earn a contract EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 8:24 pm

I would still like to know how a NCAA div 3 player gets a trial in the first place?

At that standard, there must be better pub side players available locally?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Norburn in pole to earn a contract   Norburn in pole to earn a contract EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 8:34 pm

Rickler wrote:
I would still like to know how a NCAA div 3 player gets a trial in the first place?  

At that standard, there must be better pub side players available locally?

I dont know but whoever his agent is he is a good salesman if he can get a player like like that a trial abroad.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Norburn in pole to earn a contract   Norburn in pole to earn a contract EmptyFri Jul 18, 2014 10:25 pm

sufferedsince 68 wrote:
If Norburn signs who's shocked? its a typical Brent/Argyle recruit, cheap and desperate, should fit in with the cheap and desperate sailsbury keeper, its Coming together nicely Sleep

This is what I am saying - we ditch young for not fulfilling his potential, lose Conor Hourihane, and could well sign a 21 year old who was released from a Conference bound club for not fulfilling HIS potential. WTF?

Let's be honest, we've mismanaged the midfield strategy somewhere. If we end up signing Norburn and calling it quits we will arguably be weaker in midfield that 12 months ago.

I am still unsure about Sheridan's insistence on Tyler Harvey as a midfielder as well.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Norburn in pole to earn a contract   Norburn in pole to earn a contract Empty

Back to top Go down

Norburn in pole to earn a contract
Page 1 of 1