AuthorMessage
Tgwu

Young to Torquay Empty
PostSubject: Young to Torquay   Young to Torquay EmptyWed Jun 18, 2014 9:40 pm

So their fans site reports

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

Young to Torquay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Young to Torquay   Young to Torquay EmptyWed Jun 18, 2014 9:46 pm

Quite surprised hes gone to the Conference but we needed to be getting shot of the likes of him if the club is to be serious contenders next season.
"Local bey" dosnt hold any weight in the real football world, only in the mind of insular parochial Janners who let heart rule head in favor of the local lads.
Young was crap last season (fact) Sheridan was 120 per cent right in not giving him a new contract.
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

Young to Torquay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Young to Torquay   Young to Torquay EmptyWed Jun 18, 2014 9:55 pm

I was thinking I might go and watching some of their game next season, but the pig said he would be going
Back to top Go down

Young to Torquay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Young to Torquay   Young to Torquay EmptyWed Jun 18, 2014 10:07 pm

Tgwu wrote:
I was thinking I might go and watching some of their game next season, but the pig said he would be going

No executive box?

A new opportunity for Nickkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk maybe
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Young to Torquay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Young to Torquay   Young to Torquay EmptyWed Jun 18, 2014 10:15 pm

Is this just a rumour? Surprising if it happens, though if that's the best offer Young has got then it kinda justifies Sheridans judgement.
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

Young to Torquay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Young to Torquay   Young to Torquay EmptyWed Jun 18, 2014 10:53 pm

It was disappointing he left as he was a Plymouth Bhey, but he was far too inconsistent. With Cox lined up he wouldn't have started many games and could be seen as a waste of a wage (ok back up though). Good Luck to him and the Chipnickers (if he signs)
Back to top Go down
jocktheknife

jocktheknife

Young to Torquay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Young to Torquay   Young to Torquay EmptyWed Jun 18, 2014 11:41 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
Is this just a rumour? Surprising if it happens, though if that's the best offer Young has got then it kinda justifies Sheridans judgement.

It's a done deal.

He apparently turned down more money at Colchester to sign for us.

Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

Young to Torquay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Young to Torquay   Young to Torquay EmptyWed Jun 18, 2014 11:55 pm

Welcome Jtk to ATD!

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
jocktheknife

jocktheknife

Young to Torquay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Young to Torquay   Young to Torquay EmptyThu Jun 19, 2014 12:13 am

mouldyoldgoat wrote:
Welcome Jtk to ATD!

Cheers pal, been a lurker for a while...must admit that reading about the shenanigans at your club over the last couple of years has made our long slow slide from (nearly) being the best side in Devon to non lge oblivion almost bearable.

I walk my dog round Oldway often, I'll report on the progress that Brent is making in restoring that beautiful old mansion....don't wait up!
Back to top Go down

Young to Torquay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Young to Torquay   Young to Torquay EmptyThu Jun 19, 2014 12:13 am

Czarcasm wrote:

I wouldn't say that at all.

Let all the managers and scouts in the country see Luke Young for a whole season, like us fans have, and they might be inclined to snap him up. However I imagine it is a case of Luke who? for most of them.

Given that Young was restricted to bench appearances, it was quite hard for him to impress anyone. He came on several times around Christmas though, changed games and scored goals.

To receive a scout report at a glance all you would see is 'Luke Young, less than 10 starts 2013/14, local lad, RELEASED BY MIDTABLE LEAGUE 2 CLUB'.

It hardly makes him look like the next best thing, worth the time and patience to develop. Are Argyle ever going to sign say a young player released by Kidderminster? Fans would be disgusted without knowing the next thing about him. "IF THEY RELEASED HIM HE MUST BE SHIT".

Sheridan's decision has made Luke Young making a career for himself very difficult. He has made a solid choice with Torquay - local, virtually guaranteed first team football at a vital age, good chance at promotion back to the football league. Within two years he'll have acquired a reputation in the non-league, and the latest Crawley/Fleetwood non league all stars team will be after him, like with Matt Tubbs and Jamie Vardy. Although I have to say I can't believe Exeter didn't go in for him.

I am still fairly confident the lad will go on to much brighter things than the non leagues.
Back to top Go down
GreenSam

Young to Torquay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Young to Torquay   Young to Torquay EmptyThu Jun 19, 2014 12:25 am

Amen ejh- that said, Exeter have still got their transfer embargo.

Surprised Young was so reluctant to leave home that he turned down Colchester for more money and a higher league though. I think it could have been the making of him playing at a higher level than this one away from some of the more 'industrious' midfielders in league two.
Back to top Go down

Young to Torquay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Young to Torquay   Young to Torquay EmptyThu Jun 19, 2014 1:35 am

GreenSam wrote:

Surprised Young was so reluctant to leave home that he turned down Colchester for more money and a higher league though. I think it could have been the making of him playing at a higher level than this one away from some of the more 'industrious' midfielders in league two.

First team football is the priority, and would he have got it? He'll be adored at Torquay, and at 21, 22, or 23, plenty of clubs will take a chance to sign him IF he earns the rave reviews we all know he is capable of.

To go to Colchester, he'd have to hit the ground running or end up in the reserves. Like Reuben at Yeovil - he could still have plenty to show the manager and fans, but it is no use when no one is interested in looking any more.

Was it Sheridan or Branston who said Young needed to get his head out of his arse, move out of Plymouth and learn the real world of football, of life on his own without his friends and family bubble - and get his edge back? Young might have ignored that particular advice to venture out alone, but I think he has made the right decision to take one step back for the benefit of his career. The likes of Colchester and League One clubs can always bid for him in 1 - 2 seasons time - or he could walk there a free agent.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

Young to Torquay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Young to Torquay   Young to Torquay EmptyThu Jun 19, 2014 8:06 am

Saw him play in the 5 - 1 drubbing at Oxford in 2011[ my last, live, emotional experience with Argyle] and thought that although slight in build he was the only Argyle player who had a good first touch and moved like a proper player.
Think moving away from the region and toughening up mentally as well as physically, would have been better than the soft route of going to Torquay and remaining a home boy. He'll still be drinking the water too.
Back to top Go down

Young to Torquay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Young to Torquay   Young to Torquay EmptyThu Jun 19, 2014 10:03 am

ejh wrote:
GreenSam wrote:

First team football is the priority, and would he have got it? He'll be adored at Torquay, and at 21, 22, or 23, plenty of clubs will take a chance to sign him IF he earns the rave reviews we all know he is capable of.

To go to Colchester, he'd have to hit the ground running or end up in the reserves. Like Reuben at Yeovil - he could still have plenty to show the manager and fans, but it is no use when no one is interested in looking any more.

Was it Sheridan or Branston who said Young needed to get his head out of his arse, move out of Plymouth and learn the real world of football, of life on his own without his friends and family bubble - and get his edge back? Young might have ignored that particular advice to venture out alone, but I think he has made the right decision to take one step back for the benefit of his career. The likes of Colchester and League One clubs can always bid for him in 1 - 2 seasons time - or he could walk there a free agent.
It was BRANSTON talking about him on Sparkseys show. He said that people needed to stop going on about his potential because if he doesn't start producing goals and pin point crosses then he won't make it, funnily enough he hasnt. I always tipped him to do great things at Argyle but he didn't, we can't afford potential that is for teams with reserves, goodbye and best of luck Luke, maybe this will give him the kick up the arse he obviously needs.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Young to Torquay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Young to Torquay   Young to Torquay EmptyThu Jun 19, 2014 11:12 am

Iggy wrote:
ejh wrote:
GreenSam wrote:

It was BRANSTON talking about him on Sparkseys show. He said that people needed to stop going on about his potential because if he doesn't start producing goals and pin point crosses then he won't make it, funnily enough he hasnt. I always tipped him to do great things at Argyle but he didn't, we can't afford potential that is for teams with reserves, goodbye and best of luck Luke, maybe this will give him the kick up the arse he obviously needs.

Yep. That's about the size of it.
Back to top Go down

Young to Torquay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Young to Torquay   Young to Torquay EmptyThu Jun 19, 2014 12:32 pm

Iggy wrote:
ejh wrote:
GreenSam wrote:

I would say 8 goals from 99 appearances before the age of 21, in a typically deepish (well, hardly attacking) midfield role, is not to be sniffed at.

Young scored as many in his part time campaign last season as Blizzard did in his total 62 games for Yeovil, and in Blizzard's total 70 appearances for Bristol Rovers. He scored more than Chadwick did in 44 appearances up front, after his return.

If at 21 we are are releasing him for lack of goals when he barely plays, yet outscores plenty of others, it is extremely sad.

I think the reality is we released him because he is quite slow and immobile, not strong, and struggles aerially. He essentially needs a midfield built around him with pace, guile (Hourihane) and a tackling enforcer who can dominate in the air (Wotton) to cover these duties for him. I can only draw the same conclusions as GreenSam in believing that if he had come through a Spanish club, he would have been the pick of the academy and the one true player that the side was going to be built around, almost certainly at 4th tier level.

As I say, Italy brought back a slow, ageing player who couldn't run, couldn't tackle, but just sat deep and kept the side ticking over with his meticulous possession play - and got to the Euro 2012 final with him as the star man. Silly to suggest Luke Young is as good as Andrea Pirlo, but he has shown himself to have a similar effect at League Two level - he has come on to ping passes like a quarterback, when in the preceding 55 minutes Argyle haven't strung together 3 or 4 coherent passes. Shown maturity, composure, vision and playmaking instincts way above anyone else in the Argyle squad, and way beyond his years. Of course Luke Young was no Andrea Pirlo, but I doubt Pirlo had 90% pass success rate aged 20/21 either - Young essentially, is nowhere near his creative peak.

In releasing him, Sheridan admitted that the prerequisites for a good League Two midfielder are pace, strength, engine and heading. Passing, composure, technique and vision are secondary functions of a good CM. If this isn't the case, how on earth can you justify Wotton meriting a contract alongside Young's release? Some point to Wotton's ability to play CB, but with his legs looking as mobile as Taribo West's, if Wotton plays CB next season we will be asking for trouble. Wotton is an emergency CB that must be considered as risky as playing lightweight Blizzard in the back 4.
Back to top Go down

Young to Torquay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Young to Torquay   Young to Torquay EmptyThu Jun 19, 2014 12:54 pm

Because Wotton has that wealth of experience that will stop a young team getting bullied off the pitch which happened a few times the season before last. Completely different player signed for completely different reasons. If  Young bosses the conference and comes back to batter us in this or a higher league then you can say I told you so, personally I don't think that it will happen.
Back to top Go down
stephensdad

Young to Torquay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Young to Torquay   Young to Torquay EmptyThu Jun 19, 2014 1:25 pm

For me, Nathan Thomas is a far better prospect and is two years younger and a lot less experienced. For someone who played over 100 games, I don't recall to many highlights.
Back to top Go down

Young to Torquay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Young to Torquay   Young to Torquay EmptySun Jun 29, 2014 9:44 am

I hope Luke Young goes on to have a good career, but with a mentality that would rather take the easy option it doesn't bode well. If an offer from Col U was on the table he should have gone for it, perhaps he doesn't believe in himself enough to fight for a first team place at a League 1 team, in which case what good would have have been to us.

Like Summerfield before, with some saying what a quality player he was/destined for the championship, I doubt he'll ever play much above League 2/Conf level. It's alright having some ability, but if you don't have a winning mentality then you don't go far.
Back to top Go down
jocktheknife

jocktheknife

Young to Torquay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Young to Torquay   Young to Torquay EmptySun Sep 07, 2014 1:14 am

Just to report in....Luke is tearing it up at this level, which won't come as a surprise to some of you.

Seriously been impressed with his attitude, getting released by his home town club must have been shattering for him but he's rolled his sleeves up and got stuck into life down in the Conf.

Hargreaves has built a very youthful side here and surprisingly made Young captain and it seems to be an inspired move, he's obviously too good for this level skill wise but the desire and leadership he's showing has seriously impressed us.

2 cracking goals today and could have had more....hopefully he can lead us back up, either way he won't be down here for long.

Amazed you let him go....but maybe what the player needed.
Back to top Go down

Young to Torquay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Young to Torquay   Young to Torquay EmptySun Sep 07, 2014 4:39 am

Good luck to Young and the Turks, Hope you come back up this season and the Greeks take your place in the conference Very Happy . I think Hargreaves could become a very good manager and maybe a future Argyle manager. drunken Sleep
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Young to Torquay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Young to Torquay   Young to Torquay EmptySun Sep 07, 2014 7:56 am

I really hope it works out for Young and Hargreaves. Luton are a good example of how difficult it can be to get outta the Conference though. There'll always usually be a team that everything clicks with, and only being one automatic place means the rest scrapping for the playoff lottery.

Loved Hargreaves as a player. Standout goal for me was a screamer into the top corner at the Madjeski in about '99 in front of thousands of us. Be great if he can get Torquay back up and take the helm here at some point in the future.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

Young to Torquay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Young to Torquay   Young to Torquay EmptySun Sep 07, 2014 10:06 am

Czarcasm wrote:
I really hope it works out for Young and Hargreaves. Luton are a good example of how difficult it can be to get outta the Conference though. There'll always usually be a team that everything clicks with, and only being one automatic place means the rest scrapping for the playoff lottery.

Loved Hargreaves as a player. Standout goal for me was a screamer into the top corner at the Madjeski in about '99 in front of thousands of us. Be great if he can get Torquay back up and take the helm here at some point in the future.

Remember that one,was sat right behind the line of it,one of the best Argyle goals ever.

Very pleased to see Luke Young doing so well,i was surprised when he was released but maybe the move was of benefit to both parties when all's said and done.He hadn't really nailed down a place in the team down here and the extra responsibility of having a regular place and the captaincy seems to have been the making of him.Good for him,long may it continue.
Back to top Go down

Young to Torquay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Young to Torquay   Young to Torquay EmptySun Sep 07, 2014 1:51 pm

AstiSpumante wrote:
Good luck to Young and the Turks, Hope you come back up this season and the Greeks take your place in the conference Very Happy . I think Hargreaves could become a very good manager and maybe a future Argyle manager. drunken Sleep

sounded like an aviva there asti lol

only time will tell if letting young go was a mistake not now.
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

Young to Torquay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Young to Torquay   Young to Torquay EmptySun Sep 07, 2014 2:13 pm

Czarcasm wrote:

seem to recall an even better one the round before at brighton !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Young to Torquay Empty
PostSubject: Re: Young to Torquay   Young to Torquay Empty

Back to top Go down

Young to Torquay
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next