Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread!

Go down 
+15
Han Solos Other Ship
argyl3
Tringreen
Lord Melbury
Coxside_Green
stephensdad
`rgill
zyph
seadog
Jethro
GreenSam
Sir Francis Drake
Dick Trickle
PlymptonPilgrim
Elias
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Coxside_Green

The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread!   The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread! - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 18, 2014 5:52 pm

Sam, I don't think you can compare Bradford with us.  Didn't they also have an amazing & profitable cup run?  Any additional income we might've gained through promotion would soon be 'lost'.

I'd also say Luggy would disagree with you. In his own words he said he tinkered with the squad to avoid play-offs as he didn't believe the squad were ready to step up a league.
Back to top Go down

The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread! - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread!   The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread! - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 18, 2014 5:58 pm

And still, even after another drubbing, we could still make it into the play offs lol!
Back to top Go down
GreenSam

PostSubject: Re: The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread!   The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread! - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 18, 2014 6:00 pm

I know the quote he said as, coincidentally enough, I've been re-reading his memoirs from our title winning season fairly recently.

He said he'd have taken promotion in 2000/01 if he could choose but he didn't feel we were quite ready and it would have just made his job harder than it already was. He didn't actually say he wouldn't take it or tried to avoid it.

True about Bradford would have more money to spend but I still think we'd have had enough to avoid the drop in League One. And if the rumours of incoming financial implosion are true, I know for a fact I'd sooner be fighting relegation from League One than from League Two.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread!   The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread! - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 18, 2014 6:05 pm

Yea Man wrote:
And still, even after another drubbing, we could still make it into the play offs lol!

Do we want to be though? Our collective ambitions have been built up on our recent mini revival only to be fecking squandered again. We're too inconsistent and poor. I think we'll be humiliated in any sort of play-off scenario.

Just forget this season FFS. Try again next season. Though feck knows why I'm even bothering with next season. As per this season. I'll be picking my games very carefully.
Back to top Go down
Coxside_Green

PostSubject: Re: The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread!   The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread! - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 18, 2014 6:10 pm

We've obviously read different sources Sam so maybe I'm mistaken. Pretty sure I read it in the Herald and it was never disputed but then we all know the Herald isn't the most accurate with quotes.

It's difficult to disagree with your last sentence too but then that's more to do with Brent's ownership rather than where we 'should' be as a football club.
Back to top Go down
Dick Trickle

PostSubject: Re: The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread!   The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread! - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 18, 2014 6:18 pm

Coxside_Green wrote:
Dick Trickle wrote:
It's okay though because Longwell Green says it is:

Pashitty wrote:
Mid table finish fine by me.

Had we sneaked up, we were grossly underprepared for next season.

Build gradually, get it right, long term see the benefits.

Virtually every team in the bottom two divisions are so under the cosh financially that long term contracts are a thing of the past. Most clubs finish the season with only 8 or 9 players. Surely if we got promoted with the additional revenue that would generate we simply look for league one loanees and not league 2.

Anyway who wants success and promotion. Over rated. Wankers.

And we've conceded a penalty.

This club is feckin shite and I'm bored of it.

FWIIW I partly agree with Longwell.

That's not to say a mid-table finish is fine, it isn't.  We've been in this dogshit league long enough now to have built a decent team not only capable of promotion but also capable of competing in League 1.  There's no excuse for us to be looking up to Rochdale, Fleetwood etc (and I don't mean that with any disrespect towards those clubs, it's just an indication of how shit we are).

That said I believe if we had sneaked up via play-offs we would've been relegation favourites.  If we're going to go up, we need to stay up and never end up in this shit league again.  Even the best 5 or 6 of our current squad would struggle in League 1 (McCormick aside), too many changes would've been needed IMO.

In the modern day football world I disagree with you. Most of the teams in the bottom 2 divisions if they signed no one would report for pre-season training on 1st July with 8 professionals. Every team is a carcass after the season finishes. As it stands we're not even prepared for league 2. We need to sign half a team just to compete in league 2.

Teams in the bottom 2 leagues do not evolve anymore, they are a rolling 12 month "project".

A lengthy contract is for a maximum of 2 years and most are 12 months or even half a season. Clubs exist from transfer window to transfer window.

Look at the players who are left next year and how many do you think we need to sign? Reid is not going to stay so how do you replace him? To succeed in this league you need good organisation, high fitness and a game plan as well as bloody good contacts to sign half a dozen loan signings a year.

If you think loan signings are over rated then where do you think we'd be today if we had kept Lavery all season?

This is not a long or medium term project. We're fecked and come 30th June when contracts end we're no better than the club that finishes 22nd.

Last edited by Dick Trickle on Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread!   The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread! - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 18, 2014 6:20 pm

We have a slippery owner, only really interested in what he can make out of the club/city. We have debts to service to him and others. We have bucket rattling, self promoting janners fighting to be someone at HP and we have a monosyllabic manager, with about as much charisma as a Pasoti mod.

Does anyone really expect things to get better with the current set up ?
Back to top Go down
Coxside_Green

PostSubject: Re: The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread!   The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread! - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 18, 2014 6:53 pm

Dick Trickle wrote:
Coxside_Green wrote:
Dick Trickle wrote:

Pashitty wrote:

Virtually every team in the bottom two divisions are so under the cosh financially that long term contracts are a thing of the past. Most clubs finish the season with only 8 or 9 players. Surely if we got promoted with the additional revenue that would generate we simply look for league one loanees and not league 2.

That's not to say a mid-table finish is fine, it isn't.  We've been in this dogshit league long enough now to have built a decent team not only capable of promotion but also capable of competing in League 1.  There's no excuse for us to be looking up to Rochdale, Fleetwood etc (and I don't mean that with any disrespect towards those clubs, it's just an indication of how shit we are).

That said I believe if we had sneaked up via play-offs we would've been relegation favourites.  If we're going to go up, we need to stay up and never end up in this shit league again.  Even the best 5 or 6 of our current squad would struggle in League 1 (McCormick aside), too many changes would've been needed IMO.

In the modern day football world I disagree with you. Most of the teams in the bottom 2 divisions if they signed no one would report for pre-season training on 1st July with 8 professionals. Every team is a carcass after the season finishes. As it stands we're not even prepared for league 2. We need to sign half a team just to compete in league 2.

Teams in the bottom 2 leagues do not evolve anymore, they are a rolling 12 month "project".

A lengthy contract is for a maximum of 2 years and most are 12 months or even half a season. Clubs exist from transfer window to transfer window.

Look at the players who are left next year and how many do you think we need to sign? Reid is not going to stay so how do you replace him? To succeed in this league you need good organisation, high fitness and a game plan as well as bloody good contacts to sign half a dozen loan signings a year.

If you think loan signings are over rated then where do you think we'd be today if we had kept Lavery all season?

This is not a long or medium term project. We're fecked and come 30th June when contracts end we're no better than the club that finishes 22nd.

We have more resources than most of the clubs in this division, there's no reason we cannot offer more security for worthy footballers compared to our competitors. Last season's POTY (his name escapes me right now) was fecked off via a meager wage offer. Full credit to our youngster Ben for stepping up and trying to fill his boots but we also now have the unknown unproven Parsons on our wage bill. This is exactly how it played out when we tried penny pinching with Capaldi, many replacements who simply didn't fill his boots. It also led to disruption amongst the ranks of our other 1st teamers, Connolly saw what happened and announced it was his last season here. Norris got mad at the Capaldi haters and couldn't wait to leave.

I don't disagree with loan signings but they should be additional to a nucleus of a decent well-nourished squad, they do work as we witnessed during Holloway's stint. We can also become over-reliant on them as we saw during Liuggy's second spell. There needs to be a balance. Had we have retained Lavery, we may well have gone up, we probably would never have kept Lavery but surely would've been favourites to keep Reid. Loanees can and do work, no problem with that.

Anyway, we're still a shit under-performing club. Until that changes we'll continue ambling from season to season.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread!   The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread! - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 18, 2014 6:54 pm

As much charisma as a Pasoti mod  lol 
Back to top Go down
Dick Trickle

PostSubject: Re: The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread!   The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread! - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 18, 2014 6:58 pm

CG, I disagree with you apart from your last sentence.

Times have changed and clubs in L2 are totally different from those in the Championship.

BTW if we couldn't keep last years POTY why would we keep this years? Are you saying that the budget is higher?
Back to top Go down
argyl3

argyl3

PostSubject: Re: The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread!   The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread! - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 18, 2014 7:03 pm

JeSus wept we were shit get him out for gods sake or I may have to start watching the egg chasers time and time again when the balls are on the line Sheridan is caught with his trousers down
Back to top Go down
Coxside_Green

PostSubject: Re: The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread!   The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread! - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 18, 2014 7:13 pm

I've no idea about the budget Dick but we should make the most of it however big or small compared to our competitors. All I see right now is an over-bloated squad in terms of numbers. Half of our budget is spent with players in the stand or on the subs bench.

You say times have changed but those changes aren't working for us. We need to change.
Back to top Go down
Han Solos Other Ship

Han Solos Other Ship

PostSubject: Re: The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread!   The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread! - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 18, 2014 7:18 pm

feck me just got in and saw score. That's a hammering I thought so I wonder who got sent off?

Christ.....
Back to top Go down
Coxside_Green

PostSubject: Re: The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread!   The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread! - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 18, 2014 7:27 pm

argyl3, I can't blame Sheridan for this current run of form. Maybe there's other 'behind the scene' things we don't know about. There were issues about paying wages not so long ago for instance. Had we been still in the chase we would've sold out for the last couple home games too, not particularly helpful for Brent and his mini-stand.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread!   The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread! - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 18, 2014 8:31 pm

PlymptonPilgrim wrote:
Right then, back in the UK now after our winter in the sunshine. Bleddy cold in Plympton.

So it seems that we have to win the last four games to stand any chance of the play offs.

Won't do it, not consistent enough. We'll win the away games starting today, and lose or draw at home.

Same old Argo.

Oh, and Brent out by the way.

How was the golf in sunnier climes Garry? Bet i can guess the answer to that acually,bit of a silly question in fact.Courses just about drying out over here now but it was a bit of a struggle at times in the winter,at least half a dozen trees blew down at Hurdwick.First match of the season at Whitsand Bay on Tuesday,hope it isn't blowing a gale and raining down there.

Shocking stuff from Argyle in the last few games culminating in todays thrashing which finally put paid to any play off hopes,which frankly were gone anyway after the capitulation to Exeter.Can't say that optimism is to the fore,looks like a very interesting summer could be in store.Only 6 players under contract and some hard questions to be answered about various issues,not least the financial implications of Brent's apparent problems with his business and the effect that will inevitably reverberate through the club.Some very worrying developments-the return of Wrathall and the inability of the club to sign any better players than ones who were not wanted by clubs who had spent most of the season in the nether regions of the division to bolster the play off "push" would seem to be indications of which way the wind is blowing.Definitely won't be getting a season ticket next season unless real effort is made to permanently sign some players who are equipped to cope with not just this division but the ones beyond,totally agree with Coxside Green in his comments about team building and i too have had a suspicion that all has not been well behind the scenes in the last few weeks.We live in interesting times.
Back to top Go down
simao

simao

PostSubject: Re: The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread!   The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread! - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 18, 2014 9:43 pm

The conclusion I've come to after watching squads for the past dozen years is that the bottom two leagues are just a merry go round for the same bunch of average players. Much simpler to get a team of giant mutants and bully your way out of league 2. Play hoof ball, low quality grunty stuff - might as well follow a non-league team just for value for money and a vague hope of a few cup games to play a bigger team.
Who wants to pay £20+ to watch head tennis? Brent out, Sheridan out, Pulis in. P.s. Hated watching his tactics
Back to top Go down
hairy j

hairy j

PostSubject: Re: The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread!   The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread! - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 19, 2014 7:36 am

Glad to have a club?

Not this time
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I didn't go, I listened to the game up until we conceded the third. Dick Trickle's post earlier in the thread should be printed on t-shirts and the players forced to wear them.

4 points from 6 games - bottlers
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread!   The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread! - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 19, 2014 8:01 am

IJN
Post subject: Re: Just backPostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:07 pm

Total shambles today.

Not a proud Pilgrim tonight, and am considering not going to Pompey.

Why should I bother? They don't.

:pighug: 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread!   The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread! - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 19, 2014 10:26 am

Ooohhhhh, someone's rattled his trough! I bet the reluctant quiver was measured on the richter scale.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread!   The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread! - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 19, 2014 2:03 pm

Incompetent. Inept. Amateur. Embarassing. Are some of the words that come to mind with that defending!
Back to top Go down
hairy j

hairy j

PostSubject: Re: The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread!   The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread! - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 19, 2014 2:37 pm

On Monday, people will clap them out and boo at the end. Boo them when they come out as they've disgraced us over the past four weeks.
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread!   The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread! - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 19, 2014 3:26 pm

Coxside_Green wrote:
Dick Trickle wrote:

Pashitty wrote:

Argyle blew the chance to make the Play-Offs and there are three games that stand out - Bristol Rovers away, Exeter City at home and Accrington Stanley away.  Had they got the points in those games they would still be in with a chance.

The Bristol Rovers manager said sometime ago - when Argyle were doing ok - that he thought Argyle were the best team in League Two at the time.

Now we sit here thinking of what could have been.

Last edited by VillageGreen on Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread!   The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread! - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 19, 2014 3:28 pm

Iggy wrote:
Ooohhhhh, someone's rattled his trough! I bet the reluctant quiver was measured on the richter scale.

He was so upset he could barely eat his KFC on the way home.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread!   The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread! - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 19, 2014 3:37 pm

I was too angry to post anything about the performance yesterday so I've left it until now before saying anything.

Sack the feckin lot of 'em and start again.

I didn't expect us to do anything other than lose but I did not expect gutless capitulation on that scale.

Anybody who is considering not going on Monday is letting 'em off the hook. Go along and scream dog's abuse at them for 90 minutes. I wouldn't normally recommend such action but we've been supportive all season, we've been behind them for years now, we've given them so much time it is unbelievable, we travel miles and miles to urge them on, we spend small fortunes along the way and they give us this.

Well sod 'em. They'll all be gone by the start of next season anyway so fill yer boots, lads!

"You're not fit to wear the shirt" is a good place to start.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com

PostSubject: Re: The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread!   The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread! - Page 3 EmptySat Apr 19, 2014 3:54 pm

Sadly, because I have a free ticket (in the grandstand  affraid ), I will be going on Monday. I just wish it had come up a few weeks ago when there was some tension of 'will we - won't we?' in the game! I will make it as part of my mission to investigate the facilities.

I wonder if Sheridan will ring the changes. Maybe he'll give a match to the loanee keeper, starting places to Purrington, Richards, Thomas, Vassell. Maybe there will be some farewell appearances from the likes of Reid & Wotton. With three games to go & nothing riding on them it ought to give an opportunity for experience for the younger lads.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread!   The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread! - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

The official Richard Blight Bury yer head in the sand here come the playoffs match thread!
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next