Dick Trickle
Greenskin
Rickler
SwimWithTheTide
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Football Stadiums - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Football Stadiums   Football Stadiums - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2014 6:12 pm

spowell92 wrote:
I'd never seen The Dell's Milton Road Stand before doing research for this article! I still can't find out why on earth it was built with that slope though? Brilliantly bizarre!

Before redevelopment.....

Football Stadiums - Page 2 The-Dell-1966

Football Stadiums - Page 2 EPW020438

I suspect it was constrained by the road outside the ground.
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: Football Stadiums   Football Stadiums - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2014 6:21 pm

All this nostalgia...

Home Park is going to have a dentists office in one corner - how much more 'originality' do you want?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Football Stadiums   Football Stadiums - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2014 6:35 pm

Rickler wrote:
All this nostalgia...

Home Park is going to have a dentists office in one corner - how much more 'originality' do you want?

A lighthouse?  sunny 
Back to top Go down
SwimWithTheTide

SwimWithTheTide

PostSubject: Re: Football Stadiums   Football Stadiums - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2014 6:36 pm

Wow! Knecht, those pictures are fantastic!
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Football Stadiums   Football Stadiums - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2014 7:25 pm

Have they got a dental surgery a school and a ministand with most of the income space not benefiting the club?................................. Thought not.

But It'll be enough to have bragging rights over Sid James, so that's ok  jocolor 

Move on ffs ! This club is going to be so fooked and village, it just has to be an embarrassment to any but the jannerazzi on GOS  Rolling Eyes 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Football Stadiums   Football Stadiums - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2014 7:43 pm

spowell92 wrote:

Don't they teach you anything at Uni nowadyas?  Evil or Very Mad 

I just googled something like "History Dell Southampton".

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/sites/all/lib/aerofilms-images/public/england/EPW020438.jpg

http://www.agentsmart.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/The-Dell-1966.jpg
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Football Stadiums   Football Stadiums - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2014 7:48 pm

knecht wrote:
spowell92 wrote:

Don't they teach you anything at Uni nowadyas?  Evil or Very Mad 

I just googled something like "History Dell Southampton".

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/sites/all/lib/aerofilms-images/public/england/EPW020438.jpg

http://www.agentsmart.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/The-Dell-1966.jpg

To busy enjoying himself Knecht! Very Happy 

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  affraid

Now an officially semi retired old fart! bounce
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Football Stadiums   Football Stadiums - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2014 8:25 pm

Good for him, if that's true. That's what being a student should be about.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Football Stadiums   Football Stadiums - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2014 8:50 pm

Rickler wrote:
All this nostalgia...

Seriously though... A dentist in one corner and a school in another...

How can anybody even begin to think this is a good idea?

If it was funny it'd be a comedy but it isn't so I guess that makes it a tragedy.

Which sounds about right.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
SwimWithTheTide

SwimWithTheTide

PostSubject: Re: Football Stadiums   Football Stadiums - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2014 8:50 pm

Going over all this, I'm most certainly thankful that the second phase of the Home Park bowl never took place! It has really made me appreciate the Grandstand for all her decrepit beauty. She could do with a face lift, for certain, but she really gives Home Park some character. If only common sense would prevail and we be able to reintroduce standing to the Mayflower steps. Fix the corners of the ground, and a bit of renovation of the Grandstand structure and facilities and I'd say we'd have one of the best grounds in the country.
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Football Stadiums   Football Stadiums - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2014 9:33 pm

I have stood on the Mayflower Steps many times.
Back to top Go down
hairy j

hairy j

PostSubject: Re: Football Stadiums   Football Stadiums - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2014 9:42 pm

Look at Dundee Utd's ground on Google Maps. Dundee's ground is 250 yards down the road. It looks really stupid from the air. Liverpool and Everton's grounds are fairly close but Dundee's two grounds are virtually wall to wall.

Also...

Football Stadiums - Page 2 Old_trafford_early

The Valley has quite a good resurgem story behind it and it's an interesting story of belonging.

I'd hate to see us move to an out of town stadium.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Football Stadiums   Football Stadiums - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2014 9:55 pm

I just Googled that, they have to be the closest grounds in England's suburbs?

They still have plenty of room for a dentist, maybe even a veterinary practise as well.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Football Stadiums   Football Stadiums - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 15, 2014 9:57 pm

hairy j wrote:
Look at Dundee Utd's ground on Google Maps. Dundee's ground is 250 yards down the road. It looks really stupid from the air. Liverpool and Everton's grounds are fairly close but Dundee's two grounds are virtually wall to wall.

Also...

Football Stadiums - Page 2 Old_trafford_early

The Valley has quite a good resurgem story behind it and it's an interesting story of belonging.

I'd hate to see us move to an out of town stadium.

You forgot about Dundee Violet FC down the road the other way!

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  affraid

Now an officially semi retired old fart! bounce
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: Football Stadiums   Football Stadiums - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 16, 2014 1:47 am

spowell92 wrote:
Going over all this, I'm most certainly thankful that the second phase of the Home Park bowl never took place! It has really made me appreciate the Grandstand for all her decrepit beauty. She could do with a face lift, for certain, but she really gives Home Park some character. If only common sense would prevail and we be able to reintroduce standing to the Mayflower steps. Fix the corners of the ground, and a bit of renovation of the Grandstand structure and facilities and I'd say we'd have one of the best grounds in the country.

You need certifying...

Back to top Go down
gasser9

PostSubject: Re: Football Stadiums   Football Stadiums - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 16, 2014 1:55 am

Rickler wrote:
gasser9 wrote:
knecht wrote:
I never went to Northampton's old ground - where they actually played in the old First Division - but from the pictures I've seen that was certainly a ground with character! The new Sixfields is an awful place!

You never missed anything Knecht. If there was such a thing as an old soul less ground this was it. They had one end which was the hotel end behind the goal which you could probably compare with the old Devonport End but apart from that nothing.
One end was completely open and one side was completely open as this where Northants CC played their cricket and the grandstand was nothing to write home about either.
As bland as is it Sixfields is still a vast improvement on the old County Ground.

Never missed anything?

I can't imagine a ground like that anywhere else in the world?

Think Tothill Park and you won't be far away.
Back to top Go down
lawnmowerman

lawnmowerman

PostSubject: Re: Football Stadiums   Football Stadiums - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 16, 2014 6:38 am

Have a look at the picture below as mouldy says three football grounds very very close.

Football Stadiums - Page 2 Dundee10

Back to top Go down
hairy j

hairy j

PostSubject: Re: Football Stadiums   Football Stadiums - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 16, 2014 6:42 am

I thought that other one was a shared training ground when I looked.
Back to top Go down
lawnmowerman

lawnmowerman

PostSubject: Re: Football Stadiums   Football Stadiums - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 16, 2014 9:06 am

I think it is but its also used by a local lower league team

Back to top Go down
SwimWithTheTide

SwimWithTheTide

PostSubject: Re: Football Stadiums   Football Stadiums - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 16, 2014 9:38 am

Rickler wrote:
spowell92 wrote:

You need certifying...

scratch 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Football Stadiums   Football Stadiums - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 16, 2014 10:44 am

Good thread Spolly.

One ground move which left me really scratching my head, was when Coventry City left Highfield Road. A ground with so much character through all of its redevelopments over the years.

This is Highfield Road back in 1987, before the redevelopment into all seater stadium.
Football Stadiums - Page 2 Article-2075222-0F31365400000578-659_468x314

Now some will say Highfield Road was one of the first modern all seater stadiums anyway, part of the 1980s/1990s Thatcher era of all seaters. But to me the ground had plenty of character. 4 different stands, different sizes, different gradients. A ground buried in a housing estate, embedded in the community that the club represented - and a short walk from the city centre.

Football Stadiums - Page 2 HighfieldRd_MG5536

Football Stadiums - Page 2 P1010013

Argyle went there in what must have been 2004/2005 time. We scored courtesy of Henry of the Westcountry lobbing their keeper from about 40 yards.

When Coventry City decided to leave that place it was baffling. To invest all that money in a plush new stadium that added all of 9,000 to the capacity, to go and play your home matches in a large car park, on an industrial estate plonked by the motorway. When I went to Reading I hated it - got there by train, needed a 5 mile bus from the train station to the Madejski, a soulless industrial estate plonked by a motorway in the middle of nowhere. It was an awful matchday experience - and by and large, I avoid those soulless domes now.

Football Stadiums - Page 2 The-ricoh-arena4428l

That decision by Coventry City looks to have practically crippled the club. I am still not sure what they are looking to do long term with regards to finding a home ground.  

And now they play here, 40 miles away, and in administration.

Football Stadiums - Page 2 Sixfields_Stadium%23CFC_Special
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Football Stadiums   Football Stadiums - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 16, 2014 1:56 pm

http://www.evostikleague.co.uk/quakers-could-be-home-by-august-19161/

There's a stadium story to rank against any.

Inglis's book is a must as a reference point as is this Twitter account https://twitter.com/Groundtastic
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com

PostSubject: Re: Football Stadiums   Football Stadiums - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 16, 2014 3:48 pm

If Brent builds anything I'll be amazed, he's the least productive property developer in the history of property developing, feck me Porky was right all along.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Football Stadiums   Football Stadiums - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 16, 2014 3:58 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:

Inglis's book is a must as a reference point as is this Twitter account https://twitter.com/Groundtastic

Fascinating - well worth a browse.

I was especially caught by this picture..... and no it's not an early shot of Nottingham Forest's ground. Football Stadiums - Page 2 Bj41LaUIEAAEDdO
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Football Stadiums   Football Stadiums - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 16, 2014 4:38 pm

knecht wrote:
Sir Francis Drake wrote:

Fascinating - well worth a browse.

I was especially caught by this picture..... and no it's not an early shot of Nottingham Forest's ground. Football Stadiums - Page 2 Bj41LaUIEAAEDdO

Third Lanark.Remember them vaguely from when i was a bhey-they were at one time a very decent Scottish top level side,probably the equivalent of Aberdeen or Hibs now,who were screwed up by some property developer who deliberately ran the club into the earth. affraid Bit more about the ground here;

https://llandudnojetset.wordpress.com/tag/the-old-world-just-gets-in-the-way/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Football Stadiums   Football Stadiums - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Football Stadiums
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next