Rickler
seadog
Greenskin
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Greenskin

Greenskin

Anyone travelling by train? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone travelling by train?   Anyone travelling by train? EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 6:14 pm

Unlucky.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Jesus wept,wonder how long that will take to repair,especially in view of the further storms predicted later on in the week.High time the-powers-that be stopped feckin around with the west country transport links and opened up the line through Okehampton and Tavistock again,this has happened time after time and still nothing has been done.Pathetic.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone travelling by train?   Anyone travelling by train? EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 6:38 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if it was never repaired.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone travelling by train?   Anyone travelling by train? EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 7:04 pm

Cameron thinks its scenic, he's thinking of the tourists not us though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone travelling by train?   Anyone travelling by train? EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 7:06 pm

Anyway the solution with Dawlish is to build a breakwater with huge stones about a hundred yards in front of it, it would create work and be a natural reef for all sorts of fish and wildlife. And you could probably surf it when the waves were big. Win win.
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Anyone travelling by train?   Anyone travelling by train? EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 8:02 pm

A solution and a repair? No just the repair.
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: Anyone travelling by train?   Anyone travelling by train? EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 8:16 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Unlucky.

Jesus wept,wonder how long that will take to repair,especially in view of the further storms predicted later on in the week.

Apparently until Feb 28th going by the official tweets on that link?
Back to top Go down
Flat_Track_Bully

Flat_Track_Bully

PostSubject: Re: Anyone travelling by train?   Anyone travelling by train? EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 8:54 pm

Iggy wrote:
Cameron thinks its scenic, he's thinking of the tourists not us though.

Don't be so cynical. Cameron's main concern is for the safety of the people of [wealthy Home Counties types who have second homes in] Devon and Cornwall.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sciencebrainwaves.com/

PostSubject: Re: Anyone travelling by train?   Anyone travelling by train? EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 8:57 pm

Stop HS2 & redirect the money to fixing the rail link to Plymouth & beyond.
Back to top Go down
Richard Blight

Richard Blight

PostSubject: Re: Anyone travelling by train?   Anyone travelling by train? EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 9:28 pm

knecht wrote:
Stop HS2 & redirect the money to fixing the rail link to Plymouth & beyond.

Now there's a subject to get the people of the South West chomping at the bit. There have been warnings for 20 years that sooner or later the sea would have it's way with the rail line at Dawlish. Every time there's a major accident on the M5 the SW is almost cut off. There are massive traffic holdups on the A303 every year. The railway at Cowley bridge in Exeter needs major works because of flooding. The Somerset Levels have suffered two, once in a hundred year floods in two years. The South West's road network is falling to pieces with even major routes like the M5 suffering from potholes and breaking up that would never have been seen a few years ago.

Massive investment is required in our existing infrastructure just for the South West to stand still but our government wants to spend billions of pounds just so businessmen can get from Birmingham to London 20 minutes faster.

Personally I would like to be able to drive from Ashburton to Bristol without risking damaging my car on M5's potholes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone travelling by train?   Anyone travelling by train? EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 9:33 pm

I think/hope that HS2 will bite them on the bum and they will be forced into a humiliating back-track though it may be left to Labour to do the deed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone travelling by train?   Anyone travelling by train? EmptyWed Feb 05, 2014 11:51 pm

And you can gaurantee the £30 billion quoted will turn into £100 billion by the end of it.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Anyone travelling by train?   Anyone travelling by train? EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 1:08 pm

Do we have any suggestions for a solution to the railway link problem?

Can we re-route? If so via where?

How about building a stonking great breakwater so that the worst of the attack on the line at Dawlish is ameliorated?

Maybe a massive tunnel under Haldon Hill?

I don't know what the solution is but there must be one. So what might it be?
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
LondonGreen

LondonGreen

PostSubject: Re: Anyone travelling by train?   Anyone travelling by train? EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 2:05 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:

How about building a stonking great breakwater so that the worst of the attack on the line at Dawlish is ameliorated?

Open an airport in Plymouth. Oh wait... sarcasm 
Back to top Go down
pepsipete

pepsipete

PostSubject: Re: Anyone travelling by train?   Anyone travelling by train? EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 2:30 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:

Re-open the Okehampton - Tavistock route so that trains can be diverted when necessary. Rebuild the Dawlish section with an improved and larger sea wall. This will cost money and a doubt the Tories have the stomach for it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone travelling by train?   Anyone travelling by train? EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 4:22 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:

I think you'll find that the breakwater was my idea. Either you don't read my posts or you have me on ignore.  Razz 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone travelling by train?   Anyone travelling by train? EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 4:30 pm

When is this bleddy rain going to stop? We're all doooooomed!!!
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Anyone travelling by train?   Anyone travelling by train? EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 4:48 pm

pepsipete wrote:
Sir Francis Drake wrote:

Re-open the Okehampton - Tavistock route so that trains can be diverted when necessary. Rebuild the Dawlish section with an improved and larger sea wall.  This will cost money and a doubt the Tories have the stomach for it.

I agree with you about the solution to the problem but [speaking as pretty much an apolitical person],Labour haven't exactly come up smelling of roses in regards to the destruction of the railway system or it's prospective rebuilding.Labour were in power in 1968 when the Southern line to Plymouth was sawn off between Okehampton and Bere Alston and in spite of their promise in the 1964 election manifesto,they did piss all to halt the closure of the line or many others such as the Great Central,Somerset and Dorset or Waverley routes,which would have been worth their weight in gold today.In the latter case,the Scottish parliament have shown how it should be done-half the line is currently being rebuilt from Galashiels to Edinburgh-it would seem that devolved power works in this regard because more than one line in Wales has been successfully reopened.I can't honestly remember Labour in their years of power from 1997 onwards paying any more than lip service to improving the transport links to the westcountry- governments of all hues have been warned for many years what would happen at Dawlish eventually.Must admit that previously my views on global warming were slightly cynical but those pictures at Dawlish and other places were an eye opener and if the theory of climate change is correct,then it isn't going to get any better at Dawlish-esential in my view for the Okehampton-BA section to be reopened ASAP.
Back to top Go down
greensleeves

PostSubject: Re: Anyone travelling by train?   Anyone travelling by train? EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 5:38 pm

Network Rail are being very optimistic with their time scales,in my opinion,if they are looking to get the line open in a few weeks.those houses look like they are going to tumble at any time and need to be demolished.Long term I dont expect any radical re routing of railway routes,it will be make and mend as per usual.governments,whatever party have never invested in the south west rail network,they aint going to start now...
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Anyone travelling by train?   Anyone travelling by train? EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 5:52 pm

,,,,,,........,,,,,,,,, Rolling Eyes 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Anyone travelling by train?   Anyone travelling by train? EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 6:05 pm

Whilst Im not going to say global warming isn't happening I think that it is being used to cover up major lack of maintenance over the years. Also in these storms damage does occour it always has done. It needs to be repaired and the cost of repairing it should on the whole be paid for by all the owners of the network nationally. If it were the M1 that had a section washed out by a river it would be fixed with all haste and the costs worried about afterwards.
Back to top Go down
Jethro

Jethro

PostSubject: Re: Anyone travelling by train?   Anyone travelling by train? EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 6:33 pm

army being called in to help.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Anyone travelling by train?   Anyone travelling by train? EmptyThu Feb 06, 2014 6:56 pm

Excellent. Just what this structural debacle needs, more squaddies.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Anyone travelling by train?   Anyone travelling by train? EmptyTue Jul 15, 2014 10:12 pm

Yer's the report;

Doesn't rule out the reopening of the LSWR route through Okehampton and Tavistock as was stated by the dozy local papers recently,in fact it compares favourably with all the other options discussed IMHO,cheaper than any proposed new inland route and more feasible than the Teign Valley line.If the relevant authorities can put a case forward which extols the massive benefits to Okey,Tavvy and West Devon and East/North East Cornwall,then who knows,something may be done.66% contingency built into the costings-fook me! lol! 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone travelling by train?   Anyone travelling by train? Empty

Back to top Go down

Anyone travelling by train?
Page 1 of 1