HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

How to buy a train ticket without taking out a mortgage,

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

How to buy a train ticket without taking out a mortgage, Empty
PostSubject: How to buy a train ticket without taking out a mortgage,   How to buy a train ticket without taking out a mortgage, EmptyThu Jan 23, 2020 4:27 pm

Or taking a degree level course in how to do it. So I am going to Heathrow on a Sunday in the near future (3 or 4 weeks time) need to be there about tea time, three of us travelling, anybody know any good apps or tips on not getting shafted? Obviously leaving from Plymouth or more likely Exeter as I know that saves loads usually.
Bob would have been ideal to answer this if he wasn't being detained at our Modestys Pleasure.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to buy a train ticket without taking out a mortgage,   How to buy a train ticket without taking out a mortgage, EmptyFri Jan 24, 2020 9:09 am

First off get your ticket ASAP as they release tickets in different priced batches o. Even buying on your way to the station is cheaper than getting a walk up.

Splitting the ticket so you are effectively buying across several networks sometimes works but may not in this instance as you will be mainly using the GWR route

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Avoid using the trainline as they add a booking fee
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: How to buy a train ticket without taking out a mortgage,   How to buy a train ticket without taking out a mortgage, EmptyFri Jan 24, 2020 9:21 am

I'm doing this aswell in a couple months.

Leave after 9.30 as that then classes as off-peak.

Best option is Great Western into Paddington then get the Heathrow Express train - leaves Padd about 3 times an hour and gets you to Heathrow in 15 mins.

Other option which isn't as quick is take same train to Reading instead of Padd then get the Heathrow Airport bus.

I doubt you'll get much change out of £100 per person mind, although as Hugh says try the split ticket route. In normal circumstances I'd drive as Heathrow is straight forward, but I don't fancy getting in a car after an 18hr trip (two flights and a stopover) from the far east.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: How to buy a train ticket without taking out a mortgage,   How to buy a train ticket without taking out a mortgage, EmptyFri Jan 24, 2020 10:39 am

Thanks to both. Did it a couple of years ago and cost about sixty quid which sounds like a good deal. I did consider driving Czarks but it will cost £150 to park for a month!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How to buy a train ticket without taking out a mortgage,   How to buy a train ticket without taking out a mortgage, EmptyFri Jan 24, 2020 11:24 am

Earwegoagain wrote:
Thanks to both. Did it a couple of years ago and cost about sixty quid which sounds like a good deal. I did consider driving Czarks but it will cost £150 to park for a month!  

I personally would still consider driving as Heathrow is generally easier to get to that way and as much as you don't fancy driving 200 miles after an 18 hour flight, faffing about on trains in and out of London is equally unappealing. You van get better deals on off site parking where you drop your car off in short stay, its then a very short hop to the terminal.

There's also Purple Parking which is a bit of a faff if your flying from T5 and they don't evern serve T4 anymore where you drop your car off in a compound on the A4 and they bus you in. Not ideal but its dirt cheap and reliable.

Hotels are fairly well priced along the bath road if needed
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: How to buy a train ticket without taking out a mortgage,   How to buy a train ticket without taking out a mortgage, EmptySat Jan 25, 2020 11:10 am

It's actually cheaper to get an airport transfer for three of us in a People carrier than taking the train. We live in a fooked up country.
Will check out parking options. Thanks/OK
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: How to buy a train ticket without taking out a mortgage,   How to buy a train ticket without taking out a mortgage, EmptySat Jan 25, 2020 11:12 am

I'm going for a month so parking does add up btw.
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: How to buy a train ticket without taking out a mortgage,   How to buy a train ticket without taking out a mortgage, EmptySat Jan 25, 2020 9:12 pm

Get someone to buy your ticket from a Northern IP, my company buys train tickets for crew.

The Hull office gets the Southampton to Hull train fare for less than the Southampton office.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to buy a train ticket without taking out a mortgage,   How to buy a train ticket without taking out a mortgage, Empty

Back to top Go down

How to buy a train ticket without taking out a mortgage,
Page 1 of 1