Mapperley, darling
Tgwu
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Greenskin

Greenskin

Who going to Wimbledon  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who going to Wimbledon    Who going to Wimbledon  - Page 2 EmptySun Dec 29, 2013 2:08 pm

Winter Green wrote:
Very true Elias, more EDL than AFC, the old Wimbledon. The new Wimbledon is quite different. Football has always had it's "hard nut" teams at all levels, even local park teams. It takes all sorts and I have always looked forward to such games be it pro or local. Heavitree from Exeter could be a bit tasty, Horrabridge in an old fashioned country clogging way, and no one from the S W League wanted to visit Foxhole in the Cornwall Senior Cup. My brother once tried to start up a NEW mens local team. No swearing or breaking of the rules or legs. Very Happy 

So what other hard nut teams were there ? The great Revie Leeds team of the 1970s spring to mind. They weren't that popular either.

Portsmouth in the 1980's were a very tough team under Alan Ball,in spite of his oft stated love of the "beautiful game".Remember Uzzell being carried off needing a lot of stitches after an awful tackle from one of their players at HP and Leigh Cooper's career was effectively ended at Fratton Park by the worst two footed tackle in history by Barry Horne-i've got it on tape somewhere and it still makes you feel sick to watch it even now,didn't even get booked for it.I think there were more psychos around in those days,Mark Dennis was one such,as was an Australian full back called Muscat,who made Vinnie Jones look like Trevor Brooking.
Back to top Go down

Who going to Wimbledon
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2