Czarcasm
Argyle Fans' Trust
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Argyle Fans' Trust

Argyle Fans' Trust

John Sheridan - The Facts Empty
PostSubject: John Sheridan - The Facts   John Sheridan - The Facts EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 7:10 pm

After being approached by a number of people (not just Damon) regarding the issue of John Sheridan's contract, Andy Symons asked the question in an email to Martyn; there's nothing unusual in this, Andy often corresponds with Martyn, raising issues of concern that have been raised with him by Trust members and other supporters. Here's the relevant paragraph from Andy's email:

Quote :
There's a rumour doing the rounds that John is only on a part-time contract and is only working on a Thursday to Saturday basis.
These sorts of rumours often take on a life of their own and become established as 'fact' if they aren't nipped in the bud.

Can you confirm that John's terms and conditions of employment are not any different to any other manager in League 2, or indeed any previous Argyle manager? It would be good to be able to stop this particular piece of gossip from developing too far too quickly - as I'm sure you know, it's the sort of thing that's often used as a stick to beat a manager with , particularly when results aren't up to expectations.
And this is Martyn's response:

Quote :
It's amazing how these stories arise. John is not on a part time contract. He is here on completely conventional terms for a League 2 manager.
So hopefully that will put this particular nonsense safely to bed.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: John Sheridan - The Facts   John Sheridan - The Facts EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 7:24 pm

Being a pedant then, him being here on conventional terms would point to him being 'full time'.

Does he live in Plymouth 'full time'? Or does he live elsewhere for part of the week?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: John Sheridan - The Facts   John Sheridan - The Facts EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 7:29 pm

He must go home once a week, maybe after the game on a Saturday and be back a couple of days later unless there is a Tuesday game.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with that at all, other than I would've preferred it if he moved his family down with him which would signify that he was totally committed to the cause, especially as he made such a big deal about players having to move to the area.
Back to top Go down
Dane

Dane

PostSubject: Re: John Sheridan - The Facts   John Sheridan - The Facts EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 7:33 pm

I bet he doesn't even go home after home games, Just away ones,

Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: John Sheridan - The Facts   John Sheridan - The Facts EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 7:35 pm

'conventional' terms ? doesn't fool me.

sheri family still in leeds, therefore I reckon he'll stay there after the Saturday game then return to plym for thurs (unless theres a midweek game).

whats his salary (roughly) martyn ?????

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: John Sheridan - The Facts   John Sheridan - The Facts EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 7:37 pm

who started this silly rumour anyway? and how gullible are some to believe it?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: John Sheridan - The Facts   John Sheridan - The Facts EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 7:42 pm

To be honest if we were doing well i would not be bothered about the hours he puts in, but when your team is poor i would expect the manager to be working seven days a week to put it right, or i would be looking for a new one.
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: John Sheridan - The Facts   John Sheridan - The Facts EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 7:52 pm

Argyle Fans' Trust wrote:
After being approached by a number of people (not just Damon) regarding the issue of John Sheridan's contract, Andy Symons asked the question in an email to Martyn; there's nothing unusual in this, Andy often corresponds with Martyn, raising issues of concern that have been raised with him by Trust members and other supporters. Here's the relevant paragraph from Andy's email:

Quote :
There's a rumour doing the rounds that John is only on a part-time contract and is only working on a Thursday to Saturday basis.
These sorts of rumours often take on a life of their own and become established as 'fact' if they aren't nipped in the bud.

Can you confirm that John's terms and conditions of employment are not any different to any other manager in League 2, or indeed any previous Argyle manager? It would be good to be able to stop this particular piece of gossip from developing too far too quickly - as I'm sure you know, it's the sort of thing that's often used as a stick to beat a manager with , particularly when results aren't up to expectations.
And this is Martyn's response:

Quote :
It's amazing how these stories arise. John is not on a part time contract. He is here on completely conventional terms for a League 2 manager.
So hopefully that will put this particular nonsense safely to bed.

Can I ask who wrote this, or is Andy talking about himself in the third person?
Back to top Go down
Dane

Dane

PostSubject: Re: John Sheridan - The Facts   John Sheridan - The Facts EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 7:56 pm

Cant believe this question even got asked, pathetic
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: John Sheridan - The Facts   John Sheridan - The Facts EmptyMon Oct 14, 2013 9:15 pm

The argument was about whether questions should be asked of Brent really, the question was asked, answered, rumour put to bed it wasn't too hard was it?
Back to top Go down
gasser9

PostSubject: Re: John Sheridan - The Facts   John Sheridan - The Facts EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 2:16 am

Jeesus why don't they just write things so that there is no ambiguity.

Martin wrote: It's amazing how these stories arise. John is not on a part time contract. He is here on completely conventional terms for a League 2 manager.

Why didn't he just write:
it's amazing how these stories arise. John is on a full time contract.

WTF is conventional terms for a league 2 manager? Is there a standard format for league 2 managers drawn up by the FA?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: John Sheridan - The Facts   John Sheridan - The Facts EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 5:16 am

You're right Gasser. My contract has no set hours. I do the hours that the job demands, that is conventional for my position but I could do as little as 20 and as many as 80.

I always used to see Pulis at Bournemouth Railway Station on a Monday morning. He used to travel back home after a game, stay Sunday with the family and then commute back to Stoke where he remained throughout the week.

The issue as others have said is that given the run of form we're in and the prediction made by Sheridan that we'd be going for the play offs I would have expected his presence at the club full time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: John Sheridan - The Facts   John Sheridan - The Facts EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 7:39 am

The question was "Can you confirm that John's terms and conditions of employment are not any different to any other manager in League 2, or indeed any previous Argyle manager?" and that's why it was answered with the phrase "conventional League 2 manager", the question itself was fairly strange.

I'm glad this rumour is just a rumour. Many managers live away from their clubs and it's not unusual although, I am surprised that League 1 and 2 managers do as they must spend a decent chunk of their wages on travel.
Back to top Go down
gasser9

PostSubject: Re: John Sheridan - The Facts   John Sheridan - The Facts EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 8:45 am

hairy j wrote:
The question was "Can you confirm that John's terms and conditions of employment are not any different to any other manager in League 2, or indeed any previous Argyle manager?" and that's why it was answered with the phrase "conventional League 2 manager", the question itself was fairly strange.

I'm glad this rumour is just a rumour. Many managers live away from their clubs and it's not unusual although, I am surprised that League 1 and 2 managers do as they must spend a decent chunk of their wages on travel.
I agree If that was the reason why it was answered that way then the original question was framed wrong.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: John Sheridan - The Facts   John Sheridan - The Facts EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 8:48 am

I don't know if that's the answer but I tend to use the same phrases etc. that someone has used in a written question to provide a written answer. There's probably a technical term for it but I don't know what it is. I'm not a genius.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: John Sheridan - The Facts   John Sheridan - The Facts EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 9:13 am

Iggy wrote:
The argument was about whether questions should be asked of Brent really, the question was asked, answered, rumour put to bed it wasn't too hard was it?
Exactly, keep asking the questions Damon!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: John Sheridan - The Facts   John Sheridan - The Facts EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 10:34 am

Do you need someone to email someone on behalf of someone else? Can't we (we're customers essentially) just email someone direct and ask them if you can copy and paste the answer onto a forum? Why do we need a PASB, AFT to do this? With social media, it isn't essential. The AFT have a place but being used to answer rumours on messageboards? Don't know about that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: John Sheridan - The Facts   John Sheridan - The Facts EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 12:36 pm

I have just come back from a run, my route takes me past Bournemouth's training ground. A full training session was taking place involving some playing small games of one touch football, some doing a bleep test and one group being spoken to. Every session was being filmed and at the centre of everything, as he always is, was Eddie Howe.

I run on different days and Eddie Howe is always there.

Surely that must help the players more than a manager who for whatever reason decides he doesn't have to be at training.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: John Sheridan - The Facts   John Sheridan - The Facts EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 1:59 pm

Next question, "does John Sheridan attend all the training sessions and if not how many does he miss?"
Laughing 
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: John Sheridan - The Facts   John Sheridan - The Facts EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 3:03 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Only1Argyle included this on their twitter feed before the Wycombe game. Definitely some sort of training going on. As mentioned earlier don't know why the Comms team at Argyle just don't upload more of this type of content.

They use twitter (in a crap manner), Vine and Youtube as well as the pay to view Argyle player already so should be east easy easy to post some strategic coverage around training.
Back to top Go down
Moist_Von_Lipwig

Moist_Von_Lipwig

PostSubject: Re: John Sheridan - The Facts   John Sheridan - The Facts EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 4:34 pm

So, the question hasn't actually been answered.

What does "completely conventional terms" actually mean?
No mention of the "Thursday to Saturday" bit.

All that answer does is give more ammo to the conspiracists!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: John Sheridan - The Facts   John Sheridan - The Facts EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 4:44 pm

Moist_Von_Lipwig wrote:

I agree really. The question left room for a vague answer which it got.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: John Sheridan - The Facts   John Sheridan - The Facts EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 4:52 pm

Greenjock wrote:
Moist_Von_Lipwig wrote:

I agree really. The question left room for a vague answer which it got.

The only answers we ever get from the club are vague ones..................or no answer at all (ask the PASB).
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: John Sheridan - The Facts   John Sheridan - The Facts EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 5:07 pm

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: John Sheridan - The Facts   John Sheridan - The Facts EmptyTue Oct 15, 2013 9:56 pm

It was a badly phrased question rather than a vague answer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: John Sheridan - The Facts   John Sheridan - The Facts Empty

Back to top Go down

John Sheridan - The Facts
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next