The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Southend on Fridays Night

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Tgwu

Southend on Fridays Night Empty
PostSubject: Southend on Fridays Night   Southend on Fridays Night EmptyThu Sep 12, 2013 3:59 pm

Southend United ask clubs to switch Roots Hall games to Fridays

Southend United boss Phil Brown has revealed they asked all the other League Two clubs to switch matches at Roots Hall to Friday evenings.

This week's opponents Scunthorpe have obliged, as have five other clubs.

Brown hopes to enhance the atmosphere and maybe even attract supporters from Premier League side West Ham.

"You can't help but have an atmosphere when the lights are on. I used to love playing on a Friday night," the 54-year-old told the BBC Essex.

"We put it to every club we're playing on Saturday that we want to play on a Friday. Only six have said they'll do it .

"We might get one or two West Ham fans down and bolster the crowd."

This season's home fixtures against Bristol Rovers, Fleetwood, Mansfield, Rochdale and Newport have also been switched to Fridays.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Southend on Fridays Night   Southend on Fridays Night EmptyThu Sep 12, 2013 5:08 pm

I remember when Argyle played a lot of home matches on a Friday, it made sense with having one of the biggest local amateur leagues in the country. Now Devon has one of the largest youth leagues in the country so I often wonder why we have never reverted back to a Friday evening.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Southend on Fridays Night   Southend on Fridays Night EmptyThu Sep 12, 2013 6:30 pm

GOB wrote:

I remember when Argyle played a lot of home matches on a Friday, it made sense with having one of the biggest local amateur leagues in the country. Now Devon has one of the largest youth leagues in the country so I often wonder why we have never reverted back to a Friday evening.

Used to love night games, standing on the terraces................... but who is going to pay the increased electricity bill, now that monkey heed has gone ? Just add it to the club's debt, I suppose.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Southend on Fridays Night   Southend on Fridays Night EmptyThu Sep 12, 2013 6:31 pm

Didn't Southend used to play regularly on Friday nights? I know Tranmere did which was probably down to their proximity to the big clubs, and I think Torquay did for a while as well which was probably down to us having mahoosive gates on Saturday.

I like evening games but it might impact on the number of away fans.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Southend on Fridays Night   Southend on Fridays Night EmptyThu Sep 12, 2013 6:35 pm

Greenjock wrote:
Didn't Southend used to play regularly on Friday nights? I know Tranmere did which was probably down to their proximity to the big clubs, and I think Torquay did for a while as well which was probably down to us having mahoosive gates on Saturday.

Not much of a loss in this division Jock.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Southend on Fridays Night   Southend on Fridays Night EmptyThu Sep 12, 2013 6:45 pm

Tringreen wrote:
Greenjock wrote:

Not much of a loss in this division Jock.
True. I suppose the 200 who turn up on a Saturday are probably going to turn up whatever day it is.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Southend on Fridays Night   Southend on Fridays Night Empty

Back to top Go down

Southend on Fridays Night
Page 1 of 1