Mapperley, darling
seadog
6 posters
AuthorMessage
seadog
Admin

UXB! in Millbay! Empty
PostSubject: UXB! in Millbay!   UXB! in Millbay! EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 2:06 pm

Just been found in the building works, we're all doomed.
Back to top Go down

UXB! in Millbay! Empty
PostSubject: Re: UXB! in Millbay!   UXB! in Millbay! EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 6:06 pm

Sort it out Seadog, I need to use the ferry port next month! I bet theres loads of UXB's all over Plymouth, one was found on a site I was working on in Prince Rock years ago.
Back to top Go down
Mapperley, darling

Mapperley, darling

UXB! in Millbay! Empty
PostSubject: Re: UXB! in Millbay!   UXB! in Millbay! EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 6:42 pm

whats the chances of one being uncovered by the hhp dev? another straw...
Back to top Go down
http://www.nicegarden.co.uk
seadog
Admin

UXB! in Millbay! Empty
PostSubject: Re: UXB! in Millbay!   UXB! in Millbay! EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 8:45 pm

False alarm apparently, I was hoping for a port closure and stay put for a few days, but no the twats have given us the all clear.

Alongside the Armorique now and sailing at 2115.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

UXB! in Millbay! Empty
PostSubject: Re: UXB! in Millbay!   UXB! in Millbay! EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 9:14 pm

seadog wrote:
False alarm apparently, I was hoping for a port closure and stay put for a few days, but no the twats have given us the all clear.

Blown up out of all proportion then.

I'm 'ere all week.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

UXB! in Millbay! Empty
PostSubject: Re: UXB! in Millbay!   UXB! in Millbay! EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 9:30 pm

If you're living in a post war development anywhere in and around central Plymouth chances are there's a un-detonated gerry bomb somewhere close by. Also it's not just German munitions. Ships in Devonport used to provide anti-aircraft fire during air raids and some HE shells came back down without exploding and remain buried where they fell to this day.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

UXB! in Millbay! Empty
PostSubject: Re: UXB! in Millbay!   UXB! in Millbay! EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 9:55 pm

seadog wrote:

Pity really, they should have let it blow up if it had been a real one. Would have done 50 quids worth of improvements! Very Happy 

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

UXB! in Millbay! Empty
PostSubject: Re: UXB! in Millbay!   UXB! in Millbay! EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 10:13 pm

Iggy wrote:
Sort it out Seadog, I need to use the ferry port next month! I bet theres loads of UXB's all over Plymouth, one was found on a site I was working on in Prince Rock years ago.

I had to evacuate that night. The police told us to leave our windows open - in Prince Rock with the local hoodies on the prowl - and vacate the area. It must have been six years ago.
Back to top Go down
Peggy

Peggy

UXB! in Millbay! Empty
PostSubject: Re: UXB! in Millbay!   UXB! in Millbay! EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 1:20 pm

Mapperley, darling wrote:
whats the chances of one being uncovered by the hhp dev? another straw...

The original grandstand was virtually destroyed in WWII, and the pitch was a mass of craters. There'll definitely have to be a bomb survey done - but then that's the case on virtually any construction site in Plymouth.
Back to top Go down

UXB! in Millbay! Empty
PostSubject: Re: UXB! in Millbay!   UXB! in Millbay! EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 4:56 pm

Am I misremembering .... wasn't Lipson Arena something to do with bombs ... or a bomb?
Back to top Go down

UXB! in Millbay! Empty
PostSubject: Re: UXB! in Millbay!   UXB! in Millbay! EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 9:05 pm

I think Lipson Park was a landfill after the War knecht. Underneath the park area several million quids worth of American equipment was buried and the area raised. Think it was more of a valley before that. I don't think the arena was created by bombing but more from the landfill and blocking off the Railway sheds at the end. My Mum was born and brought up in Old Laira Road which overlooked that area and if still alive I could confirm the above.
Back to top Go down

UXB! in Millbay! Empty
PostSubject: Re: UXB! in Millbay!   UXB! in Millbay! EmptyTue Jul 16, 2013 9:31 pm

Add that to the two that were unearthed when the NAAFI building in Notte Street was demolished.
Another bad idea by PCC
Back to top Go down

UXB! in Millbay! Empty
PostSubject: Re: UXB! in Millbay!   UXB! in Millbay! EmptySun Jul 21, 2013 9:59 am

knecht wrote:
Am I misremembering .... wasn't Lipson Arena something to do with bombs ... or a bomb?

The arena in the school grounds was made by American soldiers as a baseball arena and running track.
Back to top Go down

UXB! in Millbay! Empty
PostSubject: Re: UXB! in Millbay!   UXB! in Millbay! EmptySun Jul 21, 2013 3:34 pm

hairy j wrote:
knecht wrote:

The arena in the school grounds was made by American soldiers as a baseball arena and running track.

Source for that? I've looked but have only found some tenuous links with the railway.
Back to top Go down

UXB! in Millbay! Empty
PostSubject: Re: UXB! in Millbay!   UXB! in Millbay! EmptySun Jul 21, 2013 4:27 pm

I thought that the Lipson arena was a shunting yard or something?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

UXB! in Millbay! Empty
PostSubject: Re: UXB! in Millbay!   UXB! in Millbay! Empty

Back to top Go down

UXB! in Millbay!
Page 1 of 1