Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Richard Blight ( the thread formerly known as .. Away to Stourbridge )

Go down 
+7
Chemical Ali
pepsipete
`rgill
Greenskin
Tringreen
Mapperley, darling
Mock Cuncher
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

Richard Blight ( the thread formerly known as .. Away to Stourbridge  ) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Richard Blight   Richard Blight ( the thread formerly known as .. Away to Stourbridge  ) - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:45 pm

For what it is inevitably worth, you old guys may have your 'great' memories and life experiences, etc, but in the wild you'd be among the first of the herd to be picked off by the lions. If you cant handle the heat, your carcass would rot on the savannah, etc.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/

Richard Blight ( the thread formerly known as .. Away to Stourbridge  ) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Richard Blight ( the thread formerly known as .. Away to Stourbridge )   Richard Blight ( the thread formerly known as .. Away to Stourbridge  ) - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:50 pm

Mock Cuncher wrote:
For what it is inevitably worth, you old guys may have your 'great' memories and life experiences, etc, but in the wild you'd be among the first of the herd to be picked off by the lions. If you cant handle the heat, your carcass would rot on the savannah, etc.

That maybe true, but at least we don't change every thread title to "Richard Blight" Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Richard Blight ( the thread formerly known as .. Away to Stourbridge )   Richard Blight ( the thread formerly known as .. Away to Stourbridge  ) - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 12:52 pm

Frank Bullitt wrote:
funny man wrote:

Steve Pearce went on, I think, to be Deputy Chief Constable for Devon & Cornwall.

I worked with Steve Pearce at Crownhill in the late 90s. He was Chief Superintendent of Plymouth area at the time. I think he went up to Assistant Chief Constable (one below DCC) before retiring and taking a position with the NHS Trust (I think). A top quality bloke and head and shoulders above most senior officers I have encountered.

I grew up with him from about the age of 5 - primary school & then secondary. He was a year older. I remember going with him and his mum to walk across the Tamar Bridge a day or so after it opened. At the risk of falling into the stereotype trap, someone less likely to become a cop in a senior position you were never likely to meet. He was very quiet, nervous and unassuming. A really good bloke, nevertheless, as well as being a top footballer. We lost contact after he left school. I had also heard on the grapevine that he was well respected in the force. Really pleased for him! Yes, he did go onto the NHS Trust. I wonder if he is on ATD or even pasoti?

I started Sutton in 1963 and left 1971 - also having to do an extra year in the Lower 6th. This wasn't because I wasn't paying attention. It was because I wasn't clever enough Basketball (I also had lots and lots of things going on in my private life that was enough to take my mind off school but then schools weren't interested in that in those days.....). One of my favourite lines in a report was from Henry Bristow to the effect that "If he paid as much attention in lessons as he did on the sport field he would do better". Bastard! He knew nothing! Laughing

Hayden Jones lived near me at West Park (and in the same street as Steve Pearce). He did play cricket for Tavistock. I have heard other people say he was a good man. That may have been true out of the class but, like many of the teachers in those days, he was a bully in the class-room in my humble opinion.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Richard Blight ( the thread formerly known as .. Away to Stourbridge )   Richard Blight ( the thread formerly known as .. Away to Stourbridge  ) - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 1:02 pm

Frank Bullitt wrote:
funny man wrote:

Steve Pearce went on, I think, to be Deputy Chief Constable for Devon & Cornwall.

I worked with Steve Pearce at Crownhill in the late 90s. He was Chief Superintendent of Plymouth area at the time. I think he went up to Assistant Chief Constable (one below DCC) before retiring and taking a position with the NHS Trust (I think). A top quality bloke and head and shoulders above most senior officers I have encountered.
A real nice guy Steve, very gentle and understated... which funnily enough is how he played football ... deceptively fast and effective on the wing... he played at a good Western League level for years. I used to laugh when he used to pop up on the TV regarding some issue or crime. I think the other Old Sutt that always cropped up for the Plymouth Police on TV was Stuart Newberry, he had a bit of a sense of humour as I remember.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Richard Blight ( the thread formerly known as .. Away to Stourbridge )   Richard Blight ( the thread formerly known as .. Away to Stourbridge  ) - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 1:13 pm

funny man wrote:
Hayden Jones lived near me at West Park (and in the same street as Steve Pearce). He did play cricket for Tavistock. I have heard other people say he was a good man. That may have been true out of the class but, like many of the teachers in those days, he was a bully in the class-room in my humble opinion.
Interesting comments there. Hilton, I think was his name, and he was indeed a bully in the class, big booming voice, liked to intimidate and clip people around the ear. He also turned when I had a bust up with Henry. He would throw out the homework books in the air in disdain, but after school, especially with his cricket coaching, he was an absolute darling, and very Ray Rose like in his desire to bring the best out of his sporting charges.. I tried wrist leg spin one year and found I could spin it 90 degrees in the right conditions .. so he went out bought me a book on the art of leg break bowling by C S Marriott ... he would get locked up for that these days probably. I've still got the book and is a great technical read.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Richard Blight ( the thread formerly known as .. Away to Stourbridge )   Richard Blight ( the thread formerly known as .. Away to Stourbridge  ) - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 1:46 pm

penzancepirate wrote:
funny man wrote:
Interesting comments there. Hilton, I think was his name, and he was indeed a bully in the class, big booming voice, liked to intimidate and clip people around the ear. He also turned when I had a bust up with Henry. He would throw out the homework books in the air in disdain, but after school, especially with his cricket coaching, he was an absolute darling, and very Ray Rose like in his desire to bring the best out of his sporting charges.. I tried wrist leg spin one year and found I could spin it 90 degrees in the right conditions .. so he went out bought me a book on the art of leg break bowling by C S Marriott ... he would get locked up for that these days probably. I've still got the book and is a great technical read.

Yes, you're right. 'twas Hilton.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Richard Blight ( the thread formerly known as .. Away to Stourbridge )   Richard Blight ( the thread formerly known as .. Away to Stourbridge  ) - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 1:49 pm

penzancepirate wrote:
Frank Bullitt wrote:
funny man wrote:

A real nice guy Steve, very gentle and understated... which funnily enough is how he played football ... deceptively fast and effective on the wing... he played at a good Western League level for years. I used to laugh when he used to pop up on the TV regarding some issue or crime. I think the other Old Sutt that always cropped up for the Plymouth Police on TV was Stuart Newberry, he had a bit of a sense of humour as I remember.

Newberry!!!!!! A friend of my younger brother - both of them rogues at school.

Reminds me of a relevant story .... my younger brother & a couple of mates nipped next door to the pub in North Street (can't remember its name) and a good chance that Newberry was one of them. Right next to the school ffs - they were 16 at the oldest! One of them went up to the bar to get a second drink and the barman said that someone had got them all another half and pointed through the bar to the other room. There was said Mr Jones with a couple of teachers who gave them a cheery smile. They then got a huge bollocking on their return to school but, considering their "crime" not too bad really.
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: Richard Blight ( the thread formerly known as .. Away to Stourbridge )   Richard Blight ( the thread formerly known as .. Away to Stourbridge  ) - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 3:25 pm

My old man went to Sutton, I'm guessing around 1957 - 1964 so was slightly older. He has mentioned Ray Rose (who I think ended up as Head at Tamar Grammar [before it shut]). He's also mentioned a teacher called 'Froggy' Phillips - a French teacher and psycho. He also mentioned Wally James,a maths teacher who later taught at DHS. He played for the first team (football).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Richard Blight ( the thread formerly known as .. Away to Stourbridge )   Richard Blight ( the thread formerly known as .. Away to Stourbridge  ) - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 3:57 pm

Wally a good man - too good for Sutton.

Froggie Phillips ..... before I say anything about him I would want assurances that either he is no longer still alive and that surviving relatives are unable to take legal action against me. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Richard Blight ( the thread formerly known as .. Away to Stourbridge )   Richard Blight ( the thread formerly known as .. Away to Stourbridge  ) - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 11:27 pm

What about Titch Thomas the PE Teacher ? .................... 'Left knee raise.......lower. Right knee raise, lower.' White shorts, no pants, dangling from the wallbars . What a Face
Back to top Go down
Mapperley, darling

Mapperley, darling

PostSubject: Re: Richard Blight ( the thread formerly known as .. Away to Stourbridge )   Richard Blight ( the thread formerly known as .. Away to Stourbridge  ) - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 10:22 am

right, back to the match: heres a link, wont be up til 6ish on tuesday though

happy viewing affraid

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
http://www.nicegarden.co.uk
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Richard Blight ( the thread formerly known as .. Away to Stourbridge )   Richard Blight ( the thread formerly known as .. Away to Stourbridge  ) - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 20, 2011 11:57 am

Sneinton Green wrote:
right, back to the match: heres a link, wont be up til 6ish on tuesday though

happy viewing affraid

Thanks a lot ! What a Face
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Richard Blight ( the thread formerly known as .. Away to Stourbridge )   Richard Blight ( the thread formerly known as .. Away to Stourbridge  ) - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 9:23 am

Kick off is at 19.15,BTW.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Richard Blight ( the thread formerly known as .. Away to Stourbridge )   Richard Blight ( the thread formerly known as .. Away to Stourbridge  ) - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 1:24 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Plz work out this in Australia....thx
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: Richard Blight ( the thread formerly known as .. Away to Stourbridge )   Richard Blight ( the thread formerly known as .. Away to Stourbridge  ) - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 1:32 pm

Mock Cuncher wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
Plz work out this in Australia....thx

0515?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Richard Blight ( the thread formerly known as .. Away to Stourbridge )   Richard Blight ( the thread formerly known as .. Away to Stourbridge  ) - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 2:21 pm

Now this one's called Richard Blight! Or is that just me?
Back to top Go down
Nick

Nick

PostSubject: Re: Richard Blight ( the thread formerly known as .. Away to Stourbridge )   Richard Blight ( the thread formerly known as .. Away to Stourbridge  ) - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 2:39 pm

Peggy wrote:

It's only a matter of time before the site itself is renamed Richard Blight Talk Democratic.

I think there are some 5th columnists at work here pirat
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Richard Blight ( the thread formerly known as .. Away to Stourbridge )   Richard Blight ( the thread formerly known as .. Away to Stourbridge  ) - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 3:11 pm

Peggy wrote:

No, you're Peggy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Richard Blight ( the thread formerly known as .. Away to Stourbridge )   Richard Blight ( the thread formerly known as .. Away to Stourbridge  ) - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 4:29 pm

I bet that happened with Mock's post lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Richard Blight ( the thread formerly known as .. Away to Stourbridge )   Richard Blight ( the thread formerly known as .. Away to Stourbridge  ) - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 6:27 pm

Well, let's try and change it back to Away to Stourbridge, as Peter originally called it, and see what happens. jocolor
Back to top Go down
Richard Blight

Richard Blight

PostSubject: Re: Richard Blight ( the thread formerly known as .. Away to Stourbridge )   Richard Blight ( the thread formerly known as .. Away to Stourbridge  ) - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 10:15 pm

Dunno what's going on but it's confused me scratch
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Richard Blight ( the thread formerly known as .. Away to Stourbridge )   Richard Blight ( the thread formerly known as .. Away to Stourbridge  ) - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 10:21 pm

It's a glitch Richard, nothing to do with you, it's Mocks iphone lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Richard Blight ( the thread formerly known as .. Away to Stourbridge )   Richard Blight ( the thread formerly known as .. Away to Stourbridge  ) - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 10:24 pm

Someone is playing silly buggers Richard ... we're not quite sure who yet, especially given the history of our former site where certain Pasoti folk were very naughty, but I'm sure we'll find out the cause sooner or later. There might be a systemic weakness ... in the meantime, we're all aware, and no real harm has been done.
We do apologise
Back to top Go down
Richard Blight

Richard Blight

PostSubject: Re: Richard Blight ( the thread formerly known as .. Away to Stourbridge )   Richard Blight ( the thread formerly known as .. Away to Stourbridge  ) - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 10:37 pm

No apologies required. Just a bit puzzled as to what all the school stuff had to do with me. Mind you I did go to one Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Southborne

PostSubject: Re: Richard Blight ( the thread formerly known as .. Away to Stourbridge )   Richard Blight ( the thread formerly known as .. Away to Stourbridge  ) - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 7:39 pm

There you go guys, A link to the FA Cup game live streaming
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Richard Blight ( the thread formerly known as .. Away to Stourbridge )   Richard Blight ( the thread formerly known as .. Away to Stourbridge  ) - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Richard Blight ( the thread formerly known as .. Away to Stourbridge )
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next