Tgwu
mannameadbabe
greensleeves
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Dingle

Not Going For Promotion Then? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not Going For Promotion Then?   Not Going For Promotion Then? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 12:33 pm

In a perverse sort of way, the struggle at the end of last season probably increased the POTDers as it increased the excitement.  A mid-table team wouldn't create the same atmosphere and I can see less turning up.
Back to top Go down
Dingle

PostSubject: Re: Not Going For Promotion Then?   Not Going For Promotion Then? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 12:38 pm

In a perverse sort of way, the struggle at the end of last season probably increased the POTDers as it increased the excitement.  A mid-table team wouldn't create the same atmosphere and I can see less turning up.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Not Going For Promotion Then?   Not Going For Promotion Then? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 12:41 pm

Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: Not Going For Promotion Then?   Not Going For Promotion Then? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 12:42 pm

In a perverse sort of way, the struggle at the end of last season probably increased the POTDers as it increased the excitement. A mid-table team wouldn't create the same atmosphere and I can see less turning up.
Back to top Go down
Lord Tisdale

Lord Tisdale

PostSubject: Re: Not Going For Promotion Then?   Not Going For Promotion Then? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 1:02 pm

GreenSam wrote:

Lord Tis- we were actually higher than mid table quality after Fletch got sacked, we were borderline play-offs.

But you did in fact finish just the one point from relegation.
Back to top Go down
Lord Tisdale

Lord Tisdale

PostSubject: Re: Not Going For Promotion Then?   Not Going For Promotion Then? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 1:05 pm

Dingle wrote:

Sorry, are you saying that yer average Garg supporter is a pervert?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Not Going For Promotion Then?   Not Going For Promotion Then? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 1:37 pm

Anyone that supports the Greens or Reds must at least be into S&M.
Back to top Go down
GreenSam

PostSubject: Re: Not Going For Promotion Then?   Not Going For Promotion Then? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 1:44 pm

Lord Tisdale wrote:
GreenSam wrote:

Lord Tis- we were actually higher than mid table quality after Fletch got sacked, we were borderline play-offs.

Quite so, but as you rightly said yourself that was only because the other teams in the mix were also in abnormally good form.
Back to top Go down
Lord Tisdale

Lord Tisdale

PostSubject: Re: Not Going For Promotion Then?   Not Going For Promotion Then? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 2:41 pm

GreenSam wrote:
Lord Tisdale wrote:
GreenSam wrote:

Quite so, but as you rightly said yourself that was only because the other teams in the mix were also in abnormally good form.

Not "abnormally good" enough for some of us.

The real point is that having seen a lot of those "in form" teams last season I have to say that they were actually still pretty shiite, second half of the season the whole league took a backward step imho, I saw some absolutley awful performances.

I don't think anybody will have to improve much to challenge with pompey looking to be the only obvious stand out side, Mansfield should be the new Fleetwood but probably with more staying power, Cheltenham always in the frame with the Gas making a better showing. The rest will be all to play for imho.
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Not Going For Promotion Then?   Not Going For Promotion Then? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 8:55 am

Freathy wrote:
GOB wrote:
Isn't this the bit where the football collides with the ambitious money making developments of the Brent empire, can you imagine a successful season with the high numbers entering and leaving Home Park while negotiating a route through construction traffic and, even when complete, can you imagine hotel guest and cinema users being held up for hours?

I'm afraid a successful football club is not a part of the Brent vision for Central Park. or for the City of Plymouth.

Absolutely.  If Sheridan was able to make signings he would have.  Other clubs have strengthened.  Brent fobs us off with the shitest stand he can possibly get away with to unlock the non-Argyle related lucrative property deals which prevents any future expansion of the ground and won't  fund a team capable of competing in L2.  Argyle going out the league or out of existance would suit brent fine.  Maybe that's why he wants to hand it over to the superfans.  If anyone can kill Argyle off quickly it's them.

Argyle are in the same place as other League Two sides [apart from Pompey] regarding signings at the moment. Apparently,many contracts end on July 1st,so i would expect to see activity just before or on or after that date..?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by VillageGreen on Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:06 am; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Not Going For Promotion Then?   Not Going For Promotion Then? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 8:59 am

VillageGreen wrote:
Freathy wrote:
GOB wrote:
Isn't this the bit where the football collides with the ambitious money making developments of the Brent empire, can you imagine a successful season with the high numbers entering and leaving Home Park while negotiating a route through construction traffic and, even when complete, can you imagine hotel guest and cinema users being held up for hours?

I'm afraid a successful football club is not a part of the Brent vision for Central Park. or for the City of Plymouth.

Absolutely.  If Sheridan was able to make signings he would have.  Other clubs have strengthened.  Brent fobs us off with the shitest stand he can possibly get away with to unlock the non-Argyle related lucrative property deals which prevents any future expansion of the ground and won't  fund a team capable of competing in L2.  Argyle going out the league or out of existance would suit brent fine.  Maybe that's why he wants to hand it over to the superfans.  If anyone can kill Argyle off quickly it's them.

Not so. Argyle are in the same place as other League Two sides [apart from Pompey] regarding signings.

Tis true. Apart from Pompey, we're all village.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Not Going For Promotion Then?   Not Going For Promotion Then? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 9:34 am

It's true what is said of all the teams at the bottom having the same form, last season we didn't have two stand out teams that just got hammered every week from Christmas who then occupied two of the relly places, we also had everybody else doing badly changing their manager, strengthening at the back, trying hard not to lose too much and none of us had an out and out twenty a season man up front, it's like a blueprint for mediocrity and will probably be followed again this year, it is an awful league and one the avivas are welcome to.
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: Not Going For Promotion Then?   Not Going For Promotion Then? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 10:08 am

Have we had the 'irons in fires' talk about signing players yet?

Unless we become a team that scores goals (yep egg sucking football knowledge on display here) we aren't going to go anywhere fast.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Not Going For Promotion Then?   Not Going For Promotion Then? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 10:55 am

GreenSam wrote:
GOB wrote:
GreenSam wrote:
GOB wrote:
"eyes wide open" - come off it Sam, it's exactly one of the reasons why the club has to have such a limited capacity, because if it was any higher Brent would have one hell of a job selling his venture ideas.

The reason why we will have such a small grandstand has nothing to do with cost, it's to do with limiting the club's ability to be successful because success equals larger crowds and larger crows equals a problem for hotel, cinema and fast food customers.
Well that's a reasonable argument but once the hotel and cinemas are signed up and have their schedule times laid out then I don't think it'll really matter if there are 15,000 or 16,000 inside HP.

Exactly Sam, hence why the new stand cannot be built any larger or have room for future expansion.
Well in that case we're probably arguing at cross purposes- I'm saying that I don't think Brent will set a purposefully lower than possible budget just for the sake of reducing attendances but I do however think that the future expansion plans won't happen. So we probably agree in a roundabout way.

Lord Tis- we were actually higher than mid table quality after Fletch got sacked, we were borderline play-offs. Jason Banton, Joe Bryan and Lee Cox are big shoes to fill though.

Simply put, a successful season would mean larger crowds, larger crowds would require a larger stadium, a larger stadium would mean more people, more people would mean longer delays and a more expensive infrastructure, a more expensive infrastructure and longer delays mean more hassle and more expense, more expense and hassle mean less cinema and hotel users, less hotel and cinema users mean less value, less value mean less profit for Brent.

A successful season would be a nightmare for Brent, hence the rush to build the grandstand at the fear of a successful Club. However a few seasons in the Blue Square would prove Brent's grandstand ambitions to be spot on, hence Newell's acceptance and almost willingness to see the Club relegated out of the FL.

At least that's how I see it!
Back to top Go down
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

PostSubject: Re: Not Going For Promotion Then?   Not Going For Promotion Then? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 12:03 pm

Brent will do the minimum he can to keep the club afloat - without building the ministand, the other developments cannot take place.

In a few years he'll wander off having made his millions leaving someone else to come in and try and get the club back into the football league.

As for this year, given the money available (which really is peanuts), I wouldn't be surprised to see us struggling once again. Sheridan will do well to keep us out of the bottom two.
Back to top Go down
Lord Tisdale

Lord Tisdale

PostSubject: Re: Not Going For Promotion Then?   Not Going For Promotion Then? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 1:54 pm

GOB wrote:
larger crowds would require a larger stadium,

Oh please stop it.

Even the reduced cap might get threatened three times, Pompey if you are both doing well, Turks for their cup final and ECFC for your cup final.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Not Going For Promotion Then?   Not Going For Promotion Then? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 2:12 pm

PlymptonPilgrim wrote:
Brent will do the minimum he can to keep the club afloat - without building the ministand, the other developments cannot take place.

In a few years he'll wander off having made his millions leaving someone else to come in and try and get the club back into the football league.

As for this year, given the money available (which really is peanuts), I wouldn't be surprised to see us struggling once again. Sheridan will do well to keep us out of the bottom two.

Yup, and he will be replaced with a bunch of local Ken Bates wannabees less his cash and Nikk can buy as many second hand shirts as he wants but he will never be a Ken Bates.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Not Going For Promotion Then?   Not Going For Promotion Then? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 21, 2013 6:57 pm

GOB wrote:

Simply put, a successful season would mean larger crowds, larger crowds would require a larger stadium, a larger stadium would mean more people, more people would mean longer delays and a more expensive infrastructure, a more expensive infrastructure and longer delays mean more hassle and more expense, more expense and hassle mean less cinema and hotel users, less hotel and cinema users mean less value, less value mean less profit for Brent.

A  successful season would be a nightmare for Brent, hence the rush to build the grandstand at the fear of a successful Club. However a few seasons in the Blue Square would prove Brent's grandstand ambitions to be spot on, hence Newell's acceptance and almost willingness to see the Club relegated out of the FL.

At least that's how I see it!

And me

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Not Going For Promotion Then?   Not Going For Promotion Then? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Not Going For Promotion Then?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2