swampy
Tgwu
mannameadbabe
greensleeves
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Not Going For Promotion Then? Empty
PostSubject: Not Going For Promotion Then?   Not Going For Promotion Then? EmptyWed Jun 19, 2013 8:53 pm

Season starts in six weeks all thats signed up is a goal keeper with a past we all know about, and a non scoring winger who rumour has it was offered less money to stay at his old club, seeing as we avoided relegation by one point last season it looks like the property magnet is hoping a few loans and a massive dose of luck to see us finish above my bottom two morcombe and torquay, yes brent your mini ground will be plenty big enough!
Back to top Go down
greensleeves

PostSubject: Re: Not Going For Promotion Then?   Not Going For Promotion Then? EmptyWed Jun 19, 2013 9:07 pm

A glance at the current squad would seem to confirm that.Very difficult to be optimistic.Need some quality in the squad if we are looking to be serious contenders,otherwise just another season of going through the motions.Not a nice end product.
Back to top Go down
mannameadbabe

mannameadbabe

PostSubject: Re: Not Going For Promotion Then?   Not Going For Promotion Then? EmptyWed Jun 19, 2013 9:12 pm

Hmmm - all our lips may be quivering a lot this season......
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Not Going For Promotion Then?   Not Going For Promotion Then? EmptyWed Jun 19, 2013 9:35 pm

I think it is to early for defeatism talk so soon; I am waiting until pre season training is in full swing. Agents are trying to force manager to take their players on with high wages that teams cannot afford, they will soon drop their wage demand when no teams will pay ball. There will be to many players chasing to few places.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Not Going For Promotion Then?   Not Going For Promotion Then? EmptyWed Jun 19, 2013 10:05 pm

Isn't this the bit where the football collides with the ambitious money making developments of the Brent empire, can you imagine a successful season with the high numbers entering and leaving Home Park while negotiating a route through construction traffic and, even when complete, can you imagine hotel guest and cinema users being held up for hours?

I'm afraid a successful football club is not a part of the Brent vision for Central Park. or for the City of Plymouth.
Back to top Go down
swampy

PostSubject: Re: Not Going For Promotion Then?   Not Going For Promotion Then? EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 1:15 am

Very few signings are made before the end of June when current contracts expire.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Not Going For Promotion Then?   Not Going For Promotion Then? EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 7:14 am

One player who will seem like a new signing is Tyler Harvey. He'll get games this season. Hopefully, he'll be our scoring striker we've been crying out for.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Not Going For Promotion Then?   Not Going For Promotion Then? EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 7:46 am

Nothing about PAFC gives me the urge to attend anymore,the year on year relegation scraps, the shit players on the pitch, the lack of signings,a Wanker as a President, fans in the board-room, Ultras in the Devonport telling the rest of us to "shaddap" and blindly follow. 
At least with most of the above there  was the tiniest ray of light in the tunnel that one day we could do a Hull, Swansea,Charlton, Reading or Brighton...now even that little grain of hope looks like it will be taken away if HHP in its present form comes to fruition.
An asset stripper has literally been brought in by some of the fans to ruin the other fans hopes....you simply cannot make this shit up.
I dont know whether to laugh or cry...what is the point anymore??
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Not Going For Promotion Then?   Not Going For Promotion Then? EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 8:03 am

Harvey could be our very own new Matt LeCointe.

Depressing if that's the sort of basket we're putting all our eggs in.

In years gone by I used to juggle everything around making sure I could get to Argyle on a Saturday. Those days are now sadly finished.

Last edited by Czarcasm on Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Not Going For Promotion Then?   Not Going For Promotion Then? EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 8:04 am

GOB wrote:
Isn't this the bit where the football collides with the ambitious money making developments of the Brent empire, can you imagine a successful season with the high numbers entering and leaving Home Park while negotiating a route through construction traffic and, even when complete, can you imagine hotel guest and cinema users being held up for hours?

I'm afraid a successful football club is not a part of the Brent vision for Central Park. or for the City of Plymouth.

Absolutely. If Sheridan was able to make signings he would have. Other clubs have strengthened. Brent fobs us off with the shitest stand he can possibly get away with to unlock the non-Argyle related lucrative property deals which prevents any future expansion of the ground and won't fund a team capable of competing in L2. Argyle going out the league or out of existance would suit brent fine. Maybe that's why he wants to hand it over to the superfans. If anyone can kill Argyle off quickly it's them.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Not Going For Promotion Then?   Not Going For Promotion Then? EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 8:39 am

Freathy wrote:
GOB wrote:

Absolutely.  If Sheridan was able to make signings he would have.  Other clubs have strengthened.  Brent fobs us off with the shitest stand he can possibly get away with to unlock the non-Argyle related lucrative property deals which prevents any future expansion of the ground and won't  fund a team capable of competing in L2.  Argyle going out the league or out of existance would suit brent fine.  Maybe that's why he wants to hand it over to the superfans.  If anyone can kill Argyle off quickly it's them.

The end game is in sight Sad Act. We did try. Love Ginger Pubes.

Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: Not Going For Promotion Then?   Not Going For Promotion Then? EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 8:58 am

At the moment the only thing that is better than this time last year is Sheridan.  There are seeds of hope in what he achieved last season.  Although it was too close for comfort and I still think the team 'choked' at times when they could have guaranteed safety by getting a result.  Crawling to safety on the last day and relying on other results shouldn't have been in the plan.

Sitting here I can't even remember the name of the new guy let alone know if he will be any good.  And the prospect of Warren Feeney still being in with a chance of a contract isn't exactly lipsmacking. 

It's not so much 'in Sheridan we trust' is more like in Sheridan we are putting all our eggs in one basket.
Back to top Go down
GreenSam

PostSubject: Re: Not Going For Promotion Then?   Not Going For Promotion Then? EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 10:23 am

We evidently have one of the lowest available budgets in the league and Sheridan has to make a silk purse out of a sows ear. I imagine there are a good few more signings to come but this lack of spending leverage puts him at an immediate disadvantage when all the rest of the teams in the league are getting themselves more or less sorted. Admittedly, some of them have made less signings than us but most of them are probably more or less sorted for next season anyway.

I don't buy Gob's theory that Brent actually wants low crowds to avoid getting in the way of the construction traffic (how much harm can an hour's extra traffic 17 times a season at most actually do) but I do think that Sheridan has both hands tied firmly behind his back. If anyone can lift us up, it's him but he can only do so much with a spending kitty that I imagine is around the top of the bottom third in this league if not lower. I personally think a season of around 12th-15th is on the cards. He's good enough to avoid us getting into the really nasty business again but only so much can be done with a poultry budget and tough circumstances.

The irony was, last year we did by most accounts have a pretty good budget but so much of it was tied up in pre-existing contracts like Purse, Wotton, Bhasera's old deal, Chadwick and all the rest. What was left was wasted by Fletcher on mediocrity. If only we had Sheridan then instead.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Not Going For Promotion Then?   Not Going For Promotion Then? EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 10:25 am

Sam, if you were a cinema owner, would you be happy with that situation?
Back to top Go down
GreenSam

PostSubject: Re: Not Going For Promotion Then?   Not Going For Promotion Then? EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 10:26 am

Aren't we talking about this season though before the cinema is even built?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Not Going For Promotion Then?   Not Going For Promotion Then? EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 10:33 am

mid table is my prediction.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Not Going For Promotion Then?   Not Going For Promotion Then? EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 10:40 am

GreenSam wrote:

Then imagine the situation of gaining promotion this season and the larger crowds for next season.
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: Not Going For Promotion Then?   Not Going For Promotion Then? EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 10:46 am

Something else that bothers me is that the teams I saw us play were just awful.  Plain awful.  I don't think across the spread of the season I'd ever seen a worse collection of football teams.  I know that the memory dims but in all my Argyle watching the quality of show in the bottom division was the most woeful I can remember.

It just can't be as bad again surely.  So if other teams up their game then we have to doubly so.
Back to top Go down
GreenSam

PostSubject: Re: Not Going For Promotion Then?   Not Going For Promotion Then? EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 11:06 am

GOB wrote:
GreenSam wrote:

Then imagine the situation of gaining promotion this season and the larger crowds for next season.
I agree that the whole access road scenario is a poorly thought out fiasco but ultimately whoever signs up to run the cinema and hotel is going into it with their eyes wide open that there will be temporary closures on matchdays I guess. I don't deny that money making is the main concern above football but the idea that JB would deliberately try to make low crowds come to Home Park just so they could fit in an 18.30 screening as well as a 19.00 one seems just a bit too far fetched. Don't forget that the money making stuff inside Home Park also becomes more profitable as we climb the leagues. Don't get me wrong, I think the access road will be chaos and I'm not disagreeing that the cinema is of greater concern to the ownership of the club than the club itself but the idea of deliberate sabotage just to be able to make HHP clear a matter of 20 minutes earlier on matchdays just seems as I say, a little far fetched.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Not Going For Promotion Then?   Not Going For Promotion Then? EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 11:10 am

Sam wrote:

He's good enough to avoid us getting into the really nasty business again but only so much can be done with a poultry budget and tough circumstances.

The club is chicken shit and it's not over til the reluctant bidder's lip stops quivering.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Not Going For Promotion Then?   Not Going For Promotion Then? EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 11:11 am

"eyes wide open" - come off it Sam, it's exactly one of the reasons why the club has to have such a limited capacity, because if it was any higher Brent would have one hell of a job selling his venture ideas.

The reason why we will have such a small grandstand has nothing to do with cost, it's to do with limiting the club's ability to be successful because success equals larger crowds and larger crows equals a problem for hotel, cinema and fast food customers.
Back to top Go down
GreenSam

PostSubject: Re: Not Going For Promotion Then?   Not Going For Promotion Then? EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 11:39 am

GOB wrote:
"eyes wide open" - come off it Sam, it's exactly one of the reasons why the club has to have such a limited capacity, because if it was any higher Brent would have one hell of a job selling his venture ideas.

The reason why we will have such a small grandstand has nothing to do with cost, it's to do with limiting the club's ability to be successful because success equals larger crowds and larger crows equals a problem for hotel, cinema and fast food customers.
Well that's a reasonable argument but once the hotel and cinemas are signed up and have their schedule times laid out then I don't think it'll really matter if there are 15,000 or 16,000 inside HP.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Not Going For Promotion Then?   Not Going For Promotion Then? EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 12:01 pm

GreenSam wrote:
GOB wrote:

Well that's a reasonable argument but once the hotel and cinemas are signed up and have their schedule times laid out then I don't think it'll really matter if there are 15,000 or 16,000 inside HP.

Exactly Sam, hence why the new stand cannot be built any larger or have room for future expansion.
Back to top Go down
Lord Tisdale

Lord Tisdale

PostSubject: Re: Not Going For Promotion Then?   Not Going For Promotion Then? EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 12:13 pm

OMG!

You boys have got it bad.

Second half of the season, post Fletch, you boys were mid table quality, the only reason you didn't finish comfortable was the way in which everybody down there picked up.

You had a fair few young players who will come back a year bigger, stronger and more experienced with the benefit of another year under Sherry Baby.

Your problem, like ours, will be hitting the omion bag, unless you can dig up a gem or get one in on loan then that will be an issue but FFS give it up with overt pessimism, despite " the League never lies" we all have nil pointe and its all to play for. There are a couple of teams you would automatically think will be up there but the general level is likely to be pretty poor just like last season, grow some ffff'n blocks lads.
Back to top Go down
GreenSam

PostSubject: Re: Not Going For Promotion Then?   Not Going For Promotion Then? EmptyThu Jun 20, 2013 12:20 pm

GOB wrote:
GreenSam wrote:
GOB wrote:

Exactly Sam, hence why the new stand cannot be built any larger or have room for future expansion.
Well in that case we're probably arguing at cross purposes- I'm saying that I don't think Brent will set a purposefully lower than possible budget just for the sake of reducing attendances but I do however think that the future expansion plans won't happen. So we probably agree in a roundabout way.

Lord Tis- we were actually higher than mid table quality after Fletch got sacked, we were borderline play-offs. Jason Banton, Joe Bryan and Lee Cox are big shoes to fill though.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Not Going For Promotion Then?   Not Going For Promotion Then? Empty

Back to top Go down

Not Going For Promotion Then?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next