Mock Cuncher
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

The People's President - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The People's President   The People's President - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 10:40 am

Mock Cuncher wrote:
The point i was making was that in order to be "the people's" anything, surely the people would have had to have had some form of choice in the matter. Chris Webb wasn't chosen in any way, and i find it doubtful that more than a quarter of the fanbase would even have heard of him before he was elected (made) President (by James Brent/Peter Ridsdale). My brother is a big fan, goes to much more games than I do, but steers clear of the internet stuff (he was always the clever one). He doesn't have the foggiest who Chris Webb is, to him it is as meaningless an appointment as the little jap fella before him. If it isn't a former player like maybe Trigger or Tynan, he would just assume it is a political decision and ignore it.

Two Words - corporate governance. Brent's big on that, and that's not a bad thing.

Probably things will become clearer in the next couple of weeks.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: The People's President   The People's President - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 10:45 am

X Isle wrote:
penzancepirate wrote:
I think Mock is referring to Webby's position within Pasoti Trust that put him in the frame for Club president. He was never elected and arrived from nowhere... and in fact under his 'stewardship' and behest, elections were postponed. Fans' Trusts are elected bodies ... that's what they are.

In fairness re the postponement of the elections I think that was a 'damned if you do' moment.

The elections were due just as AFC Heaney/Ridsdale was heading to it's inevitable demise. I can just imagine the shitstorm they'd have faced "Rome burns around them and they hold elections" Evil or Very Mad.

Not getting drawn into the daily character assasination thing and I know this is no place for 'balance'. But if you're honest with yourselves on that specific point you just know that's exactly what the reaction would have been had they'd ploughed ahead with the elections.

True enough Smiffy but the fact remains that he wasn't elected.

He undoubtedly would have been elected.
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: The People's President   The People's President - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 4:43 pm

X Isle wrote:
In fairness re the postponement of the elections I think that was a 'damned if you do' moment.

The elections were due just as AFC Heaney/Ridsdale was heading to it's inevitable demise. I can just imagine the shitstorm they'd have faced "Rome burns around them and they hold elections" Evil or Very Mad.

Except...

The trust could have held their elections at any time, and they had the time, as the trust played little or no part at all in saving the club. The "Trusts role" was played by the CP'rs, leaving the trust in the dilemma it is today - a toothless beast that really has been 'outplayed' by Pasoti and the GT's with the help of its own (previous) chairman who promptly dumped it!

Unbelievable!

Anyway... Talking of the Trust elections, aren't they meant to be held at the end of November? That is two weeks away and yet nobody has heard any details about it yet!

What are the odds on yet another postponement?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The People's President   The People's President - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 5:25 pm

Why does no one here stand for the trust, if your so interested in seeing a different point of view? You must think the trust is important as you talk about it so much; any of you have the balls to stand up for what you believe in and represent the people who agree with you?

I would encourage people with cantary veiwpoints to stand, a variety of opinions is needed on any trust board.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: The People's President   The People's President - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 5:34 pm

Womble wrote:
Why does no one here stand for the trust, if your so interested in seeing a different point of view? You must think the trust is important as you talk about it so much; any of you have the balls to stand up for what you believe in and represent the people who agree with you?

I would encourage people with cantary veiwpoints to stand, a variety of opinions is needed on any trust board.

Not that many of us live in the Plymouth area for a start.
Back to top Go down
125+1

125+1

PostSubject: Re: The People's President   The People's President - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 5:37 pm

Rickler wrote:
Persactly....

Why wasn't Brent and the Riddler advised to make Tommy Tynan President?

WHY, what has Tynan done for the club recently. An Argyle legend maybe, but there are a few of them.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: The People's President   The People's President - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 6:41 pm

125+1 wrote:
Rickler wrote:
Persactly....

WHY, what has Tynan done for the club recently. An Argyle legend maybe, but there are a few of them.

What has recently got to do with anything?? And the word 'legend' is rediculously overused at Argyle. Indeed, it seems anything that moves at Argyle is a 'legend' these days - James "legend" brent FFS!! Laughing But Tynan IS a legend and hero to a great many fans. I would welcome him as club President.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The People's President   The People's President - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 6:54 pm

Freathy wrote:
125+1 wrote:
Rickler wrote:
Persactly....

What has recently got to do with anything?? And the word 'legend' is rediculously overused at Argyle. Indeed, it seems anything that moves at Argyle is a 'legend' these days - James "legend" brent FFS!! Laughing But Tynan IS a legend and hero to a great many fans. I would welcome him as club President.

Why? I assume Brent wants to make club president an active roll, not sure what Tommy would do.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: The People's President   The People's President - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 7:08 pm

Womble wrote:
Freathy wrote:
125+1 wrote:
Rickler wrote:
Persactly....

Why? I assume Brent wants to make club president an active roll, not sure what Tommy would do.

That would certainly be a departure from the norm.The role of a president in football clubs is normally that of a vastly experienced figure head,who has contributed to the club over a long period of time and whose experience could be drawn upon if and when needed.If anyone fitted the bill under those terms of reference,my shout would be Peter Hall,who served the club loyally and in a number of different posts over many decades.And if indeed Chris Webb is to play an active role in the club,why would this be as president and not in some other capacity,say as supporters liaison officer or some such title? And what role would this be,how would it interact with other management posts within the club? Lots of questions to be answered IMHO,we'll see in due course what role and how much influence the new president has.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The People's President   The People's President - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 8:27 pm

Greenskin wrote:
That would certainly be a departure from the norm.The role of a president in football clubs is normally that of a vastly experienced figure head,who has contributed to the club over a long period of time and whose experience could be drawn upon if and when needed.If anyone fitted the bill under those terms of reference,my shout would be Peter Hall,who served the club loyally and in a number of different posts over many decades.And if indeed Chris Webb is to play an active role in the club,why would this be as president and not in some other capacity,say as supporters liaison officer or some such title? And what role would this be,how would it interact with other management posts within the club? Lots of questions to be answered IMHO,we'll see in due course what role and how much influence the new president has.

Certainly lots of questions to answer.

My problem is not that Chris has been offered a role. I don't think I go with the cynicism on here (what a surprise) that it has been done to emasculate the fans' voice or that in some way he has sold out. It may simply be that Brent wished to recognise the work he put into saving the club, liked the man and considered that the fans (as recognised by pasoti certainly - but what else did he have to go on?) would welcome the appointment of one of their own. Simple. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

One of my problems is that the fans may consider this is "job done" and lose even more of the minimal interest they already have. The Trust could be a real vehicle for pressure on the owners. At the moment they look only to have a voice because Mr Brent has given them one. Without a seat of power they will only be as important as Brent allows them to be. Though, I would say that once given a voice by Brent it would be a silly move for him to rescind that position. Brent has said that he will be looking for extra funding. Is there a surprise fairy godmother with Trust connections waiting in the wings?

It has all gone quiet on pasoti The Trust forum (what a surprise). It may be that discussions are going on behind the scenes. It may be that they have seen the spectacular lack of interest from the fans by the paucity of responses on there. Time will tell.

PS I've now just discovered the post on another thread on here with the report from Chris. Clearly discussions were going on behind the scenes. I haven't had time to digest it properly but certainly all the right noises so far. Impressed!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The People's President   The People's President - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 10:16 pm

Womble wrote:
Freathy wrote:
125+1 wrote:
Rickler wrote:
Persactly....

His job as I see it is to talk to the fans. Which he'll largely be doing via PASOTI by the sounds of things. This is fine with me as I am a PASOTI user. However to the majority of people that don't, it'll be Chris Who? As I said elsewhere things could get awkward if results don't improve as the public have a habit of shooting the messenger.
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: The People's President   The People's President - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 10:40 pm

I don't have a big issue that its not posted on ATD as itcan be copied to here.

But the message does need to reach the non-internet fans- whether this could be done through the Herald (a la Ryles on the road) or in the programme?
As Mock posted in another thread, his brother, who doesn't use the internet doesn't know who Chris Webb is and speaking to argyle supporting mates who are exiled (and don't use pasoti), they don't know who he is either.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The People's President   The People's President - Page 2 EmptyTue Nov 15, 2011 10:51 pm

Chemical Ali wrote:
I don't have a big issue that its not posted on ATD as itcan be copied to here.

But the message does need to reach the non-internet fans- whether this could be done through the Herald (a la Ryles on the road) or in the programme?
As Mock posted in another thread, his brother, who doesn't use the internet doesn't know who Chris Webb is and speaking to argyle supporting mates who are exiled (and don't use pasoti), they don't know who he is either.

The Herald is an excellant shout. It does seem that non-internet users are ignored by the people in charge, as it seems to much bother. Ditch Ryles and get webb in. Fans need to know what the club heirachy is doing, and this will give everyone a view, and hopefully an opportunity to offer suggestions and constructive critisism.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: The People's President   The People's President - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 8:22 am

I remain unconvinced about this set up. I would have thought that the events of the last few years should have resulted in the rank and file fully supporting a vibrant and truly democratic Trust. We might well need such an organisation again in the future, already set up.
Chris Webb could have been rewarded , if that's how people see it, by becoming President of the Trust [no work involved] and the role to connect with the club Chairman/owner etc.
I can't see the Trust surviving now and if it does it will have no real function or energy.
Back to top Go down
X Isle

X Isle

PostSubject: Re: The People's President   The People's President - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 10:25 am

Tringreen wrote:
I remain unconvinced about this set up. I would have thought that the events of the last few years should have resulted in the rank and file fully supporting a vibrant and truly democratic Trust. We might well need such an organisation again in the future, already set up.
Chris Webb could have been rewarded , if that's how people see it, by becoming President of the Trust [no work involved] and the role to connect with the club Chairman/owner etc.
I can't see the Trust surviving now and if it does it will have no real function or energy.

It all depends on the elections really and how distinct those in post wish to place the Trust from the club Tring.

The noises presently are worrying i'll admit - being told you're a tosser seemingly because you had the audacity to be a vocal advocate for James Brent throughout the process but couldn't drop work and family commitments to make a 450 mile round trips for CP meetings and took a moral stance on giving money solely to Peter Ridsdale is a bit much. I mean, i'm a tosser for many reasons but that's not one of them Laughing.

When that comes from Trust people towards someone who has been James Brent through and through, what hope is there for reaching out and making the genuine bystander fans feel welcome and included?. What possible hope can there be of convincing anyone keen to be a part of fan power that the Trust is independent of the club, or independent of the uberfan cabal that presently deigns to speak for everyone while holding them in utter contempt.

The Trust will be lost if it goes down the cosy up route or the 'some more equal than others' route. If it comes out and nails it's colours firmly to a mast that says we're independent, i'll stay in. There's nothing wrong with recognising that the club starts up again enjoying broad and enthusiastic fan support AT THIS TIME, because I reckon it does. However it needs to be stated that the Trust is there primarily as a watchdog, to ensure mistakes of the past don't creep in and fans are treated as valued customers and not taken for granted. Anything less is toothless and pointless.

I've got an idea which personalities will go which way, so i'd like Wozzer to lead the Trust.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The People's President   The People's President - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 16, 2011 10:29 am

X Isle wrote:
Tringreen wrote:

It all depends on the elections really and how distinct those in post wish to place the Trust from the club Tring.

The noises presently are worrying i'll admit - being told you're a tosser seemingly because you had the audacity to be a vocal advocate for James Brent throughout the process but couldn't drop work and family commitments to make a 450 mile round trips for CP meetings and took a moral stance on giving money solely to Peter Ridsdale is a bit much. I mean, i'm a tosser for many reasons but that's not one of them Laughing.

When that comes from Trust people towards someone who has been James Brent through and through, what hope is there for reaching out and making the genuine bystander fans feel welcome and included?. What possible hope can there be of convincing anyone keen to be a part of fan power that the Trust is independent of the club, or independent of the uberfan cabal that presently deigns to speak for everyone while holding them in utter contempt.

The Trust will be lost if it goes down the cosy up route or the 'some more equal than others' route. If it comes out and nails it's colours firmly to a mast that says we're independent, i'll stay in. There's nothing wrong with recognising that the club starts up again enjoying broad and enthusiastic fan support AT THIS TIME, because I reckon it does. However it needs to be stated that the Trust is there primarily as a watchdog, to ensure mistakes of the past don't creep in and fans are treated as valued customers and not taken for granted. Anything less is toothless and pointless.

I've got an idea which personalities will go which way, so i'd like Wozzer to lead the Trust.

I agree.......but I fear this point is totally lost on some people.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The People's President   The People's President - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The People's President
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2