Greenskin
Tringreen
125+1
8 posters
AuthorMessage
125+1

125+1

Glory of the FA Cup Empty
PostSubject: Glory of the FA Cup   Glory of the FA Cup EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 6:49 pm

Ive read the feelings on the other thread, but i left the game today with a sense of satisfaction. WHY?

Because today i paid to watch a classic FA Cup tie, David vs Goliath, and the stourbridge fans turned out in force, singing at the top of their voices enjoying their moment. Argyle were dissapointing at times but that didnt dispel from the exciting second half we had at home park. 5 goals 2 sending off's a penalty in the last five minutes and then a fantastic equaliser from Bashera at the death. I paid £10 today and it was a tenner well spent. All you moaners have to remember this is the FA Cup, the greatest domestic cup competion in the world, and upsets happen to bigger clubs than Plymouth. People say the romance of the FA Cup has gone, after seeing todays match i beg to differ.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Glory of the FA Cup   Glory of the FA Cup EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 6:51 pm

125+1 wrote:
Ive read the feelings on the other thread, but i left the game today with a sense of satisfaction. WHY?

Because today i paid to watch a classic FA Cup tie, David vs Goliath, and the stourbridge fans turned out in force, singing at the top of their voices enjoying their moment. Argyle were dissapointing at times but that didnt dispel from the exciting second half we had at home park. 5 goals 2 sending off's a penalty in the last five minutes and then a fantastic equaliser from Bashera at the death. I paid £10 today and it was a tenner well spent. All you moaners have to remember this is the FA Cup, the greatest domestic cup competion in the world, and upsets happen to bigger clubs than Plymouth. People say the romance of the FA Cup has gone, after seeing todays match i beg to differ.

Oh dear...................how far we have fallen. Mediocrity is even too high.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Glory of the FA Cup   Glory of the FA Cup EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 6:54 pm

Yes ..drawing against a sunday pub team at home when we should have lost, getting 2 men sent off in the process,the utter chaos that represents our defence..and last but not least the "head in the sand" mentality from our manager and our leaders at boardroom and fan level.
But i agree ...great cup tie
Ho Ho Ho
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Glory of the FA Cup   Glory of the FA Cup EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:02 pm

125+1 wrote:

Today should of been a platform to build upon for better days ahead my friend.
Do not let the romance of said competition cloud your judgement.. Argyle were pish.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Glory of the FA Cup   Glory of the FA Cup EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:05 pm

Arch Stanton wrote:
125+1 wrote:

Do not let the romance of said competition cloud your judgement.. Argyle were pish.

Never mind ..always the Aviva fest when we play Northampton
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Glory of the FA Cup   Glory of the FA Cup EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:10 pm

punchdrunk wrote:
Arch Stanton wrote:
125+1 wrote:

Never mind ..always the Aviva fest when we play Northampton

Cobblers !
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Glory of the FA Cup   Glory of the FA Cup EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 7:50 pm

125+1 wrote:

I know what you're saying,as a neutral it would have been an incident packed game to watch,if not a very good one football wise.Afraid i can't really share your opinion as an Argyle fan though,bigger pictureish though your viewpoint is.The game was a rather disturbing one IMHO,in that it starkly exposed Argyle's weaknesses to an almost unbelievable degree,and i've seen Argyle struggle against non league opposition many times in the past.This was a team 3 leagues below Argyle in the pyramid and not an especially star performer even at that modest level.Still managed to score 3 against us though and could have had more.Scary.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Glory of the FA Cup   Glory of the FA Cup EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 9:21 pm

The sad thing is, i'd have been more surprised if we'd beaten them 2-0. I'd have probably enjoyed the game had i gone, it sounds like ninety minutes of mayhem, but it doesn't affect the bigger picture, which is that we need a minimum of 5 players of quality to have a chance of staying up in this league.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/

PostSubject: Re: Glory of the FA Cup   Glory of the FA Cup EmptySat Nov 12, 2011 10:31 pm

The problem goes deeper.

We're shit, a bunch of untried youngsters supplemented by other clubs untried youngsters. Off the pitch we're completely rudderless, Fletcher is clearly out of his depth, he doesn't know what he's doing. What seems to have been forgotten is that once a player jumps over the fence, he is no longer a player as such he's on the other side, so we don't have a captain.
The club is bottom of the league and has just failed to beat a bunch of part timers and we're supposed to be delighted that our club, at one stage 4th in the nations second tier has matched the might of Stourbridge who are mid table in the league above Bideford.

I'm fearful of the clubs direction.
cherry

Last edited by peter_dout on Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Glory of the FA Cup   Glory of the FA Cup EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 8:36 am

peter_dout wrote:
The problem goes deeper.

We're shit, a bunch of untried youngsters supplemented by other clubs untried youngsters. Off the pitch we're completely rudderless, Fletcher is clearly out of his depth, he doesn't know what he's doing. What seems to have been forgotten is that once a player jumps over the fence, he is no longer a player as such he's on the other side, so we don't have a captain. The new owner really doesn't want to be tipping money into the club, he just wants the car park. He's saved the club, so shut up you 'pathetic' ungrateful peasants.
The club is bottom of the league and has just failed to beat a bunch of part timers and we're supposed to be delighted that our club, at one stage 4th in the nations second tier has matched the might of Stourbridge who are mid table in the league above Bideford.

I'm fearful of the clubs direction.
cherry

As Peggy remarked...............'Thinking is for educated wankers* innit !'

We're Argyle and we'll never [ die x] LEARN !

Last edited by Tringreen on Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Glory of the FA Cup   Glory of the FA Cup EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 9:36 am

There's so much wrong with the playing side the situation is now hopeless. Add to that a totally clueless manager. Brent's wallet is firmly shut and will remain that way. I mean why should he open it. As far as he's concerned the Aviva masses are worshipping him just for being here and he therefore feels under no obligation to keep us up.

It's *****wallet all over again
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Glory of the FA Cup   Glory of the FA Cup EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 9:54 am

Even more evidence of the need to rid ourselves of Jonah Fletcher.
Then all we have to do is find a new team.

That'll be £200 please, Mr Brent.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Glory of the FA Cup   Glory of the FA Cup EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 10:55 am

Just listened to Fletcher post match. Hesitant and unconvincing y'know............... bit like Argyle.
Back to top Go down
125+1

125+1

PostSubject: Re: Glory of the FA Cup   Glory of the FA Cup EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 12:30 pm

Mock Cuncher wrote:
The sad thing is, i'd have been more surprised if we'd beaten them 2-0. I'd have probably enjoyed the game had i gone, it sounds like ninety minutes of mayhem, but it doesn't affect the bigger picture, which is that we need a minimum of 5 players of quality to have a chance of staying up in this league.

I agree with you there. We are 5-6 decent players away from safety. My post is supposed to be about the joys of the fa cup, which for me is the greatest cup competition ever. Argyle in the championship might have still struggled, as that what happens in these competitions. Thats why there is a term called cup upsets, that is used year in year out. Was yesterdays result any worse than Exeter City then of the conferance drawing at Old Trafford against the mighty Man U, NO it was not. We all know the team is poor, you can post it many times on every thread as most people on here do. But lets not take anything away from the exciting cup match yesterday, even as an Argyle fan i went through all the emotions and enjoyed it. Im not accepting mediocraty im just accepting that Argyle is broken, and will take many years to fix. Im more than happy to support a L2 team, some on here really need to change who they support, if they are expecting prem league football, it aint gonna happen. As for slagging off Brent, jesus, give the bloke a chance, he's just arrived ffs and already people are moaning. There is work going on to bring in players, but attracting players to bottom of the pile in L2 isnt going to be easy. They are going for bigger names not non league so convincing players to come is a big task. Darren Purse could be on his way, they tried for Freddy eastwood, James Beatie has been spoken to. 2 deals have been done so Mr President has said, and there are more being talked to.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Glory of the FA Cup   Glory of the FA Cup EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 1:30 pm

125+1 wrote:
Mock Cuncher wrote:

I agree with you there. We are 5-6 decent players away from safety. My post is supposed to be about the joys of the fa cup, which for me is the greatest cup competition ever. Argyle in the championship might have still struggled, as that what happens in these competitions. Thats why there is a term called cup upsets, that is used year in year out. Was yesterdays result any worse than Exeter City then of the conferance drawing at Old Trafford against the mighty Man U, NO it was not. We all know the team is poor, you can post it many times on every thread as most people on here do. But lets not take anything away from the exciting cup match yesterday, even as an Argyle fan i went through all the emotions and enjoyed it. Im not accepting mediocraty im just accepting that Argyle is broken, and will take many years to fix. Im more than happy to support a L2 team, some on here really need to change who they support, if they are expecting prem league football, it aint gonna happen. As for slagging off Brent, jesus, give the bloke a chance, he's just arrived ffs and already people are moaning. There is work going on to bring in players, but attracting players to bottom of the pile in L2 isnt going to be easy. They are going for bigger names not non league so convincing players to come is a big task. Darren Purse could be on his way, they tried for Freddy eastwood, James Beatie has been spoken to. 2 deals have been done so Mr President has said, and there are more being talked to.

You keep saying it the way you see it my friend.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Glory of the FA Cup   Glory of the FA Cup EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 1:51 pm

I know where 125 is coming from on this, I used to love the cup matches and the all day entertainment on ITV and BBC for the final. The reality is that the cup has been so belittled these days that it's hardly worth having, it's a massive shame for football if you ask me.

Halifax v Charlton Cracking match, large excited crowd and cracking weather, up nofff!
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Glory of the FA Cup   Glory of the FA Cup EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 2:44 pm

Home to Stevenage (if we get through). Can't ask for much more than that!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Glory of the FA Cup   Glory of the FA Cup EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 3:10 pm

125+1 wrote:
Thats why there is a term called cup upsets, that is used year in year out.

Q: And what constitutes a League upset year in, year out ?

A: Argyle winning.

And you're a very naughty boy 125, slipping in that "go support a premiership team" ... very naughty jocolor

The FA Cup has been devalued beyond help ever since the Manchester United disgrace and the attitude of ALL Premiership teams... the romance has gone for me .. that's a shame. No amount of marketing speak "it's the biggest cup competition in the world" will change that now.

Last edited by penzancepirate on Sun Nov 13, 2011 3:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Glory of the FA Cup   Glory of the FA Cup EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 3:15 pm

Czarcasm wrote:

If (and im 99 per cent sure we wont) we beat Stourbridge in the replay then Stevenage will tear us a new one, they beat Sheff Utd 2-1 the other week.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Glory of the FA Cup   Glory of the FA Cup EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 3:17 pm

Czarcasm wrote:

Absolutely Czar.. An opportunity to generate a bit more wonga at Brent Towers and an outside chance of being in the velvet bag with the big boys.

What todays draw does demonstrate however is how far as a club we have fallen, when you consider Argyle beating Stevenage will be regarded by everyone except for those in the enclosed confines of the fanfest tent as an FA Cup shock, the same as Luton beating Northampton was yesterday it really is scandalous.

Back to top Go down
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

PostSubject: Re: Glory of the FA Cup   Glory of the FA Cup EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 5:34 pm

Personally, I think it's scandalous that El Presidente wasn't asked to do the FA Cup draw. What the hell are the FA thinking? Don't they know who he is? Time for IJN to have a word.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Glory of the FA Cup   Glory of the FA Cup EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 5:59 pm

PlymptonPilgrim wrote:
Personally, I think it's scandalous that El Presidente wasn't asked to do the FA Cup draw. What the hell are the FA thinking? Don't they know who he is? Time for IJN to have a word.

Imagine that lol
He walks over to the rollerball with a dunces hat and a placard around his neck saying "i backed stapes"
Priceless
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Glory of the FA Cup   Glory of the FA Cup EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 6:13 pm

punchdrunk wrote:
PlymptonPilgrim wrote:

Imagine that lol
He walks over to the rollerball with a dunces hat and a placard around his neck saying "i backed stapes"
Priceless

20 quid from me if he does it walking around the pitch 5 minutes before kick off!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Glory of the FA Cup   Glory of the FA Cup EmptySun Nov 13, 2011 6:26 pm

And 20 quid from me as well toward St John Ambulance if he bathes naked in a bath of cold baked beans in front of the Business Lounge..... I'll supply the hat.

C'mon El Presidente .... we all need free access to healthcare when attending Home Park.
Back to top Go down
Sandford_Grecian

Sandford_Grecian

Location : Looking into the eyes of the beholder, and all I can see are £££££ signs :-)

PostSubject: Re: Glory of the FA Cup   Glory of the FA Cup EmptyMon Nov 14, 2011 12:29 pm

I'm still trying to figure out which one of you were David lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/sandford_merlin
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Glory of the FA Cup   Glory of the FA Cup Empty

Back to top Go down

Glory of the FA Cup
Page 1 of 1