Warny
Damon.Lenszner
VillageGreen
Dougie
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Multiplex at Home park - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Multiplex at Home park   Multiplex at Home park - Page 2 EmptyTue May 07, 2013 9:09 pm

The arts cinema also has a cinema inside it (quite unsurprisingly).

Plymouth getting an imax is quite exciting but there aren't many films released each year that benefit from it; last year, the only two major releases that used imax technology to benefit the films were The Hobbit and Judge Dredd and Dredd bombed at the cinema. I'm not sure how it fits in with sport though.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Multiplex at Home park   Multiplex at Home park - Page 2 EmptyTue May 07, 2013 9:38 pm

While we're talking about Odeon and their national UK business model, I would just like to point out that for some years throughout the last ludicrous property bubble that the likes of Citigroup contributed to throughout the western world whilst racking up 50billion dollars of debt, WHSmith actually made more profit on their property portfolio than they did on their core retailing. Wild West economics more suited to Putin's Russia. I wonder what Odeon have their eyes on in coming to Central Park, bums on seats or property appreciation ?
Back to top Go down
Damon.Lenszner

Damon.Lenszner

PostSubject: Re: Multiplex at Home park   Multiplex at Home park - Page 2 EmptyTue May 07, 2013 10:05 pm

And when it closes down a Snooker Hall perhaps? - Well it's sport isn't it?
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: Multiplex at Home park   Multiplex at Home park - Page 2 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 1:35 am

GOB wrote:
Odeon Cinema - £9.95

Argyle home match - £20.00

Indeed, but thats 4th div football IF argyle go up a league it would be £23 & 2nd tier could be as much as £27minimum because the club cant and wont be able to capitalise on 'big games' therefore it will seek addditional costs through its limited attendances.
The club could be a single mans hobby due to cost.
Back to top Go down
Peggy

Peggy

PostSubject: Re: Multiplex at Home park   Multiplex at Home park - Page 2 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 8:39 pm

Pokesdown wrote:
I just about get the ice rink idea for Central Park. Whilst I don't like it impacting the stand it is a sporting activity. A feckin cinema though...? When did sitting on your arse in the dark eating sugary shite qualify as a healthy sporting activity? In that case bashing one off is a complete workout.

The cinema, when there is a perfectly good one in the town centre is a no-no for me.

This, with knobs on. If Plymouth really needs another cinema (which I doubt - it'll only lead to the closure of one of the other commercial ones), then why doesn't some enterprising businessman buy the old Odeon in Union Street and restore it? Or, for that matter, the State in St Budeaux or (my favourite) the old Forum? (I'd far rather have a cinema up the road than a bingo hall.)

I also think this could be the deal breaker with the Plymouth public. I was chatting to a work colleague today: not an Argyle supporter but a bit surprised about the capacity of the new stand, no problem with the ice rink ... but he was incandescent about the cinema and the road, and has gone off home to look at the plans and, in his words, do something about it. Given some of the people he knows, that could be interesting Cool
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Multiplex at Home park   Multiplex at Home park - Page 2 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 8:52 pm

Peggy * wrote:
Pokesdown wrote:
I just about get the ice rink idea for Central Park. Whilst I don't like it impacting the stand it is a sporting activity. A feckin cinema though...? When did sitting on your arse in the dark eating sugary shite qualify as a healthy sporting activity? In that case bashing one off is a complete workout.

The cinema, when there is a perfectly good one in the town centre is a no-no for me.

This, with knobs on. If Plymouth really needs another cinema (which I doubt - it'll only lead to the closure of one of the other commercial ones), then why doesn't some enterprising businessman buy the old Odeon in Union Street and restore it? Or, for that matter, the State in St Budeaux or (my favourite) the old Forum? (I'd far rather have a cinema up the road than a bingo hall.)

I also think this could be the deal breaker with the Plymouth public. I was chatting to a work colleague today: not an Argyle supporter but a bit surprised about the capacity of the new stand, no problem with the ice rink ... but he was incandescent about the cinema and the road, and has gone off home to look at the plans and, in his words, do something about it. Given some of the people he knows, that could be interesting Cool

We need more like him!!
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Multiplex at Home park   Multiplex at Home park - Page 2 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 8:53 pm

[quote="Peggy *"]
Pokesdown wrote:

I also think this could be the deal breaker with the Plymouth public. I was chatting to a work colleague today: not an Argyle supporter but a bit surprised about the capacity of the new stand, no problem with the ice rink ... but he was incandescent about the cinema and the road, and has gone off home to look at the plans and, in his words, do something about it. Given some of the people he knows, that could be interesting Cool [/quote

Keep spreading the word Peggy.

keep the road out of the Park and his plan will fail.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Multiplex at Home park   Multiplex at Home park - Page 2 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 8:58 pm

i refuse to believe that the council would grant planning permission for the complex given the road is simply a neon sign for accidents and how can it not be on match days its simply isnt going to be big enough for two way traffic and fans on match days.

The cinema isnt needed there central park is about sport and leisure not sitting on your arse stuffing your face. If the council grant planning permission for it it makes a complete mockery of the life centre and everything its stands for.
Back to top Go down
greensleeves

PostSubject: Re: Multiplex at Home park   Multiplex at Home park - Page 2 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 9:34 pm

Peggy * wrote:
Pokesdown wrote:

Peggy...James Brent will own the freehold of the cinema at HHP whereas he wouldn't own the freehold of a plymouth city centre site which is a no no for property developers.The vue has a monopoly of the multiplex cinemas in Plymouth so I'm quite happy as a cinema goer, for a bit of Odeon competition...Incidentally most of plymouth city centre is owned by private landlords,who then lease the sites out,or not ,as the influx of letting boards,far to numerous to count,shows.
Back to top Go down
Peggy

Peggy

PostSubject: Re: Multiplex at Home park   Multiplex at Home park - Page 2 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 9:40 pm

greensleeves wrote:
Peggy * wrote:
Pokesdown wrote:

Peggy...James Brent will own the freehold of the cinema at HHP whereas he wouldn't own the freehold of a plymouth city centre site which is a no no for property developers.The vue has a monopoly of the multiplex cinemas in Plymouth so I'm quite happy as a cinema goer, for a bit of Odeon competition...Incidentally most of plymouth city centre is owned by private landlords,who then lease the sites out,or not ,as the influx of letting boards,far to numerous to count,shows.

Point taken - but the issue is that the cinema's going into a park.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Multiplex at Home park   Multiplex at Home park - Page 2 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 9:41 pm

There's no way a cinema will be permitted, it's completely against the Central Park Area Action Plan and my guess is that it's just another diversion attempt.
Back to top Go down
greensleeves

PostSubject: Re: Multiplex at Home park   Multiplex at Home park - Page 2 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 9:49 pm

Peggy * wrote:
greensleeves wrote:
Peggy * wrote:
Pokesdown wrote:

Peggy...Yes...not on,not on at all.I agree completely.. but JB has sway.
Back to top Go down
Peggy

Peggy

PostSubject: Re: Multiplex at Home park   Multiplex at Home park - Page 2 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 9:52 pm

Gob: There's the rub. The AAP says Cottage Field is up for development, but apparently that's no longer the case. Who knows what else has changed?

Sleeves: spot on, or so it would seem. He who has the money wields the power in Plymouth nowadays. (And everywhere else.)
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Multiplex at Home park   Multiplex at Home park - Page 2 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 9:56 pm

Peggy * wrote:
greensleeves wrote:
Peggy * wrote:
Pokesdown wrote:

I may be wrong but my info was he was given the freehold of the Pavilion and surrounding site by PCC to open up the £80? To develop the area. He is now messing up the plan for Millbay to City Centre linkup by putting a road down bath street instead of the plan boulevard
Back to top Go down
Damon.Lenszner

Damon.Lenszner

PostSubject: Re: Multiplex at Home park   Multiplex at Home park - Page 2 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 9:59 pm

A Hotel has to have a road!
Back to top Go down
Peggy

Peggy

PostSubject: Re: Multiplex at Home park   Multiplex at Home park - Page 2 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 10:04 pm

Plymouth 2013. A park is the place for a cinema. A boulevard's a back lane. The city centre's all but closed, but it'll all be sorted if we win City of Culture. And the English Channel's an ocean.

(I was going to go into a maHUsive political rant here, but it's past my bedtime. Neoliberal bullshit probably sums it all up.)
Back to top Go down
greensleeves

PostSubject: Re: Multiplex at Home park   Multiplex at Home park - Page 2 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 10:05 pm

Peggy.As an Old Plymouthian member, that has always been the case....money has always got you what you want in Plymouth,just look at the supermarkets...but I digress...Interesting point you raise about Cottage Field.When the Life Centre development was originally announced Cottage Field was part of the plans and fully approved by the PCC.It was only when the Life Centre development was downgraded through lack of finance,that it was not built on,although planning permission,still remained.Yet all of a sudden its a no go area....need to preserve the lungs of central park.Change of heart fron Tudor?Somethings going on.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Multiplex at Home park   Multiplex at Home park - Page 2 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 10:07 pm

Peggy * wrote:
Plymouth 2013. A park is the place for a cinema. A boulevard's a back lane. The city centre's all but closed, but it'll all be sorted if we win City of Culture. And the English Channel's an ocean.

(I was going to go into a maHUsive political rant here, but it's past my bedtime. Neoliberal bullshit probably sums it all up.)

Peggs, calm down. Please, have a cup of Horlicks, put your fluffy socks on and read chapter 6 of 50 Shades Of Grey whilst snugged up in bed. Wink
Back to top Go down
greensleeves

PostSubject: Re: Multiplex at Home park   Multiplex at Home park - Page 2 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 10:11 pm

Tgwu wrote:
Peggy * wrote:
greensleeves wrote:
Peggy * wrote:
Pokesdown wrote:

I may be wrong but my info was he was given the freehold of the Pavilion and surrounding site by PCC to open up the £80? To develop the area. He is now messing up the plan for Millbay to City Centre linkup by putting a road down bath street instead of the plan boulevard
The vision was for the Barcelona guy, a grand boulevard from Plymouth City Centre to Millbay Docks,tree lined,with pedestrian walkways,fountains,seating,and cafes en route not the back street garages and such like of Bath Street.
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Multiplex at Home park   Multiplex at Home park - Page 2 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 10:13 pm

Will Brent get his way

This will also see work begin to lay out and open the first section of a planned new boulevard to link Plymouth city centre with the waterfront.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] - ixzz2SjmTjQIZ

Another developer, James Brent, has said he would deliver a significant part of the boulevard when he redevelops the Pavilions. But his masterplan for the area shows a road curving to the east of the Pavilions instead of Mr Mackay's proposed boulevard following the line of Bath Street.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Multiplex at Home park   Multiplex at Home park - Page 2 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 10:45 pm

Another point Mr Brent have not told us, is the under ground cap-park is going to be pay and display
Back to top Go down
Dingle

PostSubject: Re: Multiplex at Home park   Multiplex at Home park - Page 2 EmptyWed May 08, 2013 10:53 pm

So if that's true, how long will it take cinema goers and skaters to realise that they can park in the existing Life Centre car park for free? Then the people using the Life Centre for sport will lose out and find they have to pay to park. I'm lucky enough to live in Peverell (complete with its sea view), and am quite capable of walking to use the facilities, but others wouldn't be so fortunate.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Multiplex at Home park   Multiplex at Home park - Page 2 EmptyThu May 09, 2013 7:38 am

That's a good question TGWU, that one slipped under my radar., and a good point Dingle. Across the country, it has always been paramount that municipal parks and their facilities have free parking for obvious social advantages... parks are to be free to access, and that includes those who live at Southway as well as us inner city pedestrians. The last bunch of wannabe profiteers, the NWO, tried to drive a coach and horses through this when they wanted to introduce charging for access to the main car park. These property developers just don't get and rarely respect just what public parks are all about. I can hear the request already from the private managers of the Life Centre for car parking charges. Just look at the ludicrous parking charges up at the Hospital.

These people will creep anywhere if you let them.
The city will regret letting these private interests into the park.
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Multiplex at Home park   Multiplex at Home park - Page 2 EmptyThu May 09, 2013 7:51 am

worried of penzance wrote:
That's a good question TGWU, that one slipped under my radar., and a good point Dingle. Across the country, it has always been paramount that municipal parks and their facilities have free parking for obvious social advantages... parks are to be free to access, and that includes those who live at Southway as well as us inner city pedestrians. The last bunch of wannabe profiteers, the NWO, tried to drive a coach and horses through this when they wanted to introduce charging for access to the main car park. These property developers just don't get and rarely respect just what public parks are all about. I can hear the request already from the private managers of the Life Centre for car parking charges. Just look at the ludicrous parking charges up at the Hospital.

These people will creep anywhere if you let them.
The city will regret letting these private interests into the park.

I been right about the Development so far, now my information is pay and display and the car park is spread under the stand
Back to top Go down
Dingle

PostSubject: Re: Multiplex at Home park   Multiplex at Home park - Page 2 EmptyThu May 09, 2013 8:17 am

There is an on-going problem at the Life Centre of non-disabled people parking in the disabled bays. Apparently as it's a park, no fines can be imposed, but offending cars - those without disabled cards - are having Polite Notices put on them. Is HHP still part of the park now that it's privately owned?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Multiplex at Home park   Multiplex at Home park - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Multiplex at Home park
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next