Southborne
Czarcasm
GreenWhiteBlack
Ken Adams
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

Footy lost it's sparkle? Empty
PostSubject: Footy lost it's sparkle?   Footy lost it's sparkle? EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 10:35 pm

I thought I was seeing this but no it's true, Blackburn had 8600 for their FA cup quater final with Millwall tonight at Ewood. Football has lost it big time!
Back to top Go down
Ken Adams

PostSubject: Re: Footy lost it's sparkle?   Footy lost it's sparkle? EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 10:41 pm

Hardly a glamour tie is it...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Footy lost it's sparkle?   Footy lost it's sparkle? EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 10:45 pm

Helluva chance to get to the final with Wigan waiting though.
Back to top Go down
GreenWhiteBlack

GreenWhiteBlack

PostSubject: Re: Footy lost it's sparkle?   Footy lost it's sparkle? EmptyWed Mar 13, 2013 11:18 pm

I've fallen out of love with football if im being honest.

High ticket prices, over policed matches, jobsworth stewards, lack of atmosphere etc

German footbal is where its at, we should do anything we can to replicate what theyve got going on on & off the pitch over there.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Footy lost it's sparkle?   Footy lost it's sparkle? EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 7:36 am

Jaytex2012 wrote:
I thought I was seeing this but no it's true, Blackburn had 8600 for their FA cup quater final with Millwall tonight at Ewood. Football has lost it big time!

8,000 was pretty much always Blackburns core support before Jack Walkers £££'s got them the Prem dream. Didn't they go one way, and we went the other after they beat us at HP on the last day of the season 20 odd years ago? scratch
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Footy lost it's sparkle?   Footy lost it's sparkle? EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 7:54 am

That was the match that Speedie got a hat-trick and ran over to the Lyndhurst and calmy held both arms aloft. He would have been ripped from limb to limb if the fences weren't there.

Football has lost its sparkle or is that just us being old gits. I was surprised at the attendance for sure.

One of the reasons I believe is the lack of mobility between the leagues and the lowering of most teams loftiest ambitions. For anyone outside the top 6-7 teams you are effectively playing each season to get 40 points and maybe a run in the cup as long as you don't draw any of the top 6-7.

The first game for Stoke City this season was live on sky at 12.45pm away to Chelsea. Stoke took less than 500 fans. Why?£50 a ticket for a game that's on the telly and a departure time of before 7am for a fixture at which the aggregate score in the past three seasons was 11-1. What's the point...?

When you don't have competitiveness what's the point of sport?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Footy lost it's sparkle?   Footy lost it's sparkle? EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 8:08 am

Good points from all there and maybe Blackburn have come down from that Walker artificial ceiling that he created. Remember the game up there when we lost 3-1 the season we both went up, was impressed by the noise created by that home end, I think we went ahead and they just wacked us and powered to 3 points? Brain hurts now so perhaps it was all a dream. Whatever you say though it was a quater final and 8600 is a disgrace!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Footy lost it's sparkle?   Footy lost it's sparkle? EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 8:31 am

8600 for an FA Cup quarter-final is shit and negates the home advantage Blackburn had. It should've been double that.

I know what pokesdown means as well. I have a mate who supports Charlton and years ago I asked him was he happy being mid table in the premier league every season under Curbishley and he said he preferred being nearer the bottom or in the championship.

Swansea fans will be loving it at the moment. First time in the premier league, league cup winners with European football next season, but I doubt that will happen again for them. They probably state publicly they don't want Cardiff promoted but inside it's giving them two more cup finals every season if Cardiff do go up.

Villa probably yearn for Birmingham derbies again now they're a spent force, tragedy with their potential, but Birmingham won't be going up anytime soon. They're paying Zigic £55k a week right now and in his contract it goes up to £65k next season and they're struggling in the CCC.

Clubs have to sort out these crazy contracts and have relegation clauses in them before more administrations happen.
Back to top Go down
Southborne

PostSubject: Re: Footy lost it's sparkle?   Footy lost it's sparkle? EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 8:36 am

High ticket prices, The Premier league being over exposed so all the kids see on TV is the "Bug Guys". Just two reasons for a shit attendance last night. But before Jack Walker came in with his millions 8000+ fans were the norm and they bounced between what is now L1 and the Championship.

Football outside the Premier League is just not a great draw for people, Plus with the lack of money around, Paying £20-£30+ for a ticket is not seen as good value, Imagine if you and you had kids who wanted to go? Possibly £100+ for a game, Wish i could afford to waste money like that.

The people in football tell us that is it just the same as going to a theme park or theatre and represents the same sort of value, Well that's crap, You go to a theatre or theme park and you know you will enjoy yourself and have a great time, In football in depends on the result and performance, If both are crap its a wasted day and you go home thinking what a waste of money.

Germany have got it right, A good balance and crowds are up. A friend of mine went to Holland and saw Ajax play at the weekend and paid £18 for a cracking good ticket, he said great time, atmosphere brilliant and we have to pay £20+ for L2 shit, Says it all really
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Footy lost it's sparkle?   Footy lost it's sparkle? EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 8:46 am

I don't believe football can continue for much longer without some serious casualty's due to grossly inflated wages along with falling crowds.

Until then players wages will continue to rise and therefore ticket prices go up and as a result down go the gates.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Footy lost it's sparkle?   Footy lost it's sparkle? EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 9:19 am

I fell out of love with football a long time ago. Greed, Sky TV and red-tape have all but finished the game off imho in this country.

The last time I was completely addicted to the game was when.......

Buster Philips was legging it down the wing.
I could stand on terraces.
90% of all games kicked-off at 15:00 on a Saturday.
You could have a fag whilst watching the game (don't smoke anymore mind you.)
Greedy agents didn't thrash-out rediculous pay structure's for their player.
HP was a rock-solid impenetrable fortress.
Pasties were bleddy ansome at HP.
Independant fans websites where you could say what you want. Thank god for ATD.
No butt-licking wanna be director superfans up the boards arse. (get back on the terraces you complete false wanne be w*nkers, claw back some respect)..Sorry, went off on one then albino

As a fan base we were united.
Cherry Tree Packed, The Brit Packed and singing, The Embassy club....errr, rioting lol!
Oh, did I mention superfans and insidious, serruptitious,, lying conniving devious c*nts with their tounge up Brents arse trying to be something they're not, and never ever will?

As you can see - I don't love footy anymore. Will I ever feel like the above ever again? Not anytime soon I fear.

Come on you greee.....................ahh forget it. I'm off out with my doggy. Much more productive and enjoyable............and free.

PS: Having a good read are we Ponty, PL? eh? lol!

Last edited by Enemy Of The State on Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:24 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Footy lost it's sparkle?   Footy lost it's sparkle? EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 9:22 am

Taken from the Aviva fest
"Football...Football..Football isnt what it used to be"

lol! jocolor
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Footy lost it's sparkle?   Footy lost it's sparkle? EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 9:38 am

Enemy Of The State wrote:
I fell out of love with football a long time ago. Greed, Sky TV and red-tape have all but finished the game off imho in this country.

No butt-licking wanna be director superfans up the boards arse. (get back on the terraces you complete false wanne be w*nkers, claw back some respect)..Sorry, went off on one then albino

Cherry Tree Packed, The Brit Packed and singing, The Embassy club....errr, rioting lol!
Oh, did I mention superfans and insidious, serruptitious,, lying conniving devious c*nts with their tounge up Brents arse trying to be something they're not, and never ever will?

As you can see - I don't love footy anymore. Will I ever feel like the above ever again? Not anytime soon I fear.

Come on you greee.....................ahh forget it. I'm off out with my doggy. Much more productive and enjoyable............and free.

With you all the way bro! cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Footy lost it's sparkle?   Footy lost it's sparkle? EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 9:51 am

[quote="Enemy Of The State"]I fell out of love with football a long time ago. Greed, Sky TV and red-tape have all but finished the game off imho in this country.

[/quotetop post,totally agree with you
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Footy lost it's sparkle?   Footy lost it's sparkle? EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 10:07 am

It's going to be fun.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Footy lost it's sparkle?   Footy lost it's sparkle? EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 10:50 am

Greenjock wrote:
It's going to be fun.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Can't argue with any of that, Jock. I agree - it should be fun...............IF I fall in love with the game again, but as I said in my post, I'm now enjoying going out and doing things that are enjoyable, productive, free and worry free.

Take today; It's a lovely day- I'm just getting my camera equipment ready, packing up some regulation Dartmoor sarnies (corn beef & pickle pig ), grabbing the doggy by the scruff of the neck, throwing him in the car and getting out on Dartmoor for a good 4/5 hours, probably drive out to the north moor.

Scenery, photography, doggy, scrummy food, sun shine and fresh air, and not a f*cking football in sight. rendeer

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Footy lost it's sparkle?   Footy lost it's sparkle? EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 11:35 am

Enemy Of The State wrote:
Can't argue with any of that, Jock. I agree - it should be fun...............IF I fall in love with the game again, but as I said in my post, I'm now enjoying going out and doing things that are enjoyable, productive, free and worry free.

Take today; It's a lovely day- I'm just getting my camera equipment ready, packing up some regulation Dartmoor sarnies (corn beef & pickle pig ), grabbing the doggy by the scruff of the neck, throwing him in the car and getting out on Dartmoor for a good 4/5 hours, probably drive out to the north moor.

Scenery, photography, doggy, scrummy food, sun shine and fresh air, and not a f*cking football in sight. rendeer

I guess you won't be going anywhere near Brentor?
Back to top Go down
Chingers

Chingers

PostSubject: Re: Footy lost it's sparkle?   Footy lost it's sparkle? EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 12:42 pm

Ban players from wearing anything other than black football boots. Normality will quickly resume. Pink boots I ask you.... storms off to find old copies of Shoot magazine in the loft.
Back to top Go down
http://www.haleendafc.co.uk
Flat_Track_Bully

Flat_Track_Bully

PostSubject: Re: Footy lost it's sparkle?   Footy lost it's sparkle? EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 1:22 pm

Southborne wrote:

The people in football tell us that is it just the same as going to a theme park or theatre and represents the same sort of value, Well that's crap, You go to a theatre or theme park and you know you will enjoy yourself and have a great time, In football in depends on the result and performance, If both are crap its a wasted day and you go home thinking what a waste of money.

It's more basic than that. Most people almost never go to the theatre. You only tend to go to a theme park once or twice, not 23 times a season. A better comparison is going to see a film, which costs £7/£8 and lasts approximately the same time as a match. If match tickets were an equivalent price attendances would soon pick up. At some point teams, at least those round the lower leagues are going to have to just stop paying exorbitant wages, and cut prices to get more people through the door.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sciencebrainwaves.com/
david_fisher

PostSubject: Re: Footy lost it's sparkle?   Footy lost it's sparkle? EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 3:04 pm

Flat_Track_Bully wrote:
Southborne wrote:

It's more basic than that. Most people almost never go to the theatre. You only tend to go to a theme park once or twice, not 23 times a season. A better comparison is going to see a film, which costs £7/£8 and lasts approximately the same time as a match. If match tickets were an equivalent price attendances would soon pick up. At some point teams, at least those round the lower leagues are going to have to just stop paying exorbitant wages, and cut prices to get more people through the door.

Trouble is, 6,000 people paying say £15 on average equates to 12,000 at £7/£8.

Argyle know that the 6,000 will turn up no matter how crap the product is.

There's no guarantee that halving the price will double the gate - as shown by the Barnet game - so it's gonna be high prices & small crowds until the product improves dramatically.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Footy lost it's sparkle?   Footy lost it's sparkle? EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 3:10 pm

The FA cup has sadly lost its appeal as a major competition in comparison to the riches of the premier and champions league.20 years ago you could have virtually guaranteed a sell out for that fixture last night-on ITV4 the other morning,they showed an FA cup quarter final from 1979 between Wolves and Shrewsbury-Molyneux absolutely packed to the rafters [Billy Rafferty scored a cracker for Wolves,inducing more misty eyed nostalgia].Awful shame IMHO,people like Wenger and Ferguson have a lot to answer for,swanning off to Brazil instead of playing in the FA cup,fielding weakened teams etc.Old cnuts.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Footy lost it's sparkle?   Footy lost it's sparkle? EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 3:20 pm

If the hardcore of people who revel in their 'loyalty' and travel all over the country to support their club, despite the ever escalating costs, plastic restrictive stadia , vastly overpriced merchandise,overpaid staff showing no return loyalty to the fans , the tv companies dictating fixture dates and kick off times etc etc,. were not so stupid [and in Argyle's case self promoting], the game would not continue to abuse them.

that was a bit of a mouthful, even for me Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Footy lost it's sparkle?   Footy lost it's sparkle? EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 3:39 pm

This thread just about sums it up for me as far as football and Argyle are concerned.
Back to top Go down
david_fisher

PostSubject: Re: Footy lost it's sparkle?   Footy lost it's sparkle? EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 3:48 pm

Argyle lost it's sparkle for me when Holloway left.

Since then it's been 5 years of relentless crap.
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Footy lost it's sparkle?   Footy lost it's sparkle? EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 4:15 pm

GreenWhiteBlack wrote:
I've fallen out of love with football if im being honest.

High ticket prices, over policed matches, jobsworth stewards, lack of atmosphere etc

German footbal is where its at, we should do anything we can to replicate what theyve got going on on & off the pitch over there.

Join the club....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Footy lost it's sparkle?   Footy lost it's sparkle? Empty

Back to top Go down

Footy lost it's sparkle?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next