pepsipete
Tringreen
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Tringreen

Tringreen

While we're waiting............. Empty
PostSubject: While we're waiting.............   While we're waiting............. EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 9:27 am

............... for the joyous news that all is well and the beards have gone [until the next time], my mind has turned to bygone days, when I was young and didn't have any concerns about the club to trouble my mind. The bigger picture wasn't on the agenda. It still isn't if you're young like Cobi, or Aviva Rolling Eyes
I used to stand in the Devonport in the 60's. One of my memories is of Johnny Williams and his fabled shooting. He was probably an early 'Wotton'. Every so often he would net an absolute screamer but more often than not, the ball seemed to end up in the main car park ! Anyone else share that memory ?
Who remembers the old boy who used to stagger round the cinder track with his tea urn on his back ?

Think I might have gone back too far.................. except for Pepsi Laughing

Back to top Go down
pepsipete

pepsipete

PostSubject: Re: While we're waiting.............   While we're waiting............. EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 10:51 am

Quite right I can remember. In my opinion Williams and Mariner are the two most outstanding players I have seen in an Argyle shirt. In the days of maximum wage Williams was not tempted to move elsewhere although there were rumours of offers from Arsenal, Wolves and West Ham. Johnny had the knack of emerging from a ruck of players with the ball at his feet and would then deliver a long sweeping pass, or have a bang himself. His passes made the likes of Mike Trebilcock, John Tedesco and Steve Davey.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: While we're waiting.............   While we're waiting............. EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 2:01 pm

pepsipete wrote:
Quite right I can remember. In my opinion Williams and Mariner are the two most outstanding players I have seen in an Argyle shirt. In the days of maximum wage Williams was not tempted to move elsewhere although there were rumours of offers from Arsenal, Wolves and West Ham. Johnny had the knack of emerging from a ruck of players with the ball at his feet and would then deliver a long sweeping pass, or have a bang himself. His passes made the likes of Mike Trebilcock, John Tedesco and Steve Davey.

Bleddy hell ! don't remember him being that good.

Was he still playing when the milkman emerged ? He made I larf ! Overweight, greaser sideburns but a definite eye for goal. A sort of poor man's Bobby Smith Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sandford_Grecian

Sandford_Grecian

Location : Looking into the eyes of the beholder, and all I can see are £££££ signs :-)

PostSubject: Re: While we're waiting.............   While we're waiting............. EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 2:51 pm

Tringreen wrote:
............... for the joyous news that all is well and the beards have gone [until the next time], my mind has turned to bygone days, when I was young and didn't have any concerns about the club to trouble my mind. The bigger picture wasn't on the agenda. It still isn't if you're young like Cobi, or Aviva Rolling Eyes
I used to stand in the Devonport in the 60's. One of my memories is of Johnny Williams and his fabled shooting. He was probably an early 'Wotton'. Every so often he would net an absolute screamer but more often than not, the ball seemed to end up in the main car park ! Anyone else share that memory ?
Who remembers the old boy who used to stagger round the cinder track with his tea urn on his back ?

Think I might have gone back too far.................. except for Pepsi Laughing

Bugger, the wife was just getting up a head of steam too, whiskers like our cats, she'll be miffed now lol!

Bet she's disappointed there has been no beardfest ! Could have had her picture taken between Where's Webby and Napoleon Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/sandford_merlin
pepsipete

pepsipete

PostSubject: Re: While we're waiting.............   While we're waiting............. EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 3:06 pm

Tringreen wrote:
pepsipete wrote:

Bleddy hell ! don't remember him being that good.

Was he still playing when the milkman emerged ? He made I larf ! Overweight, greaser sideburns but a definite eye for goal. A sort of poor man's Bobby Smith Laughing

Bickle came towards the end of his career, they had a season together and like others he thrived on Williams passes but he was more Norman Pipers Era.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: While we're waiting.............   While we're waiting............. EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 4:13 pm

Talking of shots ending up in the car park, there was only one player that managed to defy laws of physics when it came to missing open goals from dead centre of goal with the keeper behind him and less then 6 feet away from the net. How the fek did John Delve manage to miss time and time again!

I remember one of his shots on goal in just that position, he aimed and he kicked, and the feking ball went vertically up like an Apollo rocket and the wind took it into the Barn Park, no player could have done it, only Delve!

Loved him for his passion though, a dirty bastard and when he combined with Horswill we could have kicked our way through the Leeds defence with ease!
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: While we're waiting.............   While we're waiting............. EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 4:32 pm

GOB wrote:
Talking of shots ending up in the car park, there was only one player that managed to defy laws of physics when it came to missing open goals from dead centre of goal with the keeper behind him and less then 6 feet away from the net. How the fek did John Delve manage to miss time and time again!

I remember one of his shots on goal in just that position, he aimed and he kicked, and the feking ball went vertically up like an Apollo rocket and the wind took it into the Barn Park, no player could have done it, only Delve!

Loved him for his passion though, a dirty bastard and when he combined with Horswill we could have kicked our way through the Leeds defence with ease!

Ha ha ha ! tis true ! Furnell, Hore and Burrows, Saxton Delve and Green, Randall Johnson and McCauley, Mariner n Rafferty's our team !
Back to top Go down
pepsipete

pepsipete

PostSubject: Re: While we're waiting.............   While we're waiting............. EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 4:57 pm

Was responsible for the closure of Plymouth Zoo, he killed all the giraffes.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: While we're waiting.............   While we're waiting............. EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 5:57 pm

Ah,nostalgia! I just about remember Johnny Williams,i played against his lad a few times in the '80's.Certainly remember King Bickle,his injury was one of the main reasons why we were relegated in 1968,a bit like BWP last year.Newman and Piper were my heroes from that era though,two class players,surprised that Norman didn't go on to play in the top division.There were a few good local bheys at that time,Jennings,Trebilcock,Reynolds and Sullivan too.Anyone remember Andy Nelson? Dirtiest barsteward i've ever seen at HP,they don't breed 'em like that these days.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: While we're waiting.............   While we're waiting............. EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 6:00 pm

If it looks like a giraffe ... it's Andy Nelson.... X rated head giraffe. Timar and Jock Morrison were pussycats in comparison.
That team with Johnny Williams, Johnny Newman, Neale, Lord etc was a tough team ... would have given the likes of Wimbledon and Stoke a right seeing to in a cage fight. What on earth has happened to Argyle sides of late ... ever since the 80s FA Cup run, we've had teams of midgets, with only Barry, SEB, Wotton and Timar's team breaking the mould somewhat.
The physical side of football is often forgotten with the billiard table pitches .... there's no future in tippy tapping with no umph ... just look at our latest bunch of children.
Back to top Go down
`rgill

PostSubject: Re: While we're waiting.............   While we're waiting............. EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 6:33 pm

Tringreen wrote:

White coat and green beret,with dewdneys pasties stuffed inside the front of the urn.

Johnny Williams scored one of those specials in front of kop at Liverpool,the same day as the reserves played Spurs in Jimmy Greaves comeback match.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: While we're waiting.............   While we're waiting............. EmptySat Oct 01, 2011 8:18 am

`rgill wrote:
Tringreen wrote:

White coat and green beret,with dewdneys pasties stuffed inside the front of the urn.

Johnny Williams scored one of those specials in front of kop at Liverpool,the same day as the reserves played Spurs in Jimmy Greaves comeback match.

Your contributions are rare............ but gems. Think I was at the reserve game. If my memory serves me correctly, the attendance was about twice as many as at HP last Saturday ?
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: While we're waiting.............   While we're waiting............. EmptySun Oct 02, 2011 9:55 pm

Tringreen wrote:
He was probably an early 'Wotton'.
My brother and I compared Wotton to a V1 Bomber on the computer game 'Red Alert 2'. These things could inflict a lot of damage and fired their rockets at long distance. On the other hand they took bleddy ages to deploy, never turned up in the right place and they weren't particularly resilient despite their menace and had the turning circle of Australia, so were quite shit really. The idea of having the V1 was a lot better than the actual product. Didn't stop us giggling like retards whenever we got a free kick though.

What a Face
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: While we're waiting.............   While we're waiting............. EmptyMon Oct 03, 2011 6:25 am

Mock Cuncher wrote:
Tringreen wrote:
He was probably an early 'Wotton'.
My brother and I compared Wotton to a V1 Bomber on the computer game 'Red Alert 2'. These things could inflict a lot of damage and fired their rockets at long distance. On the other hand they took bleddy ages to deploy, never turned up in the right place and they weren't particularly resilient despite their menace and had the turning circle of Australia, so were quite shit really. The idea of having the V1 was a lot better than the actual product. Didn't stop us giggling like retards whenever we got a free kick though.

What a Face

Shooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooot ! lol!

Do I remember correctly, Argyle's first or second home game back in the Championship and Wotton scoring a late equaliser, direct from a free kick against a classy[ means they could pass] Barnsley side ?

Last edited by Tringreen on Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: While we're waiting.............   While we're waiting............. EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 8:45 pm

During my first match as an 8 year old (or thereabouts), stood towards the front in the Devonport End, I was turning to talk to someone during the kick-about. As I turned my head back towards the pitch a ball came thundering at me, hit me full on the forehead and went back onto the pitch. In those days it was solid leather with a bladder inside so it would have weighed at least half a ton. They should have signed me on schoolboy forms. I was in love from that moment.

The turnstiles between the Demport & The Kop railway sleepers that you could transfer by paying 6d (???).

Early on standing amongst some men. One of them said to his mate "Watch Andy Nelson kick their centre-forward into the air in the first five minutes." And he did. So was my expertise in football tactics formed.

Watching Derek Rickard & Richard Reynolds from the stand in a reserve match. They tore the opposition to pieces. I think Reynolds wasn't a first team regular at this stage and I was really impressed with Rickard who had yet to play in the first team. He went on to be a star. Pleased with myself.

Mariner & Rafferty. Nothing more to say.

A dog came onto the pitch and evaded all attempts to capture until Dougie Baird rugby tackled it. Immediately the chant spread around the ground, "Doggie Baird!" Well, it was funny then....

Going on my first away to Cardiff on a platform ticket bought at North Road. We lost 4 - 1. We had beaten them 7 - 1 here earlier in the season.

All so long ago. I remember it well. I don't remember this morning though.

Back to top Go down
pepsipete

pepsipete

PostSubject: Re: While we're waiting.............   While we're waiting............. EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 9:14 pm

All much like myself, have been a follower since 1954 and was a season ticket holder for thirty years, now I have difficulty with the steps to the main stand where I used to sit.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: While we're waiting.............   While we're waiting............. EmptyWed Oct 05, 2011 9:57 pm

funny man wrote:
I don't remember this morning though.

No problem FM, there wasn't a morning today.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: While we're waiting.............   While we're waiting............. EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 6:44 am

funny man wrote:
During my first match as an 8 year old (or thereabouts), stood towards the front in the Devonport End, I was turning to talk to someone during the kick-about. As I turned my head back towards the pitch a ball came thundering at me, hit me full on the forehead and went back onto the pitch. In those days it was solid leather with a bladder inside so it would have weighed at least half a ton. They should have signed me on schoolboy forms. I was in love from that moment.

The turnstiles between the Demport & The Kop railway sleepers that you could transfer by paying 6d (???).

Early on standing amongst some men. One of them said to his mate "Watch Andy Nelson kick their centre-forward into the air in the first five minutes." And he did. So was my expertise in football tactics formed.

Watching Derek Rickard & Richard Reynolds from the stand in a reserve match. They tore the opposition to pieces. I think Reynolds wasn't a first team regular at this stage and I was really impressed with Rickard who had yet to play in the first team. He went on to be a star. Pleased with myself.

Mariner & Rafferty. Nothing more to say.

A dog came onto the pitch and evaded all attempts to capture until Dougie Baird rugby tackled it. Immediately the chant spread around the ground, "Doggie Baird!" Well, it was funny then....

Going on my first away to Cardiff on a platform ticket bought at North Road. We lost 4 - 1. We had beaten them 7 - 1 here earlier in the season.

All so long ago. I remember it well. I don't remember this morning though.

Excellent nostalgia............... I remember the 6d to transfer inside the ground but also seem to recollect the early days of the boot boys and one particular game against Birmingham, when they were in the Devonport too. Don't think anything really bad kicked off but I do remember sensing the potential !
What is it with football and morons ?
Back to top Go down
pepsipete

pepsipete

PostSubject: Re: While we're waiting.............   While we're waiting............. EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 7:39 am

They used to put a row of chairs along the touchline in front of the grandstand, ringside seats at five shillings. Dad and I used to sit there before we got season tickets which was after the Spurs cup tie in 1961. 130 mile round trip from South Molton every time for dad. My brother still lives there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: While we're waiting.............   While we're waiting............. EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 5:17 pm

penzancepirate wrote:
funny man wrote:

That explains why I did bugger all. Now I have an excuse.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: While we're waiting.............   While we're waiting............. EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 5:30 pm

funny man wrote:
penzancepirate wrote:
funny man wrote:

Sounds like you're not a fan of Wordsworth, FM. No excuses necessary... each to their desire without the judgement of others.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: While we're waiting.............   While we're waiting............. EmptyThu Oct 06, 2011 10:59 pm

penzancepirate wrote:
funny man wrote:
penzancepirate wrote:
funny man wrote:

Sounds like you're not a fan of Wordsworth, FM. No excuses necessary... each to their desire without the judgement of others.

Or WH Davies?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: While we're waiting.............   While we're waiting............. EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 7:32 am

funny man wrote:
penzancepirate wrote:
funny man wrote:
penzancepirate wrote:
funny man wrote:

Or WH Davies?

He'll do too. I was referring to wandering lonely as a cloud over hill etc, and other such romantic musings. Doing bugger all in other words ... not such a bad thing on reflection, while we're waiting, and while those who are into money and self -aggrandisement huff and puff over a bit of land.
Back to top Go down
Sandford_Grecian

Sandford_Grecian

Location : Looking into the eyes of the beholder, and all I can see are £££££ signs :-)

PostSubject: Re: While we're waiting.............   While we're waiting............. EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 2:34 pm

Good god, more reminiscing here, than a Torbay retirement home, will your grandkids listen though? lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/sandford_merlin
pepsipete

pepsipete

PostSubject: Re: While we're waiting.............   While we're waiting............. EmptyFri Oct 07, 2011 2:43 pm

Sandford_Grecian wrote:
Good god, more reminiscing here, than a Torbay retirement home, will your grandkids listen though? lol!

Mine do, and ask for more!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: While we're waiting.............   While we're waiting............. Empty

Back to top Go down

While we're waiting.............
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next