Tringreen
Rickler
Freathy
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Freathy

Freathy

Worst league team in history? Empty
PostSubject: Worst league team in history?   Worst league team in history? EmptySat Sep 10, 2011 9:28 pm

Will this pathetic excuse of a 'team' be the worst to have ever played in the football league?

I think we'll finish with a lowest points and most defeats record that will never be broken.

Trust in stapes

Last edited by Freathy on Sun Sep 11, 2011 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: Worst league team in history?   Worst league team in history? EmptySat Sep 10, 2011 11:01 pm

It's certainly heading that way.

Can anything be done?

We need another Pulis, but I think even he would have a hard job 'turning' this lot around!

I don't think Reid can do it, can anyone?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Worst league team in history?   Worst league team in history? EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 9:41 am

I have always had a sad and lonely fascination with Bradford Park Avenue. I don't know why, they went bust long before I was born and it is only you coffin dodgers on here that will remember them as a league club.

But they have a claim to being the worst team in league history. As an established 3rd Division club they spent time in the 2nd and time in the 4th (as well as a few seasons in Div1 before WW1). Some bad decisions saw them in the 4th division in the 60s and a dodgy board of directors led them to seek re-election 4 years in a row. They always thought they would be safe because they were an established team but the 4 "losing" seasons had destroyed them as a club - both financially and on the pitch. They were voted out of the league in 1970 and eventually folded 4 years later because they were so ashamed of their situation. Their ground at Park Avenue still exists today - it has never been cleared and has been left to rot for 40 years. Imagine being a BPA fan and walking past that everyday?

But I think we are close to giving them a run for their money as the worst team in history.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Worst league team in history?   Worst league team in history? EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 10:42 am

I thought I heard a leading fans rep saying that Peter Reid and the hard working gentleman Ridsdale, had got a good looking team together and that he was as ebulient as ever at the start of a new season ?
This must be a rare misjudgement Rolling Eyes

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] jocolor lol!
Back to top Go down
downthetrack

downthetrack

PostSubject: Re: Worst league team in history?   Worst league team in history? EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 12:01 pm

You didn't need to start a new thread on this.Could of just added some more post's on mine Very Happy
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Worst league team in history?   Worst league team in history? EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 12:45 pm

That's it, twist the knife...........
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Worst league team in history?   Worst league team in history? EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 2:12 pm

Rickler wrote:

Can anything be done?

We need another Pulis, but I think even he would have a hard job 'turning' this lot around!

The players are shit which is why they are still here. It's not loyalty or anything else the Avivas whould have you believe, it's purely because they're crap and no-one else would touch them. But this is a very poor division full of dogshit players. With a canny manager it's possible the 'players' we have could be gelled into some sort of unit that's not so easy to beat. Peter Reid is crap. There's absolutely no doubt about it. He's clearly not the man for the job. At the moment I would love to see old monkey heed booted up the road and just about anyone brought in to replace him.

DO ONE MONKEY HEED!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Worst league team in history?   Worst league team in history? EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 9:24 am

Freathy wrote:
Rickler wrote:

Can anything be done?

The players are shit which is why they are still here. It's not loyalty or anything else the Avivas whould have you believe, it's purely because they're crap and no-one else would touch them. But this is a very poor division full of dogshit players. With a canny manager it's possible the 'players' we have could be gelled into some sort of unit that's not so easy to beat. Peter Reid is crap. There's absolutely no doubt about it. He's clearly not the man for the job. At the moment I would love to see old monkey heed booted up the road and just about anyone brought in to replace him.

DO ONE MONKEY HEED!

Sturrock?
Back to top Go down
X Isle

X Isle

PostSubject: Re: Worst league team in history?   Worst league team in history? EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 9:48 am

Freathy wrote:
Rickler wrote:

Can anything be done?

DO ONE MONKEY HEED!

I was with you up to the 'Reid out' bit. The players are sh1t, that's entirely why most came in the first place and why are still there. Whilst I agree the Reid isn't very good, I had big problems with him last season I just think his top league experience means he simply doesn't know how to operate down here with sh1t players. I like and respect the man but not his abilities as a manger. But no-one can manage sh1t players, let alone sh1t players who are not being paid.

I mean, how can he motivate them. In his younger days as a player manager he could lead by example, put the fear of god in people. But he looks like an old man now and all the fire and brimstone he could muster would be meaningless as he's got no leverage, how can he fine Simon Walton were he minded to for example?.

Sacking him won't improve anything until the players minds are settled with money, until there's an incentive again for them. What's the point of stopping your shoulders going down when you go behind if there's no win bonus to play for?. Wait until a deal is done with someone and i'm sure he'll pass through the exit gates with equal dignity and honour to how he's conducted himself thus far. I just hope Ridsdale isn't around to recommend Paul Hart when it happens.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Worst league team in history?   Worst league team in history? EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 10:34 am

Getting rid of a manager really shouldn't be considered absolutely necessary. After the Crystal Palace debacle a few seasons ago, Sturrock should have been removed there and then but the board bottled out and eventually came with some fudge that meant he could be shuffled off to one side.

Besides Reid's contract is pretty lucrative, we couldn't afford to sack him even if we wanted to.
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: Worst league team in history?   Worst league team in history? EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 12:13 pm

As many have previously commented, Reid is good with money- he's not used to our situation (although how many managers would cope with the current squad and no money). He might have some influence on players joining because of who he is, but Argyle will continue to lose unless a couple of strikers are brought in.

I also think both of our keepers will have confidence problems as neither is given a long run in the team and he keeps changing them- we need one of them to be an established number 1.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Worst league team in history?   Worst league team in history? EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 12:19 pm

Chemical Ali wrote:
As many have previously commented, Reid is good with money- he's not used to our situation (although how many managers would cope with the current squad and no money). He might have some influence on players joining because of who he is, but Argyle will continue to lose unless a couple of strikers are brought in.

I also think both of our keepers will have confidence problems as neither is given a long run in the team and he keeps changing them- we need one of them to be an established number 1.

Except when he was at Sunderland and spent a fortune on Tore Andre Flo, Lilian Laslandes and John Oster!

A few abberations aside, you speak to anyone within the game and they'll tell you how highly he is respected. If we can just establish some solid foundations, get a a striker in and then we will see a different team.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Worst league team in history?   Worst league team in history? Empty

Back to top Go down

Worst league team in history?
Page 1 of 1