14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Dougie

Dougie

How Many Others? Empty
PostSubject: How Many Others?   How Many Others? EmptySun Sep 16, 2012 8:52 pm

Quote :
An Argyle for over 70 years and he does not attend HP any more because he feels he has ben pushed out. That does sicken me.

So quotes Lee Jameson. Not about Lee but an interesting discussion point.

I wonder how many more have been affected in the same way. And moreover if it's a movement of people out of the club. I hear the mantra time and time again 'Argyle till I die' (and these days with the added appendage 'and not Argyle till it gets tough') but how many fans can the club afford to alienate one way or another especially when times are tough. Of course alot of the gripes and groans, real or otherwise, take a back seat when there is a winning team.

Sometimes have the feeling that some would cheerily wave goodbye to anyone who doesnt think, feel or stick to the same script as them. What do you have left if that is taken to it's (il)logical conclusion?
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

How Many Others? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Many Others?   How Many Others? EmptySun Sep 16, 2012 8:59 pm

think many dont bother cos the team is poor & the club is run like a charity.

i dont go as often as i once did, from 20 games a season 2008 to 12 last season.
and i reckon if i make ten games this season that would be a lot.

why ?
pushed out ?

no.

because its a waste of time, effort & money.
£15-19 (depending on where we are playing) to watch effectively amateur football is WAY too much.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

How Many Others? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Many Others?   How Many Others? EmptySun Sep 16, 2012 9:01 pm

If he is a fan of over 70 years he must be in his 80s now. An access issue seems likely.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Ken Adams

How Many Others? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Many Others?   How Many Others? EmptySun Sep 16, 2012 9:04 pm

Good point. My dad a supporter for 52 years had enough after the summer. Still puts his money into the club for shirts, merchandise, etc but prefers to sit at home and listen on the wireless now. Felt he had been ostracised by what he says is fast becoming a dictaorship. If you dont comply with the script then your made to feel as popular as the plague. When will Brents minnions realise they are merely the shield to deflect the bullets from Brent. He is a very wise man. Surely people like Webb can see the bigger picture and where this club is heading? They are so deep in the proverbial that they cant raise their head above it to speak out. If they cant see the shit we are in then we are more doomed than i thought we were.

My frustration is with Peter Jones at present. An intelligent football man who knows the business. What input if any is he having? Or are the powers that be just not listening?
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

How Many Others? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Many Others?   How Many Others? EmptySun Sep 16, 2012 9:05 pm

GCFC. Your story is just as interesting if only because Brents plan relies on pulling in the punters. Nothing changes unless the fans come trickling/pouring back.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

How Many Others? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Many Others?   How Many Others? EmptySun Sep 16, 2012 9:25 pm

Ken Adams wrote:
Good point. My dad a supporter for 52 years had enough after the summer. Still puts his money into the club for shirts, merchandise, etc but prefers to sit at home and listen on the wireless now. Felt he had been ostracised by what he says is fast becoming a dictaorship. If you dont comply with the script then your made to feel as popular as the plague. When will Brents minnions realise they are merely the shield to deflect the bullets from Brent. He is a very wise man. Surely people like Webb can see the bigger picture and where this club is heading? They are so deep in the proverbial that they cant raise their head above it to speak out. If they cant see the shit we are in then we are more doomed than i thought we were.

My frustration is with Peter Jones at present. An intelligent football man who knows the business. What input if any is he having? Or are the powers that be just not listening?

Certainly intelligent, yes. You'd think previous knowledge would make him a prime mover and shaker. But perhaps on the face of it, he really is just an Argyle fan with a career in Marketing.

Or maybe, he spends all his time sitting smugly in his antique chesterfield in the boardroom, nonchalantly flicking the v's at a picture of Paul Stapleton....

Back to top Go down
fridgey

fridgey

How Many Others? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Many Others?   How Many Others? EmptySun Sep 16, 2012 9:29 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
Ken Adams wrote:

Certainly intelligent, yes. You'd think previous knowledge would make him a prime mover and shaker. But perhaps on the face of it, he really is just an Argyle fan with a career in Marketing.

Or maybe, he spends all his time sitting smugly in his antique chesterfield in the boardroom, nonchalantly flicking the v's at a picture of Paul Stapleton....

Great image!!
Back to top Go down

How Many Others? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Many Others?   How Many Others? EmptySun Sep 16, 2012 11:25 pm

Maybe Peter Jones has decided that a cushy job and a share of profits from raping the feck out of the club is much more enjoyable than trying to use his football experience to sort the feck out of this mess?

Maybe going along with totally alienating long standing fans and removing them from their unpaid role of a fantastic article in the matchday programme is easier than telling Brents chums to feck off when they suggest it?

And maybe sat nodding your head in the boardroom at another daft idea like putting families in block 17 and encouraging a bunch of schoolkids with flags to create atmosphere at the expense of Devonport End regulars of several years, is far easier than telling James Brent the truth that Carl Fletcher and Romain Larrieu are out of their depth and won't get Argyle promoted while he has a hole in his ass?

Maybe it's easier to go along with Newell and his gang lording it up at Home Park like they own the place than risk becoming another victim of their online shit? Maybe him and Brent will go on the next fishing trip and take Fletcher with them like a nice cosy family content with year on year improvement in league position that will see us on course for promotion in 2020?

Maybe Plymouth Albion would be interested in ground sharing so there would be a guaranteed crowd every weekend and eventually everyone would attend Home Park every weekend mixing soccer and rugger alternately? Because let's face it, Argyle don't benefit from the huge away support we have, so give them a viable alternative to taking their money elsewhere every other week?

A nice sanitised family atmosphere with all jolly good friends together every weekend, all enjoying fanfests and travelling families enjoying the benefits of an overnight stay at the newly built hotel, safe in the knowledge that there is no trouble at Home Park because everybody knows everybody else and the kids are all together playing PlayStation like all good community focused clubs should be offering.

All of this overseen by a bunch of friends who are committed to the virtues of fan involvement. Spreading the word about Argyle ambassadors and thus doing away with a large workforce and expensive advertising.

We could be the envy of every club in the land, whilst not needing the success that costs the owner money. The tidy but compact stadium attracting a regular 10000 fans per fortnight who are grateful to have a club to support after the awful experience of the previous board.

A self sufficient club that pays for itself, and one day, yes one day, like he promised, James Brent could possibly own a club that is back in the dizzy heights of the championship again, without having to pay out a penny to get us there.

James proudly sat in the directors box, with his good friends who helped him achieve his dream, overlooking the complex that carries his name.

Brent Park, the sporting pride of the Southwest, complete with postboxes stuffed full of fanmail for Tom and the mermaid janner Ruta.

Thank God it was all just a nightmare and Peggys programme notes will be there on Tuesday night and Peter Jones has found an experienced manager who can take over the reins and get us moving up the league while Carl Fletcher learns his trade as an assistant.
Back to top Go down

How Many Others? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Many Others?   How Many Others? EmptySun Sep 16, 2012 11:31 pm

Greenjock wrote:
Maybe Peter Jones has decided that a cushy job and a share of profits from raping the feck out of the club is much more enjoyable than trying to use his football experience to sort the feck out of this mess?

Maybe going along with totally alienating long standing fans and removing them from their unpaid role of a fantastic article in the matchday programme is easier than telling Brents chums to feck off when they suggest it?

And maybe sat nodding your head in the boardroom at another daft idea like putting families in block 17 and encouraging a bunch of schoolkids with flags to create atmosphere at the expense of Devonport End regulars of several years, is far easier than telling James Brent the truth that Carl Fletcher and Romain Larrieu are out of their depth and won't get Argyle promoted while he has a hole in his ass?

Maybe it's easier to go along with Newell and his gang lording it up at Home Park like they own the place than risk becoming another victim of their online shit? Maybe him and Brent will go on the next fishing trip and take Fletcher with them like a nice cosy family content with year on year improvement in league position that will see us on course for promotion in 2020?

Maybe Plymouth Albion would be interested in ground sharing so there would be a guaranteed crowd every weekend and eventually everyone would attend Home Park every weekend mixing soccer and rugger alternately? Because let's face it, Argyle don't benefit from the huge away support we have, so give them a viable alternative to taking their money elsewhere every other week?

A nice sanitised family atmosphere with all jolly good friends together every weekend, all enjoying fanfests and travelling families enjoying the benefits of an overnight stay at the newly built hotel, safe in the knowledge that there is no trouble at Home Park because everybody knows everybody else and the kids are all together playing PlayStation like all good community focused clubs should be offering.

All of this overseen by a bunch of friends who are committed to the virtues of fan involvement. Spreading the word about Argyle ambassadors and thus doing away with a large workforce and expensive advertising.

We could be the envy of every club in the land, whilst not needing the success that costs the owner money. The tidy but compact stadium attracting a regular 10000 fans per fortnight who are grateful to have a club to support after the awful experience of the previous board.

A self sufficient club that pays for itself, and one day, yes one day, like he promised, James Brent could possibly own a club that is back in the dizzy heights of the championship again, without having to pay out a penny to get us there.

James proudly sat in the directors box, with his good friends who helped him achieve his dream, overlooking the complex that carries his name.

Brent Park, the sporting pride of the Southwest, complete with postboxes stuffed full of fanmail for Tom and the mermaid janner Ruta.

Thank God it was all just a nightmare and Peggys programme notes will be there on Tuesday night and Peter Jones has found an experienced manager who can take over the reins and get us moving up the league while Carl Fletcher learns his trade as an assistant.

Why would Albion entertain the idea when they have their own stadium and get good numbers for championship rugby?
Back to top Go down

How Many Others? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Many Others?   How Many Others? EmptySun Sep 16, 2012 11:48 pm

To cut costs. Maybe they could sell their ground to James Brent for a big lump sum, and then pay us rent to groundshare?

Then there's another opportunity for the expansion of Brent Park? Multiplex cinema anyone?

Just the ramblings of an undesirable who doesn't fit into the template of the compliant fan wanted at Home Park these days.
Back to top Go down

How Many Others? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Many Others?   How Many Others? EmptySun Sep 16, 2012 11:58 pm

Greenjock wrote:
To cut costs. Maybe they could sell their ground to James Brent for a big lump sum, and then pay us rent to groundshare?

Then there's another opportunity for the expansion of Brent Park? Multiplex cinema anyone?

Just the ramblings of an undesirable who doesn't fit into the template of the compliant fan wanted at Home Park these days.

They couldnt as the council own the ground. To be honest The Brickfields stadium is suited for Albion and their ambitions for premiership rugby why step down a level and share with argyle. I quite like the fact one team in Plymouth has ambition.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

How Many Others? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Many Others?   How Many Others? EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 8:18 am

It's not even a proper football club anymore. And it certainly doesn't feel like my club. GJ mentiond Peter Jones and ironically the club is now exactly what he didn't want it to become according the pasoti PMs he used to send me i.e. a property development business with a 'football club' bolted on. As far as brent seems to be concened if the football club is not self sufficient then it will be left to wither on the vine but like some others I believe there is a disparity between the gate receipts and the playing budget. Last time we were uber shit it felt different and I could feel an upward trajectory was just around the corner. This situation feels very different - even sinister with all the spin and attempts at detracting with shite like fan fests, big flags, murals and forza merde. If I thought for one second we had reached the bottom and the football was again the main focus and a climb back up the divisions was beginning I would be back at HP like a shot. But that's not the feeling I get at all.
Back to top Go down

How Many Others? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Many Others?   How Many Others? EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 8:58 am

Renegade wrote:
Greenjock wrote:

They couldnt as the council own the ground. To be honest The Brickfields stadium is suited for Albion and their ambitions for premiership rugby why step down a level and share with argyle. I quite like the fact one team in Plymouth has ambition.

I'm sure some deal could be struck with the council. They have quite a relationship with Mr Brent now Wink
Back to top Go down

How Many Others? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Many Others?   How Many Others? EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 9:01 am

Greenjock wrote:
Renegade wrote:
Greenjock wrote:

I'm sure some deal could be struck with the council. They have quite a relationship with Mr Brent now Wink

Now we're getting to the nitty-gritty.
Back to top Go down
Mapperley, darling

Mapperley, darling

How Many Others? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Many Others?   How Many Others? EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 9:04 am

Greenjock wrote:

then, in steps PJ to buy the club and take us to the premiership drunken
Back to top Go down
http://www.nicegarden.co.uk
Tringreen

Tringreen

How Many Others? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Many Others?   How Many Others? EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 9:15 am

Those who have been given the largest silly hats and titles, simply do not possess the class or sophistication to make the club anything more than village.

Educated w@nkers are not welcome as they think and question.

Back to top Go down

How Many Others? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Many Others?   How Many Others? EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 9:46 am

Greenjock wrote:
Renegade wrote:
Greenjock wrote:

nahhh there would no point other than greed on Brent's part and again Albion dont need/want the move as much as Brent wants the cash.
Back to top Go down
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

How Many Others? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Many Others?   How Many Others? EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 10:12 am

It certainly doesn't feel like the club I've supported for more years than I care to remember, and I have no desire at the moment to go to Home Park - the first time in over 40 years I have felt like that.

The club at the moment seems suited to flag waving, cheer leading, bucket rattling, Webb loving simpletons who will do exactly what they are told to do.

As a matter of interest, I wonder how many of these 'new breed' of Argyle fans actually believe that all is well and the club is moving forward?

Rhetorical question really, as they probably simply don't know, and most probably don't know what to do with a toilet seat.

Are these people so easily led? Quite frightening really.
Back to top Go down

How Many Others? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Many Others?   How Many Others? EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 10:17 am

After a 3-1 home defeat that leaves us 87th out of 92, the term "Pratsoti" was coined by someone sat in the directors box to denigrate those who dared to moan about the result.

Very scary times indeed.
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

How Many Others? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Many Others?   How Many Others? EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 10:23 am

There are various low points and many more important ones than the one I'm about to mention but the moment the 'legend' Darren Purse's image went on a mural (and I'm not at all against the idea of murals per se) I thought the club was pandering to a vacuous goldfished minded populace.

Though I might well have mentioned this before ad infinitum

Last edited by Dougie on Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

How Many Others? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Many Others?   How Many Others? EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 10:23 am

Frank Bullitt wrote:
After a 3-1 home defeat that leaves us 87th out of 92, the term "Pratsoti" was coined by someone sat in the directors box to denigrate those who dared to moan about the result.

Very scary times indeed.

He's probably been 'misquoted' Frank. Cool
Back to top Go down
Charlie Wood

Charlie Wood

How Many Others? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Many Others?   How Many Others? EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 10:57 am

PlymptonPilgrim wrote:
It certainly doesn't feel like the club I've supported for more years than I care to remember, and I have no desire at the moment to go to Home Park - the first time in over 40 years I have felt like that.

The club at the moment seems suited to flag waving, cheer leading, bucket rattling, Webb loving simpletons who will do exactly what they are told to do.

As a matter of interest, I wonder how many of these 'new breed' of Argyle fans actually believe that all is well and the club is moving forward?

Rhetorical question really, as they probably simply don't know, and most probably don't know what to do with a toilet seat.

Whilst I pretty much agree with you PP, I don't think it's helpful to define everybody that still attends with the same broad brush. I'd wager that the vast majority are ordinary folk who are addicted to their habit and, if they were pushed would identify with a lot of the concerns expressed on this website.

We've seen in the past, though, that that "vast majority" will not suffer crap indefinitely.
Back to top Go down
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

How Many Others? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Many Others?   How Many Others? EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 11:23 am

Charlie Wood wrote:
PlymptonPilgrim wrote:

Whilst I pretty much agree with you PP, I don't think it's helpful to define everybody that still attends with the same broad brush. I'd wager that the vast majority are ordinary folk who are addicted to their habit and, if they were pushed would identify with a lot of the concerns expressed on this website.

We've seen in the past, though, that that "vast majority" will not suffer crap indefinitely.

Fair point Charlie, and I don't for one minute want to tar everyone with the same brush. The point I was trying to make is that all the metaphoric noise is about Forza thingy and organised singing or whatever, which gives the impression that everyone is behind the club and the direction in which it's going.

I agree that the vast majority who go to try enjoy their football, in the main, stay silent. When these start voting with their feet, perhaps Mr Brent will take notice, but I fear that he sees the masses orchestrated by Webb and believes the fans are behind him.

I may be doing him a disservice and he's not that gullible - time will tell.
Back to top Go down

How Many Others? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Many Others?   How Many Others? EmptyMon Sep 17, 2012 11:43 am

I don't think that Brent gives a flying w*nk if anyone turns up at HP or not, the quicker the club enters the conference the quicker he can hand it over to the lunatics. PAFC is nothing more than a boil on the ass as far as Jim is concerned.
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

How Many Others? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Many Others?   How Many Others? EmptyTue Sep 18, 2012 12:27 pm

I genuinely believe Brent is taking the fanbase for granted as "fantastic support" that we will watch any old crap served up. Seems more and more evident that attendences are starting to fall this season. Be interesting to see what the figure is tonight - expecting of course that Rover would normally bring a fair few down for a westcountry derby.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

How Many Others? Empty
PostSubject: Re: How Many Others?   How Many Others? Empty

Back to top Go down

How Many Others?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic :: Home Park :: The Mayflower-
Jump to: