The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

You have a fantastic manager

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Tgwu

You have a fantastic manager Empty
PostSubject: You have a fantastic manager   You have a fantastic manager EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 7:24 pm

Plymouth Argyle's loan striker Guy Madjo has been impressed by his new manager Carl Fletcher in his first week at the League Two club.

Madjo played 25 minutes of last week's Devon derby with Torquay after signing from Aldershot the night before.

“I know myself and what I can deliver, I think people will definitely see more of me”

"I can't believe how fantastic the manager is, I'm learning a lot from him," Madjo told BBC South West.

"No disrespect to the other managers I've played under, but I've never had someone like this."

Madjo continued: "He's been in the game and he knows what he's talking about. It's a good set-up here compared to so many places I've been to."

The former Cameroon Under-23 international made the loan move to Home Park as he found opportunities hard to come by at the Shots , despite scoring eight goals in 20 appearances last season.

The 28-year-old also went on loan to Saturday's opponents Port Vale last year, where he scored four goals in six games, including a hat-trick against his parent club Aldershot.

"I know there's more from me to come. I know myself and what I can deliver, I think people will definitely see more of me," he added.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: You have a fantastic manager   You have a fantastic manager EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 7:27 pm

Basically "please sign me permanently"
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: You have a fantastic manager   You have a fantastic manager EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 7:31 pm

Oh you cynical person you.......
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: You have a fantastic manager   You have a fantastic manager EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 7:35 pm

Chemical Ali wrote:
Basically "please sign me permanently"

Yup, that's about the size of it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: You have a fantastic manager   You have a fantastic manager EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 7:35 pm

I read that earlier, and although I'm not his biggest fan it isn't the first time a player has said this sort of thing about Fletcher so perhaps he is doing something right and could turn out to be a decent manager.

That says to me that he needs a mentor/director of football or whatever you want to call it, but someone with more experience and contacts which would allow Fletcher to concentrate on coaching.
Back to top Go down
tcm

tcm

PostSubject: Re: You have a fantastic manager   You have a fantastic manager EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 7:38 pm

ile give it a go jock Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: You have a fantastic manager   You have a fantastic manager EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 7:42 pm

Greenjock wrote:
I read that earlier, and although I'm not his biggest fan it isn't the first time a player has said this sort of thing about Fletcher so perhaps he is doing something right and could turn out to be a decent manager.

That says to me that he needs a mentor/director of football or whatever you want to call it, but someone with more experience and contacts which would allow Fletcher to concentrate on coaching.

I think it says that he's decent at dealing with players, and says the right things to make them feel good.

Whether those players are any good at football, or have the ability to execute a tactical instruction that may or may not turn out to be hopeless, is another matter. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: You have a fantastic manager   You have a fantastic manager EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 7:45 pm

I can imagine Madjo trundles onto the pitch at Harpers Park and waits for Fletch to give his Strikers' training session "yeah, y'know, um, um, you get the ball, y know, um and then you shoot at goal and y'know score a goal." Fletch walks off to conduct training with others. Madjo looks around bemused
"feeno, what the fek was that, where was the training"
"to be sure Guy, that was the training. Just tell Fletch he's the best manager ever and He'll start you every week. It's what Chadders and I have done for months now and it works! I even got a new contract and pay rise in June!"
"cheers feeno, by the way why are you balancing a dog turd on your head?"
"I'm the funny one and we've got corner practice in a minute. I'm marking Pursey and want to give him a shithead."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: You have a fantastic manager   You have a fantastic manager EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 7:56 pm

Greenjock wrote:

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt certainly. You rightly point out GJ that his contacts are an issue and I agree. I also think his mentality is an issue. Too often, even currently without the threat of relegation, that he's a safety first man, even at home. Who wants to see Argyle play safety first at home and pay £20 or so.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: You have a fantastic manager   You have a fantastic manager EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 8:14 pm

I really think that Fletcher is a safety first man but for a reason. He has been part of the losing mentality around at Home Park for sometime now. I do believe he is scared of losing and because of that tries to set the team up not to do that first and foremost. This maybe explains the first half performances we have seen so often. It isn't pretty and most of us don't like to see it. I do though understand his logic up to a point.

I also think that the opinion of Fletcher is a tad prejudiced at times. He was appointed by Ridsdale and kept on by Brent who a lot on here don't trust. He was set a task last season and achieved it by non pretty football. But he completed the task whatever anyone says. It is a results driven business and managers live and die by the results. Being a novice he is kean not to fail and I do believe it is all relevant. We or some of us at least are willing to believe comments like Madjo's are contrived when he may well mean exactly what he said. None of us are on the training ground or witness the training sessions so who else can judge but the players. I don't expect universal agreement with this but I'm trying to be objective rather than heart rule head.
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: You have a fantastic manager   You have a fantastic manager EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 8:31 pm

Think madjo's comments just reflect the reality that a large number of professional players - are just plain dumb.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: You have a fantastic manager   You have a fantastic manager EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 8:57 pm

But that is another stereotype kind of statement aka. I've never even heard this bloke speak to make a comment on his IQ. The question I would ask you is how many training sessions have you attended under Fletcher? It is easy to dismiss his comments by saying all players are thick therefore he hasn't got a clue. I get the humour in Chemical Ali's post also but this comes from Fletcher's lack of media charisma. Not everyone comes across as a sharp cookie in front of a microphone or camera. I've heard loads of football interviews where the words "Y'no" is used frequently even by managers who are perceived as good. They train footballers not students of English. I've worked with a few people who if asked to stand up and make a speech are tongue tied and can't do it but if you talk to the same person in a group sat around a table then they are full of ideas. Public speaking is not a measure of footballing prowess.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: You have a fantastic manager   You have a fantastic manager EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 8:58 pm

tcm wrote:
ile give it a go jock Very Happy

Although I'm sure you could teach him a thing or two about scoring Mike, I was thinking more along the lines of Howard Wilkinson than Howard Marks drunken
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: You have a fantastic manager   You have a fantastic manager EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 9:45 pm

Was a bit of a provocative statement Sensible on my part, just fed up with all the talking up of the league prospects, fletcher and everything by the players, which hardly reflects our usual league position or results. Maybe Mr Madjo made a genuine comment, but as always I'd rather see the talking done on the pitch. In fairness he has only known Fletcher a very short time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: You have a fantastic manager   You have a fantastic manager EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 9:57 pm

I agree with that aka in that the pitch is where the talking should be done. I still think the don't lose mentality is a spot on analysis of where Fletcher's head is and until that ghost can be exorcised then I fear it is not going to get more exciting. I think we have a squad who can compete in this league even if not at the top end maybe. Fletcher needs to let go of his demons and at least go for it at home. I think he has a player in Griffiths who can and will score goals despite the stick given to him because of his age and other occupation. He showed one hell of a lot of promise in his cameo appearance. I just hope he starts with him rather than bringing him on when 45 minutes have already gone. And alongside this Madjo to see what they can do together.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: You have a fantastic manager   You have a fantastic manager EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 10:44 pm

If Guy Madjo has fallen out with his own manager...is he buttering up Fletcher so as to get a longer contract at Argyle ?
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: You have a fantastic manager   You have a fantastic manager EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 9:13 am

I admire your optimism Sensible, however would agree Griffiths shows promise from his very limited playing time, and if Madjo is good then we could suddenly have a promising strike force (for a short time).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: You have a fantastic manager   You have a fantastic manager EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 8:39 pm

akagreengull wrote:
I admire your optimism Sensible, however would agree Griffiths shows promise from his very limited playing time, and if Madjo is good then we could suddenly have a promising strike force (for a short time).

Don't think we saw much of him on the screen in the bar downstairs, by the time we went out, he came on, scored and went off! Going tomorrow Tribute abounds!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: You have a fantastic manager   You have a fantastic manager EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 8:55 pm

Jaytex2012 wrote:
akagreengull wrote:

Don't think we saw much of him on the screen in the bar downstairs, by the time we went out, he came on, scored and went off! Going tomorrow Tribute abounds!

Just scoring for Argyle at the moment makes you part of a promising strike force though to be fair.
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: You have a fantastic manager   You have a fantastic manager EmptyFri Sep 14, 2012 9:18 pm

Jaytex enjoy the Tribute, at least they got something right at H.P.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: You have a fantastic manager   You have a fantastic manager Empty

Back to top Go down

You have a fantastic manager
Page 1 of 1