Czarcasm
Mock Cuncher
seadog
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 15 ... 25  Next
AuthorMessage

Fishing - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 6 EmptyTue Jul 09, 2013 9:49 am

A mate of mine fishes it real early, they do catch and release now and he has some wood sport.
Back to top Go down

Fishing - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 11, 2013 12:04 pm

Out on the big briny last night, caught over a hundred mackerel in a couple of hours, put loads of tackers back but had some lovely plump ones at last. Water has warmed up loads, 16.5 off Plymouth last night. Started to really hit them at about 8 O clock and were still pulling them out as the sun was going down. The sea was glassy going back in and several big fish on the surface, could have been Bass or Salmon as non are running at the moment, cracking night out with a nice beer at my local for last orders.
Back to top Go down
Mapperley, darling

Mapperley, darling

Fishing - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 6 EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 12:19 pm

i miss the sea Sad 
Back to top Go down
http://www.nicegarden.co.uk

Fishing - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 6 EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 1:10 pm

Apart from the fly casting which is my main sport, i do the occasional spot of sea fishing from the shore, can anyone recommend anything different , ie places, spots, apart from the usual mountbatten etc, relatively local .
Back to top Go down

Fishing - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 6 EmptyFri Jul 12, 2013 5:45 pm

Have a go with your fly rod one evening at Queeners Point (Rame head) or the grotto down near penlee point. Any decent sized fry imitator or lure will work for Mackerel, Bass or Pollock, lovely way to fish. You can get some pretty decent sandeel imitations in a good tackle shop, good luck mate.
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

Fishing - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 6 EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 2:19 am

Anchored in 23, between the Tinker and the OSR buoys, plenty of Mackerel on the surface under our lights plus some nice looking Garfish cruising. had a couple of Mackies but off to bed now.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Fishing - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 6 EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 4:22 pm

punchdrunk wrote:
Apart from the fly casting which is my main sport, i do the occasional spot of sea fishing from the shore, can anyone recommend anything different , ie places, spots, apart from the usual mountbatten etc, relatively local .

Depends what you fancy going for really. Most marks will unfortunately be infested with dogfish, but my favourite south coast spots are inthe Kingsbridge estuary for Thornback Ray, and the north Cornish coast (between Newquay and Trevose Head there are some cracking marks) for Small-eyed Ray. Used to love night sessions down there when the ratchet went screaming off... Very Happy 
Back to top Go down

Fishing - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 6 EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 6:09 pm

Never ever fished a lot for Ray, I had a few good Thornies off Cremmyl beach back in the day but never tried other than that. Wonwell is the south hams is meant to be a good spot for Small Eyed and Blonde ray but apparently you need to cast 300m!What a Face
Back to top Go down

Fishing - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 6 EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 6:13 pm

I forgot to log my report the other day,
Fished our side of the Mewstone and hit a huge shoal of Pollack all about two pounds in weight, we were catching full strings on feathers which though good sport I didn't take any because they aren't brilliant to eat unless they are a lot bigger IMO, but there were absolutely tons of them there, caught a few Mackerel then home, only fishing from 7 onwards in the evening as its too hot, too bright for fishing.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Fishing - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 6 EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 6:24 pm

Iggy wrote:
Never ever fished a lot for Ray, I had a few good Thornies off Cremmyl beach back in the day but never tried other than that. Wonwell is the south hams is meant to be a good spot for Small Eyed and Blonde ray but apparently you need to cast 300m!What a Face

Yeah and that's just to put your live eel in the right spot! Then you've gotta get the fuckers off the bottom! Laughing

I've been down Trevose all weekend and tbf it would have been perfect for Small Eyeds. Flat as a pancake which is rare for the north coast,so you're not literally risking your life to climb down and unhook the buggers. I'll have to dig the rods out.
Back to top Go down

Fishing - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 6 EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 6:59 pm

My mates were at Harlyn for the weekend, I couldn't face the crowds and cried off, the metal spike at Mother Ivies bay is a really good spot for all sorts as well.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Fishing - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 6 EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 7:55 pm

Iggy wrote:
My mates were at Harlyn for the weekend, I couldn't face the crowds and cried off, the metal spike at Mother Ivies bay is a really good spot for all sorts as well.

I was at Harlyn too. Spent best part of saturday and sunday afternoon at the Harlyn Inn. Glorious it was.. sunny

We're they fishing or just on the lash?
Back to top Go down

Fishing - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 6 EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 8:20 pm

With the wives and probably guitars and on the lash, it's an old stomping ground of mine, shame about all the grockles.
Back to top Go down

Fishing - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 6 EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 9:21 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
punchdrunk wrote:

Depends what you fancy going for really. Most marks will unfortunately be infested with dogfish, but my favourite south coast spots are inthe Kingsbridge estuary for Thornback Ray, and the north Cornish coast (between Newquay and Trevose Head there are some cracking marks) for Small-eyed Ray. Used to love night sessions down there when the ratchet went screaming off... Very Happy 

Can you eat Dogfish ?
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Fishing - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 6 EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 9:38 pm

punchdrunk wrote:
Czarcasm wrote:
punchdrunk wrote:

Can you eat Dogfish ?

You can yeah, and the bigger version Bull Huss. Rock Salmon they call it.
Back to top Go down

Fishing - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 6 EmptyMon Jul 15, 2013 9:39 pm

Rock salmon is pretty good but only when it's fresh. When it's not fresh it's bloody awful!
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

Fishing - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 6 EmptyWed Jul 17, 2013 6:50 am

Needs to be skinned, an art I have never mastered.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Fishing - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 6 EmptyWed Jul 17, 2013 2:42 pm

Also Punchy, there's lots of general rules of thumb when it comes to shore fishing. Use your local knowledge if you have any. Make sure you're fishing the most productive part of the tide. Get your bait set correctly and put it out in the right areas, and at the best time of day  (or night)The best bit of advice I was given, was to target your species. Buying some ragworm and throwing it out at a convenient spot in the hope of a bite ain't gonna bag you a specimen. Always decide what you're targeting, and use the killer bait for that species.

Oh and most importantly, if you do find a top secret mark that fishes well, DON'T EVER TELL ANY OTHER FUCKER ABOUT IT !!pirat
Back to top Go down

Fishing - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 6 EmptyWed Jul 17, 2013 6:05 pm

Especially Mike fuckin Millman! He gave out my favourite bass spot a few years ago, next time I went there were twenty people fishing.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Fishing - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 6 EmptyWed Jul 17, 2013 6:36 pm

Iggy wrote:
Especially Mike fuckin Millman! He gave out my favourite bass spot a few years ago, next time I went there were twenty people fishing.

What a cnut. Is he still alive even? I thought the Herald just regurgitated his 'top tips' on an annual basis.Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

Fishing - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 6 EmptyWed Jul 17, 2013 10:05 pm

Mackerel strip has to be the top cheap bait down west
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

Fishing - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 6 EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 2:21 pm

fresh mackerel fillets, grilled for lunch. purrrrrrrrrfect.
Back to top Go down

Fishing - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 6 EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 4:50 pm

Where you at then Seadog?
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

Fishing - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 6 EmptyFri Jul 26, 2013 9:55 pm

Portsmouth this morning and arvo, arrived in Poole at 2100, off to Southampton tomorrow at 1030 to load for Jersey, due there 1200 on Sunday.
Back to top Go down

Fishing - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 6 EmptySun Jul 28, 2013 8:58 pm

Hitting Burrator on Thursday, gonna try a line of 3 instead of my usual single fly pattern, light buzzer at the top, medium buzzer in the middle, then a heavy buzzer or a nymph at the bottom, see how i get on, quietly confident though, i reckon this showery weather the rainbows and brownies are gonna be feeding like mad, ill let u know how i get on
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fishing - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Fishing
Page 6 of 25Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 15 ... 25  Next