Czarcasm
Mock Cuncher
seadog
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15 ... 25  Next
AuthorMessage

Fishing - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 5 EmptyThu May 02, 2013 5:20 pm

A puffin! I had no idea they were in that area!
Back to top Go down

Fishing - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 5 EmptyThu May 02, 2013 5:24 pm

I've just looked up recipes for wrasse, as I've never eaten one, and found the following two:

Fill a large pot with water and bring to the boil. Once boiling, add a brick and
a wrasse. Simmer until the wrasse has disolved, then eat the brick.

and

place a wrasse in between two pieces of wood, barbecue for a couple of days, throw wrasse away and eat wood.

I guess that means they aren't worth eating..... Very Happy
Back to top Go down

Fishing - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 5 EmptyThu May 02, 2013 10:24 pm

I've never seen a Puffing there either, as for a Wrasse I've never eaten them as everybody says they aren't good, and they are beautiful fish.
Back to top Go down

Fishing - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 5 EmptyThu May 02, 2013 11:02 pm

There's a dolphin that pops into the Barbican quite often and swims around the mouth of the Plym for a bit.
Back to top Go down

Fishing - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 5 EmptyFri May 03, 2013 1:02 am

We have actually had seals as far up the Tamar as Calstock - rarely but we do have them!
Back to top Go down

Fishing - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 5 EmptyFri May 03, 2013 10:06 am

Go up the Tamar or Tavy when the Salmon are running you will see up to seven hauled out on the banks below Lopwell at high tide. As a Salmon fisherman I have been duped into paying extra money for licences so that we could buy up all the Salmon fishing rights from the netsman, which when done are replaced by seals. Don't get me wrong I love to see a seal in the wild but when they are eating a mouthful of roe from a 15lb salmon and letting the rest rot at the bottom of the river because they are so stuffed it makes me very sad. The saddest thing is that there are less Salmon in the rivers now than when the netsman were here. I catch on average one Salmon about every three years and the authorities want me to return that fish because Salmon are so scarce! It's all fecked up and doesn't benefit the Salmon one bit, it's more like a policy to breed more seals.
Back to top Go down

Fishing - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 5 EmptyFri May 03, 2013 11:04 am

In a meeting recently (if I understood a passing comment properly) we were told that the salmon restrictions were to be lifted soon as planned because the stocks seem to have recovered enough.

If life gives you seal find a seal recipe.... Smile

Seal recipe.
Back to top Go down

Fishing - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 5 EmptyFri May 03, 2013 11:47 am

I have had a number of people tell me they have seen seals in the pool below Lopwell dam which backs up your story Iggy.

I guess they are there at times because it's a lay up place for salmon before they tackle the dam.
Back to top Go down

Fishing - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 5 EmptyFri May 03, 2013 12:13 pm

Go mad have a look yourself in June or July, on a spring tide when we have had a lot of rain.
Yesterday off Rame head, close to shore there were a group of about six birds that looked like grebes or divers, they were fairly plain brown, any ideas what they were?
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

Fishing - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 5 EmptyFri May 03, 2013 1:37 pm

Saw about 200 seals on the Goodwin Sands this morning, also a huge fooker in Aberdeen Harbour on Wed, patrolling the mouth of the Don.
Back to top Go down
Highwayman

Highwayman

Fishing - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 5 EmptyFri May 03, 2013 3:24 pm

Iggy wrote:
Go up the Tamar or Tavy when the Salmon are running you will see up to seven hauled out on the banks below Lopwell at high tide. As a Salmon fisherman I have been duped into paying extra money for licences so that we could buy up all the Salmon fishing rights from the netsman, which when done are replaced by seals. Don't get me wrong I love to see a seal in the wild but when they are eating a mouthful of roe from a 15lb salmon and letting the rest rot at the bottom of the river because they are so stuffed it makes me very sad. The saddest thing is that there are less Salmon in the rivers now than when the netsman were here. I catch on average one Salmon about every three years and the authorities want me to return that fish because Salmon are so scarce! It's all fecked up and doesn't benefit the Salmon one bit, it's more like a policy to breed more seals.

Caught my very first fish at Lopwell as a 10 year slip of a lad, a sea trout which my mother and I ate with great pride. The amount of times I walked from the top of Southway to Lopwell to catch another but never did. Went home with a pheasant once mind Embarassed
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

Fishing - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 5 EmptySun May 05, 2013 5:02 pm

fish are running in the Solent again at the refinery a dozen small Bass, up to a pound and 3 little Pollack.

Mackerel should not be far behind.
Back to top Go down

Fishing - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 5 EmptySun May 05, 2013 7:30 pm

Off in the morning.
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

Fishing - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 5 EmptySun May 05, 2013 7:35 pm

Geddon
Back to top Go down

Fishing - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 5 EmptyMon May 06, 2013 3:34 pm

Two Mackerel, trolled for Bass outside of the Yealm for a couple of hours, saw Sandeels but no Bass, they'll keep! Nearly got sunk by a wanker on a yacht, two boats, one heading west, one east, I thought Ill pass being the pair of them when they cross in front of me (I'm doing 2.5knts) the boat that passed to port then started turning back towards us, motor on, sails up and this tw@t looking out over the back of his boat no idea we were there! I was effing and jeffing and he finally looks round, his bowsprit was just over our boat, turned and missed us by literally two inches! He said sorry whilst I taught him a bit of Anglo Saxon, to be honest I was tempted to board him and give him some proper education. And Sailors are the first to moan about other water users, I'm going to change my pants.
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

Fishing - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 5 EmptyMon May 06, 2013 4:30 pm

I had a "do" with a racing Sunsail fleet in the Solent a few weeks ago, ignorant, arrogant cnuts to a man.
Back to top Go down

Fishing - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 5 EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 12:57 pm

Wish me luck! Bit bright at the mo. but should cloud over, hoping for some Mackerell on the high tide.sunny 
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

Fishing - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 5 EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 8:14 pm

Wish I was there with you, had a wee bass today on a lovely mackerel lure I bought in Oz, I'll try and find a link
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

Fishing - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 5 EmptySun Jul 07, 2013 8:32 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Tsunami Pro Green Mackerel

Each one is 5cm, 2", long, first cast and the bugger grabbed it, only bought 2 packs, what a tw@t............

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

These are at Weymouth Angling Centre, 4" though, the mackerel is the bottom one.
Back to top Go down

Fishing - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 5 EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 11:38 am

My mate uses those in the Solent, reckons they work well. Anyway, 15 Mackerell from small to a good pound, two Herring (or are they Cornish Sardines now?) Bleddy great Whiting, 2-3lbs, so fillet the whiting for freezer, will barby Mackerell and Herring tonight. All in all a great trip, we were going to troll for Bass but it was so busy with pleasure boats we just went straight out from Muff, found fish in water 100' plus but very patchy, the sun don't help but you can't moan. Had the Whiting on baited feathers, dropped the bugger and ended up with a baited feather stuck in my thumb, bleddy thing was well in as well. I just did the manly thing and pulled it straight out and luckily today it's looking alright, left a pot out to pick up on Wednesday, tight lines.
Ps. I also saw a pod of Bottlenosed dolphins outside the Breakwater, my mate in Cawsands reckons they are about all the time now, anyway some idiot in a rib scared them off by trying to follow them from about three feet away.
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

Fishing - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 5 EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 1:19 pm

Wanker, sounds good, I always press down the barbs on any hook I use, saves the fish and me.

Down there next week, after 15th, for Millbay.
Back to top Go down

Fishing - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 5 EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 1:52 pm

seadog wrote:
Wanker, sounds good, I always press down the barbs on any hook I use, saves the fish and me.

Down there next week, after 15th, for Millbay.

So do I normally. lol! 
Have a good trip.
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

Fishing - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 5 EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 5:39 pm

Embarassed  I meant the ribster when I mentioned wanker.........
Back to top Go down

Fishing - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 5 EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 6:44 pm

Im going to go and fish burrator in the next few weeks,seen plenty of fat rainbows and brownies cruising around so i know they are there, been fishing it every summer for 3 years and yet to pull anything out, but you live and learn i suppose lol! 
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

Fishing - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 5 EmptyMon Jul 08, 2013 7:40 pm

I feel good omens for your trip!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fishing - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Fishing