The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Argyle want to extend Macdonald Loan

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Chemical Ali

Argyle want to extend Macdonald Loan Empty
PostSubject: Argyle want to extend Macdonald Loan   Argyle want to extend Macdonald Loan EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 9:09 am

Report in today's herald- why didn't they just do a normal loan last week when they had the chance?

Loan Extension

Quote :
MANAGER Carl Fletcher is keen on extending the loan spell of Burnley striker Alex MacDonald at Plymouth Argyle beyond the initial one month agreement.

MacDonald is scheduled to be with the Pilgrims until October 6, but Fletcher is already looking further ahead than that.

​Asked whether the loan could be extended beyond a month, Fletcher replied: "I would like to think so. If he keeps doing well then definitely, yes."

MacDonald, 22, made the first appearance of his second loan spell with Argyle in the 3-2 victory over Northampton Town at Home Park on Saturday.

He was sent on as a 34th minute substitute for the injured Paris Cowan-Hall.

MacDonald had signed for the Pilgrims the previous day, returning to the club he spent the final two months of last season with.

The versatility of the former Scotland under-21 international appeals to Fletcher.

He said: "You almost get four players in one with Macca. He can play in midfield, out wide, up front or off the front. It's a good option for us to have."

MacDonald re-signed for Argyle three days after playing against them for Burnley in a Capital One Cup second round tie at Turf Moor.

Fletcher thought about starting MacDonald on Saturday but as the new recruit had made the long trip from Lancashire to Plymouth on Thursday night he eventually decided against it.

He said: "I probably didn't think I would bring him on in the first half, but I wanted to have that freshness when I brought him on."

MacDonald was the one addition to the Pilgrims' squad before the transfer window closed on Friday.

Fletcher said: "There were lots of players we were looking at, and you ask people about them and you get different comments and opinions.

"You have your own opinions, but you like to find out as much as you can.

"With Macca, the main thing was we knew what we would get with him. You kind of minimise the risk a little bit.

"You know he's going to give 100 per cent, has got good technical ability and he's either going to create goals or score goals.

"The fact he wanted to come down as well, that was a big bonus for us."

Fletcher added: "He has not had a lot of game time (against Burnley). Last Tuesday was his first proper competitive game, but he will be fine."
Back to top Go down
Flat_Track_Bully

Flat_Track_Bully

PostSubject: Re: Argyle want to extend Macdonald Loan   Argyle want to extend Macdonald Loan EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 3:12 pm

Chemical Ali wrote:

Fletcher said: "There were lots of players we were looking at, and you ask people about them and you get different comments and opinions. You have your own opinions, but you like to find out as much as you can. With Macca, the main thing was we knew what we would get with him. You kind of minimise the risk a little bit".

Isn't that what a scouting network is for? Do we have a scouting network? We seem awfully reliant on players who have been here before, or players already known to the management.

It may be that the reason the initial loan was so short is that Burnley are maybe not so keen on him playing in L2.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sciencebrainwaves.com/
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: Argyle want to extend Macdonald Loan   Argyle want to extend Macdonald Loan EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 3:13 pm

He could have minimised the risk by not resigning Chadwick Feeney et al
Back to top Go down
GreenSam

PostSubject: Re: Argyle want to extend Macdonald Loan   Argyle want to extend Macdonald Loan EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 6:17 pm

He didn't re-sign Chadwick, he was signed initially until 2013. More's the pity.

I like Feeney but I can't help but think we may have done better with the budget that has been spent.
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: Argyle want to extend Macdonald Loan   Argyle want to extend Macdonald Loan EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 6:36 pm

My bad but the point remains. It's a total riddle why a summer clear out didn't take place when the risks of not doing so were staring him in the face.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle want to extend Macdonald Loan   Argyle want to extend Macdonald Loan EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 6:55 pm

In fairness to Feeney I feel a bit sorry for the man. It is not his game to pump a ball up to him and then expect something to happen. We can all see that from the stands yet that is what the tactics were up to second half Saturday. When Griffiths came on Feeney was released from this roll he can't do and scored within minutes. Not perhaps a coincidence. Not saying Feeney is the greatest or anything just that if you employ a player like him then you don't use him in that sort of roll. He doesn't lack effort. Chadwick is a different story altogether and I don't think those two should be lumped together.

MacDonald should have been signed for longer but I wonder if there was a need for some slack to be cut in the wage bill and it was not possible to guarantee this until Soukouna had been dispatched.
Back to top Go down
GreenWhiteBlack

GreenWhiteBlack

PostSubject: Re: Argyle want to extend Macdonald Loan   Argyle want to extend Macdonald Loan EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 7:19 pm

Feeney with a big man (Griff) up top is very very good at this level.

Very underestimated... dont judge him on the amount of goals he scores, so much more to his game than just that
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle want to extend Macdonald Loan   Argyle want to extend Macdonald Loan EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 7:28 pm

"Feeney........................very very good at this level" I don't think half a match is enough to say that but he did look more effective. If the partnership is continued then time will tell. Maybe he will turn out to be better than we have seen consistantly so far.
Back to top Go down
GreenWhiteBlack

GreenWhiteBlack

PostSubject: Re: Argyle want to extend Macdonald Loan   Argyle want to extend Macdonald Loan EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 7:42 pm

Im not basing it on half a match.. Im basing it on all the times ive seen him..

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle want to extend Macdonald Loan   Argyle want to extend Macdonald Loan EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 7:53 pm

Just because he runs around and works hard doesn't make him a "very very good" player. I don't know when you have been watching him but he hasn't looked that to me. And yes I know it is all about opinion. As I said previously I think they haven't played to his strengths as he isn't a target man. He needs to be released to do his game a few more times before I become impressed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle want to extend Macdonald Loan   Argyle want to extend Macdonald Loan EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 7:55 pm

I would think that having just given Mac a new contract that Burnley are looking to the future with him and want him to have some match experience rather than playing in the reserves and don't want him tied up to a longer loan in case they have injury or suspension problems.

Either that or Fletcher's a cnut for only getting a one month deal.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle want to extend Macdonald Loan   Argyle want to extend Macdonald Loan EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 9:09 pm

GreenWhiteBlack wrote:
Feeney with a big man (Griff) up top is very very good at this level.

Very underestimated... dont judge him on the amount of goals he scores, so much more to his game than just that

Like what? Doesn't score many goals, can't hold the ball up, not very skilful, not fast, not a good header of the ball.
Back to top Go down
GreenSam

PostSubject: Re: Argyle want to extend Macdonald Loan   Argyle want to extend Macdonald Loan EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 9:45 pm

The things I rate about Feeney:

1) I think he actually can hold the ball up well.
2) I think he's got a good eye for a pass, better than most of our side.
3) I think his technique and control off the ball, especially first touch is better than most of our attackers.
4) He's a good player to have when we're not in possesion. He's always in the other players face, often winning us a throw-in or possesion back.

Things bad about him:
1) Doesn't get into positions to score
2) Can't score when he does

I think he'd be more effective dropping deeper than a striker,
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle want to extend Macdonald Loan   Argyle want to extend Macdonald Loan EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 10:30 pm

Greensam.

1. He seldom gets it to hold up.
2. Control is ok but comparing with some we have isn't saying a lot.
3. Not sure about that one
4. Have I been mistaking him for somebody else?

Sorry but this isn't describing the player I see.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle want to extend Macdonald Loan   Argyle want to extend Macdonald Loan EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 10:48 pm

He's useless at holding the ball up. We never get anything off the second ball, it's either swallowed up the defender or comes off his body into touch. It's one of many reasons we don't create anything0
Back to top Go down
GreenSam

PostSubject: Re: Argyle want to extend Macdonald Loan   Argyle want to extend Macdonald Loan EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 1:29 am

1) True, as I've said his position can be very poor. He needs to get it more.
2) I think it's decent for this league actually, although that's his only atribute that really is.
3) I'm talking gibberish there. What I mean of course is technique on the ball. If he had technique off the ball that really would be something.
4) We'll have to disagree there. I think his work rate can be very useful to us at times, Saturday it certainly was a few times.
Back to top Go down
GreenWhiteBlack

GreenWhiteBlack

PostSubject: Re: Argyle want to extend Macdonald Loan   Argyle want to extend Macdonald Loan EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 9:37 am

Bogsider - exactly what GreenSam said, Maybe i exaggerated a tad when i said he was 'very, very good' but i really believe that he is so useful and so underrated.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle want to extend Macdonald Loan   Argyle want to extend Macdonald Loan EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 10:07 am

I'll concede if he got a bit more support up there, my opinion might change. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
GreenWhiteBlack

GreenWhiteBlack

PostSubject: Re: Argyle want to extend Macdonald Loan   Argyle want to extend Macdonald Loan EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 10:10 am

If the fireman stays fit then i think we will see an improved Feeney, heres to hoping!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle want to extend Macdonald Loan   Argyle want to extend Macdonald Loan EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 4:37 pm

Chemical Ali wrote:
Report in today's herald- why didn't they just do a normal loan last week when they had the chance?

Loan Extension

Quote :
MANAGER Carl Fletcher is keen on extending the loan spell of Burnley striker Alex MacDonald at Plymouth Argyle beyond the initial one month agreement.

MacDonald is scheduled to be with the Pilgrims until October 6, but Fletcher is already looking further ahead than that.

​Asked whether the loan could be extended beyond a month, Fletcher replied: "I would like to think so. If he keeps doing well then definitely, yes."

MacDonald, 22, made the first appearance of his second loan spell with Argyle in the 3-2 victory over Northampton Town at Home Park on Saturday.

He was sent on as a 34th minute substitute for the injured Paris Cowan-Hall.

MacDonald had signed for the Pilgrims the previous day, returning to the club he spent the final two months of last season with.

The versatility of the former Scotland under-21 international appeals to Fletcher.

He said: "You almost get four players in one with Macca. He can play in midfield, out wide, up front or off the front. It's a good option for us to have."

MacDonald re-signed for Argyle three days after playing against them for Burnley in a Capital One Cup second round tie at Turf Moor.

Fletcher thought about starting MacDonald on Saturday but as the new recruit had made the long trip from Lancashire to Plymouth on Thursday night he eventually decided against it.

He said: "I probably didn't think I would bring him on in the first half, but I wanted to have that freshness when I brought him on."

MacDonald was the one addition to the Pilgrims' squad before the transfer window closed on Friday.

Fletcher said: "There were lots of players we were looking at, and you ask people about them and you get different comments and opinions.

"You have your own opinions, but you like to find out as much as you can.

"With Macca, the main thing was we knew what we would get with him. You kind of minimise the risk a little bit.

"You know he's going to give 100 per cent, has got good technical ability and he's either going to create goals or score goals.

"The fact he wanted to come down as well, that was a big bonus for us."

Fletcher added: "He has not had a lot of game time (against Burnley). Last Tuesday was his first proper competitive game, but he will be fine."

well thanks to the wisdom of who ever negoicated this deal to be an emergency loan the max Fletcher could have MacDonald for is 92/93 days thats it until January where is he free to resign him on loan if required.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle want to extend Macdonald Loan   Argyle want to extend Macdonald Loan EmptyWed Sep 05, 2012 6:52 pm

That's what I said originally GreenWhiteBlack. When Griffiths came on and released him from the role he can't do he looked better.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Argyle want to extend Macdonald Loan   Argyle want to extend Macdonald Loan Empty

Back to top Go down

Argyle want to extend Macdonald Loan
Page 1 of 1