Laura Robson

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Greenskin

Greenskin

Laura Robson - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laura Robson   Laura Robson - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 9:39 pm

Greenjock wrote:
Renegade wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
charleymouse wrote:
So under that rule:

1.Someone with British grandparents but who was born and brought up in Italy could come back any time to play for Britain.

2. Someone who was born in Poland, for instance, but who came to Britain at six months old and was brought up there and decided to stay there as an adult couldn't represent Britain.

Is that right?

If you take the example of Joe Bugner,who came to England as a refugee from the Hungarian uprising in 1956 [he was also age 6 oddly enough] and held the British and Commonwealth heavyweight titles as a British citizen,then the answer to part two would seem to be no.

Joe Bugner i have actually meet and is an absolute cnut to put it politely very very rude to a waitress at a sports club i worked at to the point he almost got thrown out.

You beat me to it Renegade. He always came across as an absolute cock and my dad used to say he was the most hated British boxer ever for beating Henry Cooper and then living off of it for the next 10 years or so.

Maybe he was a cnut but he actually wasn't a bad boxer in a defensive sort of way.Anyone who could go the distance with Ali [twice] and Smokin' Joe had to be pretty good-he probably lacked the aggression and killer instinct needed to be a very top level contender but he was difficult for those guys to beat.He was never very popular though,mostly due to that Cooper fight,as you say-i think it's on Youtube,may watch it one day and refresh my memory-it was certainly a very controversial decision.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Laura Robson   Laura Robson - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 9:58 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
Renegade wrote:
Sir Francis Drake wrote:
On that basis we wouldn't be cheering Mo Farrah's 2 gold medals either. Utter nonsense.

He is half british

So I should only celebrate one of his two medals? Is that what you are saying?

I think it would be better to celebrate both of them, just not very much lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Laura Robson   Laura Robson - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 10:21 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Greenjock wrote:
Renegade wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
charleymouse wrote:
So under that rule:

1.Someone with British grandparents but who was born and brought up in Italy could come back any time to play for Britain.

2. Someone who was born in Poland, for instance, but who came to Britain at six months old and was brought up there and decided to stay there as an adult couldn't represent Britain.

Is that right?

If you take the example of Joe Bugner,who came to England as a refugee from the Hungarian uprising in 1956 [he was also age 6 oddly enough] and held the British and Commonwealth heavyweight titles as a British citizen,then the answer to part two would seem to be no.

Joe Bugner i have actually meet and is an absolute cnut to put it politely very very rude to a waitress at a sports club i worked at to the point he almost got thrown out.

You beat me to it Renegade. He always came across as an absolute cock and my dad used to say he was the most hated British boxer ever for beating Henry Cooper and then living off of it for the next 10 years or so.

Maybe he was a cnut but he actually wasn't a bad boxer in a defensive sort of way.Anyone who could go the distance with Ali [twice] and Smokin' Joe had to be pretty good-he probably lacked the aggression and killer instinct needed to be a very top level contender but he was difficult for those guys to beat.He was never very popular though,mostly due to that Cooper fight,as you say-i think it's on Youtube,may watch it one day and refresh my memory-it was certainly a very controversial decision.

Never really rated him to be honest he had a good defensive play which frustrated legends like Ali and Smokin Joe but he was a punchbag at the end of the day
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Laura Robson   Laura Robson - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 9:19 am

Anyway,she ain't gonna win the US open,lost 6-4,6-4.Never mind,good effort,better luck next year.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Laura Robson   Laura Robson - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 9:27 am

She had chances as well.

Wherever her passport says she's from she has an Olympic medal for GB and plays as a Brit, and on this week's evidence she has a bright future.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Laura Robson   Laura Robson - Page 2 EmptySat Sep 22, 2012 11:34 pm

Got to a WTA final, first brit since 1990.

Lost, though.

I hope she gets into the top 10 at some point by 2020.

So does my William Hill account.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Laura Robson   Laura Robson - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 23, 2012 8:16 am

Mock Cuncher wrote:
Got to a WTA final, first brit since 1990.

Lost, though.

I hope she gets into the top 10 at some point by 2020.

So does my William Hill account.

Should have won,3-0 up in the final set,seemed to freeze a bit,understandably so i guess.Should be a good stepping stone for her though,time is on her side.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Laura Robson   Laura Robson - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Laura Robson
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2