Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Greenskin

Greenskin

Laura Robson Empty
PostSubject: Laura Robson   Laura Robson EmptyFri Aug 31, 2012 6:45 pm

I don't watch much tennis these days but just caught the last few games of Laura Robson putting out the 9th seed at the US open,having already beaten 2 times champion Kim Clijsters in the previous round.I think she reached the Olympic final in the mixed doubles with Murray and won junior Wimbledon,she looks to have a good temperament and a very powerful game,one to watch in future.About time we had a decent ladies player,Jo Durie was probably the last truly top class one.I seem to remember quite a few good players coming from the Torqay area awhile back-Angela Mortimer,Sue Barker and Mike Sangster all hailed from the Torbay area.
Back to top Go down

Laura Robson Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laura Robson   Laura Robson EmptySat Sep 01, 2012 11:01 pm

she isnt really ours though is she both her parents are convicts and she was born there.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

Laura Robson Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laura Robson   Laura Robson EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 10:32 am

On that basis we wouldn't be cheering Mo Farrah's 2 gold medals either. Utter nonsense.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

Laura Robson Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laura Robson   Laura Robson EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 10:41 am

I can't stand Sue Barker.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

Laura Robson Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laura Robson   Laura Robson EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 10:43 am

But what I actually intended to write was a 'well done' on beating Li Na.

Another tough draw up next tho, Stosur is class if a bit hit and miss (adored Daan Under tho, you shoulda seen the tears when she exited the Aussie Open in Jan).
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Greenskin

Greenskin

Laura Robson Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laura Robson   Laura Robson EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 1:19 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
On that basis we wouldn't be cheering Mo Farrah's 2 gold medals either. Utter nonsense.

And John McEnroe was born in Germany,Colin Cowdrey in India,Ted Dexter in Milan etc,etc.She moved to this country at the age of 6 [after spending a few years in Singapore] and learnt her tennis here,that makes her a fair dinkum pom in my book,if you'll excuse the expression.
Back to top Go down

Laura Robson Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laura Robson   Laura Robson EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 1:45 pm

Greg Rusedski was always a Canadian in my eyes though. The Bruce Forsyth chinned tw@
Back to top Go down
pepsipete

pepsipete

Laura Robson Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laura Robson   Laura Robson EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 1:59 pm

Renegade wrote:
she isnt really ours though is she both her parents are convicts and she was born there.

If a dog is born in a stable, that does not make it a horse.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

Laura Robson Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laura Robson   Laura Robson EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 2:20 pm

[quote="Greenjock"]Greg Rusedski was always a Canadian in my eyes though. The Bruce Forsyth chinned tw@[/quote]

Welcome back GJ!

We have missed your pearls of wisdom. Very Happy

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

Laura Robson Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laura Robson   Laura Robson EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 3:14 pm

[quote="mouldyoldgoat"]
Greenjock wrote:
Greg Rusedski was always a Canadian in my eyes though. The Bruce Forsyth chinned tw@[/quote]

Welcome back GJ!

We have missed your pearls of wisdom. Very Happy

Why thank you Mouldy. I just tell it like I see it.
Back to top Go down

Laura Robson Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laura Robson   Laura Robson EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 3:48 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:

He is half british

Last edited by Renegade on Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

Laura Robson Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laura Robson   Laura Robson EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 3:49 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Sir Francis Drake wrote:

And John McEnroe was born in Germany,Colin Cowdrey in India,Ted Dexter in Milan etc,etc.She moved to this country at the age of 6 [after spending a few years in Singapore] and learnt her tennis here,that makes her a fair dinkum pom in my book,if you'll excuse the expression.

all of whom actually had their countries blood in their vain Laura Robson doesnt
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

Laura Robson Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laura Robson   Laura Robson EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 4:05 pm

Renegade wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
Sir Francis Drake wrote:

all of whom actually had their countries blood in their vain Laura Robson doesnt

lol! So Australians with very English sounding names have a different bloodline due to the fact that they live in a distant country? How far back would you go before their bloodline becomes Australian rather than English? For instance say if her grandparents emigrated there,would they have automatically had Australian blood coursing through their veins the moment they landed at Sydney airport?

Anyway,it doesn't matter a shit.As i said earlier,she learnt her tennis in England from the age of 6 and that is to the credit of this country,not Australia as far as i'm concerned.And for confirmation that she is regarded as English,it may be a good move to watch the match tonight or whenever it's being played and look at the captions-pound to a penny,they'll say L.Robson-England.End of.
Back to top Go down

Laura Robson Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laura Robson   Laura Robson EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 5:07 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Renegade wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
Sir Francis Drake wrote:

lol! So Australians with very English sounding names have a different bloodline due to the fact that they live in a distant country? How far back would you go before their bloodline becomes Australian rather than English? For instance say if her grandparents emigrated there,would they have automatically had Australian blood coursing through their veins the moment they landed at Sydney airport?

Anyway,it doesn't matter a shit.As i said earlier,she learnt her tennis in England from the age of 6 and that is to the credit of this country,not Australia as far as i'm concerned.And for confirmation that she is regarded as English,it may be a good move to watch the match tonight or whenever it's being played and look at the captions-pound to a penny,they'll say L.Robson-England.End of.

no

if your diatribe has no merit end of the day her passport says Australian end off!
Back to top Go down

Laura Robson Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laura Robson   Laura Robson EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 5:36 pm

Unlike you, I have never seen her passport. But I suspect she has dual nationality - I don't know.

Back to top Go down

Laura Robson Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laura Robson   Laura Robson EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 6:56 pm

knecht wrote:
Unlike you, I have never seen her passport. But I suspect she has dual nationality - I don't know.

Not for 5 years living i dont think t its much like the football thing play in Spain for 4 years you can play for Spain its a silly rule in my eyes.

My point is if you represent a country you should have some link to that country ie you were born there either/both parents or grandparents where born there then you can say i can represent that country.

Not if you moved to Spain lived there for 6 years and then can compete as a Spanish national on that basis even though you dont have maternal ties its just silly to me.

As for Laura Robson she is a future prospect i dont see her being a huge star in the game myself but certainly got the potential to be able to mix it with the big girls.
Back to top Go down

Laura Robson Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laura Robson   Laura Robson EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 8:36 pm

So under that rule:

1.Someone with British grandparents but who was born and brought up in Italy could come back any time to play for Britain.

2. Someone who was born in Poland, for instance, but who came to Britain at six months old and was brought up there and decided to stay there as an adult couldn't represent Britain.

Is that right?
Back to top Go down

Laura Robson Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laura Robson   Laura Robson EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 8:57 pm

charleymouse wrote:
So under that rule:

1.Someone with British grandparents but who was born and brought up in Italy could come back any time to play for Britain.

2. Someone who was born in Poland, for instance, but who came to Britain at six months old and was brought up there and decided to stay there as an adult couldn't represent Britain.

Is that right?

Both happen now
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

Laura Robson Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laura Robson   Laura Robson EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 9:19 pm

Surely there would also be the feelings of the persons concerned to take into account? How on earth could Laura Robson feel any cultural affinity to Australia when she moved from that country when she was 18 months old and was essentally brought up in England from the age of 6? I know that under those circumstances my own loyalty certainly wouldn't be to a country of which i had only a distant knowledge.Anyway,she has already represented GB and not Australia at the Olympics,which would give a reasonable indication of where her loyalties lie,i'd have thought.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

Laura Robson Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laura Robson   Laura Robson EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 9:24 pm

charleymouse wrote:
So under that rule:

Is that right?

If you take the example of Joe Bugner,who came to England as a refugee from the Hungarian uprising in 1956 [he was also age 6 oddly enough] and held the British and Commonwealth heavyweight titles as a British citizen,then the answer to part two would seem to be no.
Back to top Go down

Laura Robson Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laura Robson   Laura Robson EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 9:26 pm

Greenskin wrote:
charleymouse wrote:
So under that rule:

Is that right?

If you take the example of Joe Bugner,who came to England as a refugee from the Hungarian uprising in 1956 [he was also age 6 oddly enough] and held the British and Commonwealth heavyweight titles as a British citizen,then the answer to part two would seem to be no.

Joe Bugner i have actually meet and is an absolute cnut to put it politely very very rude to a waitress at a sports club i worked at to the point he almost got thrown out.

Back to top Go down

Laura Robson Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laura Robson   Laura Robson EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 9:30 pm

Renegade wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
charleymouse wrote:
So under that rule:

Is that right?

Joe Bugner i have actually meet and is an absolute cnut to put it politely very very rude to a waitress at a sports club i worked at to the point he almost got thrown out.

You beat me to it Renegade. He always came across as an absolute cock and my dad used to say he was the most hated British boxer ever for beating Henry Cooper and then living off of it for the next 10 years or so.
Back to top Go down

Laura Robson Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laura Robson   Laura Robson EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 9:30 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Surely there would also be the feelings of the persons concerned to take into account? How on earth could Laura Robson feel any cultural affinity to Australia when she moved from that country when she was 18 months old and was essentally brought up in England from the age of 6? I know that under those circumstances my own loyalty certainly wouldn't be to a country of which i had only a distant knowledge.Anyway,she has already represented GB and not Australia at the Olympics,which would give a reasonable indication of where her loyalties lie,i'd have thought.

We could ask the same about Owen Hargreaves born and raised in Canada became a star in Germany and played for England.

besides i'll accept now that i have seen that she has been here since 6 i was informed it was from 13 that she can pass for british on that grounds.
Back to top Go down

Laura Robson Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laura Robson   Laura Robson EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 9:32 pm

Greenjock wrote:
Renegade wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
charleymouse wrote:
So under that rule:

Is that right?

You beat me to it Renegade. He always came across as an absolute cock and my dad used to say he was the most hated British boxer ever for beating Henry Cooper and then living off of it for the next 10 years or so.

He threw a drink over that waitress because it was the wrong wine he got told to leave the club afterwards he was the guest aswell.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

Laura Robson Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laura Robson   Laura Robson EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 9:34 pm

Renegade wrote:
Sir Francis Drake wrote:

He is half british

So I should only celebrate one of his two medals? Is that what you are saying?
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Sponsored content

Laura Robson Empty
PostSubject: Re: Laura Robson   Laura Robson Empty

Back to top Go down

Laura Robson
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next