Greenskin
Tringreen
Chemical Ali
akagreengull
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

So is this a promotion team? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: So is this a promotion team?   So is this a promotion team? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 11:34 pm

Mock Cuncher wrote:
The Elite Janners most probably spoke a Southwestern Brythonic dialect similar to the forerunner of more recent Cornish and Breton. Irish immigrants, the Déisi, are evidenced by the Ogham-inscribed stones they have left behind, confirmed and supplemented by toponymical studies. The stones are sometimes inscribed in Latin, sometimes in both scripts. Tristram Risdon suggested the continuance of a Brythonic dialect in the South Hams, Devon, as late as the 14th century, in addition to its use in Cornwall.

Apart from fishing and agriculture, the main economic resource of the Elite Janners was tin mining. Tin extraction (mainly by streaming) had existed within the tribe from the early Bronze Age around the 22nd century BC.

Did they trust in Stapes though?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So is this a promotion team?   So is this a promotion team? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 11:37 pm

Were Argyle struggling though?
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: So is this a promotion team?   So is this a promotion team? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 11:42 pm

Mock Cuncher wrote:
The Elite Janners most probably spoke a Southwestern Brythonic dialect similar to the forerunner of more recent Cornish and Breton. Irish immigrants, the Déisi, are evidenced by the Ogham-inscribed stones they have left behind, confirmed and supplemented by toponymical studies. The stones are sometimes inscribed in Latin, sometimes in both scripts. Tristram Risdon suggested the continuance of a Brythonic dialect in the South Hams, Devon, as late as the 14th century, in addition to its use in Cornwall.

Apart from fishing and agriculture, the main economic resource of the Elite Janners was tin mining. Tin extraction (mainly by streaming) had existed within the tribe from the early Bronze Age around the 22nd century BC.

I was going to say that ! clown

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
GreenSam

PostSubject: Re: So is this a promotion team?   So is this a promotion team? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 2:37 am

Tringreen wrote:
Greenjock wrote:
Another issue could be that if Lecointe is given a run in the team and starts to score goals he will almost certainly be the target of higher league clubs, who apparently were looking at him last year.

We all know that from now on we have to sell our best young players eventually, but hopefully not before they have done their bit for us.

Also if Purse fancies Christmas off again and conveniently gets suspended, we do have a bit of a problem there.

How very dare you ! Ee's our mate and he bleeds green !
Oh come on, I'm not naive enough to think that it doesn't happen but look at the circumstances.

It was a rash mistimed tackle. Purse also travelled with the team to Bristol Rovers and Aldershot to coach. If you say that the tackle was deliberately designed to get him off (which would take a huge leap of imagination in itself, it'd be a miracle to execute) then it'd kind of defeat the object of having the Christmas games off if he, well goes to the Christmas games.

Just because something happens in a way that could be seen to be a conspiracy, doesn't make it a conspirtacy. No way did Purse get himself sent off on purpose.

I don't think this is a promotion team btw. I think we'll come 11th-give or take.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So is this a promotion team?   So is this a promotion team? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 6:24 am

GreenSam wrote:
Tringreen wrote:
Greenjock wrote:
Another issue could be that if Lecointe is given a run in the team and starts to score goals he will almost certainly be the target of higher league clubs, who apparently were looking at him last year.

We all know that from now on we have to sell our best young players eventually, but hopefully not before they have done their bit for us.

Also if Purse fancies Christmas off again and conveniently gets suspended, we do have a bit of a problem there.

Oh come on, I'm not naive enough to think that it doesn't happen but look at the circumstances.

It was a rash mistimed tackle. Purse also travelled with the team to Bristol Rovers and Aldershot to coach. If you say that the tackle was deliberately designed to get him off (which would take a huge leap of imagination in itself, it'd be a miracle to execute) then it'd kind of defeat the object of having the Christmas games off if he, well goes to the Christmas games.

Just because something happens in a way that could be seen to be a conspiracy, doesn't make it a conspirtacy. No way did Purse get himself sent off on purpose.

I don't think this is a promotion team btw. I think we'll come 11th-give or take.

You need to start taking things with a pinch of salt Sam. Not everything said in jest is accompanied by smilies.

I know you're quite young, but players getting suspended around Xmas was commonplace a few years back, particularly amongst the foreign players. It still happens tactically as well, with players and managers knowing what games they would be suspended for if they were to get booked in a certain game. Why risk getting suspended for a top, or bottom of the table clash, if you can get it out of the way against lesser opposition or in games that are not so important? Jose Mourinho and Real Madrid did exactly the same thing in the Champions League recently, with 3 players getting deliberately booked to get a suspension in a meaningless game, leaving them free of threat for an important game.

May not be morally right, but it sure as hell happens.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: So is this a promotion team?   So is this a promotion team? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 7:13 am

I fear that the one calling himself 'Sensible', is developing a complex.

Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: So is this a promotion team?   So is this a promotion team? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 12:44 pm

Greenjock wrote:
GreenSam wrote:
Tringreen wrote:
Greenjock wrote:

You need to start taking things with a pinch of salt Sam. Not everything said in jest is accompanied by smilies.

I know you're quite young, but players getting suspended around Xmas was commonplace a few years back, particularly amongst the foreign players. It still happens tactically as well, with players and managers knowing what games they would be suspended for if they were to get booked in a certain game. Why risk getting suspended for a top, or bottom of the table clash, if you can get it out of the way against lesser opposition or in games that are not so important? Jose Mourinho and Real Madrid did exactly the same thing in the Champions League recently, with 3 players getting deliberately booked to get a suspension in a meaningless game, leaving them free of threat for an important game.

Didn't our ex Super Laughing Loan Player Micky Quinn always get sent off around Cheltenham Races?
Back to top Go down
tcm

tcm

PostSubject: Re: So is this a promotion team?   So is this a promotion team? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 1:15 pm

ile go for a yes ,but please dont ask me to explain jock,gota big fat wad of cash on it,and its not even my cash lol,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So is this a promotion team?   So is this a promotion team? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 2:15 pm

Gambling with other people's money, eh? You really are a communist.
Back to top Go down
tcm

tcm

PostSubject: Re: So is this a promotion team?   So is this a promotion team? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 4:31 pm

[quote="charleymouse"]Gambling with other people's money, eh? You really are a communist.[/quote),softens the blow at bit lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So is this a promotion team?   So is this a promotion team? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 5:29 pm

charleymouse wrote:

Charley, unless I've missed something here, I think you'll find that's a Capitalist... have you been on the moon for the last 5 years.
Apart from Castro's much respected national health service, the only thing I can remember communists, or maybe more correctly state capitalists, doing with other people's money was get drunk on vodka, and build nuclear weapons. But to be fair to China, they like a good yomp, and now make all the tat we seem to want to buy. If that's a gamble, I would say it's paid off, and they did it with their own hard work against the odds.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So is this a promotion team?   So is this a promotion team? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 5:39 pm

The Chinese did it on the backs of the millions who died and were persecuted during the Long March, Mao's reign and the cultural revolution.

And I think Charley was making an ironic reference to tcm's avatar.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So is this a promotion team?   So is this a promotion team? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 5:41 pm

I was thinking more along the lines of communists taking money from unfortunate rich people and spending it. A bit tenuous perhaps but there you go...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So is this a promotion team?   So is this a promotion team? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 5:45 pm

charleymouse wrote:
I was thinking more along the lines of communists taking money from unfortunate rich people and spending it. A bit tenuous perhaps but there you go...

My apologies to Penz Smile

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So is this a promotion team?   So is this a promotion team? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 5:50 pm

Very Happy was he. I just thought I'd use the reference to even up a bit the Communist ideal.... there's a lot of good wrapped up in it, if done in the correct manner, like anything else.
As for the Yomp, I understood that as a revolution, when people die sadly, just as is happening in Syria as we speak. What about all those so many folk in this country who perished in the Civil war, forced to take sides purely on who their employer was ?
Most nation states have not too nice a record on the humanity front, nothing to do with communism. Stalin was a horror, so was Longshanks.... and don't start me of on the Enclosure acts or the Highland clearances

Edited to add:
there you go Knecht ... I was on the money... some folk don't do irony Laughing
Back to top Go down
GreenSam

PostSubject: Re: So is this a promotion team?   So is this a promotion team? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 6:49 pm

Greenjock wrote:
GreenSam wrote:
Tringreen wrote:
Greenjock wrote:

I'm not denying it happens. I just think the circumstances of the Purse case was unfortunate timing and by no means a genuine conspiracy.
Back to top Go down
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

PostSubject: Re: So is this a promotion team?   So is this a promotion team? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 11:02 pm

Of course it's a conspiracy. Everything at Home Park is these days. Very Happy

Anyway, promotion winning team? I think not. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if the next 4 or 5 seasons are spent lower to mid table - a re-run of the Hodges years. We have no money, an owner who won't spend money, a manager who wouldn't know how to spend it anyway and a team that smacks of mediocrity.

And I'm sad to say that the whole shambles really doesn't matter to me as much as it once did.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So is this a promotion team?   So is this a promotion team? - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 19, 2012 11:24 pm

We had the chance to have Sean O'Driscoll on board but dithered. The new mega-rich Notts Forest owners think he can do a job for them.

Maybe he'll give Carl a call and ask him to be his assistant, as he's such a great manager with so much potential. Maybe not though.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: So is this a promotion team?   So is this a promotion team? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 6:50 am

PlymptonPilgrim wrote:
Of course it's a conspiracy. Everything at Home Park is these days. Very Happy

Anyway, promotion winning team? I think not. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if the next 4 or 5 seasons are spent lower to mid table - a re-run of the Hodges years. We have no money, an owner who won't spend money, a manager who wouldn't know how to spend it anyway and a team that smacks of mediocrity.

And I'm sad to say that the whole shambles really doesn't matter to me as much as it once did.

Just about sums it up for me too PP. Having just read the jolly boys outing thread, a weekend in a caravan in Morecambe, with the coca cola drinking, scheming and gushingly keen superfans,plus Dave Banana, would be totally village No Geddon Windsor !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So is this a promotion team?   So is this a promotion team? - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 7:04 am

Penz wrote:
charleymouse wrote:

Charley, unless I've missed something here, I think you'll find that's a Capitalist... have you been on the moon for the last 5 years.
Apart from Castro's much respected national health service, the only thing I can remember communists, or maybe more correctly state capitalists, doing with other people's money was get drunk on vodka, and build nuclear weapons. But to be fair to China, they like a good yomp, and now make all the tat we seem to want to buy. If that's a gamble, I would say it's paid off, and they did it with their own hard work against the odds.
You forgot Stalins 5 yr plans. lol!

Much of the tat is now being manufactured in places like India as Chinese prices are rising as they develop a middle class. China spent much of their trade deficit buying up trillions of dollars of us debt which probably seemed liked a good idea at the time.
Back to top Go down
Sandford_Grecian

Sandford_Grecian

Location : Looking into the eyes of the beholder, and all I can see are £££££ signs :-)

PostSubject: Re: So is this a promotion team?   So is this a promotion team? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 3:24 pm

In one word = NO

I more than one word = No No No No No No lol!

and now I'll give 12 reasons why not, as all these will finish well clear of you & us

York City = the feel good factor will keep them high up the division all season

Wycombe = yo yo club, the Birmingham of the lower leagues, they'll be there or there abouts again, probable play off place

Torquay = expect them to be top 7 all season again, probable play off place at best though.

Southend = great lower league manager, been there done it, possible top 3 if one of the buy their way out's falter

Rotherham = will buy their way out this season, some great signings made close season

Port Vale = some very shrewd additions in the close season, money troubles though may see them falter, but still expect them to finish top 12.

[color=yellow]Oxford Utd = have kept most of squad & added wisely, probable play off Place[/color]

Northampton = will continue their climb they started end of last season, now have a shrewd head in charge too, & some good additions to squad

Gillingham = will improve on last seasons show, not many will take points at their place, and will shut up shop away from home this time around.

Fleetwood = see Rotherham, will be between these 2 as to who are crowned champions in May.

Chesterfield = will be the strongest of the 4 relegated clubs, expect them to become the new Wycombe.

Bristol Rovers - The West Country's best option for promotion, they won't choke like Torquay, possible 3rd place, expect that to be between them Chesterfield & Southend.

Last edited by Sandford_Grecian on Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/sandford_merlin

PostSubject: Re: So is this a promotion team?   So is this a promotion team? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 3:36 pm

My view:

Goalkeepers: we are fine in that department, two decent options.

Right back: Lets bloody well hope Berry is back for the season.

Centre backs: two decent options, but little back up.

Left back: Two very good options, strong in that position.

Right midfield: fair few options, fine there.

Centre mids: We never play the right combo, Wotton and Hourihane

Left mid: a few options

Strikers: WE ARE BLOODY USELESS!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So is this a promotion team?   So is this a promotion team? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 3:41 pm

If Nelson, as a back-up CH, replaces Blanchard he will do OK with Purse beside him as mentor.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So is this a promotion team?   So is this a promotion team? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 3:42 pm

knecht wrote:
If Nelson, as a back-up CH, replaces Blanchard he will do OK with Purse beside him as mentor.

Purse is my main concern this season however.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: So is this a promotion team?   So is this a promotion team? - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 4:08 pm

All the striker talk / doom & gloom seems to be about Griffiths, Lecointe, Feeney & Chadwick.
what has happened to this Cowan Hall character, wasn't he meant to be a decent striker ?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So is this a promotion team?   So is this a promotion team? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

So is this a promotion team?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next