Freathy
mouldyoldgoat
Mock Cuncher
Dougie
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Jamie Lowry signs - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jamie Lowry signs   Jamie Lowry signs - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 10:05 pm

Without the history of injury problems we would be applauding a signing like this, given where we lie currently, but he probably wouldn't be signing for us now if he hadn't had those injuries.

I also think it's another jack of all trades signing, under the heading of utility player, and yup we seem to like those at the moment, just like luggy did.

He deserves a chance though, and unless we ship a couple out, this is likely to be our squad now. That's a bit frightening but it's what we've got.
Back to top Go down
Coxside_Green

PostSubject: Re: Jamie Lowry signs   Jamie Lowry signs - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 10:10 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Think the reaction on here is over negative frankly,doesn't look a bad signing to me.Decent pedigree,played well for Crewe in their run to the play offs last year.Type of player that we need,can't really understand the bad vibes on this one.I guess it comes back to making your mind up early about Fletcher and being critical if the bloke as much as farts in the wrong place but prefer to judge him on merit myself and he looks to have done well here.

I don't think the bad vibes are necessarily aimed at Jamie. He'd be a decent addition to an established squad. We're lacking the established squad bit.

My main concern is it's just another gamble, a gamble on fitness which hasn't served us well in recent times. With Chadders already injury prone, Wotts and Pursey nearing the end of their careers, a squad littered with younger potentials who may or may not make it, should we really be adding more 'risk' as opposed to 'established proven players' to our already bloated squad?
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Jamie Lowry signs   Jamie Lowry signs - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 10:39 pm

Coxside_Green wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
Think the reaction on here is over negative frankly,doesn't look a bad signing to me.Decent pedigree,played well for Crewe in their run to the play offs last year.Type of player that we need,can't really understand the bad vibes on this one.I guess it comes back to making your mind up early about Fletcher and being critical if the bloke as much as farts in the wrong place but prefer to judge him on merit myself and he looks to have done well here.

I don't think the bad vibes are necessarily aimed at Jamie. He'd be a decent addition to an established squad. We're lacking the established squad bit.

My main concern is it's just another gamble, a gamble on fitness which hasn't served us well in recent times. With Chadders already injury prone, Wotts and Pursey nearing the end of their careers, a squad littered with younger potentials who may or may not make it, should we really be adding more 'risk' as opposed to 'established proven players' to our already bloated squad?

Actually i've done a bit more research since my last post and must admit that 20 games in the last two seasons isn't a terrific appearance record.Mmm,maybe i'll confine myself to wishing Jamie all the best in his Argyle career and hope that the injuries that have blighted his career do not resurface.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Jamie Lowry signs   Jamie Lowry signs - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 10:52 pm

Arch Stanton wrote:
He is a local lad to from Newquay.
Talk on the Farm that he turned down that lot up the road down for the opportunity to sign for Argo!
Typical farm endorsement for any new signing, as if that's any sort of yardstick.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Coxside_Green

PostSubject: Re: Jamie Lowry signs   Jamie Lowry signs - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 11:12 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Coxside_Green wrote:
Greenskin wrote:

Actually i've done a bit more research since my last post and must admit that 20 games in the last two seasons isn't a terrific appearance record.Mmm,maybe i'll confine myself to wishing Jamie all the best in his Argyle career and hope that the injuries that have blighted his career do not resurface.

That's all we can hope for. Let's hope the next batch of much needed signings are a bit more than hopeful (I'm getting sick of that word now).
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Jamie Lowry signs   Jamie Lowry signs - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 11:57 pm

We are riding our luck with signing this guy. Still you never know he might turn out to be the new midfielder of our dreams.

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jamie Lowry signs   Jamie Lowry signs - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 11:57 pm

Unless I've missed something, I'm not aware that he is 'injury prone'. He has once had a broken toe. And once had an anterior cruciate ligament injury. There is a question mark over how long-lasting the impact of that damage is. Otherwise he seems to be a good signing.

As has been said above - we have had signings who came with injury damage that finished them off but we also have signed 'injured' players who have done very good things.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Jamie Lowry signs   Jamie Lowry signs - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 11:59 pm

Like BWP. Bloody Charlton!

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Coxside_Green

PostSubject: Re: Jamie Lowry signs   Jamie Lowry signs - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 12:05 am

knecht wrote:
Unless I've missed something, I'm not aware that he is 'injury prone'. He has once had a broken toe. And once had an anterior cruciate ligament injury. There is a question mark over how long-lasting the impact of that damage is. Otherwise he seems to be a good signing.

As has been said above - we have had signings who came with injury damage that finished them off but we also have signed 'injured' players who have done very good things.

Care to name them?

Ever since Maxi left our record of signing injury prone players has been abysmal.

Edit.. I have to concede BWP whom we got a shit fee for, any others?
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Jamie Lowry signs   Jamie Lowry signs - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 12:08 am

errrrrr ummm BWP? Thats all I can remember!

Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Jamie Lowry signs   Jamie Lowry signs - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 12:10 am

Mpenza? Though he was only good for his bank balence and the hotel he stayed in !

Back to top Go down
Coxside_Green

PostSubject: Re: Jamie Lowry signs   Jamie Lowry signs - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 12:23 am

When Maxi was here I could give you Worrell, maybe McGlinchey, Stonebridge was always questionable? Those days are long gone. On top of that they added to a mostly fit & capable squad. I see Jamie as someone who is expected to add experience and become a 1st team regular, which is a complete gamble. If nothing more than being a squad player is being expected then we're heading for trouble with an already large squad with little quality.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jamie Lowry signs   Jamie Lowry signs - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 9:18 am

[quote="Arch Stanton"]He is a local lad to from Newquay.
Talk on the Farm that he turned down that lot up the road down for the opportunity to sign for Argo![/quote]

That's the way to do it, enter Sooty or Sweep picture here.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Jamie Lowry signs   Jamie Lowry signs - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 9:27 am

I'm not adverse to Argyle taking a bit of a gamble here or there - if a players level of ability merits the gamble.

It would appear that ability-wise, he is probably better than we could normally hope to sign. This is evened out by the calculated risk with having had a bad injury.

If it's a choice between someone who can definitely play at a higher level, but has a had a bad injury, or a fully fit player of much lower ability, I'd take the calculated risk more often than not.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jamie Lowry signs   Jamie Lowry signs - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 10:48 am

Do you not think that Argyle are taking too many risks though. They are gambling on a rookie manager coming good,they are gambling on the coaching staff,being able to turn the playing style around.they are gambling on players like Lennox,PCH and Le Cointe coming good,they are gambling on Chadders fitness and now Jamie Lowry and his fitness.It seems to me that everything is a bit of a gamble at the moment.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jamie Lowry signs   Jamie Lowry signs - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 10:49 am

[quote="Iggy"]
Arch Stanton wrote:
Talk on the Farm that he turned down that lot up the road down for the opportunity to sign for Argo![/quote]

Iggy, this is the way to do it

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Jamie Lowry signs   Jamie Lowry signs - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 11:11 am

oddball wrote:
Do you not think that Argyle are taking too many risks though. They are gambling on a rookie manager coming good,they are gambling on the coaching staff,being able to turn the playing style around.they are gambling on players like Lennox,PCH and Le Cointe coming good,they are gambling on Chadders fitness and now Jamie Lowry and his fitness.It seems to me that everything is a bit of a gamble at the moment.

Fair point Odders. For me though, far too many shite players have been retained, and I guess I just see it that if this fella's a step up in class, then he's genuinely worth the gamble.

A lot of the squad are going to be on peanuts relatively speaking, so on the financial side, they're not a burden.

There are just too many of them.
Back to top Go down
Flat_Track_Bully

Flat_Track_Bully

PostSubject: Re: Jamie Lowry signs   Jamie Lowry signs - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 12:24 pm

Hmm, released by one of our competitors in this league. He seemed to get decent reviews while he was a Crewe, although he left before their 19 match unbeaten run that got them promoted via the playoffs, so they obviously didn't miss him when he left, or managed to find a replacement who was better.

I suspect the key piece of information is that he plays in many positions, so he can be used as cover for Berry at RB, and as a replacement for the now departed Walton. As he's got a decent level of experience of first team football he should be a decent signing assuming he stays fit (in the sense that he may be better than what we currently have) but more will be needed if we are to get any higher than mid-table next season.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sciencebrainwaves.com/

PostSubject: Re: Jamie Lowry signs   Jamie Lowry signs - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 4:49 pm

Only played twenty games in two years because of injuries? if that not a desperate signing i dont know what is! still his experience in the few games he will be fit for might come in handy for our relegation "six pointers".
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jamie Lowry signs   Jamie Lowry signs - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 5:52 pm

[quote="The Red Star"]
Iggy wrote:
Arch Stanton wrote:

God it's embarrassing isn't it when you lot are showing more intent and ambition than we are? If Harry C. ran his hotel business like he runs Argyle it would be Fawlty Towers, without the laughs.
Option 3 needed now Harry.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jamie Lowry signs   Jamie Lowry signs - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 8:05 pm

[quote="Iggy"]
The Red Star wrote:
Iggy wrote:
Arch Stanton wrote:

God it's embarrassing isn't it when you lot are showing more intent and ambition than we are? If Harry C. ran his hotel business like he runs Argyle it would be Fawlty Towers, without the laughs.

Just the difference in the managers experience I think.

Iggy, your Club was near extinct, it needs to rebuild slowly very slowly. fletcher isn't the right person long term, but he appears a safe pair of hands for now. Brent is shrewd here I think. He cannot be seen to plough millions into the Club, that would not be right at this point but he must show ambition and I think he is.

Who knows you could make the play offs and sneak up to League 1, what would be wrong with that? The HMRC are watching Argyle and so Argyle need to do all the right things and that means no big buys, no irrational pronouncements from your board and taking things slowly...you don't want to suffer Portsmouth's fate.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jamie Lowry signs   Jamie Lowry signs - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 11:50 pm

[quote="The Red Star"]
Iggy wrote:
The Red Star wrote:
Iggy wrote:
Arch Stanton wrote:

Just the difference in the managers experience I think.

Iggy, your Club was near extinct, it needs to rebuild slowly very slowly. fletcher isn't the right person long term, but he appears a safe pair of hands for now. Brent is shrewd here I think. He cannot be seen to plough millions into the Club, that would not be right at this point but he must show ambition and I think he is.

Who knows you could make the play offs and sneak up to League 1, what would be wrong with that? The HMRC are watching Argyle and so Argyle need to do all the right things and that means no big buys, no irrational pronouncements from your board and taking things slowly...you don't want to suffer Portsmouth's fate.

No of course I don't, I also don't want to be embarrassed by clubs that have half the turnover that we do. I don't want to stagnate in the lower leagues, we get injuries to Purse, Wotton, Chadwick (who is always injured anyway) Walton, then we have no spine, yes we have a squad of 23 players but most of them are young or not good enough. Our two best attacking players (bar Young) have gone back to their parent clubs and we can't score goals. We could get some free players, we could get loan players, we could buy someone for £70k like Torquay did, but no, lets play safe, lets pay the staff, lets have a fanfest, anybody want to buy my shirt?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jamie Lowry signs   Jamie Lowry signs - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 11:53 pm

BINGO
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jamie Lowry signs   Jamie Lowry signs - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Jamie Lowry signs
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2