Rugger/Albion

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

Rugger/Albion Empty
PostSubject: Rugger/Albion   Rugger/Albion EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 10:29 pm

Chaps, has anyone ever taken more than a passing interest in Albion?

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
pepsipete

pepsipete

Rugger/Albion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rugger/Albion   Rugger/Albion EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 10:44 pm

Yes me. I was very interested when Union table's were established (not allowed to say league) and had hopes that Albion would reach the top level under Graham Dawe. Like Argyle they under performed and have been surpassed by Exeter.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

Rugger/Albion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rugger/Albion   Rugger/Albion EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 7:43 am

I do very occasionally go to Albion but only for 'big' matches. I always made a point of going v Exeter Chiefs.
Back to top Go down

Rugger/Albion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rugger/Albion   Rugger/Albion EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 7:51 am

When I was in Plymouth I would always attend Albion if they were at home and Argyle were away. The rise through the leagues with Dawe was pretty good but I think they have stalled on the playing front now, and unless they change things they could fade away quite easily.

Albion have always been considered a potential premiership side by the RFU as they are one of the best supported teams outside of the top division. I think they have missed the boat now as the top sides are looking at crowds of 20,000. If Albion had taken their chance 5 years ago I think they would be an established premiership team. But it was a case of the same old Plymouth story and you only have to look at the mob up the road to see what a bit of investment brings.
Back to top Go down

Rugger/Albion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rugger/Albion   Rugger/Albion EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 8:14 am

Albion definitely missed their chance in the early days of Dawe. I've never bothered with Albion as 'my club' are Penzance/Newlyn, and also have small loyalties to the old Argaum that I used to turn out for on occasion to keep fit. Also, Albion's strip is awful.

I'm going to miss the greasepaint at HP, as Ridsdale is a no no for me after what he has concocted, so may well give the Pirates a go for a couple of games, although I won't pay if they try to push the price over £15. I was a regular fan as a youngster and have fond shared family memories similar to the Argyle bond. They're a big club with a big tradition.
Back to top Go down

Rugger/Albion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rugger/Albion   Rugger/Albion EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 8:24 am

penzancepirate wrote:
Albion definitely missed their chance in the early days of Dawe. I've never bothered with Albion as 'my club' are Penzance/Newlyn, and also have small loyalties to the old Argaum that I used to turn out for on occasion to keep fit. Also, Albion's strip is awful.

I'm going to miss the greasepaint at HP, as Ridsdale is a no no for me after what he has concocted, so may well give the Pirates a go for a couple of games, although I won't pay if they try to push the price over £15. I was a regular fan as a youngster and have fond shared family memories similar to the Argyle bond. They're a big club with a big tradition.

Do you think the Pirates will get into the Premiership? The RFU would love to the have a cornish side in the top division. Will they ever get a ground good enough?
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

Rugger/Albion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rugger/Albion   Rugger/Albion EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 9:35 am

My tip for the top is Jersey. There is cash backed ambition evident as they rise through the leagues. They now have reached a level where they have to pay travelling expenses for their opponents at home matches and they're doing it.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

Rugger/Albion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rugger/Albion   Rugger/Albion EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 9:48 am

This talk of Albion missing the boat so to speak, I'm not sure I go along with it. Rugby Union is such a new sport in terms of the league structure that if Albion made a real push any time in the next 5-10 years and did a 'Chiefs' then it certainly isn't too late to become established. Looking at the clubs in the Premiership, Exeter, Gloucester, Worcester, Northampton...is there any reason that Albion couldn't be as big as these? People talk about Argyle's potential to be a Soton, Hull sized club in football. Albion have the potential to be the equivalent of a Spurs/Everton if they ever grasp it!

If Albion played at, say, Home Park. What sized crowds do you think they would attract for games against Leicester or Bath?
Back to top Go down

Rugger/Albion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rugger/Albion   Rugger/Albion EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 10:19 am

Mock Cuncher wrote:
This talk of Albion missing the boat so to speak, I'm not sure I go along with it. Rugby Union is such a new sport in terms of the league structure that if Albion made a real push any time in the next 5-10 years and did a 'Chiefs' then it certainly isn't too late to become established. Looking at the clubs in the Premiership, Exeter, Gloucester, Worcester, Northampton...is there any reason that Albion couldn't be as big as these? People talk about Argyle's potential to be a Soton, Hull sized club in football. Albion have the potential to be the equivalent of a Spurs/Everton if they ever grasp it!

If Albion played at, say, Home Park. What sized crowds do you think they would attract for games against Leicester or Bath?

I have heard from Albion insiders that they are relatively content with the status quo at the moment because they are developing the infrastructure of the club and will be well placed in the future. They did not have their ground "graded" for promotion this year but I think they were confident that Brickfields would have passed if needed.

I think you are right about Albion's potential. Exeter have attracted decent crowds from nothing (other then a bit of success and a new ground). If top level rugby was being played at HP with England stars in the opposition (or even playing for Albion), then the crowds would come.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

Rugger/Albion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rugger/Albion   Rugger/Albion EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 10:31 am

Frank Bullitt wrote:

I have heard from Albion insiders
You sound like Ponty. Laughing

I think rugger is about to kick off as a club sport in Europe. The Heineken Cup is a fantastic tournament and has really improved the quality of the domestic game in England. If I won the Euromillions then I would see Albion as a much better buy than Argyle.

People often look at Argyle in terms of the footballing world and lament that we're not in and around the 'hotbeds' of football in the North West, London etc. Albion on the other hand are within the hotbed of rugby. Right next to Cornwall, which is arguably rugby's proudest county, Devon itself isn't exactly new to rugby, and Plymouth is the only real cosmopolitan place in that area! Just because Plymouth itself isn't rugby mad, it doesn't mean it couldn't be, especially if there were regular visits from decent sides. Like Freathy I've been to games vs Chiefs and also when Harlequins came to town. These felt big time, in a different way when Sunderland and Leeds came to visit plucky Argyle.
Back to top Go down

Rugger/Albion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rugger/Albion   Rugger/Albion EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 10:45 am

The Pirates have had similar land problems as Argyle with developers trying to bulldoze their way into a park which has resulted in what in effect was a trial run at a franchise within Rugby Union. One of the things that has saddened me about many Argyle Aviva types is how they would welcome anything to HP if it meant their team benefiting, including the franchising of the Pirates to Plymouth ... how unbelievably selfish some folk are and I can't imagine these same people would be best pleased if Argyle were to be franchised up the M5. Of course, that particular Pirate thing would never move out of Cornwall thankfully.

Looks like The Pirates future may be in the hands of Heaney and Truro, but the Mennaye in Penzance would still be the best bet for progression. If the Brickfields can qualify for the Premiership, I'm sure the Mennaye could qualify with a new stand where the existing car park is.... it's a lovely ground ... as is the Brickfieds in some ways.
As to whether the team could be good enough, ... quite possibly... as the Pirates are historically very, very well supported, far better than Albion, Exeter or even the likes of Wasps. I do wish the RFU would ignore the English football model and take a leaf out of the NFL book and go for the intra League subsidies that works so well in America... that money would allow the faciliies needed to be built, as there is little money down West for that sort of development.

Still, I won't be disappointed if they don't make it... sport is similar to the theatre and the Arts, 'lower level' live entertainment is often superior to the headline acts where mainly talent purists, geeks and 'Colliseum' tarts are satisfied.

Last edited by penzancepirate on Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:48 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

Rugger/Albion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rugger/Albion   Rugger/Albion EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 10:46 am

Mock Cuncher wrote:
Frank Bullitt wrote:

I have heard from Albion insiders
You sound like Ponty. Laughing

I think rugger is about to kick off as a club sport in Europe. The Heineken Cup is a fantastic tournament and has really improved the quality of the domestic game in England. If I won the Euromillions then I would see Albion as a much better buy than Argyle.

People often look at Argyle in terms of the footballing world and lament that we're not in and around the 'hotbeds' of football in the North West, London etc. Albion on the other hand are within the hotbed of rugby. Right next to Cornwall, which is arguably rugby's proudest county, Devon itself isn't exactly new to rugby, and Plymouth is the only real cosmopolitan place in that area! Just because Plymouth itself isn't rugby mad, it doesn't mean it couldn't be, especially if there were regular visits from decent sides. Like Freathy I've been to games vs Chiefs and also when Harlequins came to town. These felt big time, in a different way when Sunderland and Leeds came to visit plucky Argyle.

Of all the insults you could have chosen Crying or Very sad

Back to top Go down

Rugger/Albion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rugger/Albion   Rugger/Albion EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 12:04 pm

I'll be choosing Albion over Argyle this season, unless a miracle of sorts occurs and Argyle somehow manage to get their act together. I also follow the club I once played for and I will also be taking more time out supporting them then at HP.

I would love to see rugby dominated by the west country with Albion, Bristol, Bath, Exeter and the Pirates etc. all up there! Maybe one day!
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

Rugger/Albion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rugger/Albion   Rugger/Albion EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 1:38 pm

Youuum naaat praaaper fans ! Bleddy egg chasers aint never playing at Home Park or my name's not Pink Curtains !
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Rugger/Albion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rugger/Albion   Rugger/Albion Empty

Back to top Go down

Rugger/Albion
Page 1 of 1