The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Tributes paid to former captain

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Chemical Ali

Tributes paid to former captain Empty
PostSubject: Tributes paid to former captain   Tributes paid to former captain EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 8:16 am

When I opened the link I thought one of our past players had died, but this is a Herald story based on player tweets to Simon Walton (I think this should probably go in the irrelevant Herald stories thread)-

Tributes to Walton (who isn't dead)
Back to top Go down
Flat_Track_Bully

Flat_Track_Bully

PostSubject: Re: Tributes paid to former captain   Tributes paid to former captain EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 8:32 am

Chemical Ali wrote:
When I opened the link I thought one of our past players had died, but this is a Herald story based on player tweets to Simon Walton (I think this should probably go in the irrelevant Herald stories thread)-

So some journalist who follows Walton on Twitter has copied down some tweets and turned them into a 'news' article... and people wonder why regional papers are in trouble!
Back to top Go down
http://www.sciencebrainwaves.com/

PostSubject: Re: Tributes paid to former captain   Tributes paid to former captain EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 8:48 am

Does anybody actually still buy that arse wiping material?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tributes paid to former captain   Tributes paid to former captain EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 9:36 am

Flat_Track_Bully wrote:
Chemical Ali wrote:

So some journalist who follows Walton on Twitter has copied down some tweets and turned them into a 'news' article... and people wonder why regional papers are in trouble!

I think thats a bit harsh FTB.

The journos concerned have space to fill, that is their job. In this case most people Im guessing who buy the Herald do not follow all the players on Twitter nor know ho many felt about Simon Walton, in fact Jordon Copps tweet was most telling. Lets not also forget the Fomums like ATD and Pasoti thrive on news stories for new threads, in fact this is the second Herald story Ali has converted into threads today.

And finally, you put your unknowing finger on the crux of the mattter. We are all reading this story online, it has not cost us anything, (so should we be so ungrateful?) and yet fewer people actually buy the paper, in many cases because they have already done so online. It would be interesting to know how sales of the Sunday Inde do without having an online copy.
Back to top Go down
Flat_Track_Bully

Flat_Track_Bully

PostSubject: Re: Tributes paid to former captain   Tributes paid to former captain EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 12:41 pm

tonycholwell wrote:
Flat_Track_Bully wrote:
Chemical Ali wrote:

The journos concerned have space to fill, that is their job. In this case most people Im guessing who buy the Herald do not follow all the players on Twitter nor know ho many felt about Simon Walton, in fact Jordon Copps tweet was most telling. Lets not also forget the Fomums like ATD and Pasoti thrive on news stories for new threads, in fact this is the second Herald story Ali has converted into threads today.

And there was me thinking journalists were supposed to report news. But that's just what this article is; space filling. Whether readers follow Walton on twitter, or know of the tweets isn't really the point. The point it that such information isn't really of any interest or use. If they need to fill space, then you would hope they could find something better than this.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sciencebrainwaves.com/

PostSubject: Re: Tributes paid to former captain   Tributes paid to former captain EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 3:08 pm

Flat_Track_Bully wrote:
tonycholwell wrote:
Flat_Track_Bully wrote:
Chemical Ali wrote:

And there was me thinking journalists were supposed to report news. But that's just what this article is; space filling. Whether readers follow Walton on twitter, or know of the tweets isn't really the point. The point it that such information isn't really of any interest or use. If they need to fill space, then you would hope they could find something better than this.

I think that during the close season when nothing much happens anyway and Chris Errington et al still have a task to fill space which in turn sells advertising its difficult 6 days a week.

When that "news" is then given away for free on the online version its difficult to complain and say you want better. Journos dont report news if there is no news to reporrt, hence tthey do fillers, its the way of the world.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tributes paid to former captain   Tributes paid to former captain Empty

Back to top Go down

Tributes paid to former captain
Page 1 of 1