Jon L
Tgwu
shonbo
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage

Fanfests Empty
PostSubject: Fanfests   Fanfests EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 5:27 pm

Does anybody on here actually attend the fanfests? I thought they were just gatherings of replica shirt clad fans having a few beers and a pasty, whilst splitting their sides at Rick O'Shay's routine.

After all of the revelations of the last 24 hours, and because it transpired that this is where Wozzer approached Ian Newell, that man crops up everywhere, about posting as Deepthroat, it seems that these gatherings are like some secret society meeting place, or the back room at Badda Bing.

Can anyone make a deal or conduct business there? Or do these people have to approach Tony Mafiosi with their propostion and he takes his payment for the mob? Wonder what the going rate is for ordering a hit, or putting a tail on some punk for taking liberties?
Back to top Go down

Fanfests Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fanfests   Fanfests EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 5:36 pm

GJ...I went to every fans fest last season,they were tremendously popular,and were packed out,every time. You were like sardines as it was standing room only.In fact you had to get there at midday when it opened to get a seat.They were as you say gatherings of replica shirt fans having a few beers and pasties and enjoying some very good entertainment from Rick & Dave.Not the sort of place you could have clandestine gatherings,completely the opposite in fact.
Back to top Go down
shonbo

shonbo

Fanfests Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fanfests   Fanfests EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 5:48 pm

I went to the Aldershot one with my 18yo son. Had a thoroughly good time .
Back to top Go down

Fanfests Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fanfests   Fanfests EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 5:51 pm

So where does all the shady business take place? Is there a top table which is invite only or something?
Back to top Go down

Fanfests Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fanfests   Fanfests EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 6:00 pm

Greenjock wrote:
So where does all the shady business take place? Is there a top table which is invite only or something?

Jock, its a while since you went to HP?Smile

Back to top Go down
shonbo

shonbo

Fanfests Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fanfests   Fanfests EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 6:02 pm

Dunno, but having driven 3 and half hours to get there, in the pouring rain, twas all very pleasant. Certainly more entertaining than the match and the blooming 5 and half hour journey back.
Back to top Go down

Fanfests Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fanfests   Fanfests EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 6:07 pm

I've been to one and it was good fun with good beer and pasty.
Back to top Go down

Fanfests Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fanfests   Fanfests EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 6:13 pm

Well it's where Wozzer casually approached Tony, sorry Ian Newell for the Deepthroat account details, and where Tony Maf, I mean Ian Newell approached Dane to see if he wanted to take part in the ADT spoof site.

I expect Windsor Boy and the other aliases frequent them, as do some Pasoti mods, so I doubt they're all talking about the quality of the pasties.

For an Investigator, you sure don't keep your ear to the ground very well Tony lol!
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

Fanfests Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fanfests   Fanfests EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 6:38 pm

knecht wrote:
I've been to one and it was good fun with good beer and pasty.

I went to one, they have ran out of beer and pasties before I arrived, The puppets and the other aliases meeting place is between the toilets and the beer lockup.
Back to top Go down

Fanfests Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fanfests   Fanfests EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 6:59 pm

Greenjock wrote:
Well it's where Wozzer casually approached Tony, sorry Ian Newell for the Deepthroat account details, and where Tony Maf, I mean Ian Newell approached Dane to see if he wanted to take part in the ADT spoof site.

I expect Windsor Boy and the other aliases frequent them, as do some Pasoti mods, so I doubt they're all talking about the quality of the pasties.

For an Investigator, you sure don't keep your ear to the ground very well Tony lol!

I thought Ian Newell did all his dirty dealing at Norbert Dentressangle
Back to top Go down
Jon L

Fanfests Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fanfests   Fanfests EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 7:02 pm

I went to one, season before last.

It reminded me of the bar scene in the original Star Wars film.
Back to top Go down

Fanfests Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fanfests   Fanfests EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 7:06 pm

It's not pretty Jock, all the jogging bellies wobbling out of the car park at a quarter to three for their seat in the Lyndhurst... ill-fitting shirts everywhere.
They certainly are not my thing, and being a proper festival sort of person, I resent every day human actions being called a fest these days ... I really do ... festivals are supposed to be special seasonal celebrations, not everyday clocking into a pub..

But, as I have always said, someone needed to show the club how to lay on something that quite a few fans actually have always wanted, and it's nice to see a grass roots thing survive despite Ridsdale's reported desire to get rid of them. It's extra money to the club and they have always missed out on that trick, a proper public 'bar' that was never taken away from the grandstandees. Better fill the pockets of the club than some pub chain. And the events can't be any worse than the pasty morgue under the Lyndhurst or that rather inexplicable empty beer tent of Campbell's up by the Far post with the tinned Tribute. I tried that a couple of times.... pointless.
Back to top Go down
shonbo

shonbo

Fanfests Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fanfests   Fanfests EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 7:07 pm

Jon L wrote:

I don't remember seeing Han Solo with a pasty in his hand, although this bloke looks familiar...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Back to top Go down

Fanfests Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fanfests   Fanfests EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 7:10 pm

Tgwu wrote:
The puppets and the other aliases meeting place is between the toilets and the beer lockup.

Mmm ... classy!
Back to top Go down
Jon L

Fanfests Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fanfests   Fanfests EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 7:14 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

Fanfests Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fanfests   Fanfests EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 7:18 pm

The Red Star wrote:

I thought Ian Newell did all his dirty dealing at Norbert Dentressangle
How spooky. I remember seeing the three amigos holding a meeting at Norbiton railway station after the away Wimbledon game. Jeez, they looked miserable, and the wrong side of the tracks too...... and we'd won.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Fanfests Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fanfests   Fanfests EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 7:36 pm

Jon L wrote:

Fu(king brilliant. Laughing
Back to top Go down

Fanfests Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fanfests   Fanfests EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 8:08 pm

Jon L wrote:

lol!

I actually think they're a good idea, and like Penz says, the money spent in them is better going to the club than some Wetherspoons shithole.

My beef is wit da boys who are playing at being dirty rats at them. Buncha wise guys.
Back to top Go down

Fanfests Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fanfests   Fanfests EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 8:24 pm

If I remember rightly, a bar will be in the plans for the new grandstand and its running will be handed over to the GTs, I think.
Back to top Go down

Fanfests Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fanfests   Fanfests EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 8:29 pm

Jabba the Nool. they saved a fortune in make up when nobber got the part!
Back to top Go down

Fanfests Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fanfests   Fanfests EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 8:32 pm

Greenjock wrote:

Trust me I do:)

Since the Tent has been extended it can now hold about 200 people, thats sitters and standers. For most people they want to catch up with their friends, its a place for opposition fans to chat and have a good time, its about having a laugh a pint and a pasty.

If you do go in your trilby and trench coat, best to check out the section outside the entrance and before you fall into the toilets; lots of smokers, including people you know. However, also best to debunk a few myths; Ive never seen the Mods from N America or Australasia there, nor indeed Mark Pedlar, Ponty does when he is down as he has lots of friends who organise the FF. Some of the Mods I dont know by sight, so not sure if they are there or not:)

Inside, the London Branch tend to always have a table and LG always appears to take a whole table up!

Most people really enjoy thenselves, more often, more than they do the football!
Back to top Go down

Fanfests Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fanfests   Fanfests EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 8:35 pm

Apparently so, and of course, no problem. But then we get into other areas, and what sort of activity is suitable for a park.24/7, and I wonder if there will be a GT/community cover for a bit of a planning wheeze.
I'm all for a match day bar, and a stadium Far Post, but where does everything morph into a busy 24/7 Mutley style drinking hole ? ... and what will be the licensing agreements for a mini sports arena that actually could make more profit being a music venue as well, should harry Corbett decide to shut his refurbished Pavillions after a year ? Before you know it, there's half a Warner village in a park. Do you see where I'm going ?
In the end, city residents will have to rely on PCC to do the right thing. Must get in touch with Tudor.

I was encouraged Harry was planning to put much of the crap down Milbay way, far better than the Todd horror plans, but it's all in the detail.
Back to top Go down

Fanfests Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fanfests   Fanfests EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 8:46 pm

I once checked out the fan-fest..... after being told there were no tickets left i managed a quick glance inside, it was like a mixture of Avivas, Oap,s, and young kids like Cobi..."not my cup of tea at all and thank god there was no tickets"just a few thoughts that went through my mind as i scuttled back to the Blockhouse.
Back to top Go down

Fanfests Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fanfests   Fanfests EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 8:47 pm

Penz wrote:
Apparently so, and of course, no problem. But then we get into other areas, and what sort of activity is suitable for a park.24/7, and I wonder if there will be a GT/community cover for a bit of a planning wheeze.
I'm all for a match day bar, and a stadium Far Post, but where does everything morph into a busy 24/7 Mutley style drinking hole ? ... and what will be the licensing agreements for a mini sports arena that actually could make more profit being a music venue as well, should harry Corbett decide to shut his refurbished Pavillions after a year ? Before you know it, there's half a Warner village in a park. Do you see where I'm going ?
In the end, city residents will have to rely on PCC to do the right thing. Must get in touch with Tudor.

I was encouraged Harry was planning to put much of the crap down Milbay way, far better than the Todd horror plans, but it's all in the detail.

As someone who has not lived in the City for 27 years its probably not right to talk about the wider planning issues, either beyond the boundaries of the old Club or down in Millbay. But it is clear that Argyle need to generate significantly more income than they have had the capacity to in the past. That being so, what I believe will be the GT Suite will clearly open for longer than a couple of hours on matchdays. But in the same way, there is no reason why a restaurant shouldnt also be working at a different level but with the same objective. This is what modern clubs do and why they spend decent money on getting better than decent facilities.

The aim has to be to strengthen revenues to make the club more viable.
Back to top Go down

Fanfests Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fanfests   Fanfests EmptySun Jul 08, 2012 9:03 pm

Well, it's not up to Argyle, because 'they' have just decided they couldn't afford the upkeep of the property and sold tthe property back to the Council, who will now as landlords have the responsiblity of completing th stadium along with the building plans of the neighbours next door, one Harry Corbett.
In the end there is an area action plan, and it is a valued park. Care has to be taken, and I'm sure many residents will be on the ball watching every turn.
I always liked Harry's comments on the Area action plan more than that Heeney character, but that doesn't mean his ideas are neccessarily acceptable.
I've had this discussion for years with Baba, there is no way the odd extra 200K profit pa is going to make a jot of difference to the football success. Far more is at stake with TV money just by gaining promotion. It's a false argument, especially now little of any new facilities will be owned by the club ... they will be owned by Harry's pension as he called it, and I'm not in the business of cheering on a rich man's pension fund..
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fanfests Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fanfests   Fanfests Empty

Back to top Go down

Fanfests
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next