The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Back to training this week?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Coxside_Green

Back to training this week? Empty
PostSubject: Back to training this week?   Back to training this week? EmptyTue Jul 03, 2012 10:38 am

I think I read somewhere the players are back 5th July?. Is it worth it?

Last season, amongst the excuses for our poor season was lack of pre-season training and the late arrivals not having time to gel with the existing squad, given where we were it was difficult to disagree. That said, we've been hearing the same excuses for the last few years and it's now looking likely we'll be hearing them again this coming season.

Up until now I've been patient with our lack of transfer activity, contracts dont expire until 30th June, players still on holiday blah blah blah. Well it's 3rd July now and it's just typical business as usual, the same business which has helped us fall down the leagues over the last few years. More out of hope than expectation, I was really hoping the club would unveil a signing or 2 either Sunday or yesterday, ready to join up and start training this week. I guess there's still time yet but looking unlikely.

Since our last promotion in 2003, I can only recall 2 seasons where the team started the season reasonably well, the first being our 1st season back in the 2nd tier when our championship-winning squad carried on where they left off (we fell away later when BW chopped and changed things a bit too much) and the last was Holloway's final (part) season before he left (despite the lack of transfer activity that summer we did make Halmosi & Timar permanent). Every other season has seen the same old excuses trotted out, the new (late) arrivals need time to gel, we'll improve when the loan window opens etc

The whole point of pre-season is to get fit, for new players to bond with existing players and the manager/coaches implementing some new ideas with the new squad. If I was an Argyle player (without being a supporter obviously), I think I'd be tempted to take an extended holiday until some new players arrived. Aside from fitness work, what else can they really do?.

Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Back to training this week?   Back to training this week? EmptyTue Jul 03, 2012 10:42 am

Coxside_Green wrote:
I think I read somewhere the players are back 5th July?. Is it worth it?

Last season, amongst the excuses for our poor season was lack of pre-season training and the late arrivals not having time to gel with the existing squad, given where we were it was difficult to disagree. That said, we've been hearing the same excuses for the last few years and it's now looking likely we'll be hearing them again this coming season.

Up until now I've been patient with our lack of transfer activity, contracts dont expire until 30th June, players still on holiday blah blah blah. Well it's 3rd July now and it's just typical business as usual, the same business which has helped us fall down the leagues over the last few years. More out of hope than expectation, I was really hoping the club would unveil a signing or 2 either Sunday or yesterday, ready to join up and start training this week. I guess there's still time yet but looking unlikely.

Since our last promotion in 2003, I can only recall 2 seasons where the team started the season reasonably well, the first being our 1st season back in the 2nd tier when our championship-winning squad carried on where they left off (we fell away later when BW chopped and changed things a bit too much) and the last was Holloway's final (part) season before he left (despite the lack of transfer activity that summer we did make Halmosi & Timar permanent). Every other season has seen the same old excuses trotted out, the new (late) arrivals need time to gel, we'll improve when the loan window opens etc

The whole point of pre-season is to get fit, for new players to bond with existing players and the manager/coaches implementing some new ideas with the new squad. If I was an Argyle player (without being a supporter obviously), I think I'd be tempted to take an extended holiday until some new players arrived. Aside from fitness work, what else can they really do?.

Have some in depth chats with Fletch on how they're going to play the beautiful game, whilst Wotts n Purse have other plans ? Guess who will prevail ? Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Back to training this week?   Back to training this week? EmptyTue Jul 03, 2012 10:44 am

Saltash green would like to point out that fitness work is now not a big part of pre season. Saltash green thinks that it's a very old school way of thinking

Saltash green would like it known that if anything at all the only fitness work performed at pre season would be S A Q work.
Back to top Go down
Pete1886

Pete1886

PostSubject: Re: Back to training this week?   Back to training this week? EmptyTue Jul 03, 2012 9:12 pm

Saltash green wrote:
Saltash green would like to point out that fitness work is now not a big part of pre season. Saltash green thinks that it's a very old school way of thinking

Saltash green would like it known that if anything at all the only fitness work performed at pre season would be S A Q work.

That's almost true Saltash Green, fitness will play a big part of the first bit of pre season training, although the old run 'em 'til they're sick philosphy has changed there is still an emphasis on fitness. Quite a few players have been in during the last couple of weeks 'doing fitness' and there is a certain expectation that fitness is maintained during their break. After all SAQ's are fitness work, just a little more specific to football than loads of runs without any focus.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Back to training this week?   Back to training this week? EmptyTue Jul 03, 2012 9:31 pm

Years ago they would stick them with the royal marines for a couple of weeks to get them into shape.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Back to training this week?   Back to training this week? EmptyTue Jul 03, 2012 9:35 pm

It all shouts PROZONE !!!! to me.
Is that hugely expensive nonsense still being praised up at Home Park ?
How much has that cost over the period of our decline ?
Still, who are we to question these experts ?... just look how it's enabled English and South West football to rise to the top.
I hear sport science is soooooooo advanced these days, that they are close to there being no losers, with a 95% promotion rate... and no relegation. Should mean a little room for an extra couple of cakes for our Simon.
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: Back to training this week?   Back to training this week? EmptyTue Jul 03, 2012 9:37 pm

Hope they blimin well do fitness and strength work. Don't know how many times last year teams looked fitter stronger faster. That can't be a mere coincidence it must have been an over site or lack of application.

Even if it wasn't true. It's best to aim to be the best in all departments.
Back to top Go down
Pete1886

Pete1886

PostSubject: Re: Back to training this week?   Back to training this week? EmptyTue Jul 03, 2012 9:46 pm

Penz wrote:
It all shouts PROZONE !!!! to me.
Is that hugely expensive nonsense still being praised up at Home Park ?
How much has that cost over the period of our decline ?
Still, who are we to question these experts ?... just look how it's enabled English and South West football to rise to the top.
I hear sport science is soooooooo advanced these days, that they are close to there being no losers, with a 95% promotion rate... and no relegation. Should mean a little room for an extra couple of cakes for our Simon.

Old Skool Penz!

There's no Prozone anymore that went along with the staff wages and all that. There's nothing wrong with a scientific approach to fitness, after all the best way to get fit for football is to play football. Gone are the days when are bowlers got fit by working down the mines, these days our pampered prima donnas need a little more help with all the hard work, God forbid they have to put in too much hard work.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Back to training this week?   Back to training this week? Empty

Back to top Go down

Back to training this week?
Page 1 of 1