Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

2012-2013 Season: Deja Vu All Over Again On The Playing Side ??

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

2012-2013 Season: Deja Vu All Over Again On The Playing Side ?? Empty
PostSubject: 2012-2013 Season: Deja Vu All Over Again On The Playing Side ??   2012-2013 Season: Deja Vu All Over Again On The Playing Side ?? EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 2:09 pm

What with the players and staff due to return for pre-season training soon,coupled with the candid statements from Fletcher regarding the new season,i get this awful feeling that 2012-13 will be deja vu all over again.

Last season was painful,very painful and i really do not wish to go through all that again,but deep down i fear that the 2012-2013 season will offer up more of the same.

Do we think that the Fletcher and the team have learnt much from last season,or will we see errors and iffy tactics blight matters once again. And could it be said also that Fletcher will be under pressure to produce results from the off.

With no direct action on the transfer side of things (other League Two clubs are still busy i read) at present,i see the current team offering little for next term,and that is worrying. Unless Fletcher goes for loan signings yet again early and late on in the season.

Once James Brent had purchased the club [with all its deals and add-ons built in] we knew times would be tough. With the news of James Brent's plans for the wider surrounding area and the Grandstand now set in concrete,is it plausible to suggest that team affairs will take second place to the building work that will appear sometime soon in and around Home Park.

We often hear James Brent harking on about how sustained the club should be,which is what Argyle need of course,but if that was not benefiting the team [staying in League Two for many years],would that not have a major knock-on effect with the supporters. Or can the club bank on the 5/ 6000-ish die hards that will turn up every other week.

Does anyone else have a dreaded feeling deep within them that next season could be as dire,or are you all happy to plod along for a few years until the time is deemed right to rise again.

Last edited by VillageGreen on Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2012-2013 Season: Deja Vu All Over Again On The Playing Side ??   2012-2013 Season: Deja Vu All Over Again On The Playing Side ?? EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 2:45 pm

I will wait to see how the current squad perform without the pressure to maintain our league status. But I can't say I'm optimistic without some more signings.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2012-2013 Season: Deja Vu All Over Again On The Playing Side ??   2012-2013 Season: Deja Vu All Over Again On The Playing Side ?? EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 2:54 pm

VillageGreen wrote:
What with the players and staff due to return for pre-season training soon,coupled with the candid statements from Fletcher regarding the new season,i get this awful feeling that 2012-13 will be deja vu all over again.

Last season was painful,very painful and i really do not wish to go through all that again,but deep down i fear that the 2012-2013 season will offer up more of the same.

Do we think that the Fletcher and the team have learnt much from last season,or will we see errors and iffy tactics blight matters once again. And could it be said also that Fletcher will be under pressure to produce results from the off.

With no direct action on the transfer side of things (other League Two clubs are still busy i read) at present,i see the current team offering little for next term,and that is worrying. Unless Fletcher goes for loan signings yet again late on in the season.

Once James Brent had purchased the club [with all its deals and clauses built in] we knew times would be tough. With the news of James Brent's plans for the surrounding area and the Grandstand now set in concrete,is it plausible to suggest that team affairs will take second place to the building work that will appear sometime soon in and around Home Park.

We often hear James Brent harking on about how sustained the club should be,which is what Argyle need,but if that was not benefiting the team [staying in League Two for many years],would that not have a major knock-on effect with the supporters. Or can the club bank on the 6000-ish die hards that will turn up every other week.

Does anyone else have a dreaded feeling deep within them that next season could be as dire,or are you all happy to plod along for a few years until the time is deemed right to rise again.

VG I have to say I understand and share much of your concern.

I would say that we were told to expect 4 new arrivals and to date we have 1. I wrote elsewhere that I expected more permanent new faces by the staart of the season, but the longer it goes on without them and the closer the season becomes the more I am convinced we will get more loan signings.

It is clear that permanent or loan we need much more than we have now. Our back 5 is intact and has cover, but the front 6 are as threadbare as when the season ended, or more so since loanees went back.

Personally, I think its a cunning plan to send everyone to the bars to drown their sorrows and in doing so dramatically increase revenue.
Back to top Go down
Flat_Track_Bully

Flat_Track_Bully

PostSubject: Re: 2012-2013 Season: Deja Vu All Over Again On The Playing Side ??   2012-2013 Season: Deja Vu All Over Again On The Playing Side ?? EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 2:55 pm

I've got to admit the news coming out of the club isn't encouraging. As player contracts end on June 30th, we should be starting to hear about signings/imminent signings. But everything is very quiet on that front, and the re-signing of the majority of out of contract players from last seasons squad suggests that Fletcher isn't expecting to pick up too many new faces. On reflection it isn't really that suprising, Brent is a self-confessed 'non-football' man, and is clearly more interested in the money making opportunities the various land deals allow than of the success of the FC.

The team we had together at the end of last season demonstrated lower-mid table form. From that team we have lost MacDonald and Hemmings, and have only added this Paris-Cowan bloke. So as it stands we look like we have a lower midtable team at best.

Back to top Go down
http://www.sciencebrainwaves.com/
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: 2012-2013 Season: Deja Vu All Over Again On The Playing Side ??   2012-2013 Season: Deja Vu All Over Again On The Playing Side ?? EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 2:55 pm

And more signings there will be

Quote :
Chris Webb ‏@Chris_Webb1
Club have stated they are actively seeking additions.....sometimes takes time
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: 2012-2013 Season: Deja Vu All Over Again On The Playing Side ??   2012-2013 Season: Deja Vu All Over Again On The Playing Side ?? EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 5:14 pm

Postey gives an (upbeat) summary of the squad,on Vital, and suggests we need a winger, creative midfielder and target man.

I would want another 2 strikers brought in as Chadwick isn't the most reliable (fitness wise). We may need a cover RB also, unless Walton may cover (think he has before?).

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2012-2013 Season: Deja Vu All Over Again On The Playing Side ??   2012-2013 Season: Deja Vu All Over Again On The Playing Side ?? EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 6:23 pm

Yes a good solid top twenty finish should keep the happy clappers clapping.
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: 2012-2013 Season: Deja Vu All Over Again On The Playing Side ??   2012-2013 Season: Deja Vu All Over Again On The Playing Side ?? EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 7:51 pm

Flat_Track_Bully wrote:
I've got to admit the news coming out of the club isn't encouraging. As player contracts end on June 30th, we should be starting to hear about signings/imminent signings. But everything is very quiet on that front, and the re-signing of the majority of out of contract players from last seasons squad suggests that Fletcher isn't expecting to pick up too many new faces. On reflection it isn't really that suprising, Brent is a self-confessed 'non-football' man, and is clearly more interested in the money making opportunities the various land deals allow than of the success of the FC.

The team we had together at the end of last season demonstrated lower-mid table form. From that team we have lost MacDonald and Hemmings, and have only added this Paris-Cowan bloke. So as it stands we look like we have a lower midtable team at best.

That is what troubles me,he claims the club needs to see sustainable growth and to generate income which can then be used to reinforce the team etc-etc. If (as i believe it to be) it is only the income from the ground that Argyle get to keep to themselves,then that could a rather slow build up of funds.

I think you are correct in your opinion there.

What Argyle do not need this time around though is the same sort of start as last season,as that really set up Argyle for the dramatic finish they witnessed. Although [as we all know] outside factors were dictating matters for weeks on end up until the take-over happened.

Regarding transfer news of League Two rivals,i see the League Two title favourites Rotherham United have pulled in nine new players so far,with more to come apparently. I wonder what their pre-season budget is like (larger than Argyle's perhaps) when they can hire that many,with a view to adding more.

I'd take 17th position or a little higher come May 2013,but it could well be a fight to reach that in truth.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2012-2013 Season: Deja Vu All Over Again On The Playing Side ??   2012-2013 Season: Deja Vu All Over Again On The Playing Side ?? EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 8:07 pm

VillageGreen wrote:
Flat_Track_Bully wrote:

That is what troubles me,he claims the club needs to see sustainable growth and to generate income which can then be used to reinforce the team etc-etc. If (as i believe it to be) it is only the income from the ground that Argyle get to keep to themselves,then that could a rather slow build up of funds.

I think you are correct in your opinion there.

What Argyle do not need this time around though is the same sort of start as last season,as that really set up Argyle for the dramatic finish they witnessed. Although [as we all know] outside factors were dictating matters for weeks on end up until the take-over happened.

Regarding transfer news of League Two rivals,i see the League Two title favourites Rotherham United have pulled in nine new players so far,with more to come apparently. I wonder what their pre-season budget is like (larger than Argyle's perhaps) when they can hire that many,with a view to adding more.

I'd take 17th position or a little higher come May 2013,but it could well be a fight to reach that in truth.

We know that Fletch likes to keep things close to his chest so I'm sure things are going on behind the scenes. Did many see much about Paris Cowan-Hall signing? I wouldn't be surprised to see at least another 2 signings although the sooner they arrive the better.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2012-2013 Season: Deja Vu All Over Again On The Playing Side ??   2012-2013 Season: Deja Vu All Over Again On The Playing Side ?? EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 8:48 pm

Village Green.. you're easily pleased then.With a fanbase of 6-7000 fans turning up every week and up to 13000 on occasions and with one of the highest playing budgets in league 2 I would regard 17th position as a huge disappointment.Play offs at the very least for me this season.We had our bad season last year,nows the time for Fletcher to show how good he is at this management lark.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2012-2013 Season: Deja Vu All Over Again On The Playing Side ??   2012-2013 Season: Deja Vu All Over Again On The Playing Side ?? EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 8:51 pm

Definitely agree with you VG, and with others who are worried about our fire power. Goals win games.

I know Mr Brent made it clear that the club needs to be self sustaining, but when you keep hearing about all his imminent business ventures, most of which are a license to print money due to the help being offered by PCC, it starts to grate on my nerves that we're currently weaker than last season.

I'm sure the club are looking at players right now, but I'm lookin at hot birds right now but it certainly doesn't mean I'm going to be shagging them anytime soon.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 2012-2013 Season: Deja Vu All Over Again On The Playing Side ??   2012-2013 Season: Deja Vu All Over Again On The Playing Side ?? EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 9:02 pm

It would be wrong to blame Fletcher for the lack of signings if he is not given money to achieve it. We all await with baited breath to see whether Brent is as good as his word with the larger budget than anyone else and re-instating Argyle to Championship level. Be a football fanatic or not, he must know that having 11 players on a pitch is not a sign of a done deal and it will happen. Even he must know that you need a bit of strength in a side to even stand a chance.

It is disappointing to say the least that other clubs are signing away and we have only managed to keep the ones we had so far. I cannot believe that this squad is the final happening. There has to be at least 2 more along with loanees. My support is not dependant on signings I will be honest enough to say but just because I will still go along does not make me happy with the story so far.
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: 2012-2013 Season: Deja Vu All Over Again On The Playing Side ??   2012-2013 Season: Deja Vu All Over Again On The Playing Side ?? EmptyMon Jun 25, 2012 9:49 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if Big Fletch signed on again. Bournemouth signed another striker today and must have 8 on their books-

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2012-2013 Season: Deja Vu All Over Again On The Playing Side ??   2012-2013 Season: Deja Vu All Over Again On The Playing Side ?? Empty

Back to top Go down

2012-2013 Season: Deja Vu All Over Again On The Playing Side ??
Page 1 of 1