Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What would be the benefits of having an "experienced" manager next season?

Go down 
+5
Nick
Czarcasm
Dougie
Grovehill
akagreengull
9 posters
AuthorMessage
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

What would be the benefits of having an "experienced" manager next season? Empty
PostSubject: What would be the benefits of having an "experienced" manager next season?   What would be the benefits of having an "experienced" manager next season? EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 9:08 pm

Fletchers managerial role is up for "review" at the end of this season-if for some reason he is not given another contract to continue as manager by Brent,what would be the possible benefits of recruiting an established/experienced manager for next season?
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

What would be the benefits of having an "experienced" manager next season? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What would be the benefits of having an "experienced" manager next season?   What would be the benefits of having an "experienced" manager next season? EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 9:29 pm

Better results!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What would be the benefits of having an "experienced" manager next season?   What would be the benefits of having an "experienced" manager next season? EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 9:31 pm

Better contacts
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What would be the benefits of having an "experienced" manager next season?   What would be the benefits of having an "experienced" manager next season? EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 9:32 pm

More experience

Although I do think he deserves a chance.

Last edited by GOB on Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What would be the benefits of having an "experienced" manager next season?   What would be the benefits of having an "experienced" manager next season? EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 9:32 pm

I am no fanboy of Fletcher, but I think the need to replace overweight old players past their best is more of an urgency. Yes, Walton, I'm looking at you. And Wotton and you Mr Purse.

There is no arguing that results have improved since Fletcher took over, and we look like staying up despite taking only one point from the first 27 on offer. That has to go some way in his favour for hanging onto his job. What goes against it is the rumour that he is arrogant and doesn't listen to advice. Signing his dad from Bournemouth being a prime example.
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: What would be the benefits of having an "experienced" manager next season?   What would be the benefits of having an "experienced" manager next season? EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 10:15 pm

I find it tricky. Even recently the 1-0 win over Aldershot was one of the most hideous football matches I've ever witnessed. Yet we won. Some will say thats all that matters. And it's certainly better than losing. How far that type of play and tactics will get us is a guess but I don't think it will be very far. And will anyone but the football purists and the win at any costers want to come and watch. That will be very important when player budget is determined by turnover, a budget already limited by the club having to service it's debt, so paying punters is an important consideration.

There is no doubt that the standard is League Two is woeful and if Fletcher is able to put a decent squad together than anything but a promotion push would be failure. If there was any doubt that we were 'a couple of players' short of being a good side this year then this has been totally dispelled. We need a huge overall and whether Fletcher and the Board and their advisors are up to it is a difficult call. I'm edging towards not whilst habouring the notion the Fletcher deserves a chance. What I will be unhappy with is if deals don't start being done early doors. For too many seasons the squad has been put to gather far to late and with flotsom and jetsom turning up and sometimes signed.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What would be the benefits of having an "experienced" manager next season?   What would be the benefits of having an "experienced" manager next season? EmptySun Apr 15, 2012 10:59 pm

To me it seems like we're a one trick pony under Fletcher. Hard to beat, dour and hard-working. It's what happens when we go behind that is the worry. When the tactics aren't working and a change is needed. This doesn't seem to happen at the moment.

Ok so he's kept us up with these tactics, so mission accomplished, but there are people who will say that our record since Fletcher became manager, or since January, is play-off form. If that's the case why should he change tactics? If it aint broke why fix it? And how many people would be prepared to watch that shit for another season?

A manager needs to have a back-up plan when things aren't working, maybe two or three alternatives, and I haven't seen any evidence of this from Carl Fletcher. The ability to spring a surprise, set-piece routines from time to time, substitutions that change the shape, rather than like for like with 10 minutes to go.

I do expect Fletcher to be in charge come August so hopefully Fletchers tactics so far have just been to serve a purpose and next season we're totally different. If not what happens then? Mid-table at Christmas, but only 6 points off a play-off spot? Still a chance of making them with a good second half of the season. Is that then time to turn to Paul Wotton or Darren Purse as his replacement?

I've said it before, I would like to hear what Fletcher's aims are at the end of the season. Hear what his views on tactics are.
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: What would be the benefits of having an "experienced" manager next season?   What would be the benefits of having an "experienced" manager next season? EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 9:02 am

So you would be happy to have another rookie manager Greenjock,if you would consider Purse or Wotton?
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: What would be the benefits of having an "experienced" manager next season?   What would be the benefits of having an "experienced" manager next season? EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 9:04 am

Good post Dougie-think a lot of Argyle supporters would identify with what you say right now.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: What would be the benefits of having an "experienced" manager next season?   What would be the benefits of having an "experienced" manager next season? EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 9:11 am

Brent doesn't throw money around willy-nilly. So when he offers the going rate for a 4th division rookie gaffer (this will mean around a 70% wage drop to Fletch) hopefully Fletch will realise he can probably earn more by putting his boots back on, and f*ck off elsewhere.

Unfortunately, I think it's nailed on Fletch will still be here come August. Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What would be the benefits of having an "experienced" manager next season?   What would be the benefits of having an "experienced" manager next season? EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 9:16 am

[quote="akagreengull"]So you would be happy to have another rookie manager Greenjock,if you would consider Purse or Wotton?[/quote

No I was being sarcastic about those two. My point is if Fletcher hasn't got us challenging for promotion halfway through the season, does Brent then turn to another experienced player in a cost saving excercise?

I would prefer a manager with experience right now, and preferably one who plays the ball on the deck. If that happened and it took a little longer to get promoted I wouldn't mind as much. What I don't want is another season of hoofing the ball up to the strikers, therefore negating the need for a midfield with any skill or ideas.
Back to top Go down
Nick

Nick

PostSubject: Re: What would be the benefits of having an "experienced" manager next season?   What would be the benefits of having an "experienced" manager next season? EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 9:32 am

The crowd were very supportive of Fletcher on Saturday at Swindon. Lots of chants for him. Make of that what you will.
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: What would be the benefits of having an "experienced" manager next season?   What would be the benefits of having an "experienced" manager next season? EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 9:37 am

I think most experienced lower league managers would be cheaper than Fletch- he's on £5k/ week. Tisdale is only on £3k.

We need to either get rid or offer reduced terms to Fletcher, Walton and Damien Johnson (I think he'll be gone) in order that we can raise the overall quality of the squad. I would release the likes of Hourihane, Daley, Soukouna etc also (as I think most of the players Reid signed were on one year deals) and Chadwick (despite early promise, is now back to his normal shit displays)

We need a goalscorer- wonder how much Barnet would accept for Izale McLeod (we don't want to spend beyond our means though)? If not we need to sign some decent players on the free market- we will have more of an available fund than other League 2 clubs, due to our increased turnover.
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: What would be the benefits of having an "experienced" manager next season?   What would be the benefits of having an "experienced" manager next season? EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 9:51 am

Greenjock-sorry I did'nt pick up on your sarcasm there,seems that most of us think that fletch will be manager next season and that if we are'nt near the top at Xmas then time to get a proven manager in.
Back to top Go down
Sandford_Grecian

Sandford_Grecian

Location : Looking into the eyes of the beholder, and all I can see are £££££ signs :-)

PostSubject: Re: What would be the benefits of having an "experienced" manager next season?   What would be the benefits of having an "experienced" manager next season? EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 12:38 pm

But.... Next season 'Fletcher' will be an experienced manager... he's been there, and done it, so you should survive relegation again next season... sack him at your peril I say Laughing ,
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/sandford_merlin

PostSubject: Re: What would be the benefits of having an "experienced" manager next season?   What would be the benefits of having an "experienced" manager next season? EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 10:29 pm

I despair sometimes at where some of you get your football knowledge from. Fletcher is a genius and I have watched a match that proves it. None other than Chelsea v Barcelona tonight.

Chelsea defended Argyle style for most of the match and broke away to score one goal and win the match. Ok the standard of the defending was a little tiny bit better than Argyle muster and the opposition a tad better than Argyle face but the tactics a la Fletcher were there for all to see. We are damned lucky to have him in my book. You lot just moan for moaning sake.
Back to top Go down
shonbo

shonbo

PostSubject: Re: What would be the benefits of having an "experienced" manager next season?   What would be the benefits of having an "experienced" manager next season? EmptyWed Apr 18, 2012 10:39 pm

I actually said to my son, that Droghba was the premier equivalent of Sean McCarthy. He didn't know who Sean was even tho we were at Southend when he was 8 and Sean scored with his backside. Bloody kids Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What would be the benefits of having an "experienced" manager next season?   What would be the benefits of having an "experienced" manager next season? EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 7:20 am

Sensiblegreeny wrote:
I despair sometimes at where some of you get your football knowledge from. Fletcher is a genius and I have watched a match that proves it. None other than Chelsea v Barcelona tonight.

Chelsea defended Argyle style for most of the match and broke away to score one goal and win the match. Ok the standard of the defending was a little tiny bit better than Argyle muster and the opposition a tad better than Argyle face but the tactics a la Fletcher were there for all to see. We are damned lucky to have him in my book. You lot just moan for moaning sake.

Not so much that Chelsea planned to defend......more that Barcelona wouldn't let them play with their ball.
Back to top Go down
BadBoy67

PostSubject: Re: What would be the benefits of having an "experienced" manager next season?   What would be the benefits of having an "experienced" manager next season? EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 2:14 pm

Chemical Ali wrote:
I think most experienced lower league managers would be cheaper than Fletch- he's on £5k/ week. Tisdale is only on £3k.

We need to either get rid or offer reduced terms to Fletcher, Walton and Damien Johnson (I think he'll be gone) in order that we can raise the overall quality of the squad. I would release the likes of Hourihane, Daley, Soukouna etc also (as I think most of the players Reid signed were on one year deals) and Chadwick (despite early promise, is now back to his normal shit displays)

We need a goalscorer- wonder how much Barnet would accept for Izale McLeod (we don't want to spend beyond our means though)? If not we need to sign some decent players on the free market- we will have more of an available fund than other League 2 clubs, due to our increased turnover.

Whatever anyone says the simple fact is that fletch has got us to a position of relative safety in around 32 games or 2/3 of a season. I don't know what Chadwick you watch but the one i see puts in a decent performance most weeks, and when he doesn't play the ball does not stick up front but comes straight back, he is as responsible as Purse, Blanchard and Wotton for our retaining league status. As for how much would Barnet want for McLeod its probably more of a how much would we need to spend in wages to get him here i'm sure he'll get offers from the london area. I personnally would keep Hourihane and Soukana they are both young and improving in a recent reserve team game Soukana was the best player on the pitch. We need a box to box midfielder who gets a few goals and a goalkeeper that has some sort of idea how to command his area. IMO
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What would be the benefits of having an "experienced" manager next season?   What would be the benefits of having an "experienced" manager next season? Empty

Back to top Go down

What would be the benefits of having an "experienced" manager next season?
Page 1 of 1