The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Steven Schumacher targeting five or six more signings for Plymouth Argyle

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Tgwu

Steven Schumacher targeting five or six more signings for Plymouth Argyle Empty
PostSubject: Steven Schumacher targeting five or six more signings for Plymouth Argyle   Steven Schumacher targeting five or six more signings for Plymouth Argyle EmptyWed Jul 19, 2023 2:44 pm

Steven Schumacher is hoping for more new arrivals at Plymouth Argyle 'as soon as possible' ahead of the start of the 2023/24 Championship campaign in 17 days' time.

Morgan Whittaker became the club's record signing when he joined from Swansea City on a four-year contract on Monday, with the transfer fee reported to be £1 million plus add-ons.

The return of Whittaker, after his outstanding loan spell during the first half of last season, has been greeted with huge enthusiasm from the Green Army.

His permanent addition to Schumacher's squad followed that of defenders Julio Pleguezuelo, Aston Villa loan signing Kaine Kesler-Hayden and Lewis Gibson, as well as goalkeeper Conor Hazard.

The Pilgrims' boss revealed he was aiming for 'probably another five or six players' before the season begins against Neil Warnock's Huddersfield Town at Home Park on Saturday, August 5.

The latest player to be linked to Argyle is Stoke City's 21-year-old defender Connor Thomas, who is a target of League One outfit Bristol Rovers, according to Bristol Live.

Thomas spent the 2021/22 season on loan to Rovers and was named their young player-of-the-year after making 41 starts and three substitute appearances in their League Two promotion-winning campaign.

Bristol Live have reported that Thomas, who had only limited game-time at Stoke last term, is believed to be on Argyle's shortlist as well as at least two other Championship clubs.

Sports editor James Piercy wrote: "At the age of 21, Taylor is understood to be growing increasingly frustrated by his situation at the bet365 Stadium and is open to a move away this summer but is currently being kept at the club due to a lack of reinforcements in the position."

Schumacher was asked when the Green Army could expect more new faces at Argyle and replied: "As soon as possible, we are working dead hard.

"We think we are kind of done on one deal but we just wait need to wait on the date the player can come.

"We are working hard behind the scenes to make more happen because we know we are a bit short. We need probably another five or six players, which everyone is aware of. I'm sure they will be in before the season starts.

"I think every club in the Championship is probably saying the same. I don't know what everyone's squad is, but we knew that this was going to be the case.

"I'm not overly concerned about it. I know the players who we are trying to bring in will be fit and ready to go so it's no issue."

At this stage, Argyle appear unlikely to add to their squad behind their behind-closed-doors game against Forest Green Rovers at the Harper's Park training ground on Saturday. "Probably not, but we will just have to wait and see," added Schumacher.

Meanwhile, Schumacher thought Gary Johnson's Torquay United gave Argyle their toughest test of the pre-season so far when the teams played out a 1-1 draw at Plainmoor last night.

Whittaker gave the Pilgrims the lead with a tremendous volley in the first half but the National League South hosts equalised in the 77th minute with a diving header from Brad Ash.

It was a result which ended a three-match winning run for Argyle at the start of pre-season against Hearts, Plymouth Parkway and Blackpool.

Schumacher declared: "I said to Gary (Johnson) at the end of the game that's the best test we have had in pre-season. They played really well.

"It's the best Torquay have played in all of the pre-season games since I have been coming here. I thought they were good.

"They look really strong, they were aggressive, they came right up the pitch after us man for man. We got through a few times and caused them problems.

"I thought it was a good game and they definitely deserved something from it as well so credit to them. It was a good night."

Schumacher added: "You don't want the same games with teams sitting off and just defending the edge of their box, and you control it and have it all your own way.

"It was a different challenge for us and I really enjoyed it. I thought we did well in spells, but we were a bit scruffy in spells as well, where we just didn't get our passing quite right or the final ball into the box wasn't quite there, but that happens, it's pre-season and I would rather iron that all out now."

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
Jambo Pasty

Steven Schumacher targeting five or six more signings for Plymouth Argyle Empty
PostSubject: Re: Steven Schumacher targeting five or six more signings for Plymouth Argyle   Steven Schumacher targeting five or six more signings for Plymouth Argyle EmptyWed Jul 19, 2023 4:09 pm

Connor Taylor - not Connor Thomas as the report initially states
Back to top Go down

Steven Schumacher targeting five or six more signings for Plymouth Argyle
Page 1 of 1