Greenskin
sufferedsince 68
Angry
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Angry

Angry

3rd summer signing is Lewis Gibson Empty
PostSubject: 3rd summer signing is Lewis Gibson   3rd summer signing is Lewis Gibson EmptyMon Jul 03, 2023 5:02 pm

welcome and good luck to him

Gibson becomes third summer signing

the link wrote:
Argyle have signed 22-year-old central defender Lewis Gibson.

Gibson joins the Pilgrims on a permanent basis, having left Premier League side Everton.

Lewis becomes the third signing of the summer transfer window, following Julio Pleguezuelo and Kaine Kesler-Hayden.

Durham-born, Gibson’s youth career began at Newcastle United, but he switched to Everton close to his 17th birthday.

In 2017, Gibson was part of the England squad that included players such as Phil Foden, Conor Gallagher and Emile Smith Rowe that won the Under-17 World Cup, during a time when current Argyle Director of Football Neil Dewsnip was England’s Technical Lead. Gibson subsequently played for the Three Lions at Under-18 and Under-20 level.

After four games for Everton Under-21s in the EFL Trophy, Lewis headed to Fleetwood Town, managed at the time by Joey Barton, for the conclusion of the Sky Bet League One 2019/20 season.

Gibson spent the following season at Reading, playing 13 games in the Championship, before a season with Sheffield Wednesday was limited to a handful of games because of injury.

Last season, Lewis linked up with Barton once more, this time at Bristol Rovers, for whom he played 33 games last season, scoring one goal – the first in his career - coincidentally against Fleetwood.

Argyle manager Steven Schumacher said: "Lewis is an outstanding young defender who has excellent pedigree having come through the youth set-ups at two Premier League clubs.

"He has also had a number of loan spells in the Football League that have developed him in to the player he is today. We are signing a ball-playing central defender who has his best years ahead of him and has so much room for development.

"Left-sided defenders are also hard to come by, especially of Lewis' quality, and we beat off a number of clubs trying to clinch his services. We are delighted he has chosen his future is with Argyle and look forward to him running out at Home Park in the Championship."

Neil Dewsnip added: “I’d like to welcome Lewis to Argyle. I’m delighted we have managed to secure his services.

"Lewis is a player I worked with in my time as Technical Lead with the England age group sides. I have kept a close eye on his development, and I think he will perfectly suit what we are trying to achieve at Home Park.”

Gibson will be sponsored for both his home and away shirts for the 2023/24 season by E-Lifts
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

PostSubject: Re: 3rd summer signing is Lewis Gibson   3rd summer signing is Lewis Gibson EmptyMon Jul 03, 2023 5:24 pm

Another top signing. three out of three.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: 3rd summer signing is Lewis Gibson   3rd summer signing is Lewis Gibson EmptyMon Jul 03, 2023 6:11 pm

Injection of youth and pace into the defence no bad thing at all and should blend with the experienced back players already on the books, they all seem to be people who like to be on the ball as well. Only qualm for me is that he has been injury prone during his career which always brings on the squitters [Bolton, Galloway etc] but played 33 games last season so hopefully he's overcome his problems-welcome and good luck to him.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: 3rd summer signing is Lewis Gibson   3rd summer signing is Lewis Gibson EmptyMon Jul 03, 2023 7:09 pm

Joey the Jailbird seemed very keen to sign him/take him back on loan at Bristol Rovers.  IF he stays fit he could well be an asset.  In defence, really could do with Galloway keeping fit this season too but that won't happen.  Need some attackers & creative midfield players now.
Back to top Go down
RegGreen

PostSubject: Re: 3rd summer signing is Lewis Gibson   3rd summer signing is Lewis Gibson EmptyTue Jul 04, 2023 7:28 am

Can’t remember him from the The two Bristol games last season tbh but any additions to our suspect defence at times can’t be a bad thing ..welcome to Home park
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: 3rd summer signing is Lewis Gibson   3rd summer signing is Lewis Gibson EmptyTue Jul 04, 2023 12:30 pm

Welcome to Argyle Lewis.

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: 3rd summer signing is Lewis Gibson   3rd summer signing is Lewis Gibson EmptyTue Jul 04, 2023 12:38 pm

im hoping the 3rd defender we sign as we will need another one is someone who has the experience and leadership that we will need in this league. Wasnt a fan of Wilson but he was that leader in the defence despite his flaws so its a role that needs to be filled with hopefully a defender who can run and isnt easy to beat and expose the goalkeeper.

Back to top Go down
RegGreen

PostSubject: Re: 3rd summer signing is Lewis Gibson   3rd summer signing is Lewis Gibson EmptyTue Jul 04, 2023 4:57 pm

I hear there looking at Issac lidberg a Swedish striker that plays for Go a head eagles in Holland ..rumour Blackburn are also interested
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: 3rd summer signing is Lewis Gibson   3rd summer signing is Lewis Gibson EmptyTue Jul 04, 2023 8:36 pm

From a well informed sport person that Argyle has up to nine contracts on the table for new players.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: 3rd summer signing is Lewis Gibson   3rd summer signing is Lewis Gibson EmptyTue Jul 04, 2023 10:45 pm

Tgwu wrote:
From a well informed sport person that Argyle has up to nine contracts on the table for new players.

A lot of clubs jockeying for position regarding players now. I see Cardiff only made their first signing of the season today.

This week should see at least a couple more Home Park additions I reckon.
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: 3rd summer signing is Lewis Gibson   3rd summer signing is Lewis Gibson EmptyTue Jul 04, 2023 11:12 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
Tgwu wrote:

A lot of clubs jockeying for position regarding players now. I see Cardiff only made their first signing of the season today.

This week should see at least a couple more Home Park additions I reckon.

im not so sure about this week as ive said before i dont see the club flying anyone out to Spain seeing as they are halfway through now and will wait till they return to Plymouth to announce anyone if they do conclude some deals. Gibson obviously was signed sealed and delivered before they flew out so was announced over there but i thing the club will continue the transfer talks and concluded deals going into next week.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 3rd summer signing is Lewis Gibson   3rd summer signing is Lewis Gibson Empty

Back to top Go down

3rd summer signing is Lewis Gibson
Page 1 of 1