VillageGreen
PlymptonPilgrim
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

Papa Johns Trophy - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Papa Johns Trophy   Papa Johns Trophy - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 22, 2022 1:51 pm

Grovehill wrote:
FFS, does any other team's fan forums  have such a high percentage of negative posts when they are top of the League?

Yes in fact most other forums are worse including PASOTI and what's more I really don't see why we should all be happy clappy when we are being beaten 0 3 at half time by a team one a half leagues below us? Everyone acknowledged the great Cossy led comeback but that game highlighted why we need to strengthen in Jan to hold on to our hard won top spot, we have a decent team but fook all in the way of a squad, that isn't negativity it is cold, hard facts.
Go on the tractor bheys forum, very many of them want their manager gone and they are much more likely to go up than we are. Try the Leeds forum, they are in the prem and loads of their fans aren't happy. Anyway you used to he the most miserable poster on here it's more than a tad hypocritical of you to berate fans for discussing a match ffs.
This used to be such a good forum.
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

PostSubject: Re: Papa Johns Trophy   Papa Johns Trophy - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 22, 2022 8:17 pm

Earwegoagain wrote:
Grovehill wrote:
FFS, does any other team's fan forums  have such a high percentage of negative posts when they are top of the League?

Yes in fact most other forums are worse including PASOTI and what's more I really don't see why we should all be happy clappy when we are being beaten 0 3 at half time by a team one a half leagues below us? Everyone acknowledged the great Cossy led comeback but that game highlighted why we need to strengthen in Jan to hold on to our hard won top spot, we have a decent team but fook all in the way of a squad, that isn't negativity it is cold, hard facts.
Go on the tractor bheys forum, very many of them want their manager gone and they are much more likely to go up than we are. Try the Leeds forum, they are in the prem and loads of their fans aren't happy. Anyway you used to he the most miserable poster on here it's more than a tad hypocritical of you to berate fans for discussing a match ffs.

Does anyone including the Argyle management give a feck about the PJT? Seemingly not as they put out virtually a Reserve team?

Leeds, Ipswich etc are probably judging the current status against the "good old days"

Apart from a couple of Cup runs and a few brief glimpses at the higher reaches of the second division (aka the Championship) we don't have a glorious past to remember.

What we do have is a team/squad and management that is improbably, sitting quite pretty at the top of the Division and looking good for promotion.

Yes, half the team are only here for a few months, the owner and his cohorts seem hell bent on repeating the mistakes of the past (probably working on the planning application for that hotel atm) and think money being sat in Nat West is better than being spent on things like football.

But I've followed Argyle for just about 55 years (first game Boxing Day V Torquay, Hughie Reed scored with a diving header) and one thing I have learnt is: Enjoy the good times because the don't come around that often and they don't last
Back to top Go down
Mark Edwards

PostSubject: Re: Papa Johns Trophy   Papa Johns Trophy - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 23, 2022 9:04 am

Grovehill wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
Grovehill wrote:

Does anyone including the Argyle management give a feck about the PJT? Seemingly not as they put out virtually a Reserve team?

Leeds, Ipswich etc are probably judging the current status against the "good old days"

Apart from a couple of Cup runs and  a few brief glimpses at the higher reaches of the second division (aka the Championship) we don't have a glorious past to remember.

What we do have is a team/squad and management that is improbably, sitting quite pretty at the top of the  Division and looking good for promotion.

Yes, half the team are only here for a few months, the owner and his cohorts seem hell bent on repeating the mistakes of the past (probably working on the planning application for that hotel atm) and think money being sat in Nat West is better than being spent on things like football.

But I've followed Argyle for just about 55 years (first game Boxing Day V Torquay, Hughie Reed scored with a diving header)  and one thing I have learnt is: Enjoy the good times because the don't come around that often and they don't last

I don't disagree with many of the sentiments expressed here but, at the risk of sounding like Tony Blair, I do think there is a middle ground.
Yes, we're top of the league and the squad is self-evidently very thin thus needs boosting in January.
However, we have all seen what short-term thinking does to football clubs (Leeds are mentioned above and spent 16 years in the wilderness, including the 3rd division where even the "mighty" E*e*e*" beat them 2-0 - all after a certain Mr Ridsdale gambled with their future).
So, we need to spend money right now to secure promotion but we need to think beyond that as well.
I do believe that the investment in infrastructure (such as improved training facilities for the players etc) will attract better players which becomes the foundation upon which we can enjoy an extended stay in the Championship rather than yo-yoing a la Wycombe, Rotherham, etc.
Happy Christmas to all ATDers and thanks for the entertainment, debate, etc provided in 2022 - here's to 2023!
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Papa Johns Trophy   Papa Johns Trophy - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 23, 2022 10:19 am

Grovehill wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
Grovehill wrote:

Apart from a couple of Cup runs and  a few brief glimpses at the higher reaches of the second division (aka the Championship) we don't have a glorious past to remember.

What we do have is a team/squad and management that is improbably, sitting quite pretty at the top of the  Division and looking good for promotion.

But I've followed Argyle for just about 55 years (first game Boxing Day V Torquay, Hughie Reed scored with a diving header)  and one thing I have learnt is: Enjoy the good times because the don't come around that often and they don't last

No we don't have a decent squad, hence losing 0 3 at half time which was the point I clearly made.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Papa Johns Trophy   Papa Johns Trophy - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 23, 2022 10:57 am

Mark Edwards wrote:
Grovehill wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
Grovehill wrote:

I don't disagree with many of the sentiments expressed here but, at the risk of sounding like Tony Blair, I do think there is a middle ground.
Yes, we're top of the league and the squad is self-evidently very thin thus needs boosting in January.
sunny However, we have all seen what short-term thinking does to football clubs (Leeds are mentioned above and spent 16 years in the wilderness, including the 3rd division where even the "mighty" E*e*e*" beat them 2-0 - all after a certain Mr Ridsdale gambled with their future).
So, we need to spend money right now to secure promotion but we need to think beyond that as well.
I do believe that the investment in infrastructure (such as improved training facilities for the players etc) will attract better players which becomes the foundation upon which we can enjoy an extended stay in the Championship rather than yo-yoing a la Wycombe, Rotherham, etc.
Happy Christmas to all ATDers and thanks for the entertainment, debate, etc provided in 2022 - here's to 2023!

Ah, got a whiff of nostalgia here now. Remember when pragmatic posts like this used to be commonplace on ATD?
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Papa Johns Trophy   Papa Johns Trophy - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 23, 2022 2:15 pm

Mark Edwards wrote:
Grovehill wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
Grovehill wrote:

However, we have all seen what short-term thinking does to football clubs (Leeds are mentioned above and spent 16 years in the wilderness, including the 3rd division where even the "mighty" E*e*e*" beat them 2-0 - all after a certain Mr Ridsdale gambled with their future).

Why pick out an extreme example in Ridsdale? Nobody is suggesting that solid gold fish tanks should be the norm in the Home park foyer, just that a genuine attempt is made to strengthen the squad while Argyle are top of the division and have a golden chance to make progress to the level that many of us think that the club is well capable of. You've picked out an extreme case in Ridsdale at Leeds but equally possible is that Argyle fail to make it this season and lose many of their better players who would be anxious to move on to fulfil their ambitions-the league position of MK Dons would suggest that such a scenario is well possible and if it happened you can be sure that gates would no longer be averaging 14000 with all of the negative consequences which inevitably would follow. We had the players v property arguments in the championship years which ended up in the club falling between two stools and achieving nothing. The "players will come because of a good training ground" argument is very debatable-players tend to go where the money is best, possibly if two clubs were offering similar pay then superior facilities may hold sway but certainly not as a primary attraction. In any case the proposed purchase of the goals facility doesn't really seem to be the massive upgrade required but we shall see what transpires i suppose, just hope it's not another sticking plaster solution which has characterised decisions made by the club over the years in player recruitment as well as infrastructure.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Papa Johns Trophy   Papa Johns Trophy - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 23, 2022 2:30 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Mark Edwards wrote:
Grovehill wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
Grovehill wrote:

Why pick out an extreme example in Ridsdale? Nobody is suggesting that solid gold fish tanks should be the norm in the Home park foyer, just that a genuine attempt is made to strengthen the squad while Argyle are top of the division and have a golden chance to make progress to the level that many of us think that the club is well capable of. You've picked out an extreme case in Ridsdale at Leeds but equally possible is that Argyle fail to make it this season and lose many of their better players who would be anxious to move on to fulfil their ambitions-the league position of MK Dons would suggest that such a scenario is well possible and if it happened you can be sure that gates would no longer be averaging 14000 with all of the negative consequences which inevitably would follow. We had the players v property arguments in the championship years which ended up in the club falling between two stools and achieving nothing. The "players will come because of a good training ground" argument is very debatable-players tend to go where the money is best, possibly if two clubs were offering similar pay then superior facilities may hold sway but certainly not as a primary attraction. In any case the proposed purchase of the goals facility doesn't really seem to be the massive upgrade required but we shall see what transpires i suppose, just hope it's not another sticking plaster solution which has characterised decisions made by the club over the years in player recruitment as well as infrastructure.

Save your breath Skinny if you're not careful you will be branded a "Hallett hater" like me in which case every post you make will be earmarked as "not worth listening to" and get jumped on for negativity whether you are or not.
No one in the "positive" camp jumped in with their arguments when we were 0 3 down to a mid table league 2 side so now all the context of that argument has been lost. Another point that is lost on the positive brigade is that you get feck all for being top in October, November or December and what's more if we miss out this season even if Hallett doubled the budget next season we have no gaurantee that we would even hit the playoffs, that's why we have to make the most of our current position. If the board are adopting the position of most of the fans on here at present we will be fooked because most posters are unwilling to accept that the injuries have weakened the squad that was already very weak in terms of depth, that isn't negativity it's cold hard reality.
The training pitches attracting better players argument is bollocks, yes it may help but decent players want decent money, and we have had plenty of decent players here when the changing rooms were shitholes. Hallett has said many times why he wants to the invest in infrastructure and not the team and it is purely to protect not only his money but to protect the money generated by us the fans. You cannot argue with that it's been put in black and white many, many times by the man himself.
Maybe everyone here is happy being a nice little league 1 club?
Back to top Go down
Mark Edwards

PostSubject: Re: Papa Johns Trophy   Papa Johns Trophy - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 23, 2022 2:42 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Mark Edwards wrote:
Grovehill wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
Grovehill wrote:

I only picked Leeds because they had already been mentioned in the thread.

You could mention Wigan, Portsmouth, Derby, Bolton - all clubs who went for glory then went into administration. Combined debt in the Championship was £1.76 BILLION at the end of 2021 - that's an average of £73.3 million per club - so the simple laws of finance mean that some of these will go bust (appreciating that football finance is very different and would not survive contact with the "real" world).

I would rather Argyle did not go to the brink as we did in 2011 and I genuinely believe there is a better way - as I have espoused above.

However, I also appreciate that some people are gamblers and would "put it all on black" in a casino... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
RegGreen

PostSubject: Re: Papa Johns Trophy   Papa Johns Trophy - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 23, 2022 3:01 pm

Earwegoagain wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
Mark Edwards wrote:
Grovehill wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
Grovehill wrote:

Save your breath Skinny if you're not careful you will be branded a "Hallett hater" like me in which case every post you make will be earmarked as "not worth listening to" and get jumped on for negativity whether you are or not.
No one in the "positive" camp jumped in with their arguments when we were 0 3 down to a mid table league 2 side so now all the context of that argument has been lost. Another point that is lost on the positive brigade is that you get feck all for being top in October, November or December and what's more if we miss out this season even if Hallett doubled the budget next season we have no gaurantee that we would even hit the playoffs, that's why we have to make the most of our current position. If the board are adopting the position of most of the fans on here at present we will be fooked because most posters are unwilling to accept that the injuries have weakened the squad that was already very weak in terms of depth, that isn't negativity it's cold hard reality.
The training pitches attracting better players argument is bollocks, yes it may help but decent players want decent money, and we have had plenty of decent players here when the changing rooms were shitholes. Hallett has said many times why he wants to the invest in infrastructure and not the team and it is purely to protect not only his money but to protect the money generated by us the fans. You cannot argue with that it's been put in black and white many, many times by the man himself.
Maybe everyone here is happy being a nice little league 1 club?
not me im no Hallett nosher either in fact there’s No investment in January I will be one of first to have a scream up …some dont like the constructive criticism of Hallett some believe the sun shines out his arse
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

PostSubject: Re: Papa Johns Trophy   Papa Johns Trophy - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 23, 2022 3:42 pm

I'm not a Hallett hater, it's just that I've seen the whole scenario play out several times at Home Park

A new owner comes in, splashes the cash on marque signings or a "name" as Manager and after some initial success reality strikes-Waiters thinking he could build a team around Mariner, Big Mal lured to Man City, Luggy to Saints, whatever- and the financial belt gets tightened. Before you know it, debt is building, the team is slipping down the league and the Club is sold again.

Despite all the talk, SH has never invested in the playing side, Conference facilities, improve the ground, generally invest in tangible assets, yes, but pay even moderate transfer fees, no. All the money he has put in is in a form that he knows he will get back when he sells the Club-which may well be a lot sooner than everyone thinks.

He's just a small time version of the Glazers or Fenway Sports-take your profits while you can, but cash in as soon as you think the bubble might burst.

So, I'll cheer along while we are top of the League, be realistic about new signings (Argyle will shop at Aldi not Waitrose) and accept that when Stevie S gets us into the Championship it will be the usual brief visit. That's just the way Argyle are.

PS, sadly, I think we will be looking for a new Manager within a year as Stevie S will realise his ambitions are far higher than Hallett's.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Papa Johns Trophy   Papa Johns Trophy - Page 2 EmptyFri Dec 23, 2022 4:13 pm

Where has anybody mentioned spunking all the cash we have? Nobody has.
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Papa Johns Trophy   Papa Johns Trophy - Page 2 EmptyThu Dec 29, 2022 4:23 pm

Grovehill wrote:
I'm not a Hallett hater, it's just that I've seen the whole scenario play out several times at Home Park

A new owner comes in, splashes the cash on marque signings or a "name" as Manager and after some initial success reality strikes-Waiters thinking he could build a team around Mariner, Big Mal lured to Man City, Luggy to Saints, whatever- and the financial belt gets tightened. Before you know it, debt is building, the team is slipping down the league and the Club is sold again.

Despite all the talk, SH has never invested in the playing side, Conference facilities, improve the ground, generally invest in tangible assets, yes, but pay even moderate transfer fees, no. All the money he has put in is in a form that he knows he will get back when he sells the Club-which may well be a lot sooner than everyone thinks.

He's just a small time version of the Glazers or Fenway Sports-take your profits while you can, but cash in as soon as you think the bubble might burst.

So, I'll cheer along while we are top of the League, be realistic about new signings (Argyle will shop at Aldi not Waitrose) and accept that when Stevie S gets us into the Championship it will be the usual brief visit. That's just the way Argyle are.

PS, sadly, I think we will be looking for a new Manager within a year as Stevie S will realise his ambitions   are far higher than Hallett's.  

Agree with the brief spell in Championship. Should Argyle go up in May it will be pretty tough trying stay in that division as it stands at the moment. Hallett would have to stand by the manager and back him in transfer market for the challenge of Championship football and staying there.

Back to top Go down
Graiser

Graiser

PostSubject: Re: Papa Johns Trophy   Papa Johns Trophy - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 14, 2023 2:49 pm

So it’s home to Cheltenham
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Papa Johns Trophy   Papa Johns Trophy - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 14, 2023 2:55 pm

Graiser wrote:

the gods have smiled on us with that
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Papa Johns Trophy   Papa Johns Trophy - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 14, 2023 2:57 pm

Angry wrote:
Graiser wrote:

the gods have smiled on us with that

In it just. If there were ever a good chance to get to Wembley then this is it. The attendance should be decent I would say.
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

PostSubject: Re: Papa Johns Trophy   Papa Johns Trophy - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 14, 2023 6:05 pm

Great draw got to make it count.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Papa Johns Trophy   Papa Johns Trophy - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 16, 2023 12:37 pm

Just ordered my tickets for Wembley!

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Papa Johns Trophy   Papa Johns Trophy - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 16, 2023 3:10 pm

mouldyoldgoat wrote:

32,000 sold so far. 2,000 more than Bolton, currently. Could be looking at 70,000plus. Not bad for a Mickey Mouse Cup.
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

PostSubject: Re: Papa Johns Trophy   Papa Johns Trophy - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 16, 2023 3:35 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
mouldyoldgoat wrote:

32,000 sold so far. 2,000 more than Bolton, currently. Could be looking at 70,000plus. Not bad for a Mickey Mouse Cup.  
Great support, forty thousand would be superb cant wait even though it will be shit! cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: Papa Johns Trophy   Papa Johns Trophy - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 16, 2023 4:46 pm

Looks set to be the biggest crowd Argyle have ever played in front of

Bolton 1 Argyle 0

Glad I'm not going cheers
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Papa Johns Trophy   Papa Johns Trophy - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 16, 2023 6:14 pm

Les Miserable wrote:
Looks set to be the biggest crowd Argyle have ever played in front of

Bolton 1 Argyle 0

Glad I'm not going cheers

Biggest sellout in Argyles history.
Back to top Go down
Graiser

Graiser

PostSubject: Re: Papa Johns Trophy   Papa Johns Trophy - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 16, 2023 6:34 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
mouldyoldgoat wrote:

If it reaches 70k that would beat the highest attendance Argyle have played in front of.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Papa Johns Trophy   Papa Johns Trophy - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Papa Johns Trophy
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2