Earwegoagain
Angry
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Angry

Angry

1st January signing is Alfie Lewis  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 1st January signing is Alfie Lewis    1st January signing is Alfie Lewis  - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 27, 2022 7:37 pm

And just like that 7 months later Alfie Lewis leaves the club for Dundalk of the Irish leagues for an undisclosed fee (peanuts)

Lewis Moves to Dundalk

the link wrote:
Alfie Lewis has joined Dundalk of the League of Ireland for an undisclosed fee.

The midfielder joined Argyle in January, from another Irish club, St Patrick’s Athletic, but only played twice for The Pilgrims.

His two appearances both came from the bench; one in the Emirates FA Cup, in a memorable 1-0 win at Birmingham, and the other in Sky Bet League One, as we drew 3-3 with Fleetwood Town.

The 22-year-old midfielder will join up with Dundalk, who are in the midst of their season, currently sitting second in the league.

Argyle Director of Football Neil Dewsnip said: “We wish Alfie well in his venture. He was a real success at St Pat’s, where we observed his progress. It has been difficult at for him at Argyle with injury and lack of first team opportunity. We wish him well in a very competitive Dundalk team.”

Good luck, Alfie.

i guess all the data and analytics used to sign him wasn't so fool proof after all. Shame it was short and sweet for him but the lack of first team opportunities was a bit far fetch as a reason to sell him so quick if he was injured when he came here making only 2 appearances and was only playing in pre season. Me thinks schuey saw he made a mistake bringing him in. Cant see Alfie being replaced in the midfield so maybe the peanuts raised from his signing will go towards another signing or another lick of paint in the stands.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1st January signing is Alfie Lewis    1st January signing is Alfie Lewis  - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 27, 2022 7:48 pm

No loss at all, with the midfielders we now have he had no chance of an opportunity.
Back to top Go down
Jethro

Jethro

PostSubject: Re: 1st January signing is Alfie Lewis    1st January signing is Alfie Lewis  - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 27, 2022 7:52 pm

Angry wrote:
And just like that 7 months later Alfie Lewis leaves the club for Dundalk of the Irish leagues for an undisclosed fee (peanuts)

Lewis Moves to Dundalk

the link wrote:

The midfielder joined Argyle in January, from another Irish club, St Patrick’s Athletic, but only played twice for The Pilgrims.

His two appearances both came from the bench; one in the Emirates FA Cup, in a memorable 1-0 win at Birmingham, and the other in Sky Bet League One, as we drew 3-3 with Fleetwood Town.

The 22-year-old midfielder will join up with Dundalk, who are in the midst of their season, currently sitting second in the league.

Argyle Director of Football Neil Dewsnip said: “We wish Alfie well in his venture. He was a real success at St Pat’s, where we observed his progress. It has been difficult at for him at Argyle with injury and lack of first team opportunity. We wish him well in a very competitive Dundalk team.”

Good luck, Alfie.

i guess all the data and analytics used to sign him wasn't so fool proof after all. Shame it was short and sweet for him but the lack of first team opportunities was a bit far fetch as a reason to sell him so quick if he was injured when he came here making only 2 appearances and was only playing in pre season. Me thinks schuey saw he made a mistake bringing him in. Cant see Alfie being replaced in the midfield so maybe the peanuts raised from his signing will go towards another signing or another lick of paint in the stands.

How does data work if they pick up an injury then?

Oh I forgot you won't answer questions,

tosser
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: 1st January signing is Alfie Lewis    1st January signing is Alfie Lewis  - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 27, 2022 7:58 pm

Graiser wrote:
No loss at all, with the midfielders we now have he had no chance of an opportunity.

true it is a shame for him but end of the day if he can get regular football elsewhere when he wont get it here then best to go now rather then waste away. I wish him all the best there. Only way i see another midfielder being signed will be if a club bids for Camara and he finally leaves.
Back to top Go down
Jethro

Jethro

PostSubject: Re: 1st January signing is Alfie Lewis    1st January signing is Alfie Lewis  - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 27, 2022 7:59 pm

Angry wrote:
Graiser wrote:

true it is a shame for him but end of the day if he can get regular football elsewhere when he wont get it here then best to go now rather then waste away. I wish him all the best there.

How does data work if he gets injured then eh ?

Still not gonna answer lol!

Why don't you piss off and stick to supporting Arsenal.

Last edited by mouldyoldgoat on Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Edited out private information.)
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: 1st January signing is Alfie Lewis    1st January signing is Alfie Lewis  - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 27, 2022 10:35 pm

Jethro don’t use people’s name it’s so pasoti.

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
RegGreen

PostSubject: Re: 1st January signing is Alfie Lewis    1st January signing is Alfie Lewis  - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 28, 2022 9:14 am

Angry wrote:

Lewis Moves to Dundalk

the link wrote:

Good luck, Alfie.

This is where this analytics bollox comes a right cropper ..you can’t beat the old skool scouting system with people up & down the country actually watching players play a few times instead of data on a poxy lap just another way of saving money instead of a good scouting net work up and down the country if they wanted save money how about getting rid of some of the managers and assistants and assistants of assistants with got bundles of them in other areas of the club ..but not a proper scouting network
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: 1st January signing is Alfie Lewis    1st January signing is Alfie Lewis  - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 28, 2022 9:37 am

RegGreen wrote:
Angry wrote:

Lewis Moves to Dundalk

the link wrote:

Good luck, Alfie.

This is where this analytics bollox comes a right cropper ..you can’t beat the old skool scouting system with people up & down the country actually watching players play a few times instead of data on a poxy lap just another way of saving money instead of a good scouting net work up and down the country if they wanted save money how about getting rid of some of the managers and assistants and assistants of assistants with got bundles of them in other areas of the club ..but not a proper scouting network

Lewis picked up a serious injury so whatever the analytics suggested couldn’t come to fruition, i don’t think he’ll need replacing because based on his performance against Swansea I don’t think he’d had any chance of nailing down a regular starting place, in that game he was too easily knocked off the ball, L1 is probably too robust for him.
In regard to scouting, how do you think he came to Argyle’s attention being based in Ireland?
Back to top Go down
Clodagh Rubbish

PostSubject: Re: 1st January signing is Alfie Lewis    1st January signing is Alfie Lewis  - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 28, 2022 10:00 am

RegGreen wrote:
Angry wrote:

Lewis Moves to Dundalk

the link wrote:

Good luck, Alfie.

Jesus wept, how do you think Brentford managed to get in to the Premier League?

This "Analytic Bollox" clearly isn't going to be infallible and I reckon for the money Lewis would have been on, it was a punt worth taking. I would wager that an attempt was made to bulk him up and it didn't suit him.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: 1st January signing is Alfie Lewis    1st January signing is Alfie Lewis  - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 28, 2022 10:10 am

Clodagh Rubbish wrote:
This "Analytic Bollox" clearly isn't going to be infallible and I reckon for the money Lewis would have been on, it was a punt worth taking. I would wager that an attempt was made to bulk him up and it didn't suit him.

Pasties?
Back to top Go down
RegGreen

PostSubject: Re: 1st January signing is Alfie Lewis    1st January signing is Alfie Lewis  - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 28, 2022 10:24 am

Clodagh Rubbish wrote:
RegGreen wrote:
Angry wrote:

Lewis Moves to Dundalk

the link wrote:

Good luck, Alfie.

basically that signing in my opinion was another one of lowes old pals act dropping a wage to one of his mates should never have signed him in the first place clearly not good enough plus injured and would never made the first anyway…cos look where his gone back to proberly about his level
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: 1st January signing is Alfie Lewis    1st January signing is Alfie Lewis  - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 28, 2022 10:52 am

Clodagh Rubbish wrote:
RegGreen wrote:
Angry wrote:

Lewis Moves to Dundalk

the link wrote:

Good luck, Alfie.

Benham's money helped quite a bit, analytics or not.
Back to top Go down
Clodagh Rubbish

PostSubject: Re: 1st January signing is Alfie Lewis    1st January signing is Alfie Lewis  - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 28, 2022 11:24 am

Greenskin wrote:
Clodagh Rubbish wrote:
RegGreen wrote:
Angry wrote:

Lewis Moves to Dundalk

the link wrote:

Good luck, Alfie.

Benham's money helped quite a bit, analytics or not.

Not really

Brentford's net spend during their time in the Championship.

20/21 - £49.3 million
19/20 + £350K
18/19 - £25.5 million
17/18 - £3.46 million
16/17 - £8.3 million
15/16 - 13.6 million
14/15 + £1.61 million

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: 1st January signing is Alfie Lewis    1st January signing is Alfie Lewis  - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 28, 2022 3:13 pm

Alfie Lewis was a bad signing, all clubs make them and this was one of ours, no big deal really don't think we wasted a lot of money on him but he was a bad signing. Data anilytics is the new buzz word in sport but as Skinny alludes to it's generally cold hard cash that outperforms the data every time and as all clubs use the anilytics then it does sent really give us any edge at all.
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: 1st January signing is Alfie Lewis    1st January signing is Alfie Lewis  - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 28, 2022 3:32 pm

RegGreen wrote:
Angry wrote:

Lewis Moves to Dundalk

the link wrote:

Good luck, Alfie.

i see the benefits of data and analytics when identifying players when looking to make a signing but you are right you cant beat watching the players in question in action with your own eyes to determine whether they would be a good fit or not on top of that additional information that Data and stats gives you.

The club should have had him watched before going for him, injuries didnt help of course but if schuey was this keen to get rid this quick its clear he knew he made a mistake signing him. its a shame it didnt work out but thats how it is sometimes.
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

PostSubject: Re: 1st January signing is Alfie Lewis    1st January signing is Alfie Lewis  - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 28, 2022 3:35 pm

Could be nothing to do with football.

As he's not joined another EFL club (or Torquay Utd) I'd say he probably wanted to return to Ireland.

Perhaps he has a partner who wouldn't come to England or who couldn't settle

Another Stevie Crawford.
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: 1st January signing is Alfie Lewis    1st January signing is Alfie Lewis  - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 28, 2022 5:33 pm

Grovehill wrote:
Could be nothing to do with football.

As he's not joined another EFL club (or Torquay Utd) I'd say he probably wanted to return to Ireland.

Perhaps he has a partner who wouldn't come to England or who couldn't settle

Another Stevie Crawford.

considering he is from london and only went to ireland the beginning of 2021 i dint think that would be the case. I imagine he had a good time in 'ireland and wanted to go back to play football again where he attracted interest and hope to get back to that form before attempting another crack at the EFL in another year or two.
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: 1st January signing is Alfie Lewis    1st January signing is Alfie Lewis  - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 28, 2022 6:13 pm

Schumacher said: "I got phone calls from a couple of Irish managers in the same week asking what the situation was with Alfie. I told them he was playing pre-season games for us and I thought he deserved that opportunity to show what he was about.

He didn't really get many games last season. We didn't have many behind-closed-doors games because of how congested the fixtures were, and he was injured for a large part of it, so we didn't see enough of him.

"I said to the Irish managers if he did well in the pre-season games then he was in the frame here, and he did do well to be fair to him, but I sat down with him and said 'Look, I honestly think that if I'm picking my team there are two or three I'm picking before you.'

"I told him it was his call if he wanted to move on, he was under no pressure, and he decided that where his career is at right now it would probably be best to go back (to Ireland) and play some games, rather than sit on the bench for six months, and be in and out.

"He chose to move on to Dundalk and I wish him all the best because he's a really good player. I know people didn't get to see that here but he's better than just sitting on the bench and getting 10 minutes here and there.

"He needs to play and we wish him all the best. Hopefully he will go over there and prove us wrong."

Schumacher added: "He had a bit of interest over here as well, to stay in this country, but they really know what he's about over there. The manager (O'Donnell) knows him inside out so he was dead keen to get it done.

"We managed to get a fee for him and he has gone over there with the intention of coming back again (to England) at one point.
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: 1st January signing is Alfie Lewis    1st January signing is Alfie Lewis  - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 28, 2022 7:00 pm

Tgwu wrote:
Schumacher said: "I got phone calls from a couple of Irish managers in the same week asking what the situation was with Alfie. I told them he was playing pre-season games for us and I thought he deserved that opportunity to show what he was about.

He didn't really get many games last season. We didn't have many behind-closed-doors games because of how congested the fixtures were, and he was injured for a large part of it, so we didn't see enough of him.

"I said to the Irish managers if he did well in the pre-season games then he was in the frame here, and he did do well to be fair to him, but I sat down with him and said 'Look, I honestly think that if I'm picking my team there are two or three I'm picking before you.'

"I told him it was his call if he wanted to move on, he was under no pressure, and he decided that where his career is at right now it would probably be best to go back (to Ireland) and play some games, rather than sit on the bench for six months, and be in and out.

"He chose to move on to Dundalk and I wish him all the best because he's a really good player. I know people didn't get to see that here but he's better than just sitting on the bench and getting 10 minutes here and there.

"He needs to play and we wish him all the best. Hopefully he will go over there and prove us wrong."

Schumacher added: "He had a bit of interest over here as well, to stay in this country, but they really know what he's about over there. The manager (O'Donnell) knows him inside out so he was dead keen to get it done.

"We managed to get a fee for him and he has gone over there with the intention of coming back again (to England) at one point.

Laughing Laughing

i laugh as it seems word for word what myself and a few others said was the reasons even down to the hes coming back to england soon comment.
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: 1st January signing is Alfie Lewis    1st January signing is Alfie Lewis  - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 28, 2022 7:44 pm

Graiser wrote:
RegGreen wrote:
Angry wrote:

Lewis Moves to Dundalk

the link wrote:

Good luck, Alfie.

Lewis picked up a serious injury so whatever the analytics suggested couldn’t come to fruition, i don’t think he’ll need replacing because based on his performance against Swansea I don’t think he’d had any chance of nailing down a regular starting place, in that game he was too easily knocked off the ball, L1 is probably too robust for him.
In regard to scouting, how do you think he came to Argyle’s attention being based in Ireland?

the injury was unfortunate for him to pick up so soon after arriving the club not match fit as he hadnt trained prior to joining us due to the irish league's season ending a few months prior. The club invested in him so gave him this pre season to show what he could do injury free and gave him games and clearly he didn't do enough to make Schumacher change his plans to include him.

As for how they knew about Alfie being based in Ireland he was targeted by Lowe in that summer while he was at west ham and he decided against signing him or lewis decided against coming here i forget which and he signed for the irish club whom he was on loan at previously. its on the os when we signed him that lowe wanted to bring him here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 1st January signing is Alfie Lewis    1st January signing is Alfie Lewis  - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

1st January signing is Alfie Lewis
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2