Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

What players do we need for 21/22 in League 1....

Go down 
+5
mouldyoldgoat
Freathy
Grovehill
Earwegoagain
harvetheslayer
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

Location : Wormwood Scrubs awaiting the imminent arrival of Johnson..

What players do we need for 21/22 in League 1.... Empty
PostSubject: What players do we need for 21/22 in League 1....   What players do we need for 21/22 in League 1.... EmptySat Apr 03, 2021 6:32 am

......pretty much safe so the question can be asked I think

For me Cooper has to go if we want to have a serious attempt on top 6. Mayor as well brings nothing to the team after nearly 2 years. Clearly Jepchott Ennis and Hardie will be here along with Camera.

Connor Grant has never really come the table albeit some decent games lately. We'll lose all the loanees anyway. George Cooper will return all guns blazing we hope. Byron Moore am surmising will be released.

So for me three new defenders plus a keeper (if hes not going to play Luke) and two midfielders to replace Mayor and Grant. With those replaced top 6 next season is a strong possibility
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: What players do we need for 21/22 in League 1....   What players do we need for 21/22 in League 1.... EmptySat Apr 03, 2021 8:29 am

What you need is new glasses, Mayor and Grant are some of our best players.
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

PostSubject: Re: What players do we need for 21/22 in League 1....   What players do we need for 21/22 in League 1.... EmptySat Apr 03, 2021 9:06 am

Earwegoagain wrote:

That's just your judgement based on what you see-that's soo 20th Century!

What matters in Argyle's brave new world is the statistics. Why listen to what an experienced football scout or coach says when an IT geek can run everything through a spreadsheet?
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: What players do we need for 21/22 in League 1....   What players do we need for 21/22 in League 1.... EmptySat Apr 03, 2021 9:24 am

A new manager would be nice
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What players do we need for 21/22 in League 1....   What players do we need for 21/22 in League 1.... EmptySat Apr 03, 2021 9:33 am

A whole new defence as we wont have one,
A creative central midfielder regardless if Mayor stays or not, Along with some better cover and options for the central midfield in the roles Camara and Fornah play as midfield will also be hit with out of contract players.
Wingbacks on both sides with pace and can cross a ball
and a Target man upfront.

Oh and i guess we may need backup keepers if McCormick and more than likely Ruddy dont stay.
Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

PostSubject: Re: What players do we need for 21/22 in League 1....   What players do we need for 21/22 in League 1.... EmptySat Apr 03, 2021 12:27 pm

Earwegoagain wrote:

Pray tell how many goals Mayor has scored.....can I still use the fingers of one hand ??
What about goals from Grant ?? Two hands needed ??
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: What players do we need for 21/22 in League 1....   What players do we need for 21/22 in League 1.... EmptySat Apr 03, 2021 12:46 pm

Grant has scored 4 and Mayor 2. Their contribution is assists with Grant with 11 and Mayor 5. I that is quite important.

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

PostSubject: Re: What players do we need for 21/22 in League 1....   What players do we need for 21/22 in League 1.... EmptySat Apr 03, 2021 1:53 pm

Angry wrote:
A creative central midfielder regardless if Mayor stays or not, Along with some better cover and options for the central midfield in the roles Camara and Fornah play as midfield will also be hit with out of contract players.

Oh and i guess we may need backup keepers if McCormick and more than likely Ruddy dont stay.

So a complete new team really
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: What players do we need for 21/22 in League 1....   What players do we need for 21/22 in League 1.... EmptySat Apr 03, 2021 3:18 pm

harvetheslayer wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:

Pray tell how many goals Mayor has scored.....can I still use the fingers of one hand ??
What about goals from Grant ??  Two hands needed ??

Sure he should score a few more but he isn't surrounded with quality although Jeppers has scored 18 as a good striker should. Also how many goals did the players that supplied the crosses for Reid score whilst Reid was banging in 25 plus per season? The main hole in your argument is that Mayor is in the top three Argyle players at the moment and we'd be mad to get rid of quality before shite. Also how many pro players have you heard commentating this season who all pile praise on Mayor without exception, I know who I'd rather listen to.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What players do we need for 21/22 in League 1....   What players do we need for 21/22 in League 1.... EmptySat Apr 03, 2021 4:52 pm

Players out of contract to keep
Mayor, Grant, Edwards, Aimson

Players in contract not fussed
Jephcott.

Players out of contract get rid
Moore, Reeves, Ruddy, Sawyer, McCormick
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What players do we need for 21/22 in League 1....   What players do we need for 21/22 in League 1.... EmptySat Apr 03, 2021 6:47 pm

Grovehill wrote:
Angry wrote:

So a complete new team really

well we will have no defenders even if Aimson stays or not so a whole new defense will be needed. So lets say 4-5 pending on Tomlinson staying or not and purrcell has signed up as a first year pro already. Sawyer i hope retires.

As i cant imagine Reeves and Macleod staying so they will need replacing Fornah goes back to forest so replacing them is a requirement and one of those needs to have creativity in the middle whether Mayor stays or not as we lack it. So another 3-4 max there obviously pending on contracts of Reeves and MacLeod. If Grant is out of contract keep him.

Lewis goes back to Liverpool and i cant see Moore staying so yes new wingbacks natural ones on both sides that can cross a ball. Edwards i hope stays but he hasn't got pace and we have no idea how G.Cooper's injury will affected him. so 2-3 max again pending on Moore and Edwards's contracts.

we need a tall target man up front we can stick on for the last 10-20 minutes who can hold the ball up and allow the other 3 strikers to make the runs as we don't have that atm. 1 I dont see Lolos being kept on as what has he done to warrant a new deal and besides he doesnt play that way?

and we certainly do need another keeper to keep M.Copper on his toes if McCormick isn't being kept on and Ruddy I'm sure wont be but i do like 3 keepers in a squad so that's open ended if ruddy is kept on and becomes number 2 or not.

so I make it 11-12 estimated pending on contracts so in a word yes pretty much.
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

PostSubject: Re: What players do we need for 21/22 in League 1....   What players do we need for 21/22 in League 1.... EmptySat Apr 03, 2021 7:53 pm

We have a creative midfielder, it's just the RL plays him as a wing back when he's fit.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What players do we need for 21/22 in League 1....   What players do we need for 21/22 in League 1.... EmptySat Apr 03, 2021 9:27 pm

Grovehill wrote:
We have a creative midfielder, it's just the RL plays him as a wing back when he's fit.

I acknowledged grant did i not? his versatility is useful for the side. the creativity side involves creating goals which is what we need more of.
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: What players do we need for 21/22 in League 1....   What players do we need for 21/22 in League 1.... EmptySat Apr 03, 2021 11:58 pm

Angry wrote:
Grovehill wrote:

I acknowledged grant did i not? his versatility is useful for the side. the creativity side involves creating goals which is what we need more of.

I think Grovy is talking about George Cooper?
Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

PostSubject: Re: What players do we need for 21/22 in League 1....   What players do we need for 21/22 in League 1.... EmptySun Apr 04, 2021 6:21 am

Rickler wrote:
Angry wrote:
Grovehill wrote:

Certainly is as its clearly not Grant.  Mayor is as good as gone as well no way can we justify spending a big part of the budget on one player who brings nothing to the table for 2 years...The most overrated player this last 50 years at HP

Ryan Lowe may well offer him a deal thats designed not to be accepted. Grant has to go as well same scenario.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What players do we need for 21/22 in League 1....   What players do we need for 21/22 in League 1.... EmptySun Apr 04, 2021 9:38 am

Rickler wrote:
Angry wrote:
Grovehill wrote:

and i mentioned him too so hes just being pedantic no one knows the state he will be in playing wise when he comes back so whether he remains out on the left wingback or retrains into a central midfielder which would take alot of work to start with remains to be seen.
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

PostSubject: Re: What players do we need for 21/22 in League 1....   What players do we need for 21/22 in League 1.... EmptySun Apr 04, 2021 10:45 am

I meant George Cooper

Who has the higher assist rate? I'd say Cooper by a mile
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: What players do we need for 21/22 in League 1....   What players do we need for 21/22 in League 1.... EmptySun Apr 04, 2021 11:43 am

Grovehill wrote:
I meant George Cooper

Thought you didn't believe in stats Grovey? Certainly seemed to be implied in an earlier post in the thread. Anyway FWIW,quite agree that stats can be misleadingly simplistic. As an example if you look at Argyle's first goal against Bristol Rovers then for sure Lewis made the cross and was accredited with the assist but it was set up by a ball inside the full back of superb vision and precision from Grant.I'm sure you remember players like Steve McCall much of whose work was from deeper positions and who may have not have played the ball which would have been classified as an assist but whose vision and class was actually the most important factor in the earlier part of a move.Maybe there should be an assists assists category as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What players do we need for 21/22 in League 1....   What players do we need for 21/22 in League 1.... EmptySun Apr 04, 2021 12:15 pm

Grovehill wrote:
I meant George Cooper

you'd be wrong for this season at least.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

not good reading that we score and create so little which is why we need more creativity regardless of mayor staying or not or just for you even though it didnt need mentioning cooper.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: What players do we need for 21/22 in League 1....   What players do we need for 21/22 in League 1.... EmptySun Apr 04, 2021 2:58 pm

The most worrying stat is being third from bottom in second half performances, well wierd as we are near the top of first half performance.
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

PostSubject: Re: What players do we need for 21/22 in League 1....   What players do we need for 21/22 in League 1.... EmptySun Apr 04, 2021 3:52 pm

Perhaps I'm looking at the wrong figures but G Cooper is way ahead of Mayor on Goals+assists per 90/minutes?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What players do we need for 21/22 in League 1....   What players do we need for 21/22 in League 1.... EmptySun Apr 04, 2021 4:12 pm

Grovehill wrote:
Perhaps I'm looking at the wrong figures but G Cooper is way ahead of Mayor on Goals+assists per 90/minutes?

That’s the trouble with statistics, they can be interpreted how you like, comparing Mayor’s assists whose played 25 games more than Cooper would seem to be unreasonable.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What players do we need for 21/22 in League 1....   What players do we need for 21/22 in League 1.... EmptySun Apr 04, 2021 4:18 pm

Grovehill wrote:

yes your trying to be technical rather than just read the obvious.

fact remains he contributed 2 goals and wasn't that great in truth before his injury and mayor has the same assists who also needs to increase that. Conor grant is top with 9 assists and hardie second with 6. Here are others with 2 assists and 1.

this was for league games btw you can check cup comps on there individual or all together if you want too.

Last edited by Angry on Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: What players do we need for 21/22 in League 1....   What players do we need for 21/22 in League 1.... EmptySun Apr 04, 2021 6:33 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Grovehill wrote:
I meant George Cooper

Thought you didn't believe in stats Grovey? Certainly seemed to be implied in an earlier post in the thread. Anyway FWIW,quite agree that stats can be misleadingly simplistic. As an example if you look at Argyle's first goal against Bristol Rovers then for sure Lewis made the cross and was accredited with the assist but it was set up by a ball inside the full back of superb vision and precision from Grant.I'm sure you remember players like Steve McCall much of whose work was from deeper positions and who may have not have played the ball which would have been classified as an assist but whose vision and class was actually the most important factor in the earlier part of a move.Maybe there should be an assists assists category as well.

There is apparently a "Key Pass" category which I think covers the sort of situation you describe.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: What players do we need for 21/22 in League 1....   What players do we need for 21/22 in League 1.... EmptySun Apr 04, 2021 6:44 pm

The type of role Mayor plays, he picks the ball up then goes forward and last year would put in Fadz who then crosses. This year it is more Grant.

People make me laugh who slag off Mayor. He wouldn’t be within a million miles of Home Park if he did all he does AND got ten goals and ten direct assists a year.

Mayor assists the assister. Always has done.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What players do we need for 21/22 in League 1....   What players do we need for 21/22 in League 1.... Empty

Back to top Go down

What players do we need for 21/22 in League 1....
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next