Earwegoagain
shonbo
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
shonbo

shonbo

Support UK Producers Empty
PostSubject: Support UK Producers   Support UK Producers EmptyFri Feb 19, 2021 6:58 am

Hi Gang,
As mentioned on another thread, I'm up for supporting British producers and keen to know who you rate etc.
Still trying to find that photo MOG

In the meantime if think you of great British producers please post here. I'd love to try your suggestions.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Support UK Producers   Support UK Producers EmptyFri Feb 19, 2021 12:26 pm

I'll add some links later when on the pc, very into the whole buy local thing.
Back to top Go down
shonbo

shonbo

PostSubject: Re: Support UK Producers   Support UK Producers EmptySat Feb 20, 2021 7:15 am

cheers
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Support UK Producers   Support UK Producers EmptySat Feb 20, 2021 9:37 am

Bring holidays into this as well, staycation that what our families are doing
Back to top Go down
Dog Bone Malone

Dog Bone Malone

PostSubject: Re: Support UK Producers   Support UK Producers EmptySat Feb 20, 2021 9:54 am

I shall be buying local from my local this evening, (to go, obviously). Thai meal for two and a crate of Jail Ale from the Royal Oak, which is an agonising 52 seconds to my front door!

God bless the village pub (link)

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Support UK Producers   Support UK Producers EmptySat Feb 20, 2021 2:47 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Day boat caught fish from Looe overnight DPD next day delivery.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Same as above.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Try their free range duck beautifully reared and presented we have their Geese every year for Christmas and as an ex Goose breeder and rearer I can honestly say they are as good as any Ive had.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] As it says on the tin.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Best Beef Ive ever had, grass fed, local rare breed pop into their shop at Pennygillam Launceston cracking Sausage and takeaway counter with home made pies and baps with bacon and sausage, Their dry cure Cornish bacon is awesome as well.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Not tried this yet but a cider drinking friend recommended.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: Support UK Producers   Support UK Producers EmptySat Feb 20, 2021 7:21 pm

Not putting any links up but one thing that really grinds my gears is anglers buying gear/tackle etc online, granted it's sometimes cheaper but often of poor quality and the local shops could do with the business. There are a few decent ones scattered around the muff but a particular fave of mine is sea view angling at faraday mill, very well stocked shop, best selection of lures I've seen(if that's your thing) and reasonably priced.
Back to top Go down
shonbo

shonbo

PostSubject: Re: Support UK Producers   Support UK Producers EmptySun Feb 21, 2021 10:32 am

Thanks for the links folks. I will try them all.
Looks like a cracking pub
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Support UK Producers   Support UK Producers EmptySun Feb 21, 2021 11:33 am

For balance I would never usually order food online this has just happened since lockdown I normally would drive to Plymouth or Looe to buy my fish.
Back to top Go down
shonbo

shonbo

PostSubject: Re: Support UK Producers   Support UK Producers EmptyMon Feb 22, 2021 7:30 am

That's a bit far for me Smile I just want to buy British and support these folk
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Support UK Producers   Support UK Producers EmptyMon Feb 22, 2021 9:37 am

That's fair enough although I do think over lockdown things have changed for the better with loads of people cutting out the middle men in the supply chain which means food is cheaper and fresher. As a nation we need to fall in love with fish again.
Back to top Go down
shonbo

shonbo

PostSubject: Re: Support UK Producers   Support UK Producers EmptyMon Feb 22, 2021 1:47 pm

Can I mainly do crab., oysters, mussels and lobster. I keep trying fish, yet to have a an ok moment yet alone a wow moment. What fish and recipe does anyone recommend. I would love to love fish.
PS don't mention salmon unless it's gravadlax
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Support UK Producers   Support UK Producers EmptyMon Feb 22, 2021 2:20 pm

love fish but im not a fan of cooking it fresh. frozen is about my limit
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Support UK Producers   Support UK Producers EmptyMon Feb 22, 2021 2:34 pm

Fish wise I only like cod or cod substitute (pollock?), salmon, tuna and a little bit of haddock. Just can’t eat shellfish except prawns and they have to be peeled or shell off.

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Support UK Producers   Support UK Producers EmptyMon Feb 22, 2021 2:37 pm

Farmed Salmon is fatty shite with on the whole a dodgy food source. If I were you Shonbo I'd try a small Lemon Sole, the whole fish not fillets it easily comes off the bone when cooked. fry in a little oil and butter on a medium heat for a few minutes each side. Better to undercook slightly than overlook nice golden brown skin colour mmm.
A classic finish is brown butter and capers a real piece of piss. Put the fish on a warm plate in a warm not hot oven to rest wipe your pan add an once of butter per person. Get your pan hot throw in the butter and leave it whilst it changes colour. When it's a nice nut brown chuck in a tablespoon one chopped capers pp and a good squeeze of lemon. The sauce takes less than five minutes. Plate up the fish and pour butter and capers over the fish.

Last edited by Earwegoagain on Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Support UK Producers   Support UK Producers EmptyMon Feb 22, 2021 2:45 pm

Local catch which is good Hake, Gilt Head Bream (not Greek farmed obvs) Plaice, and Soles including Lemon, Megrim Dovers, pricey but no more than a decent Steak. Gurnard fillets are lovely or you can bake a whole fish in a foil parcel with some wine and herbs.
Turbot is priced like Lonster but is the king of fish IMO and lets not forget the Monkfish used to be used and sold as Scampi in many a British pub.
Another nice recipe and better for people that don't like fishy fish is fried fish with rice and peas take your fish (you could use cheaper fish like Ling or Whiting fillets) rub with curry powder and season, fry until nice and crispy brown then serve with rice and peas in a caribean style, rice spring onions coconut milk chili and ginger with a tin of kidney beans.
Back to top Go down
shonbo

shonbo

PostSubject: Re: Support UK Producers   Support UK Producers EmptyMon Feb 22, 2021 6:59 pm

Earwegoagain wrote:
Farmed Salmon is fatty shite with on the whole a dodgy food source. If I were you Shonbo I'd try a small Lemon Sole, the whole fish not fillets it easily comes off the bone when cooked. fry in a little oil and butter on a medium heat for a few minutes each side. Better to undercook slightly than overlook nice golden brown skin colour mmm.
A classic finish is brown butter and capers a real piece of piss. Put the fish on a warm plate in a warm not hot oven to rest wipe your pan add an once of butter per person. Get your pan hot throw in the butter and leave it whilst it changes colour. When it's a nice nut brown chuck in a tablespoon one chopped capers pp and a good squeeze of lemon. The sauce takes less than five minutes. Plate up the fish and pour butter and capers over the fish.

Right. on a mission will report back
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Support UK Producers   Support UK Producers EmptyMon Feb 22, 2021 7:10 pm

Earwegoagain wrote:
Local catch which is good Hake, Gilt Head Bream (not Greek farmed obvs) Plaice, and Soles including Lemon, Megrim Dovers, pricey but no more than a decent Steak. Gurnard fillets are lovely or you can bake a whole fish in a foil parcel with some wine and herbs.
Turbot is priced like Lonster but is the king of fish IMO and lets not forget the Monkfish used to be used and sold as Scampi in many a British pub.
Another nice recipe and better for people that don't like fishy fish is fried fish with rice and peas take your fish (you could use cheaper fish like Ling or Whiting fillets) rub with curry powder and season, fry until nice and crispy brown then serve with rice and peas in a caribean style, rice spring onions coconut milk chili and ginger with a tin of kidney beans.

Ooh you’re making my mouth water. Very Happy

Bass, hands down for me. Best tasting fish in the sea. I love you
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Support UK Producers   Support UK Producers EmptyMon Feb 22, 2021 8:25 pm

Earwegoagain wrote:

that reminds me of the time i almost got nicked for poaching salmon when i was 17 at cotehele house,  Laughing Laughing Laughing but yes fresh is far nicer than farmed.
Back to top Go down
shonbo

shonbo

PostSubject: Re: Support UK Producers   Support UK Producers EmptyTue Feb 23, 2021 3:30 am

OK Sole first, then bass!!
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Support UK Producers   Support UK Producers EmptyTue Feb 23, 2021 11:00 am

Have you tried peppered Mackerel, not strictly local but tasty as fook.

I like all fish, fried or grilled, less is more I think.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Support UK Producers   Support UK Producers EmptyTue Feb 23, 2021 2:06 pm

March is going to be a bit of a health kick month for me (much needed as 12 months of Covid living has seen me gain a fookin stone Crying or Very sad ) so I’ll be eating a lot of fish, eggs & lean meats. I will endeavour to try one or two species I haven’t yet tasted.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Support UK Producers   Support UK Producers EmptyTue Feb 23, 2021 2:13 pm

shonbo wrote:
OK Sole first, then bass!!

Ask the fishmonger for whole fish for one person, take off head and trim frills. Easy to do with scissors but they will happily do it for you, fillets are delicious but I don't think you can beat a fish cooked on the bone.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Support UK Producers   Support UK Producers EmptyTue Feb 23, 2021 2:15 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:

Ooh you’re making my mouth water. Very Happy

Bass, hands down for me. Best tasting fish in the sea. I love you

Who doesn't love a Bass? I would say that the Bream is its equal.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Support UK Producers   Support UK Producers EmptyTue Feb 23, 2021 2:18 pm

seadog wrote:
Have you tried peppered Mackerel, not strictly local but tasty as fook.

I like all fish, fried or grilled, less is more I think.  

Agreed it's why I like Rick Stien, fresh fish, simply cooked.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Support UK Producers   Support UK Producers Empty

Back to top Go down

Support UK Producers
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next