Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.

Go down 
+15
Greenlander
seadog
PatDunne
Tringreen
Rickler
harvetheslayer
zyph
mouldyoldgoat
Les Miserable
Czarcasm
Earwegoagain
Tgwu
Freathy
Dog Bone Malone
akagreengull
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
AuthorMessage

Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 6 EmptyMon Sep 28, 2020 4:14 pm

Angry wrote:
mouldyoldgoat wrote:
Outside the player/ officials entrance next to the lighthouse? raised eyebrow Very Happy

But wont that lighthouse ruin peoples sea views from peverell? Very Happy

Hopefully yes
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 6 EmptyMon Sep 28, 2020 4:58 pm

Angry wrote:
i wonder where they are putting the statue
Illogan, alongside the one of Cornwalls most famous Janner. cheers cheers cheers lol!
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 6 EmptyMon Sep 28, 2020 6:49 pm

Very Happy

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 6 EmptyWed Mar 16, 2022 9:06 pm

an unnamed road leading to home park is to be named after jack leslie after plans to rename hawkins square after him appear to be dropped.

As nice a touch as that is to go alongside the statue, Maybe one day PCC will acknowledge a guy who actually played for England the first black player and remained so till 1988! and was kicked out of the england Rugby union team on the orders of south africa due to apartheid his name was James Peters who played for Albion. That would be a nice touch to see rather than jump on the jack leslie bandwagon because they cant think of any other black footballer to use to win votes.
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 6 EmptyWed Jul 27, 2022 9:50 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

thought it might be of interest to some hope they are successful.
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 6 EmptyMon Aug 08, 2022 3:52 pm

7th October the statue will be unveiled at a ceremony at the stadium. The location of the statue will be in the corner between the devonport end and lyndhurst stand
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 6 EmptyMon Aug 08, 2022 7:16 pm

I have to admit I thought it would be in front of the Mayflower Stand.

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 6 EmptyMon Aug 08, 2022 8:14 pm

mouldyoldgoat wrote:
I have to admit I thought it would be in front of the Mayflower Stand.

i did too at first but after thinking about it, the location they picked makes more sense when you take into account that outside the grandstand is earmarked for redevelopment when pigs fly. This would at least save the club the trouble of having to move the statue or remove completely and relocate it in the future while that work is going on.

Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 6 EmptyMon Aug 08, 2022 9:42 pm

Angry wrote:
7th October the statue will be unveiled at a ceremony at the stadium. The location of the statue will be in the corner between the devonport end and lyndhurst stand

For me, it’s almost a bit disrespectful to shunt it down to the Spion Kop corner.

Shorely if you are commemorating something like this, it ought to be showcased to arriving teams and any other dignitaries coming to Home Park?
Back to top Go down
RegGreen

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 6 EmptyMon Aug 08, 2022 10:20 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
Angry wrote:

For me, it’s almost a bit disrespectful to shunt it down to the Spion Kop corner.

Shorely if you are commemorating something like this, it ought to be showcased to arriving teams and any other dignitaries coming to Home Park?
excatly should be outside the mayflower if the gunna do it properly
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 6 EmptyMon Oct 03, 2022 7:02 pm

thought some may like to read west ham's write up on Jack.
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 6 EmptyTue Oct 04, 2022 8:35 pm

Angry wrote:

Well written interesting link, thanks for posting.
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 6 EmptyFri Oct 07, 2022 8:37 am

Unveiling today, good feature on Jack's story on radio 4 this morning.
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 6 EmptyFri Oct 07, 2022 2:52 pm

just seen the statue now looks very good better than i thought it would to be fair. I see the FA have awarded Jack an England Cap for acknowledgement of their racism at the time which i thought was a nice touch.

Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 6 EmptySat Oct 08, 2022 8:58 am

Looked a good day and good to see Jack got a posthumous England cap.

Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 6 EmptySat Oct 08, 2022 10:33 am

akagreengull wrote:
Angry wrote:

Well written interesting link, thanks for posting.

a follow up, turns out they donated to the fund and there is a plaque there commemorating jack's time as a bootboy at West Ham.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 6 EmptySat Oct 08, 2022 10:56 am

Statue looks really great. One of the better football statues I've seen.
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 6 EmptyMon Oct 17, 2022 4:47 pm

its iin the spirit of jack leslie so i post this here rather than post a new thread.

Plymouth Albion are raising money starting today for their own statue to be displayed somewhere in Plymouth (tbd) of Jimmy Peters the first black England international who played for them.

hopefully they are successful in this venture bit supprised they are not having the statue outside the brickfields though.
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 6 EmptySat Jun 24, 2023 12:38 pm

i was walking past the Jack Leslie statue today and i couldn't help but feel we missed a great opportunity by not talking west ham into a friendly for a pre season and unveiled that statue then.

Not that what the club did was bad at the time but imo given West Ham where backers and supporters of the statue project, he worked for them for many years after his playing retirement as a boot boy and was much loved by the club and players over the years.
I dont think they would have taken too much convincing to play us here or even sent a team down at least and unveiled the statue before that game which would have been a sellout especially in hindsight given both clubs are coming off winning trophies, raised some money for charity alongside, given jack has England cap speech etc. to me that would have been a perfect way to honor jack and his statue unveiling.

just a thought i had. thought id share.
Back to top Go down
RegGreen

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 6 EmptySat Jun 24, 2023 1:59 pm

Angry wrote:
i was walking past the Jack Leslie statue today and i couldn't help but feel we missed a great opportunity by not talking west ham into a friendly for a pre season and unveiled that statue then.

Not that what the club did was bad at the time but imo given West Ham where backers and supporters of the statue project, he worked for them for many years after his playing retirement as a boot boy and was much loved by the club and players over the years.
I dont think they would have taken too much convincing to play us here or even sent a team down at least and unveiled the statue before that game which would have been a sellout especially in hindsight given both clubs are coming off winning trophies, raised some money for charity alongside, given jack has England cap speech etc. to me that would have been a perfect way to honor jack and his statue unveiling.

here’s another thought …I think where the statue deserves a better place than that arse end corner of the stadium him and his family deserve so much better it should be up by the mayflower where dignitaries and opposing teams can see it when they arrive at Home park in my opinion should be relocated to the mayflower
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 6 EmptySat Jun 24, 2023 2:35 pm

RegGreen wrote:
Angry wrote:

here’s another thought …I think where the statue deserves a better place than that arse end corner of the stadium him and his family deserve so much better it should be up by the mayflower where dignitaries and opposing teams can see it when they arrive at Home park in my opinion should be relocated to the mayflower

while those corners and the never ending lie of redeveloping the carpark remain in the background i dont see them moving the statue there as they would only have to move it back while building work went on. i dont see a huge issue with where it is not like the statue isnt seen by people or ignored where it is now. I would like the club to have a statue of luggy one day perhaps the club could do something in the fanzone that could home jack and if ever a luggy statue like some clubs do...
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 6 EmptySat Jun 24, 2023 3:38 pm

What about a Darren Moore statue?
Back to top Go down
Angry

Angry

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 6 EmptySat Jun 24, 2023 3:59 pm

Les Miserable wrote:

with a big banner saying thankyou for the 2023 league one title? im up for that lol
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 6 EmptySat Jun 24, 2023 6:43 pm

Angry wrote:
Les Miserable wrote:

with a big banner saying thankyou for the 2023 league one title?   im up for that lol

cheers
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 6 EmptyTue Oct 31, 2023 8:49 pm

Just finished reading the Jack Leslie book. A very good read.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.
Page 6 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6