Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.

Go down 
+15
Greenlander
seadog
PatDunne
Tringreen
Rickler
harvetheslayer
zyph
mouldyoldgoat
Les Miserable
Czarcasm
Earwegoagain
Tgwu
Freathy
Dog Bone Malone
akagreengull
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. Empty
PostSubject: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. EmptyWed Jul 01, 2020 8:27 am

Campaign to erect statue at HP discussed today on radio Devon with family and Gordon Sparks, and mentioned on radio 4 news, Simon Hallett is supportive and Viv Anderson Englands first Black player in 1978 also backs the campaign.
"Having a statue promoted by our fans and funded by fans is a statement by them that they are joining the fight against racism in football," Plymouth chairman Simon Hallett told BBC News.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Dog Bone Malone

Dog Bone Malone

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. EmptyWed Jul 01, 2020 8:47 am

That's great until some far right wack-job takes umbrage to something like this and defaces it or worse.

Don't forget we're in a cultural and societal void down 'ere'. The figures for banjo and swamp canoe ownership bear testament to this. Laughing

Personally, I don't like statues outside of football grounds. It's divisiveness usually has fans at each others throats for decades.

As far as the fight against racism in footy - haven't we got the 'Red Card' and 'Kick It Out' campaign?
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. EmptyWed Jul 01, 2020 9:04 am

Good coverage of the campaign on BBC Breakfast this morning and they're going to keep following the story. He could have been a great England player but was deprived of that for the most unjust of reasons. Argo were deprived of having a full England international while still an Argo player.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. EmptyWed Jul 01, 2020 9:19 am

Freathy wrote:
Good coverage of the campaign on BBC Breakfast this morning and they're going to keep following the story.  He could have been a great England player but was deprived of that for the most unjust of reasons. Argo were deprived of having a full England international while still an Argo player.

Right up bbc alley is this statue campaign despite it startied well before the extreme left wing militants known as blm/antifa dominated their news agendas. I'm waiting for Tudor to step in and announce the councils stupidly and idiotically done jack leslie square pr stunt to jump on these guys campaign.

If the statue guys are smart they wont make this political and stay well away from the BLM.
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. EmptyWed Jul 01, 2020 9:51 am

POI wrote:
That's great until some far right wack-job takes umbrage to something like this and defaces it or worse.

Should this thread be in Mayflower. I think the statue will be inside the fence by the main entrance
Back to top Go down
Dog Bone Malone

Dog Bone Malone

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. EmptyWed Jul 01, 2020 9:53 am

Tgwu wrote:
POI wrote:

Should this thread be in Mayflower. I think the statue will be inside the fence by the main entrance

Cheers Tg. To be fair, I had no idea where it is to be situated.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. EmptyWed Jul 01, 2020 9:54 am

I'm just trying to figure out how bad this statue will look? For making a Bronze life sized sculpture first you need a sculptor of way more than average ability, they then need to make a frame then spend literally months making the figure from clay which is then fired to make the plug which is then turned into a mould then cast by a foundry. I'd guess at a figure North of fifty grand. We will probably end up with some resin based object that looks worse than a Matt Lucas black face character.
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. EmptyWed Jul 01, 2020 9:55 am

Angry wrote:
Freathy wrote:
Good coverage of the campaign on BBC Breakfast this morning and they're going to keep following the story.  He could have been a great England player but was deprived of that for the most unjust of reasons. Argo were deprived of having a full England international while still an Argo player.

Right up bbc alley is this statue campaign despite it startied well before the extreme left wing militants known as blm/antifa dominated their news agendas. I'm waiting for Tudor to step in and announce the councils stupidly and idiotically done jack leslie square pr stunt to jump on these guys campaign.

If the statue guys are smart they wont make this political and stay well away from the BLM.

It started

JAMIE Redknapp and Patrice Evra ditched the Black Lives Matter badges on Sky Sports last night after the movement's controversial statements criticising Israel.

The pair, along with host Kelly Cates and commentator Gary Neville, were not wearing the badges during the coverage of Brighton vs Manchester United.
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. EmptyWed Jul 01, 2020 10:00 am

Freathy wrote:
Good Post
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. EmptyWed Jul 01, 2020 10:03 am

Tgwu wrote:
POI wrote:

I was wondering about whether to post in the Mayflower, if others think so then easy to move it, good to hear PAFC being talked about in the national media for positive reasons, in relation to such an unjust story.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. EmptyWed Jul 01, 2020 10:18 am

I take it all back looks like they are hoping to raise £100k. Club chairman Simon Hallett is fully behind the fans raising the money.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. EmptyWed Jul 01, 2020 10:20 am

It was one of the Radio1 newsbeat headlines this morning and Gary Lineker has just tweeted about it.

That sort of publicity can raise a lot of money very fast. It’d be a pretty nice thing to do for his remaining family, and also would be quite a landmark statue for the club. Nothing BLM or political. Just recognition for someone who thoroughly deserves it.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. EmptyWed Jul 01, 2020 10:24 am

Earwegoagain wrote:
I take it all back looks like they are hoping to raise £100k. Club chairman Simon Hallett is fully behind the fans raising the money.

Tbf Ears that’s what the whole thing is about - it means a lot more when thousands are a part of making it happen, rather than someone like Hallett funding it in some sort of perceived PR stunt.

Edited to add...£23k raised already
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. EmptyWed Jul 01, 2020 11:08 am

Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. EmptyWed Jul 01, 2020 11:08 am

Can't wait to see Argyle Ian interviewed about the subject on sky and the beeb jocolor geek
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. EmptyWed Jul 01, 2020 11:12 am

akagreengull wrote:
£24,415 raised so far.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. EmptyWed Jul 01, 2020 11:38 am

akagreengull wrote:
akagreengull wrote:
£24,415 raised so far.

Harve will spontaneously combust when he see’s who one of the people involved in this is. cherry
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. EmptyWed Jul 01, 2020 12:07 pm

Tgwu wrote:
Angry wrote:
Freathy wrote:

It started

JAMIE Redknapp and Patrice Evra ditched the Black Lives Matter badges on Sky Sports last night after the movement's controversial statements criticising Israel.

The pair, along with host Kelly Cates and commentator Gary Neville, were not wearing the badges during the coverage of Brighton vs Manchester United.

Good on them, its clear as crystal that BLM is Antifa under another name and they are a far as far goes left with extremist views using the outcry of george floyds murder to push their agenda and stir up racial tensions encouraging anarchy i statues being pulled down and vandalised. The media are waking up to what they have been supporting when they came out with their anti israel statements. It was never about black lives matter but bring down capitalism by force.

which back on point is why this group pushing for Jack's statue must stay well away from this.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. EmptyWed Jul 01, 2020 12:15 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
akagreengull wrote:
akagreengull wrote:
£24,415 raised so far.

Harve will spontaneously combust when he see’s who one of the people involved in this is. cherry

I thought they were friends now.

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. EmptyWed Jul 01, 2020 12:56 pm

Moved by me.

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. EmptyWed Jul 01, 2020 1:15 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:

Tbf Ears that’s what the whole thing is about - it means a lot more when thousands are a part of making it happen, rather than someone like Hallett funding it in some sort of perceived PR stunt.

Edited to add...£23k raised already

I know mate I just can't resist a cheap jibe. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. EmptyWed Jul 01, 2020 1:19 pm

27K now!

Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. EmptyWed Jul 01, 2020 1:21 pm

On the BBC National News....1pm today.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. EmptyWed Jul 01, 2020 1:22 pm

it will reach its target for sure probably by friday at this rate which is a good thing.

how much did nool put in just to make sure pasoti's name is all over it?
Back to top Go down
Dog Bone Malone

Dog Bone Malone

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. EmptyWed Jul 01, 2020 2:26 pm

Angry wrote:
it will reach its target for sure probably by friday at this rate which is a good thing.

how much did nool put in just to make sure pasoti's name is all over it?

That would be just wrong, Angers. Mad  There should be no wording anywhere near it other than mentioning the name, date and perhaps a couplet to why, in my opinion. which, of course counts for feck all.

If this is to happen - whoever is commissioned to do it, make sure it's not the guy who did Ronado's bronze bust. FFS. It'll end up looking like a bronze, black, Worzel Gummidge! Laughing

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Last edited by POI on Thu Jul 02, 2020 8:12 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. Empty

Back to top Go down

Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next