Tringreen
Lord Tisdale
Coxside_Green
shonbo
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
AuthorMessage

James Brent on Spotlight Tonight - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: James Brent on Spotlight Tonight   James Brent on Spotlight Tonight - Page 7 EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 11:35 pm

Of course it's all about opinions. I spent 14 years in the Navy travelling around abroad and in this Country and even though I was born and bred in Plymouth spent a total of 3 years here out of that time. Admitedly is was back in the 60s and 70s. The one thing I learned was that Plymouth is as good as anywhere I went and better than a lot. People who live in a place seldom appreciate it even if it is pointed out to them. What do we lack? A night life perhaps akin to the westend of London but most places lack that. Scenery? Try a walk on the Hoe. We all suck straws and drive tractors? Hardly. The only down side is we are a long way from the Centre of the Country which to a lot of people who move here to live is a blessing rather than a curse. And we have pasties. That trumps a lot of places for a start. If people who hail from here sell it short then it wouldn't be a surprise if others did because of that would it. Holloway was right. Talk it up not down. As for the transfer market you won't convince me so as said we will have to agree to disagree there.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: James Brent on Spotlight Tonight   James Brent on Spotlight Tonight - Page 7 EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 12:05 am

I think Plymouth should be so much more than it is.

I like Sensiblegreen being here.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: James Brent on Spotlight Tonight   James Brent on Spotlight Tonight - Page 7 EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 6:32 am

Sensiblegreeny wrote:
Of course it's all about opinions. I spent 14 years in the Navy travelling around abroad and in this Country and even though I was born and bred in Plymouth spent a total of 3 years here out of that time. Admitedly is was back in the 60s and 70s. The one thing I learned was that Plymouth is as good as anywhere I went and better than a lot. People who live in a place seldom appreciate it even if it is pointed out to them. What do we lack? A night life perhaps akin to the westend of London but most places lack that. Scenery? Try a walk on the Hoe. We all suck straws and drive tractors? Hardly. The only down side is we are a long way from the Centre of the Country which to a lot of people who move here to live is a blessing rather than a curse. And we have pasties. That trumps a lot of places for a start. If people who hail from here sell it short then it wouldn't be a surprise if others did because of that would it. Holloway was right. Talk it up not down. As for the transfer market you won't convince me so as said we will have to agree to disagree there.

In the main I agree with you SG. I've seen enough of other towns and cities nationwide to appreciate how good we have it down here. Would people choose to move to London if they could get a comparable career/salary down here? Of course they wouldn't. In my opinion, quality of life here is pretty much as good as it gets in the UK, all things considered.

Many managers have said half the battle is getting them here initially. Once they're here, and settled into the Westcountry life, the majority love it.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: James Brent on Spotlight Tonight   James Brent on Spotlight Tonight - Page 7 EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 7:51 am

Sensiblegreeny wrote:
So the message from Tringy all the way from Cyprus is agree with me or I will use a childish made up name to make you look silly. You have the nerve to complain about PASOTI and it's shouting down of anyone who doesn't follow the party line and do exactly the same youself on ATD. Perhaps you should transfer your posts to that site instead where you would clearly be at home.

I have not said anywhere that I am a believer in all things Argyle or Brent. Just because I have the opinion that players go where they can get a contract does not make it blinkered. I still believe that and that Argyle cannot sign players is a myth. Somehow people are asked to believe that Argyle are different to all other clubs. We have to pay more or offer bigger inducements. No we don't and have signed plenty of players in our time from this impossible position. Players will come here if the move is right for them and are getting paid. And that has nothing to do with loving Brent either.

Can't post on Pasoti mate. They banned me for repeatedl telling them not to trust in Stapes...................... so I called them Big Gay Bears lol!

Like Aviva, it's not that bad is it ? But it does get the attention of even the most dimwitted lol!

By the way, I think enough managers, even Pulis & Holloway have gone on record as saying it is not easy to entice ambitious players down here, without clauses, as with SEB.

Always remember Jimmy Greaves, years ago on Football Focus, talking about Everton visiting Plymouth in the Cup. He said,

"I played at Plymouth once. It's so far south and wrest that it should be in the Spanish League !" lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: James Brent on Spotlight Tonight   James Brent on Spotlight Tonight - Page 7 EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 4:31 pm

My objection to the use of the word "Aviva" to describe somebody is the way in which you use it and yes it comes across as an insult in those terms. Just because somebody talks Argyle up or doesn't quite see the new owner in the worst possible light for everything does not make them blinkered or sucking ass either.

Ok, Argyle hit the skids and the last few years have been desperate. Anyone with a modicombe of intelligence could see that the club was in shit street and that the owners were not going to save it. This in my view has soured some people's view of the club to such an extent that they cannot see anything good at any time regarding them. The Manager is a novice and the squad a bit thin in talent and experience themselves in a number of incidents. But still not everything is bad at all times. It has however become the norm, on this site especially, to not only expect poor things but to look for it even where it doesn't neccessarily exist. Everybody knew that this season was going to be hard from the outset. We were in Admin at the start, had a baby faced squad of thrown together players even though at the time an experienced manager. We were never going to have loads of cash thrown at us even when the Admin part was sorted and we also knew that. Why then the shock horror stories when what was expected comes true. Given no pre-season like the rest of this league and an almost brand new squad of kids, I think we have done remarkably well to even be in contention to remain in the leagues.

We have no idea what any other purchaser may or may not have done with the club. We have no idea if marketted differently whether there would have been others even willing to buy us. The one fact we have is that Brent did buy us out of Admin, however he achieved it, and did so without making wild promises. He has pretty much done what he said he would do. We always knew there was a building programme attached which would be likely whoever had bought the club anyway. No shocks there either. At least he was prepared to give it a shot which is why people are grateful to some extent. That isn't ass licking it is grateful acceptance of that and that alone. The argument regarding how much information should be shared with the supporters about the purchase is a seperate issue. My view is that this is a business and as customers we have no given right to be told everything about the purchase. It would be nice to know but I don't expect to be told anytime soon. Again that is not an acceptance of everything Brent has done or will do it is more being a realist.

Now if all of the above makes me an Aviva in your eyes then well I guess that is where I will remain because dismissing the opinions of other people by calling them something makes no counter argument it is just exactly that, name calling.

Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: James Brent on Spotlight Tonight   James Brent on Spotlight Tonight - Page 7 EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 6:02 pm

My oh my, you're a determined sort. Have we crossed swords before ?

There's little point in us debating further as we will never agree .It becomes monotonous. At least on here, you are allowed a voice. You are clearly not a complete Aviva as Avivas can't BGB alternative opinions but you must realise that you are largely pi$$ing into the wind on here ?

ps how about changing to your Pasoti username. Your ATD name is a tad misleading. Wink
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: James Brent on Spotlight Tonight   James Brent on Spotlight Tonight - Page 7 EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 7:18 pm

I was Christened Sensiblegreeny so it is my real name for good or ill. Not a member of PASOTI now or ever previously so have no user name on there made up or real. My son blows the "we love Brent" bugle on there for me just so you know it runs in the family. As far as I can see we aren't disagreeing about anything. Reason being you can't type past "your name is Aviva" to raise an alternative argument unless you think that is an argument in itself and all you need to say. Must save you hours of thought. As for persistent, I have nothing better to do than answer football website posts. Have all the time in the world.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: James Brent on Spotlight Tonight   James Brent on Spotlight Tonight - Page 7 EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 7:59 pm

Sensiblegreeny wrote:
Have all the time in the world.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Just beautiful....

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: James Brent on Spotlight Tonight   James Brent on Spotlight Tonight - Page 7 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 1:18 pm

Sensiblegreeny wrote:
My objection to the use of the word "Aviva" to describe somebody is the way in which you use it and yes it comes across as an insult in those terms. Just because somebody talks Argyle up or doesn't quite see the new owner in the worst possible light for everything does not make them blinkered or sucking ass either.

Ok, Argyle hit the skids and the last few years have been desperate. Anyone with a modicombe of intelligence could see that the club was in shit street and that the owners were not going to save it. This in my view has soured some people's view of the club to such an extent that they cannot see anything good at any time regarding them. The Manager is a novice and the squad a bit thin in talent and experience themselves in a number of incidents. But still not everything is bad at all times. It has however become the norm, on this site especially, to not only expect poor things but to look for it even where it doesn't neccessarily exist. Everybody knew that this season was going to be hard from the outset. We were in Admin at the start, had a baby faced squad of thrown together players even though at the time an experienced manager. We were never going to have loads of cash thrown at us even when the Admin part was sorted and we also knew that. Why then the shock horror stories when what was expected comes true. Given no pre-season like the rest of this league and an almost brand new squad of kids, I think we have done remarkably well to even be in contention to remain in the leagues.

We have no idea what any other purchaser may or may not have done with the club. We have no idea if marketted differently whether there would have been others even willing to buy us. The one fact we have is that Brent did buy us out of Admin, however he achieved it, and did so without making wild promises. He has pretty much done what he said he would do. We always knew there was a building programme attached which would be likely whoever had bought the club anyway. No shocks there either. At least he was prepared to give it a shot which is why people are grateful to some extent. That isn't ass licking it is grateful acceptance of that and that alone. The argument regarding how much information should be shared with the supporters about the purchase is a seperate issue. My view is that this is a business and as customers we have no given right to be told everything about the purchase. It would be nice to know but I don't expect to be told anytime soon. Again that is not an acceptance of everything Brent has done or will do it is more being a realist.

Now if all of the above makes me an Aviva in your eyes then well I guess that is where I will remain because dismissing the opinions of other people by calling them something makes no counter argument it is just exactly that, name calling.

After the last debacle before and during admin. I always swore that I would never let another owner have it so easy. This does not mean that I am a lesser supporter than you, it does not mean I would do anything to under mine the club. What it does mean is that I will question the appointment of Fletch for instance, I personally thought it was gambling of the highest order that could end up with another admin. period and all the staff sacked when we were relegated again). I am also going to ask questions about the cost of the club to Brent and his motives for owning it, especially as a lot of the people that know the answers to these questions don't want them being asked and would rather waffle and insult people for days rather than just answer them. I will not let up in my questioning of Brent, I think he is a nice guy, I also think he has seen an opportunity to add to his hotel portfolio at very little cost. If and when he builds his new place and gifts all the money made from non match day income to the club to supplement the match day income I might say sorry I had you wrong, but until that day, I am watching like a hawk.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: James Brent on Spotlight Tonight   James Brent on Spotlight Tonight - Page 7 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 7:27 pm

That's absolutely fine Iggy as long as you complain about things that are wrong and not just complain about everything for the sake of it which I think some people do. Not everything at Argyle is wrong or has some mysterious motive. As for you questions about the money side of the purchase, well, best of luck but don't expect to be given the inside info anytime soon. You are not entitled to have it and Brent is not obliged to give it whilst as I said, it would be nice to know.

It seems to me that if anyone says you have no entitlement to info then somehow this is siding with the Management. It isn't and that is not what I have said anywhere. It is plainly just a fact of business life. Just because you don't complain about every little thing done or not done then this is wearing funny coloured glasses. It's not. You knew long ago that any purchaser of Argyle would include a building clause in the deal. That is long before Brent signed any dotted line and you knew all of the other prospective purchasers would be doing the same. Nobody has hoodwinked anyone here. Still doesn't mean I automatically trust everything Brent does or will do. We have been badly bitten before so any trust an owner gets from here on in has to be earned but I won't automatically mistrust every single thing that is done. Each on it's merits in my view.
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: James Brent on Spotlight Tonight   James Brent on Spotlight Tonight - Page 7 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 8:25 pm

SG,
I agree with your take on Brent and his 'right' to keep the finiancial (and other aspects of the deal) secret.
I like you, also think that he will choose to do so (although I have a small hope that we will see 'transparency').

So, how does that 'square' with his promise to give the GasB the ability to hold the board "accountable".

How will he circumvent the paradox?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: James Brent on Spotlight Tonight   James Brent on Spotlight Tonight - Page 7 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 8:48 pm

I'm not sure there is anything necessarily to square to be honest. "Keep the Board accountable" for what exactly. Not the purchase of the club which is a done deal. Future funding and finacial running of the club I can see. He doesn't have to give them chapter and verse on his original deal for that to happen. As you've said, I don't think we will ever know anything about the actual purchase no matter how much people push and question. Wouldn't we all love to know the inside story.

As I've said, my main complaint is that people complain about everything whatever it is and that plainly isn't right. Save the powder and keep it dry for when it might be needed and don't waste it on futile moaning.
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: James Brent on Spotlight Tonight   James Brent on Spotlight Tonight - Page 7 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 8:53 pm

Sensiblegreeny wrote:
Future funding and finacial running of the club I can see.

You can?

Explain how that might work then?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: James Brent on Spotlight Tonight   James Brent on Spotlight Tonight - Page 7 EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 9:12 pm

I don't profess to be an accountant and haven't taken much notice of what has been promised regarding the GasB either. I assume the openess will be in keeping the books open for scrutiny and keeping him honest if he makes promises of financial input. Seeing details of how the development will benefit Argyle and all the money made not entering his own pocket for example. If somebody with money is brought into the club then what they are about and their intentions. All these things are possible/probable but the initial deal will remain in the locked drawer.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: James Brent on Spotlight Tonight   James Brent on Spotlight Tonight - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

James Brent on Spotlight Tonight
Page 7 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7