Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

whats keeping the fans in football

Go down 
AuthorMessage

whats keeping the fans in football Empty
PostSubject: whats keeping the fans in football   whats keeping the fans in football EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 4:15 pm

Football has turned into a business, and that’s all it is considered to be by those who actually have control over the actions a club makes, nobody can deny this.

I think it’s fair to say that rugby has not blossomed as a business in the way football has, or at least in the lower leagues, like Plymouth Albion. Therefore it makes you wonder why football remains the pivotal and most supported sport in the United Kingdom and in many other countries around the world, especially in Europe.

Football is a business because of the fans, they are the element that holds all others together, they are the bread in the sandwich, otherwise, football would collapse.

Even though cricket is officially the nations national sport its fair to say football has been a popular game throughout its history which spans 140 years in some cases.

Its very rare you see the 4th tier of a sport be recognised on a national level and often alongside premier league matches, especially on the television.

Many say football is a passion, a passion that wont die but many are also saying [with particular regard to our situation] that that passion is being sucked right out of the clubs with the likes of property developers invading clubs with a big fat check.

Luckily, some big clubs still remain owned by “rich people” but with a passion for the club they own. An example of this would the Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley, we see him at every single match with a black and white scarf on, I don’t know whether he is supporting the team to force some money out of it but its still an element of passion that is vanishing from football at a rather rapid pace. Another example would have to be Chelsea, and if you have read “Chelsea – a history” the sections from owner Roman Abramovich are rather inspiring.

Managers, now here are people who have a real passion for the club and even the younger ones coming up through have limited interest in the business side of things. Peter Reid is a pure football man, he respects what happens behind the scenes in the board room but rightly chooses to not become too involved.

Other tales which hold the passion of football are kept within two other books I have read, “My story by Fernando Torres” is a jaw dropping description of the work Rafa Benitez put into Liverpool football club and also “Alex Ferguson – Managing my life” is a worthwhile read also.

Anyway, thats all slightly beside the point and its time to get onto how this all relates to support for football clubs.

Many say supporting a football club is a thrill and many say its something to do on a Saturday. My query is why do football fans not switch to a sport which is not dominated solely by multi-millionaires, even though then that sport would be developed financially and we would have to return to football anyway. I find the answer to be loyalty, football is not a game you can switch from easily.

All this relates purely to Plymouth Argyle, we don’t and certainly have not had a Mike Ashley/Abramovich type in recent years.

How long can a club like Plymouth Argyle continue to fuelled by supporters, and indeed, football itself because at present, a dark future looks possible.

Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: whats keeping the fans in football   whats keeping the fans in football EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 5:00 pm

You goin Shrewsbury ? jocolor
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: whats keeping the fans in football   whats keeping the fans in football EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 5:15 pm

Can we have Cobi back please?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: whats keeping the fans in football   whats keeping the fans in football EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 5:23 pm

Tring: Yes, I am going to Shrewsbury
Frank: I assure you I am an A* student in media and English, I have researched into uni courses of sports journalism
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: whats keeping the fans in football   whats keeping the fans in football EmptyTue Jun 21, 2011 5:43 pm

Let me see now. Media studies and Ingerlish ? ...mmmmmmm .... well worth 9K a year.. jocolor
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: whats keeping the fans in football   whats keeping the fans in football Empty

Back to top Go down

whats keeping the fans in football
Page 1 of 1