Greenlander
Sir Francis Drake
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Innocent Egbunike

Innocent Egbunike

ATD Film Club - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: ATD Film Club   ATD Film Club - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 18, 2018 11:10 am

Czarcasm wrote:
Undoubtedly my fav actor. Drexyl my fav baddie. Great clip here from my fav film...

Brilliant character and film...'ah, I know I'm pretty, but I'm not as pretty as a..'

The best Tarantino film that wasn't a Tarantino film.
Back to top Go down
Innocent Egbunike

Innocent Egbunike

PostSubject: Re: ATD Film Club   ATD Film Club - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 18, 2018 11:17 am

MikeWN wrote:
I'm a bit younger again (and given that I'm 40, it shows what a bunch or old buggers we are here) so I was going out on Union Street in the mid-to-late 90s when the Warehouse waned and JFKs became more popular. Jesters was ever-present though, despite (or perhaps because of) it being a dump. It seemed sketchier at the start of that period than at the end. I went to Blondes three times, at the insistence of others, and there was a dancefloor-clearing brawl each time. I suppose that period also covers the point when bouncers had to be accredited, and security firms moved towards turning potential trouble away at the door, rather than letting them in in the hopes of having a ruck later.

Anyway, the film sounds interesting, and I'll probably give it a watch. Detroit is also very good indeed. I've not got to the pictures much, so I've been watching things on Netflix. Monsters is great - a low budget sci-fi/horror flick - as is the Green Room, with Patrick Stewart as a Neo-Nazi leader who sets dogs on people. I also watched Network for the first time, and loved it!

Think I must have moved away completely before JFK's had its day. The Warehouse was the only half-decent night in Plymouth when Cultural Vibes was there in the early 90's, if you were into that sort of thing. It always amazed me that Jesters had punchbag machines and played re-runs of boxing on the TVs in there, as if they were encouraging people to kick off. Hated it in there.

Liked Green Room - managed to balance gruesome with genuine suspense. Been on a Netflix binge lately - Mindhunter and Ozark stand out. Currently on The Sinner.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ATD Film Club   ATD Film Club - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 25, 2018 7:55 pm

I came across an American TV film from 1983 earlier called " THE DAY AFTER ", Its all about the after effects of a nuclear war .
Found it to be quite good, surprisingly.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: ATD Film Club   ATD Film Club - Page 2 EmptyThu Jan 25, 2018 8:44 pm

Spring Breakers.

(Spoilers likely to follow because I haven't really thought this through.)

This film was on C4 the other night (it is also on Netflix should you feel the urge to watch it after reading this) and kept me up well late. It's not often that a film stays with me but this one did.

The plot, such as it is, is wafer thin: some girls rob a diner to get money so they can go to Florida and party like crazy for the Spring Break alluded to in the title. Obviously it all goes wrong and spirals away into... well you can probably guess.

So what was remarkable about the film? Well a couple of things the most obvious of which was the weather in Florida and the clothing it encouraged everybody to nearly wear. The Bikini Quotient in this film was astonishing as was the number of times bits of bikini seemed to be misplaced.

Basically it was all violence and sex and drugs and rock n roll (well hip hop actually but that spoils the word play).

That was it really. All very shallow, very voyeuristic, very exploitative. Character development almost non-existant. It was as dumb as it gets. Very much brain out stuff.

And yet... The film was very stylish and in parts very raw and real and in others almost phosphorescent and dreamy in appearance and through it all a sense of doom developed. There was also liberal usage of recurring dialogue in the manner a musical composer might use a motif throughout a piece of music. It was clear that it was all building towards a crescendo (to use another musical term) - and it did. It was a ll a bit ludicrous but it was definitely a crescendo.

So anyway there you have it. If you want to see a film with hot chicks in bikinis (some of the time) this is definitely the film for you. If you want to see something totally amoral such as something Tarantino might concoct then this is the film for you. If you want an unsympathetic account of descent into all sorts of horror, kind of like Trainspotting, this is the film for you. If you want something deep and meaningful with beautifully drawn (as opposed to just beautiful) characters this is not the film for you.

It has made me wonder if there was rather more to it than I give it credit for but I don't think there is. It's basically a blaxpoitation film with the blacks recast as hot white chicks in bikinis.

Was it rubbish? That's the big question. I'm going to cop out here because it was undeniably rubbish but it was very well done rubbish.

Do not watch this movie with your Mum.

8/10.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

Location : Wormwood Scrubs awaiting the imminent arrival of Johnson..

PostSubject: Re: ATD Film Club   ATD Film Club - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 28, 2018 7:22 am

If you are not subscribed to amazon prime and want the 2nd series of The Grand Tour (top gear) its on here now
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Peggy

Peggy

PostSubject: Re: ATD Film Club   ATD Film Club - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 05, 2018 10:58 pm

Just finished a Brendan Gleeson trilogy: The Guard on Saturday, Calvary last night and (for at least the third time) In Bruges tonight. All brilliant, and all probably read differently depending on whether the viewer was brought up Catholic or not.
Back to top Go down
Greenlander

Greenlander

PostSubject: Re: ATD Film Club   ATD Film Club - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 05, 2018 11:17 pm

If you like In Bruges try Three Billboards outside Ebbing Missouri.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: ATD Film Club   ATD Film Club - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 06, 2018 10:13 am

Can do one better than Granny as Was in the Antelope although only my feet make it into remembrance twas the Antelope on the Octagon. Me and a crowd of biker mates were in there shooting pool before going over to the ace of clubs. Guy comes in and offers us free beers and twenty quid each as extras. The guy you're on about was probably Si Trevan lived on the estate below the Golden Hind. Great artist who had a cartoon strip called the tot heads and played a mean boogie woogie piano. Great bunch of guys most of whom I've not seen in donkey years.
Back to top Go down
green_genie

green_genie

PostSubject: Re: ATD Film Club   ATD Film Club - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 06, 2018 1:29 pm

SFD, Spring breakers was notorious as two of the main characters were played by child stars from Disney stable.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: ATD Film Club   ATD Film Club - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 06, 2018 2:03 pm

It probably would have been notorious anyway but a film further away from the Disney Channel's output it is very hard to imagine.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ATD Film Club   ATD Film Club - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 06, 2018 2:38 pm

sounds like a top quality crap film to watch. I shall give it a go tonight.
Back to top Go down
vincent_vega

vincent_vega

PostSubject: Re: ATD Film Club   ATD Film Club - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 07, 2018 12:55 pm

La Haine is worth a watch - was released in 1995 but over 20 years on still feels very current
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: ATD Film Club   ATD Film Club - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 07, 2018 5:13 pm

Here's one coming up soon for the panel: Sorceror.

It's on Film 4 next Tuesday at 11.20 pm.

I've never seen it but it looks like it might be a good un.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: ATD Film Club   ATD Film Club - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 08, 2018 11:22 am

I've got a good one at about 6.20pm called sunset over the sea. I'll be watching it sipping a mojito.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: ATD Film Club   ATD Film Club - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 8:59 am

Urgent!!

Freeview Ch 81 Talking Pictures TV

Sunday 9:20 The Music Box

Laurel and Hardy deliver a piano.

It gets no better than this!
Back to top Go down
RegGreen

PostSubject: Re: ATD Film Club   ATD Film Club - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 2:47 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
Urgent!!

indeed simply brilliant franny Thumbs
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: ATD Film Club   ATD Film Club - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 11, 2018 5:07 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
Urgent!!

Too close to slapstick for my liking. The only thing missing is the squirty button hole, and rather large feet. Cinema isn't the place for comedy. Hardy, Lloyd, Lewis ? meh. Mel Brooks got a few chuckles out of me, but not many. The Marx thing raised a titter, but I've had better in the Dolphin on a Friday night.
If you like this sort of clown mirth, check out the 1970s revisit of the same old joke of logistics and mayhem, oops, I've stepped on an open manhole.
It's called The Plank. For my sins, I actually pootled along to the Drake to watch it in the 70s or whenever it was. All to do with the same logistics of physical moving of objects from A to B. Eric Sykes, Tommy Cooper, Stratford Johns, Jimmy Tarbuck etc., a sort of who's who of household faces not tythed to the Carry On estate at the time, although I do remember Jim Dale was a swinger for both camps.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: ATD Film Club   ATD Film Club - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 12, 2018 11:48 am

More Stan & Ollie on Ch 81 tonight.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: ATD Film Club   ATD Film Club - Page 2 EmptyFri Feb 23, 2018 4:32 pm

Ch 81. Saturday 12 noon.

I saw this film years and years ago and it really freaked me out.

I've not seen it since; I wonder how it has aged?
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: ATD Film Club   ATD Film Club - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 04, 2018 3:00 pm

I laughed at Stan and Ollie when I was a kid not now I find it a bit painful. The plank is the same though hilarious at the time. As for unfunny cinema ill give you Airplane blazing saddles (Mel a brooks obvs) and some of the early Steve Martin stuff but it's a bit like pop music and non of it ages well.
The genre of comedy films esp. Will Smith needs incinerating then blowing up then flushing down the toilet.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: ATD Film Club   ATD Film Club - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 04, 2018 3:11 pm

Peggy wrote:
The Antelope became the Hackney Carriage and Maxine's. Don't remember it (we used to drink op the Minerva and the Breton Arms) but that's what google said.

Haven't watched Remembrance yet, but I'll throw in hearty recommendations for Baby Driver and Captain Underpants. And Loving Vincent, but only on a proper cinema size screen.

Watched most of Baby Driver yesterday and enjoyed it from the off.

Sadly we got just past the Hocus Pocus by Focus bullet ballet and the DVD conked out. Something wrong with the disc, I think.

Anyways what i saw I enjoyed. Some fab driving and a cracking soundtrack.

One day I'll find out how it finished.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: ATD Film Club   ATD Film Club - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 06, 2018 12:36 pm

Also on Talking Pictures TV (Ch 81 on Freeview) tonight: Jon Finch *is* Jerry Cornelius in The Final Programme, 1.55am.

Proper psychedelic nonsense. Loosely based on the Micheal Moorcock novel.

This is the film that Austin Powers took his lead from.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: ATD Film Club   ATD Film Club - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 09, 2018 10:55 pm

Awesome cult movie double-bill on Talking Pictures (Ch 81 on Freeview) tomorrow night - The Shout (Alan Bates, John Hurt, Tim Curry, Sussanah York and filmed on location in North Devon) at 10pm, then The Final Programme at 11.45pm.

You'll be hard pressed to find a crazier double bill but both are well worth watching.

The Shout is a sort of post-Hammer psychological horror movie and it is very, very strange indeed.

And then there's a full on psychedelic classic which pretty much defies further description.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: ATD Film Club   ATD Film Club - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 10, 2018 5:11 am

The Pub that remembrance was filmed in was opposite KFC in the Octagon Mains was opposite the Poly used to spend loads of time there with loads of Stoke based people. Did you know bald Julian Peggy?
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: ATD Film Club   ATD Film Club - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 10, 2018 8:40 am

Watched Remembrance the other night, some youngsters in it. Watched Timothy Spall in Finding Your Feet yesterday.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ATD Film Club   ATD Film Club - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

ATD Film Club
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next