RegGreen
MikeWN
Earwegoagain
Tgwu
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Tgwu

Search is on for a Drake's Island hotel operator Empty
PostSubject: Search is on for a Drake's Island hotel operator   Search is on for a Drake's Island hotel operator EmptyThu Nov 23, 2017 11:07 am

Search is on for a Drake's Island hotel operator to run the Hotel

Details of how Drake’s Island will be transformed with the creation of a multi-million pound hotel and spa resort are due to be revealed today.

With planning consent secured in April 2017, engineering firm Rotolok, which owns the island, is now divulging an “overview and outline of works” for this year and 2018.

The planning consent only lasts until 2020 so it is expected that work will start soon on the Grade II-listed Island House, Barracks Block and Ablutions building.

The main hotel accommodation will be formed by linking these buildings together to forge a block containing 25 double- and twin-bedrooms.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Search is on for a Drake's Island hotel operator   Search is on for a Drake's Island hotel operator EmptyThu Nov 23, 2017 11:10 am

But where's everybody going to park?
Back to top Go down
MikeWN

PostSubject: Re: Search is on for a Drake's Island hotel operator   Search is on for a Drake's Island hotel operator EmptyThu Nov 23, 2017 11:37 am

I imagine they'll moor their yachts on a new pontoon. Although a Crab Key-style underground complex would lend Plymouth the supervillain lair it's been missing since they pulled down the old grain silo.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Search is on for a Drake's Island hotel operator   Search is on for a Drake's Island hotel operator EmptyThu Nov 23, 2017 11:43 am

what about the office spaces cause that really important for any development.
Back to top Go down
RegGreen

PostSubject: Re: Search is on for a Drake's Island hotel operator   Search is on for a Drake's Island hotel operator EmptyThu Nov 23, 2017 2:04 pm

Wheres the dentist gunna go
Back to top Go down
Peggy

Peggy

PostSubject: Re: Search is on for a Drake's Island hotel operator   Search is on for a Drake's Island hotel operator EmptyThu Nov 23, 2017 5:47 pm

At least a lighthouse wouldn't be out of place
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Search is on for a Drake's Island hotel operator   Search is on for a Drake's Island hotel operator EmptyThu Nov 23, 2017 7:56 pm

About time something was done to restore all these buildings to human use. Far, far too long since McCauley moved in under such a strange exit from the club. Weird, and a perfect example of rich people squatting on resources doing next to nothing.
An hotel and spa ? don't make me laugh. Even residential wouldn't appeal without government funded transport links over that treacherous water. Obviously the EU won't be interested in that bit now LOL. Can't imagine a health spa being much of a runner given the Navy passing by belching the newly evil diesel every day, and  with the tritium settling all the way down the river. If there were a market for some such thing, there are hundreds of such islands in far better positions, Looe island being just one.
Maybe I'm being mean and missing something..... maybe a full board dystopian break for those of us about to die.
I'm sure something could be done out there, but it would have to be groundbreaking. Fort Bovisand never made a go of their fortress and barracks. I'm guessing this is all window dressing and PR.
Back to top Go down
PatDunne

PostSubject: Re: Search is on for a Drake's Island hotel operator   Search is on for a Drake's Island hotel operator EmptyThu Nov 23, 2017 8:15 pm

when it gets too rough to get off will board and accommodation be free?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Search is on for a Drake's Island hotel operator   Search is on for a Drake's Island hotel operator EmptyThu Nov 23, 2017 8:20 pm

Maybe a Marine winch and wire to safety, or a Chinook on standby.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Search is on for a Drake's Island hotel operator   Search is on for a Drake's Island hotel operator EmptyFri Nov 24, 2017 9:50 am

Looe Island in Cornwall Wildlife Trust hands, fortunately.
Back to top Go down
MikeWN

PostSubject: Re: Search is on for a Drake's Island hotel operator   Search is on for a Drake's Island hotel operator EmptyFri Nov 24, 2017 12:30 pm

Too rough to get off? I'm not exactly an experienced sailor, but I've been out to Eddystone in horrible weather, but when you get under the breakwater it's fine. A bit choppy, maybe.

There was talk of re-opening the tunnels, which could be interesting. I can almost smell the piss now...
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Search is on for a Drake's Island hotel operator   Search is on for a Drake's Island hotel operator EmptyFri Nov 24, 2017 12:48 pm

Quite right Mike, I've been a boat owner for many years, only a toddler but I'd do the crossing from Millbay to the jetty probably 350 days of the year, main problem is wind over tide, lots of water going through there and any NW or E gale will make it quite lumpy but put a thirty foot tender on the job and no probs, or call Seadog.
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Search is on for a Drake's Island hotel operator   Search is on for a Drake's Island hotel operator EmptyFri Nov 24, 2017 7:46 pm

Too rough? FFS! A decent tender and nothing to worry about.
Back to top Go down
Punchdrunk

Punchdrunk

PostSubject: Re: Search is on for a Drake's Island hotel operator   Search is on for a Drake's Island hotel operator EmptyFri Nov 24, 2017 8:07 pm

beesrus wrote:
About time something was done to restore all these buildings to human use. Far, far too long since McCauley moved in under such a strange exit from the club. Weird, and a perfect example of rich people squatting on resources doing next to nothing.
An hotel and spa ? don't make me laugh. Even residential wouldn't appeal without government funded transport links over that treacherous water. Obviously the EU won't be interested in that bit now LOL. Can't imagine a health spa being much of a runner given the Navy passing by belching the newly evil diesel every day, and  with the tritium settling all the way down the river. If there were a market for some such thing, there are hundreds of such islands in far better positions, Looe island being just one.
Maybe I'm being mean and missing something..... maybe a full board dystopian break for those of us about to die.
I'm sure something could be done out there, but it would have to be groundbreaking. Fort Bovisand never made a go of their fortress and barracks. I'm guessing this is all window dressing and PR.

When I worked at South Yard for PY a mate of mine did Kayak Fishing not far off the shore and he said he has caught some weird looking rays from there on and down.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Search is on for a Drake's Island hotel operator   Search is on for a Drake's Island hotel operator EmptyFri Nov 24, 2017 9:59 pm

Punchdrunk wrote:
beesrus wrote:

When I worked at South Yard for PY a mate of mine did Kayak Fishing not far off the shore and he said he has caught some weird looking rays from there on and down.

That'll be the radioactive shite spewing out from dem der submeeeerineees, init mheeeeet.
Back to top Go down
Kenny G

PostSubject: Re: Search is on for a Drake's Island hotel operator   Search is on for a Drake's Island hotel operator EmptySat Nov 25, 2017 11:45 am

Surely Plymouth City Council in their wisdom would be able to find an owner of a successful chain of hotels who could develop Drake’s Island to include an Ice Rink, an Office Block or two, 4 fast food outlets, a Gym, and a pitch and putt course to replace the crumbling mud encrusted embarrassing existing pitch and putt course at Milehouse. This would give ample scope to improve the old pitch and putt into an essential housing development adjacent to the under-utilised A386 in the vicinity of Home Park. Part of the housing development around the 9th hole could be used to extend the empty and under-utilised Park-and Ride facility adjacent to Home Park. The objectors to the existing planning application would be well and truly silenced. Many national chains such as John Lewis, Saltrock and Wetherspoons would immediately open a new outlet on Drake’s Island and be clamouring to be part of such a prestigious development which would surely promote England to become the hosts of the 2030 World Cup bid where 96 national teams could compete. Drake’s Island could easily host the national teams from North Korea, Greenland and San Marino. The developer could even promise the council that he would build a training pitch on the breakwater.
Planning to improve and extend the existing grandstand at fortress Home Park would therefore be a mere formality. For the 2020 celebrations we would see the Devonport End and Lyndhurst Stands gain another tier. World Cup ground sorted. No problems with parking your car my lover, as we can concrete over as much of Central Park necessary to bring about the facilitation of 3 games of football in 2030 where 48,000 fans will want to pay £200 or above to see Derek Adams’ Scotland take on the mighty Albania in the 1 – 0 park the bus, (Sponsored by Citybus) game to beat all games we have ever seen at the ‘Theatre of Greens’. First Prize in the half-time 50/50 draw will be a much sought after antique. Yes, you guessed it, a PASOTI umbrella. Second prize, two PASOTI umbrellas.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Search is on for a Drake's Island hotel operator   Search is on for a Drake's Island hotel operator EmptySat Nov 25, 2017 11:59 am

Kenny G wrote:
Surely Plymouth City Council in their wisdom would be able to find an owner of a successful chain of hotels who could develop Drake’s Island to include an Ice Rink, an Office Block or two, 4 fast food outlets, a Gym, and a pitch and putt course to replace the crumbling mud encrusted embarrassing existing pitch and putt course at Milehouse. This would give ample scope to improve the old pitch and putt into an essential housing development adjacent to the under-utilised A386 in the vicinity of Home Park. Part of the housing development around the 9th hole could be used to extend the empty and under-utilised Park-and Ride facility adjacent to Home Park. The objectors to the existing planning application would be well and truly silenced.  Many national chains such as John Lewis, Saltrock and Wetherspoons would immediately open a new outlet on Drake’s Island and be clamouring to be part of such a prestigious development which would surely promote England to become the hosts of the 2030 World Cup bid where 96 national teams could compete. Drake’s Island could easily host the national teams from North Korea, Greenland and San Marino. The developer could even promise the council that he would build a training pitch on the breakwater.
Planning to improve and extend the existing grandstand at fortress Home Park would therefore be a mere formality. For the 2020 celebrations we would see the Devonport End and Lyndhurst Stands gain another tier. World Cup ground sorted.  No problems with parking your car my lover, as we can concrete over as much of Central Park necessary to bring about the facilitation of 3 games of football in 2030 where 48,000 fans will want to pay £200 or above to see Derek Adams’ Scotland take on the mighty Albania in the 1 – 0 park the bus, (Sponsored by Citybus) game to beat all games we have ever seen at the ‘Theatre of Greens’. First Prize in the half-time 50/50 draw will be a much sought after antique. Yes, you guessed it, a PASOTI umbrella. Second prize, two PASOTI umbrellas.

lol! And this scheme like Brent's scheme will easily be ready for the Mayflower 2120 celebrations, and if we miss that deffo for the 2196 world cup.
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

PostSubject: Re: Search is on for a Drake's Island hotel operator   Search is on for a Drake's Island hotel operator EmptySat Nov 25, 2017 12:21 pm

Kenny G wrote:
Surely Plymouth City Council in their wisdom would be able to find an owner of a successful chain of hotels who could develop Drake’s Island to include an Ice Rink, an Office Block or two, 4 fast food outlets, a Gym, and a pitch and putt course to replace the crumbling mud encrusted embarrassing existing pitch and putt course at Milehouse. This would give ample scope to improve the old pitch and putt into an essential housing development adjacent to the under-utilised A386 in the vicinity of Home Park. Part of the housing development around the 9th hole could be used to extend the empty and under-utilised Park-and Ride facility adjacent to Home Park. The objectors to the existing planning application would be well and truly silenced.  Many national chains such as John Lewis, Saltrock and Wetherspoons would immediately open a new outlet on Drake’s Island and be clamouring to be part of such a prestigious development which would surely promote England to become the hosts of the 2030 World Cup bid where 96 national teams could compete. Drake’s Island could easily host the national teams from North Korea, Greenland and San Marino. The developer could even promise the council that he would build a training pitch on the breakwater.
Planning to improve and extend the existing grandstand at fortress Home Park would therefore be a mere formality. For the 2020 celebrations we would see the Devonport End and Lyndhurst Stands gain another tier. World Cup ground sorted.  No problems with parking your car my lover, as we can concrete over as much of Central Park necessary to bring about the facilitation of 3 games of football in 2030 where 48,000 fans will want to pay £200 or above to see Derek Adams’ Scotland take on the mighty Albania in the 1 – 0 park the bus, (Sponsored by Citybus) game to beat all games we have ever seen at the ‘Theatre of Greens’. First Prize in the half-time 50/50 draw will be a much sought after antique. Yes, you guessed it, a PASOTI umbrella. Second prize, two PASOTI umbrellas.
Sound like a winner Bhey, geddon jimmy, get the plans in! cheers cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
tigertony

tigertony

PostSubject: Re: Search is on for a Drake's Island hotel operator   Search is on for a Drake's Island hotel operator EmptySat Nov 25, 2017 11:43 pm

beesrus wrote:
Maybe a Marine winch and wire to safety, or a Chinook on standby.
Chinook on standby would only be Wednesday afternoon and then only if wind speed was below about 5mph. Them crabs need sleep and recreation.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Search is on for a Drake's Island hotel operator   Search is on for a Drake's Island hotel operator Empty

Back to top Go down

Search is on for a Drake's Island hotel operator
Page 1 of 1