VillageGreen
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

The Final Six Games For The Other Top Four Sides - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Final Six Games For The Other Top Four Sides   The Final Six Games For The Other Top Four Sides - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 03, 2017 8:46 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
Dick Trickle wrote:
feck me, you lot need to grow a pair.

I reckon 3rd place will go up on 76 or 77 points. There's half a chance the players could feck off on holiday now and still go up.

This is the worst Argyle team to get promoted in the worst division we've ever had the shitness to participate in.

I see North Korea are rejoicing however some facts about league two.

24 teams
3 promoted and 4 in the play offs.
A third of the teams not relegated are either promoted or in the play offs.
We have had average attendances in the past 6 years in the top three every season

To be promoted after 3-4 years should have been a minimum, let alone 6.

The question should be why we haven't been promoted before?

I don't disagree with you (far from it) but I'll try to make a case for the defence...

1. Admin left us with next to nothing. No coaches. No contracted players. No proper manager. No scouts. Nothing. Pretty much. We had to rebuild again more or less from scratch.

2. Nobody wanted to come and play for us. Nobody any good anyway. Word went around that we were royally shafted and just awaiting the moment of truth before we folded. All we could sign was unwanted kids, assorted cast-offs, ne'er-do-wells, desperadoes and old sweats trying to eke out another year because nobody else would even talk to us.

3. We did not emerge from admin debt-free. We knew we were obliged to cough up £4m or so over the next 5 years out of income and income was down to less than £3m per annum. A whopping third of our money was gone before we even started and our credit lines were totally shot so we had to pay up-front in cash for everything out of what remained.

4. Due to the magnificent foresight and benevolence of our beloved owner, his astute - nay faultless and unrivalled - business acumen, various extra-curricular fund-raising activities by indiviuals both too numerous and too modest to name, the GTs and the continuing sacrifices made by the long-suffering staff the situation began to improve and as word got around we were eventually able to recruit a proper manager.

5. From there Sheridan gradually hauled us back from the brink and made us a more attractive proposition to others in the game.

6. We couldn't believe our luck when Adams applied for the job. Once interviewed his name was the only one in the frame. We're lucky to have such an inspiring, dedicated and wonderful individual managing our side and he has made the difficult decisions needed to yet again re-build the squad and to get us where we now are - which'll be our first promotion since 2004 let's not forget.

7. None of this would have been possible without James Brent and his masterful application of a serious and properly budgeted long-term economic plan. He saved our club and we should be eternally grateful for that. From teetering on the very brink of total oblivion to being a thriving club with a team all but nailed on for promotion, despite the numerous handicaps present from the mess the previous directors left behind, is little short of a miracle.

8. And we'd have been here sooner if the HHP plan had gone through and PCC had backed Mr Brent instead of those shysters who only want to build a cinema in the city centre and block out the sea view. It's not our fault it has taken so many years but, in the circumstances, who could have done any better? I don't remember a long queue of potential messiahs forming in our darkest hour when we stood alone and fought them on the beaches. Never has so much been owed by so many to so few.

9. Just you wait until you see the magnificent two-tiered lighthouse in the corners when the refurb goes through. It'll be unique, echo the city's maritime heritage and they'll double as floodlight pylons.

10. Forces of darkness! Your boys have taken one helluva beating!

Oh FFS!!!!!!!!

Either SFD has gone all Aviva or he's sharing his account with one! Shocked

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

PostSubject: Re: The Final Six Games For The Other Top Four Sides   The Final Six Games For The Other Top Four Sides - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 03, 2017 8:52 pm

Get yerself's in the Crawley trenches with Knobber, Throbber and wee green Jimmy, ya surrender Monkeys !! pig geek geek cheers
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: The Final Six Games For The Other Top Four Sides   The Final Six Games For The Other Top Four Sides - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 03, 2017 9:47 pm

mouldyoldgoat wrote:
Sir Francis Drake wrote:
Dick Trickle wrote:

I reckon 3rd place will go up on 76 or 77 points. There's half a chance the players could feck off on holiday now and still go up.

This is the worst Argyle team to get promoted in the worst division we've ever had the shitness to participate in.

24 teams
We have had average attendances in the past 6 years in the top three every season

I don't disagree with you (far from it) but I'll try to make a case for the defence...

1. Admin left us with next to nothing. No coaches. No contracted players. No proper manager. No scouts. Nothing. Pretty much. We had to rebuild again more or less from scratch.

2. Nobody wanted to come and play for us. Nobody any good anyway. Word went around that we were royally shafted and just awaiting the moment of truth before we folded. All we could sign was unwanted kids, assorted cast-offs, ne'er-do-wells, desperadoes and old sweats trying to eke out another year because nobody else would even talk to us.

3. We did not emerge from admin debt-free. We knew we were obliged to cough up £4m or so over the next 5 years out of income and income was down to less than £3m per annum. A whopping third of our money was gone before we even started and our credit lines were totally shot so we had to pay up-front in cash for everything out of what remained.

4. Due to the magnificent foresight and benevolence of our beloved owner, his astute - nay faultless and unrivalled - business acumen, various extra-curricular fund-raising activities by indiviuals both too numerous and too modest to name, the GTs and the continuing sacrifices made by the long-suffering staff the situation began to improve and as word got around we were eventually able to recruit a proper manager.

5. From there Sheridan gradually hauled us back from the brink and made us a more attractive proposition to others in the game.

6. We couldn't believe our luck when Adams applied for the job. Once interviewed his name was the only one in the frame. We're lucky to have such an inspiring, dedicated and wonderful individual managing our side and he has made the difficult decisions needed to yet again re-build the squad and to get us where we now are - which'll be our first promotion since 2004 let's not forget.

7. None of this would have been possible without James Brent and his masterful application of a serious and properly budgeted long-term economic plan. He saved our club and we should be eternally grateful for that. From teetering on the very brink of total oblivion to being a thriving club with a team all but nailed on for promotion, despite the numerous handicaps present from the mess the previous directors left behind, is little short of a miracle.

8. And we'd have been here sooner if the HHP plan had gone through and PCC had backed Mr Brent instead of those shysters who only want to build a cinema in the city centre and block out the sea view. It's not our fault it has taken so many years but, in the circumstances, who could have done any better? I don't remember a long queue of potential messiahs forming in our darkest hour when we stood alone and fought them on the beaches. Never has so much been owed by so many to so few.

9. Just you wait until you see the magnificent two-tiered lighthouse in the corners when the refurb goes through. It'll be unique, echo the city's maritime heritage and they'll double as floodlight pylons.

Oh FFS!!!!!!!!

No no no. It was all me. I take cyber security very seriously and wouldn't ever share my user details with anybody... That would be entirely unethical. One has standards doncha know.

Those are the likeliest arguments, I'd wager, to excuse the 6 years we have languished in this division which was the question posed.

They aren't my arguments and I don't agree with all of them but I'm happy to play devil's advocate (in fact I have already started when it comes down to it) on this one just for fun.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com

PostSubject: Re: The Final Six Games For The Other Top Four Sides   The Final Six Games For The Other Top Four Sides - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 03, 2017 10:01 pm

sufferedsince 68 wrote:
Get yerself's in the Crawley trenches with Knobber, Throbber and wee green Jimmy, ya surrender Monkeys !! pig geek geek cheers
The DRF are on the Bananabus bright and early, heading for the Redz bar. Going to drink all their Lime and Soda! lol!
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: The Final Six Games For The Other Top Four Sides   The Final Six Games For The Other Top Four Sides - Page 2 EmptyMon Apr 03, 2017 11:34 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
mouldyoldgoat wrote:
Sir Francis Drake wrote:
Dick Trickle wrote:

24 teams

Oh FFS!!!!!!!!

No no no. It was all me. I take cyber security very seriously and wouldn't ever share my user details with anybody... That would be entirely unethical. One has standards doncha know.

Those are the likeliest arguments, I'd wager, to excuse the 6 years we have languished in this division which was the question posed.

They aren't my arguments and I don't agree with all of them but I'm happy to play devil's advocate (in fact I have already started when it comes down to it) on this one just for fun.

That's all right then. Very Happy

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: The Final Six Games For The Other Top Four Sides   The Final Six Games For The Other Top Four Sides - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 04, 2017 4:25 am

Elias wrote:
Some of that sfd is garbage im afraid. Some of it is correct

Apparently...  His post is a quasi factual humour kind of thing?
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: The Final Six Games For The Other Top Four Sides   The Final Six Games For The Other Top Four Sides - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 04, 2017 8:25 am

Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: The Final Six Games For The Other Top Four Sides   The Final Six Games For The Other Top Four Sides - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 04, 2017 4:12 pm

I forgot to say in the earlier post, there are actually three possible promotion games that the side can do themselves without relying on other teams faffing up..

It should have read as follows :-

''There are three possibles for promotion be secured, at home to Newport, away at Colchester or at home to Crewe.

I can't see Argyle winning the next three games and gaining promotion at home to Newport, it would be nice, but I just can't see it happening.

I am going for Argyle to beat Crawley, draw at Pompey, beat Newport, draw or lose at Colchester 83 (p)/82 and then beat crewe 86/85 (p) in the final home game.
Back to top Go down
RegGreen

PostSubject: Re: The Final Six Games For The Other Top Four Sides   The Final Six Games For The Other Top Four Sides - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 04, 2017 4:42 pm

VillageGreen wrote:
I forgot to say in the earlier post, there are actually three possible promotion games that the side can do themselves without relying on other teams faffing up..

It should have read as follows :-

''There are three possibles for promotion be secured, at home to Newport, away at Colchester or at home to Crewe.

I can't see Argyle winning the next three games and gaining promotion at home to Newport, it would be nice, but I just can't see it happening.

I am going for Argyle to beat Crawley, draw at Pompey, beat Newport, draw or lose at Colchester 83 (p)/82 and then beat crewe 86/85 (p) in the final home game.
The quicker they wrap it up the better but wouldnt rely on the newport & crewe as nailed on just yet with our home form by no means there for gone conclusions
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Final Six Games For The Other Top Four Sides   The Final Six Games For The Other Top Four Sides - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 05, 2017 9:09 pm

The eventual foray into League 1 will be tentative. Be great to mix it with some of the big boys for a few seasons. The Green Army are in for a real treat... mouthwatering visits to Spotland, Sixfields, Priestfield Stadium await
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: The Final Six Games For The Other Top Four Sides   The Final Six Games For The Other Top Four Sides - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 06, 2017 7:55 pm

Pafcintheplace wrote:
The eventual foray into League 1 will be tentative. Be great to mix it with some of the big boys for a few seasons. The Green Army are in for a real treat... mouthwatering visits to Spotland, Sixfields, Priestfield Stadium await

And a visit to Bristol Rovers, might do a weekender in Bristol for that one.

Bristol City going down would be good too, we have not played them for some time. They seem to be on a downer at the moment, just pondering if they spent all the cash on the Ashton Gate refurb, rather than the team.

It would make a change to lock horns with the Robins next season.

Forest and Blackburn look in dire straights, along with Wigan. As for Rotherham, well they are doomed.
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: The Final Six Games For The Other Top Four Sides   The Final Six Games For The Other Top Four Sides - Page 2 EmptyThu Apr 06, 2017 8:38 pm

Pafcintheplace wrote:

Summer autumn winter spring
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: The Final Six Games For The Other Top Four Sides   The Final Six Games For The Other Top Four Sides - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 08, 2017 8:38 pm

What a difference a day of football can make.

Yesterday (Fri 07/04/17), Argyle needed nine points to confirm promotion, now it is down to four.

Stevenage losing heavily at Colchester has really sealed it for Argyle I feel. A very bad day for Stevenage indeed and it probably confirms them as Play-Off hopefuls now, rather than automatic contenders.

Luton can only reach 81 points and though they have an easy run-in, it looks a daunting task for them to go up in an automatic position.

I think Argyle and Portsmouth can now relax just a little.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Final Six Games For The Other Top Four Sides   The Final Six Games For The Other Top Four Sides - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Final Six Games For The Other Top Four Sides
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2