Tgwu
26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage

Blackpool - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blackpool   Blackpool - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 08, 2017 2:59 pm

tigertony wrote:
Les Miserable wrote:
Just had our first shot on target in the 89th minute.
We all know that scoring late on is the best time to score to win a game. Other team can't get back at you ..... snag is though ... laugh

Rant

Hilarious as ever. Why do you even bother? What is the actual point of posting that? Not funny, not original, not clever.
Back to top Go down

Blackpool - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blackpool   Blackpool - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 08, 2017 3:16 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:

We're talking about professional footballers here. Even the worst of them is miles better than any of us, with perhaps very rare exceptions, could ever have dreamed of being. Since childhood football has been everything for them and they have dedicated their lives, some more assiduously than others, to developing their fitness and skill levels so that they are where they are today. So all of them are capable of blockbustering one in from 30 yards or making that amazing tackle or being in the right place to send a defensive header to safety or pulling off that miraculous save. The only difference between our players and the very best is that the very best do those things routinely whereas ours do them very occasionally - after all if they could do them all the time they wouldn't be playing for us but Barcelona or whoever.

Well just as we have the occasional very good performance then so we have the occasional shocker because each goes hand-in-hand with being a 4th division team filled with 4th division players and that very fact defines as being "not very good" our average level and with every average there's some contributions much higher and some much lower.

And last night's was definitely a low.

I often like your thoughts, but I disagree with nearly every single word of the above. It's just so wide of the mark in so many ways. and imbues professionals with rare talents that just aren't there in the huge majority of cases. Professional footballers are no different from professional carpenters or GPs, and are no more vocational. They're trained full time to do a specific job, no more no less, and most are viewed as journeymen for a reason. Let's not make it out to be something separate from the rest of us mortals.
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

Blackpool - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blackpool   Blackpool - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 08, 2017 3:44 pm

The result from last night was a terrible set back and frankly, unacceptable.

Pompey have closed the gap to six and Luton still have a game in hand (V Newport County). These two sides are the major danger and could simply hijack Argyle for 2nd and 3rd.

The top of the table does not look good today and only Argyle have themselves to blame !!.

DA sort this inconsistency out please or is it a case of NOT wanting promotion ?.

The next four games are daunting to say the least.

Mansfield [a]
Wycombe [a]
Morecambe [h]
Doncaster [a]

Last edited by VillageGreen on Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:31 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down

Blackpool - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blackpool   Blackpool - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 08, 2017 3:48 pm

beesrus wrote:
Sir Francis Drake wrote:

We're talking about professional footballers here. Even the worst of them is miles better than any of us, with perhaps very rare exceptions, could ever have dreamed of being. Since childhood football has been everything for them and they have dedicated their lives, some more assiduously than others, to developing their fitness and skill levels so that they are where they are today. So all of them are capable of blockbustering one in from 30 yards or making that amazing tackle or being in the right place to send a defensive header to safety or pulling off that miraculous save. The only difference between our players and the very best is that the very best do those things routinely whereas ours do them very occasionally - after all if they could do them all the time they wouldn't be playing for us but Barcelona or whoever.

Well just as we have the occasional very good performance then so we have the occasional shocker because each goes hand-in-hand with being a 4th division team filled with 4th division players and that very fact defines as being "not very good" our average level and with every average there's some contributions much higher and some much lower.

I often like your thoughts, but I disagree with nearly every single word of the above. It's just so wide of the mark in so many ways. and imbues professionals with rare talents that just aren't there in the huge majority of cases. Professional footballers are no different from professional carpenters or GPs, and are no more vocational. They're trained full time to do a specific job, no more no less, and most are viewed as journeymen for a reason. Let's not make it out to be something separate from the rest of us mortals.

I agree with that. The idea of young boys born with a gift with the ball is just romantic nonsense I am afraid, becoming a professional footballer in most cases is a result of having the correct physique at the correct age. Quite often the difference between making it as a pro is whether your parents can afford to keep you in boots or can afford to send you off on a pre-season training camp. Then its a matter of character being extremely disciplined in terms of lifestyle and being able to cope with utter tedium and being shouted at. The vast majority don't get anywhere near it, but talent is way down the list in terms of why.
Back to top Go down

Blackpool - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blackpool   Blackpool - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 08, 2017 4:08 pm

Anyone see what Derek has supposed to have said about the wearing of the white kit last night? There's an article on the BBC website (just been sent a link from the 'Match of the Day' Facebook page).
FML we really are so village. Those in charge at the club really have no fecking clue do they. Handbags
Back to top Go down

Blackpool - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blackpool   Blackpool - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 08, 2017 4:09 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sorry I can't do link things!
Back to top Go down
Rollo Tomasi

Blackpool - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blackpool   Blackpool - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 08, 2017 4:40 pm

Hugh Watt wrote:
beesrus wrote:
Sir Francis Drake wrote:

I agree with that. The idea of young boys born with a gift with the ball is just romantic nonsense I am afraid, becoming a professional footballer in most cases is a result of having the correct physique at the correct age. Quite often the difference between making it as a pro is whether your parents can afford to keep you in boots or can afford to send you off on a pre-season training camp. Then its a matter of character being extremely disciplined in terms of lifestyle and being able to cope with utter tedium and being shouted at. The vast majority don't get anywhere near it, but talent is way down the list in terms of why.

I think that SFD has pretty much nailed it.
What Beesrus fails to mention is that pro sportsmen pit their skills against other professionals.
Other vocations do not. They(the GPs and carpenters) have to be decent to survive but that's not the same.
Being fit is a given. We can all do that. Many footballers come across as not very bright yet manage to compute a lot of information when playing. Add determination to talent and the better ones will reach the very top.  This surely is an innate ability. It looks a lot faster than any match I've seen at Tothill.
And for Hugh to suggest that talent is way down the list of requirements and that it might depend on being able to afford boots! This is nonsense.
Thank Christ Cassius Clay could afford boxing gloves, otherwise we'd have all missed out.
Back to top Go down
Dane

Dane

Blackpool - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blackpool   Blackpool - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 08, 2017 4:58 pm

Every Professional footballer is born with an ability. It then takes coaching and guidance to bring that skill out and improve it,

Its not only physical either, a large part of being a professional is mental ability too.
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

Blackpool - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blackpool   Blackpool - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 08, 2017 6:19 pm

BBC1 wrote:
Anyone see what Derek has supposed to have said about the wearing of the white kit last night? There's an article on the BBC website (just been sent a link from the 'Match of the Day' Facebook page).
FML we really are so village. Those in charge at the club really have no fecking clue do they. Handbags

Have they ever?
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

Blackpool - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blackpool   Blackpool - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 08, 2017 8:21 pm

Dane. wrote:
Every Professional footballer is born with an ability. It then takes coaching and guidance to bring that skill out and improve it,

Its not only physical either, a large part of being a professional is mental ability too.

My point was that given any skill, free kicks for instance, they could all ping one in if given enough attempts to. In my mind that isn't in question. The better players will manage it more often. So it isn't the ability to plant one in the postage stamp that matters but how often it gets planted there.

It isn't about the actual feat itself but how reliably it might be successfully performed. Inconsistent players get lucky and manage it now and then because, basically, they aren't that good; players with that extra bit of class do it more often because they are that good.

Likewise football teams. We often hear of successful teams winning ugly or grinding out results or variations thereof when not playing well. This is the same thing but at a team level. They consistently get good results because they are good and have quality that their opponents largely do not and over the course of a season this manifests itself as a promotion and/or champion team because when they are poor they are not that poor.

Regarding us our "poor" has been very bad even in comparison to teams that are well and truly in the doldrums; if we were as good as we'd like to think we are this would not happen.

If we compare back to Luggy's Pilgrims they won loads of games 1-0 despite being fairly rubbish on the day. This is to be expected when there is genuine quality in the team. What they did not do is get walloped, i.e. let in 3 goals, regularly (or indeed at all) at Home Park. Compare and contrast that to Adams's team(s).

Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
tigertony

tigertony

Blackpool - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blackpool   Blackpool - Page 5 EmptyWed Mar 08, 2017 9:23 pm

PatDunne wrote:
Tigertony self confessed 'funny man' laugh ....
Thanks. I try to avoid 'serious'. Anyway, haven't seen much of you recently? Thought you may be on your hols.
Back to top Go down

Blackpool - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blackpool   Blackpool - Page 5 EmptyThu Mar 09, 2017 1:33 am

tigertony wrote:
PatDunne wrote:
Thanks. I try to avoid 'serious'. Anyway, haven't seen much of you recently? Thought you may be on your hols.

Not only do you avoid serious, you also avoid interesting, intelligent, insightful and, most of all, funny.
Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

Location : Wormwood Scrubs awaiting the imminent arrival of Johnson..

Blackpool - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blackpool   Blackpool - Page 5 EmptyThu Mar 09, 2017 2:12 am

Dane. wrote:

Yes I'd go along with that Dane indeed...
Back to top Go down
PatDunne

Blackpool - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blackpool   Blackpool - Page 5 EmptyThu Mar 09, 2017 7:27 am

tigertony wrote:
PatDunne wrote:

You manage to avoid funny too....
Back to top Go down

Blackpool - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blackpool   Blackpool - Page 5 EmptyThu Mar 09, 2017 9:39 am

Rollo Tomasi wrote:
Hugh Watt wrote:
beesrus wrote:
Sir Francis Drake wrote:

I think that SFD has pretty much nailed it.
What Beesrus fails to mention is that pro sportsmen pit their skills against other professionals.
Other vocations do not. They(the GPs and carpenters) have to be decent to survive but that's not the same.
Being fit is a given. We can all do that. Many footballers come across as not very bright yet manage to compute a lot of information when playing. Add determination to talent and the better ones will reach the very top.  This surely is an innate ability. It looks a lot faster than any match I've seen at Tothill.
And for Hugh to suggest that talent is way down the list of requirements and that it might depend on being able to afford boots! This is nonsense.
Thank Christ Cassius Clay could afford boxing gloves, otherwise we'd have all missed out.

Cassius Clay was a boxer in the 60's not a footballer in 2017. Rolling Eyes

Its not nonsense its harsh economic fact. if parents cannot afford to pay for kit, training camps, travel etc etc the child doesn't become a pro footballer regardless of talent. End of story. The rest is strongly dependent on physical development and as Dane says having the right mental attitude with a . If talent was all it took why didn't Darren Bastow make it?
Back to top Go down
Rollo Tomasi

Blackpool - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blackpool   Blackpool - Page 5 EmptyThu Mar 09, 2017 2:27 pm

What's Darren Bastow got to do with it? Talent alone is never enough. Who said it was? But it's certainly higher up the list than you seem to think.

Clay was brought up in Louisville Kentucky, not exactly a bastion of middle class America.

I can understand you claiming a set of golf clubs might be beyond some, but a pair of boots!
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

Blackpool - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blackpool   Blackpool - Page 5 EmptyThu Mar 09, 2017 3:09 pm

Most footballers come from working class backgrounds, they are not toffs.
Back to top Go down
tigertony

tigertony

Blackpool - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blackpool   Blackpool - Page 5 EmptyFri Mar 10, 2017 1:38 am

charleymouse wrote:
tigertony wrote:
Les Miserable wrote:
We all know that scoring late on is the best time to score to win a game. Other team can't get back at you ..... snag is though ... laugh

Rant

Hilarious as ever. Why do you even bother? What is the actual point of posting that? Not funny, not original, not clever.
You really are a Sleep I actually think you and Uncle Pat are one and the same! Suspect
Back to top Go down
PatDunne

Blackpool - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blackpool   Blackpool - Page 5 EmptyFri Mar 10, 2017 7:34 am

Sleep The irony.....
Back to top Go down

Blackpool - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blackpool   Blackpool - Page 5 EmptyFri Mar 10, 2017 10:35 am

tigertony wrote:
charleymouse wrote:
tigertony wrote:
Les Miserable wrote:

Rant

You really are a  Sleep  I actually think you and Uncle Pat are one and the same! Suspect

Well seeing as you appear to find yourself amusing, your judgement is clearly flawed so I'm not that bothered about your negative opinion of me. If anything, it's quite reassuring.

Incidentally, I'd love to know why you are calling him Uncle Pat. Why are you doing that?
Back to top Go down
tigertony

tigertony

Blackpool - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blackpool   Blackpool - Page 5 EmptySat Mar 11, 2017 12:06 am

charleymouse wrote:
tigertony wrote:
charleymouse wrote:
tigertony wrote:
Les Miserable wrote:

Rant

You really are a  Sleep  I actually think you and Uncle Pat are one and the same! Suspect

Well seeing as you appear to find yourself amusing, your judgement is clearly flawed so I'm not that bothered about your negative opinion of me. If anything, it's quite reassuring.

Incidentally, I'd love to know why you are calling him Uncle Pat. Why are you doing that?
Like you I've worked out that 'he' is a male so therefore 'Uncle' is better than 'Auntie' Fairly obvious really. I'd love to know how you missed that? How did you miss that?
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

Blackpool - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blackpool   Blackpool - Page 5 EmptySat Mar 11, 2017 8:34 am

tigertony wrote:
charleymouse wrote:
tigertony wrote:
charleymouse wrote:
tigertony wrote:
Les Miserable wrote:

Rant

Like you I've worked out that 'he' is a male so therefore 'Uncle' is better than 'Auntie' Fairly obvious really. I'd love to know how you missed that? How did you miss that?

Handbags Sleep Sleep Sleep
Back to top Go down

Blackpool - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blackpool   Blackpool - Page 5 EmptySat Mar 11, 2017 11:27 am

bit late in the day to say this but never the less. shout out to thee two old gits in my block who felt the need to have a go at every fan who left early due to being embarrassed by that shite on the pitch. i hope you saw my middle finger aimed at you as the 3rd goal went in.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Blackpool - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Blackpool   Blackpool - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Blackpool
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5