HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Memorable Penalty (non) Decisions

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

Memorable Penalty (non) Decisions Empty
PostSubject: Memorable Penalty (non) Decisions   Memorable Penalty (non) Decisions EmptyMon Feb 13, 2017 6:47 pm

At the time on Saturday I didn't really know what had happened when we were given our penalty. Having since seen the incident on video it is obvious why it was given and on reflection the challenge by their goalie was probably the second worst I have ever seen with the worst being the Schumacher/Battiston incident in the '82 World Cup semi (that remains the worst refereeing decision and the best game of football ever played in my opinon).

But what of other spectacular penalty decisions - right or wrong?

Three stand out for me:

1. Gary Clayton punching one over the bar after diving in a goaliesque fashion away at Gillingham (when Pulis was i/c there) on a freezing cold Boxing Day. He was red carded and a penalty given. They scored we lost 1-0. An epic game of simmering intensity which was re-run at HP when they came down and we won 1-0 (Barlow with his van Basten effort).

2. Norwich away in the game after Bobby Williamson was sacked when Jock Somebody temporarily stood in as manager. We were attacking and Norris went up for a header. Their defender tried an overhead kick to clear the ball and kicked Chuck square in the face. Blatant as day. We were given an indirect free-kick which came to nought and we ended up losing 2-1.

3. Everton in the cup. Burrows went up for a header. Got a big shove from Graham Sharp. Kind of spun in mid-air and the ball hit his arm. 2000 Scousers in the BPE yelled "penalty" in unison and we were denied a famous victory after truly battering 'em for most of the 90 minutes.

Any others out there? Must be 100s of them.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Memorable Penalty (non) Decisions   Memorable Penalty (non) Decisions EmptyMon Feb 13, 2017 7:00 pm

Rodney Marsh taking a dive and causing a near riot Boxing day 1967

Jim Furnell saving from Terry Venables after a spectacular Whittle tumble in injury time against Palace in 1974

Micky Evans getting a penalty for reasons which remain mysterious in an evening game against Southampton in the CCC
Back to top Go down
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

PostSubject: Re: Memorable Penalty (non) Decisions   Memorable Penalty (non) Decisions EmptyMon Feb 13, 2017 9:46 pm

I can't for the life of me remember who it was against, or when it was, (it was an evening game) but Sean McCarthy was pulled back on the edge of the 6 yard box just as he was about to get on the end of a cross which would, I think, have been the equaliser, and we went on to lose the game. It was the clearest penalty I have ever seen yet it wasn't given.

Mind you pulling back McCarthy when he was in full flight was some feat in itself.
Back to top Go down
Lord Melbury

PostSubject: Re: Memorable Penalty (non) Decisions   Memorable Penalty (non) Decisions EmptyMon Feb 13, 2017 10:20 pm

Martin Barlow being taken out when steaming towards the BPE goal against Colchester in the 96 Play-offs. Could well have been outside the area but from memory the Colchester player didn't even get booked when I thought at the time he should have got a straight red.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Memorable Penalty (non) Decisions   Memorable Penalty (non) Decisions EmptyMon Feb 13, 2017 10:53 pm

PlymptonPilgrim wrote:
I can't for the life of me remember who it was against, or when it was, (it was an evening game) but Sean McCarthy was pulled back on the edge of the 6 yard box just as he was about to get on the end of a cross which would, I think, have been the equaliser, and we went on to lose the game. It was the clearest penalty I have ever seen yet it wasn't given.

Mind you pulling back McCarthy when he was in full flight was some feat in itself.

Weirdly I saw exactly the same sequence at Swansea when they played at the Vetch field. 1-0 down in injury time, a corner was flicked on and McCarthy was about to nod it into the empty net when the defender almost literally tore the shirt off his back-no penalty. Unbelievable decision,Swansea fans who were on the other side of the ground saw it clearly and were pissing themselves laughing on the walk back to the station afterwards. Think it was Darren Bastows last game for Argyle, what a waste of talent.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Memorable Penalty (non) Decisions   Memorable Penalty (non) Decisions EmptyTue Feb 14, 2017 7:52 am

Lord Melbury wrote:
Martin Barlow being taken out when steaming towards the BPE goal against Colchester in the 96 Play-offs. Could well have been outside the area but from memory the Colchester player didn't even get booked when I thought at the time he should have got a straight red.  

That was the incident that caused Colin to lose his shit completely, go off on one at the ref, linesman, in fact any official within earshot. He then got sent to the stands and rather than retire meekly to the directors box he clambered over the fencing and stood in the Mayflower terrace crowd, where he directed operations for the remainder of the game.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Memorable Penalty (non) Decisions   Memorable Penalty (non) Decisions Empty

Back to top Go down

Memorable Penalty (non) Decisions
Page 1 of 1