Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The online battle, fanzines, tribalism and Sean O'Driscoll

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

The online battle, fanzines, tribalism and Sean O'Driscoll Empty
PostSubject: The online battle, fanzines, tribalism and Sean O'Driscoll   The online battle, fanzines, tribalism and Sean O'Driscoll EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 7:13 pm

Read this if you are interested in where football is going and the local politics of it all !

The Two Unfortunates

It's good to know we're not alone on ATD standing up against the new tribalism that is trying to run riot at our club, and especially on Pasoti.

Quote :
Tribalism is cleverly channelled into the local or, as is increasingly the case, not so local XI. ‘You’ve gotta get behind the boys’ is a familiar phrase. Otherwise, you are nothing but ‘miserable, sad and pathetic’

Quote :
the pressure to conform is aggressive and ‘in yer face’.

An excellent article from an up and coming website founded by two football fanatics, one of whom is a long suffering Argyle supporting friend of mine. We're not the only ones.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The online battle, fanzines, tribalism and Sean O'Driscoll   The online battle, fanzines, tribalism and Sean O'Driscoll EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 7:23 pm

Excellent piece.

Quote :
‘You are either with us or against us’ was a refrain of a famous Texan and that’s the message now – if you don’t want to be part of all this, just shut up and keep quiet.

pig
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: The online battle, fanzines, tribalism and Sean O'Driscoll   The online battle, fanzines, tribalism and Sean O'Driscoll EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 7:29 pm

Weirdos n freaks ! Get behind yer club. Follow blindly. Donate, donate donate ! Well done. You are now an Aviva !
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: The online battle, fanzines, tribalism and Sean O'Driscoll   The online battle, fanzines, tribalism and Sean O'Driscoll EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 7:44 pm

Great piece.

Of course two tactics played to cut off any Argyle dissent a) show the owner selected transcripts of a rival non conformity non aligned website b) talk up 'real' mates and people at the expense of 'fake' 'sad and lonely' 'keyboard warriors'

If you also gently but consistently nibble at the very group that might just represents fans and publicly back appropriate 'fans' for a supervisory board you have a nightmarish conformity of opinion being pushed to an already willing and compliant fan base.
Back to top Go down
Charlie Wood

Charlie Wood

PostSubject: Re: The online battle, fanzines, tribalism and Sean O'Driscoll   The online battle, fanzines, tribalism and Sean O'Driscoll EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 7:47 pm

Dougie wrote:
willing and compliant fan base.

Power to the sheeple.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The online battle, fanzines, tribalism and Sean O'Driscoll   The online battle, fanzines, tribalism and Sean O'Driscoll EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 7:50 pm

Thats a brilliant piece of writing.
Back to top Go down
Nick

Nick

PostSubject: Re: The online battle, fanzines, tribalism and Sean O'Driscoll   The online battle, fanzines, tribalism and Sean O'Driscoll EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 7:53 pm

Great article.

There's some really good football writing on the net away from the Premiershit-obsessed newspaper sites and Sky etc. There's a link on the Two Unfortunates site to the Guardian's Top 100 Football Blogs To Follow that's well worth checking out (even if it is a year old). Link

For some rather pretentious and 'literary' writing I quite like Run Of Play. Actually I just like it because it has fab images for its articles study
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: The online battle, fanzines, tribalism and Sean O'Driscoll   The online battle, fanzines, tribalism and Sean O'Driscoll EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 8:10 pm

If you have the will have a look at The Presidents twitter as he deals with The Rev (Jim Benton?) as he calls into question the need for a Lyndhurst flag.

Classic you are for us or you are against us. All The Rev did (as did Peggy with regard to the Devonport flag) was to ask if anyone had been consulted. Say attitude as previously in The Presidents answers.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: The online battle, fanzines, tribalism and Sean O'Driscoll   The online battle, fanzines, tribalism and Sean O'Driscoll EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 8:10 pm

Dougie wrote:
Great piece.

Of course two tactics played to cut off any Argyle dissent a) show the owner selected transcripts of a rival non conformity non aligned website b) talk up 'real' mates and people at the expense of 'fake' 'sad and lonely' 'keyboard warriors'

If you also gently but consistently nibble at the very group that might just represents fans and publicly back appropriate 'fans' for a supervisory board you have a nightmarish conformity of opinion being pushed to an already willing and compliant fan base.

You have it sussed Dougie but they are relatively small in number. A few years of abject mediocrity ahead but they will be found out.

A lot of intelligent and perceptive people have/are/will turn their backs on the club.

The dynamic duo love the limelight but their level is Barnet and Forest Green.

Not for me, I'm afraid.
Back to top Go down
Nick

Nick

PostSubject: Re: The online battle, fanzines, tribalism and Sean O'Driscoll   The online battle, fanzines, tribalism and Sean O'Driscoll EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 8:12 pm

I've just been looking, Dougie. FFS. Andy Symons getting it in the neck, too.

We need a Chris Kamara smiley saying 'Unbelievable, Jeff!'
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: The online battle, fanzines, tribalism and Sean O'Driscoll   The online battle, fanzines, tribalism and Sean O'Driscoll EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 8:14 pm

Dougie wrote:
If you have the will have a look at The Presidents twitter as he deals with The Rev (Jim Benton?) as he calls into question the need for a Lyndhurst flag.

Classic you are for us or you are against us. All The Rev did (as did Peggy with regard to the Devonport flag) was to ask if anyone had been consulted. Say attitude as previously in The Presidents answers.

No class. Poor diction. Like a kid let loose in a sweet shop.What a f*ckin mess. I blame Jimmy B.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The online battle, fanzines, tribalism and Sean O'Driscoll   The online battle, fanzines, tribalism and Sean O'Driscoll EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 8:22 pm

Tringreen wrote:
Dougie wrote:

No class. Poor diction. Like a kid let loose in a sweet shop.What a f*ckin mess. I blame Jimmy B.

Did you teach English Tring ? lol!
Don't forget Brent himself is in a sweet shop. A private education and an easy 'in' to making money doesn't make you particularly immune to the smells of life anymore than anyone else.
Just maybe the confluence is three rivers, not just the two.
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: The online battle, fanzines, tribalism and Sean O'Driscoll   The online battle, fanzines, tribalism and Sean O'Driscoll EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 8:34 pm

Of course it's also easy if regard the opinions of those at the margins as sniping. Frame it in those terms and you never have to engage with or consider an alternative viewpoint.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The online battle, fanzines, tribalism and Sean O'Driscoll   The online battle, fanzines, tribalism and Sean O'Driscoll EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 8:36 pm

Spot on, great find Pirate!

The word is spreading even among the non Internet community, we must continue to raise the anti!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The online battle, fanzines, tribalism and Sean O'Driscoll   The online battle, fanzines, tribalism and Sean O'Driscoll EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 8:38 pm

Nick wrote:

Am I? What have I done now? Shocked
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The online battle, fanzines, tribalism and Sean O'Driscoll   The online battle, fanzines, tribalism and Sean O'Driscoll EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 8:40 pm

Dougie wrote:

Not just the flag, Dougie, but the whole imposition. Rarely getting within spitting distance of my seat, being endlessly jostled by kids jumping around and missing large chunks of the match because of the jumping around and waving of arms and scarves. No wonder the stewards (I went to primary school with the one getting it in the neck this week, and he's one of the nicest, gentlest, most polite people I know) are getting antsy - there's an accident waiting to happen in there.

Anyway - is there a link or something?
Back to top Go down
Nick

Nick

PostSubject: Re: The online battle, fanzines, tribalism and Sean O'Driscoll   The online battle, fanzines, tribalism and Sean O'Driscoll EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 8:43 pm

Andy_Symons wrote:
Nick wrote:

Dunno! You tell me! I was just "stalking, cutting, pasting,sniping" and saw an exchange between @cynicalgreen and the prez.

Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: The online battle, fanzines, tribalism and Sean O'Driscoll   The online battle, fanzines, tribalism and Sean O'Driscoll EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 8:44 pm

penzancepirate wrote:
Tringreen wrote:
Dougie wrote:

Did you teach English Tring ? lol!
Don't forget Brent himself is in a sweet shop. A private education and an easy 'in' to making money doesn't make you particularly immune to the smells of life anymore than anyone else.
Just maybe the confluence is three rivers, not just the two.

Hell's teeth, you really think so ? I still think he's using them and doesn't realise they represent less than 10% of potential fans and are going to alienate far, far more.
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: The online battle, fanzines, tribalism and Sean O'Driscoll   The online battle, fanzines, tribalism and Sean O'Driscoll EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 8:49 pm

Peggy wrote:
Dougie wrote:

Not just the flag, Dougie, but the whole imposition. Rarely getting within spitting distance of my seat, being endlessly jostled by kids jumping around and missing large chunks of the match because of the jumping around and waving of arms and scarves. No wonder the stewards (I went to primary school with the one getting it in the neck this week, and he's one of the nicest, gentlest, most polite people I know) are getting antsy - there's an accident waiting to happen in there.

Anyway - is there a link or something?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It's all there. Although I'm rather playing into the Presidents hands by copying and pasting. So if everyone would dash over and take a look for themselves that would be good. If you want to find favour the best thing to do seems to be to say 'don't let the freaks get you down'.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The online battle, fanzines, tribalism and Sean O'Driscoll   The online battle, fanzines, tribalism and Sean O'Driscoll EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 8:52 pm

Nick wrote:
Andy_Symons wrote:
Nick wrote:

Dunno! You tell me! I was just "stalking, cutting, pasting,sniping" and saw an exchange between @cynicalgreen and the prez.

Oh that. I'm none the wiser either. Chris just sent a tweet out of the blue, having a go at me; he seems to be upset about something I've written, somewhere. Despite several attempts at clarification I didn't get any sort of indication what I'd done to rattle his cage. Hopefully when he phones me in the morning It'll all become clearer.

Yours,

Baffled of Devonport
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: The online battle, fanzines, tribalism and Sean O'Driscoll   The online battle, fanzines, tribalism and Sean O'Driscoll EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 8:53 pm

I can't big gay bear to look.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The online battle, fanzines, tribalism and Sean O'Driscoll   The online battle, fanzines, tribalism and Sean O'Driscoll EmptyMon Jan 23, 2012 9:20 pm

These guys are desperate to shut us up, that's for sure. Considering the small amount of users constantly attempting to create more then one account, I would say they are becoming more and more desperate.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The online battle, fanzines, tribalism and Sean O'Driscoll   The online battle, fanzines, tribalism and Sean O'Driscoll Empty

Back to top Go down

The online battle, fanzines, tribalism and Sean O'Driscoll
Page 1 of 1